Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gaea

Discussion: The Magical Girl Epidemic

25 posts in this topic

So I see that there isn't much open action going on in the student section other than the mini-rp, so I thought I'd start a thread, get into the loop a little bit! :^)

So what I was thinking was a story idea I had at one point that I never did anything with. 

The premise is that either through a computer virus sent from a bizarre end of the internet or through a popular candy/sports drink brand, certain individuals get 'infected' by a virus that causes unfortunate side effects. Mainly, they become magical girls. It becomes branded as the magical girl disease, with side effects being that victims start sparkling, their hair changes color, and they undergo glittery transformations into peculiar magic frilly dresses before wielding colorful over-sized weapons and overzealous attacks with names like ~*~*Love Dreamer Miraculous Healing Storm*~*~. 

But not necessarily 'normal' magical girls, the side effects could also include mutating into monsters and out of control powers, whatever it is it's over the top, bonus points if it still manages to be super cliche to the magical girl genre. The overall idea that I was thinking of that it would be incredibly contagious, the disease features several stages as side effects appear very slowly, before a highlight phase where everything seems good and magical and "everyone should want this!!!" before the next stage kicks in, the side effects grow out of control and it starts to linger on the edge of psychological horror. 

They also may start hallucinating and attacking random civilians who they mistake for monsters? I wasn't sure if I wanted to add that, looking for some feedback. 

Certain characters try to avoid becoming infected, and if they do contract the disease, they might deal with trying to: stay sane, defeat their magical enemies, and avoid the company who released the product, who is now attempting to capture and contain any evidence of their product's side effects. 

Also, I say magical girl as an umbrella term so that people get the idea of the genre I'm talking about, the characters themselves could be any gender. 

A lot of the concept is still under development, though. Would anyone be interested in joining or collaborating on this? 

I am, in fact, midway through a Magical Girl RP with almost the exact same premise. (And the rest of my RPs are afflicted with terminal People-Stopped-Caring Syndrome.)

Yeah, I don't mind being in on this,

Oh golly, I didn't know! I know that feeling all too well, the last RP group I was in just fizzled out. Radical that you would be in on this, though!! 

Also if you were to join, consider giving a brief idea of what kind of character you would want to use! :^D So that we can plan themes out ahead and among other things. Stuff like personality, thematic elements in their magical persona, powers and maybe an idea of how the side effects go bad in their character. 

For an example, I was thinking my character could be an anxious kid with angel/occult themes, who ends up taking the magical thing too far and comes to the conclusion that the magical kids are the holy chosen ones or some other religious nonsense. For weapons I was thinking either a flaming sword or an enchanted looking staff that they end up smacking people with instead of casting any spells. 

I would probably end up playing the least appropriate person to be a Magical Girl in the history of mankind.

Perhaps a 6'5", 250 pound gloriously-bearded retired Marine who ends up with the cutesiest, most stereotypical magical girl outfit in existence, just because.

1 person likes this

This looks like it could become exceptionally amusing. My schedule can be a little (a lot) bad, but I think I can find the time.

Wstfgl, the question is, does he reject or embrace his new makeover?? 

Solyeuse, wonderful!! 
By the way, do any of you guys have ideas or feedback on anything the plot needs? I'm uncertain if the premise so far is enough to remain sustainable. 

Of course it isn't. There needs to be a plot of *some* sort, otherwise nothing's going to happen. It can be something really simple, that's fine.

He would be too insecure to accept the truth at first, but he will come to embrace it soon enough.

The stereotypical magical girl plot line is, of course, to fight evil magical girls with some vaguely defined evil plot to destroy all the love in the world or something.

Ero, of course! 
And what a cute marine dude. Nothing like big guys with a feminine side. 

There should be an emphasis on the technical side of it, of how it's a disease. They develop strong negative symptoms such as hallucinations and paranoia. Maybe those who have contracted it see it otherwise, believing that the healthy have been cursed by an evil entity and that it is their mission to 'cure' the healthy by spreading the virus. 

An easy antagonist could be the company who accidentally caused the spread, they attempt to quarantine the illness, which involves fighting and containing the magical girls. Masks and fullbody suits used to prevent catching it could easily be mistaken by hallucinating sick people as evil monsters that they must fight to defend love itself.  

I'm gonna be away for the next 36 hours or so? So if y'all decide on a plot by then, I'll roll with it. If not, whatever.

So a summary of the basic plot so far.

The characters try to stay healthy but individually end up catching the disease, begin hallucinating and fighting other magical girls and magic related 'monsters' that are fighting to contain them, and during the entire thing they are struggling to remain sane, find some sort of cure and not mutate into freaky anime monsters. 

Does that sound good?

Knew I was forgetting something. How about this:

A well-known company recently released a new test product, a popular sugary drink, into the city very shortly before the epidemic started. Not everyone who consumes it contracts the condition, but everyone who has contracted the condition had the drink shortly before their symptoms started to appear. Albeit a cliche, the endgame is to investigate the source of the disease, the company who is trying to cover it up and discover how to stop it before the characters lose their minds altogether. 

I'll be gone for four days - this is not a good time for me. Afterwards, I'll be more free. If someone could drop a PM to Ero, that'd be great stuff.

That's alright! I've got many irons in the fire at the moment as well, but I'll do my best to drop in periodically. However, at the moment we should work on the setup of the thing. Specifically, characters. I've also come up for a pseudo-explanation for the themes of the costumes.

