Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Davion_Jaill

How much for a sword?

21 posts in this topic

A small village is under threat by a group of bandits, they extort, kidnap, rape and steal. Tired of the continuous harassment they seek outside help to save them, but without treasure of any kind what sort of mercenary can they hire? Hungry ones!

I am interested in a low-fantasy medieval RP: less magic, more grumbling. Develop down-on-your-luck mercenaries or down-trodden villagers. Whatever might fit into the story. I think 4 participants would be ideal. I'll release some more background stuff once I think it up. 

Ooooo, I like medieval RP's. Hope you get some more info in soon!

I want to develop the backstory as we go. You are free to develop species or cultures as you see fit.

The basic area is the small town in the corner of a kingdom, relatively isolated. The town is under the control of a distant lord who most stays at the capital and rarely even bothers to collect taxes from his holdings. The town is largely self-sufficient and relies on an informal democracy (gathering together and shouting at each other) to get things done. A village sheriff is responsible for settling disputes or investigating crimes. The village also looks to the eldest member for advice in troubling times. There is a town a day away by foot, maybe half a day by a small boat or mounted. 

The town is a small cluster of buildings gathered into a small valley. The valley narrows on the east side of the town into canyon through which the stream flows. The stream meanders through the valley towards the sea, many miles to the west. The ground is generally flat and is surrounded by heavily wooded hills on three sides, wit more gently rolling hills to the west, covered in thick brush and a few trees. The land closer to the stream is marshy, but the rest of the flat lands are arable and under cultivation. 

The weather is rainy in the summer and snowy in the winter, but the stream never freezes. It is a constant struggle against the conditions to grow sufficient crops to survive. 

The inhabitants are a mixture of local races. The town is about 2/5 humans who mostly farm or log, 1/5 is lizard men who cluster close to the stream in a complex of mud houses and fish for a living, 1/5 elves who also farm or hunt, 1/5 other races who have wandered in. The town is maybe 100 souls, mostly living roughly in family or clan groups. Each family group lives in a series of tightly packed homes, each complex separated by narrow alleys. Some individual live in the area, mostly displaced from recent strife in the wider world who settle in this secluded valley. 

The inhabitants mostly ignore the inter-species conflicts of the wider world in favor of simple inter-personal conflicts (stealing, gossiping, jealousy, bar fights over nothing, etc). Murder is rare, petty theft is uncommon. Land disputes or complaints over noises or smells in the tight packed quarters serve as the main topic at village meetings or court sessions. 

Are you taking about a single town in that description or are there two of them?

I could do a villager if you'd still want someone to play that part :) Could you tells us about what you might be thinking for your own character?

And do you have any character template in mind specifically? I tend to like having strict rules to roleplay so it's easier to comply to what your imagination is forming up, but if it's no problem to you then that