The test product that causes it is a series of sugary drinks. All coming in matching labels, and color-coded for flavor, the company was trying a new marketing scheme where each bottle had an customized slogan on the bottle. Cheesy things such as "It tastes like a dream", "Feel the spark", or "Love fever". Each character who had the drink had a specific slogan, which later becomes the theme for their magical personas. Someone who had the love fever bottle would have a cupid style outfit and powers, tastes like a dream would lead to an outfit that would be pajamas themed with a power related to dreams, etc.

Without further ado, here's the character form. 

Name:
Background:
Original Appearance: 
Magical Persona:
 (How your character changes after getting infected. Hair colour, ridiculously short magical girl skirt, weapon, special abilities, etc. you should probably include a vague idea of the negative symptoms your character goes through, and a potential monster form if they ever come to that)
Theme/Slogan:
Other: 

Sure. I can work with that. Give me a few days, I'm still a little busy.

Gaea, you still there?

(I don't post my character sheet first by habit, and I'm not gonna start! Procrastination, ho!)

Oh golly, I'm sorry! I've been a little busy with school, but yes I am here and the roleplay is still down to go. I wanted to see if anyone else would post their thing first, but I guess I will! :^D

Name: Blythe Peterson

Personality:  An anxious child who speaks politely, formal even to close friends. One of those kids who would gasp and cover their mouth after accidentally saying the word “heck†and warn people about the dangers of stepping on cracks or walking underneath a ladder. A perfectionist at heart, frugal, insecure, and ambitious with a firm belief that the ends justify the means. Dislikes physical contact, plays the trumpet but isn’t very good at it, adores the occult and does some amateur tarot reading. Her grandma confiscated her ouija board after she tried to summon the demon ghost of her dad.  Enjoys vintage devices and going to thrift stores. 

Background:
Comes from a very poor family. around age 10, her dad kicked the bucket. Her 17 year old brother up and left, and her elder sister had already moved out and started a family of her own long ago. Her mother sent her off to live in the city with her strict religious grandmother. She knows what it's like to rough it, and was never very good at making friends while growing up. 

Original Appearance:   Standing stiffly at 5’2, Blythe is a chubby girl of mostly hispanic descent. Her dark hair is loosely pulled into a pair of braids, a couple stray strands curl around her face and unsettlingly calm eyes. She dresses in what are obviously patched up hand-me-downs and she never knows where to rest her hands. 
(image coming soon!)

Magical Persona: Either a pastel blue or lilac hair. Magical girl outfit is very flowy/drape-y. Weapon is a staff. A glowing halo floats restlessly above her head. Has a pair of small wings protruding from her back that grow over time. The wings never stop growing. Before too long feathers overtake her figure, too many wings, feathers cover her skin. Eldritch abomination feathers.
She begins to obsessively believe that she is an actual angel, and the magical girls are celestial chosen ones. She starts becoming more aggressive and overzealous the further her wings have grown.

Theme/Slogan: “Heaven in a Bottle†Heavy emphasis on angelic symbolism. Maybe some retro graphics themes as well. 

Other:

I was gonna take the wings, but ehh. This works too.

Name: Anna Milyutina

Personality: Highly tactful, Anna is always mindful of her audience, and generally tailors her speech to get on their good side and stay on their good side. Generally, if there's bad news, Anna is the one who know best how to break it and get in the least amount of trouble. Her naturally soft-spoken demeanor helps to project a harmless, friendly persona, an image she tries her best to maintain. Though she is kind of a suck-up, she's genuinely friendly enough to everyone, so most people are fine with her.

Background: Anna is a final-year psychiatry student at a mid-tier university (she's pretty good at it). Her parents are solidly in the middle-class and she has two younger siblings (the elder is in second-year med school and the younger is in first-year law school; it's no wonder her biggest worry is student debt). Aside from that, nothing. A couple of bad breakups, a childhood best friend who she's no longer best friends with, standard, everyday stuff that everyone has. Completely ordinary except for the fact that...

Original Appearance: ...she's ethnically half-Russian, or whatever the equivalent of Russian is if this isn't Earth-n; her father's parents were migrants at the ripe young age of 20-ish. Her mixed heritage gives Anna a strikingly pretty appearance, with straight blond hair that falls to her shoulder blades. Anna generally dresses conservatively, in light pinks, whites and sky blues that compliment her hair. And yes, I did look up Russian surnames.

Magical Persona: "Mind-blowing goodness." Anna's naturally blond hair (it stays blond) lengthens and weaves into a single braid that falls to the lower back. Her outfit is a long-sleeved winter dress in khaki with dark gloves, pants and boots. A fur hat tops off the look. Not a very good outfit for summer, but hey, who cares? Her magical weapon of choice is a set of replenishing throwing cards a la Gambit. Considering her magic form has psychic powers, this tends to work out pretty well - telekinesis, short-distance teleportation (say, up to five metres with a requisite line-of-sight), psychic energy shields and rainbow-coloured magic rays of damage. That's the extent of it.

As time passes, her magical-psychic capabilities improve; only slightly, but it's a noticeable improvement. Which makes it reasonable enough to think that she'll develop additional abilities, namely, mind-reading. Which she won't, but Anna doesn't know that. Remember that she's a psychiatry student, her future career is hinged on curing people of psychosis. Let's just think about that for a minute in our given setting and imagine how it might backfire. She'll also develop a split personality over time - let's not go too into details.

Other: Dislikes apples; is fluent in Russian.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0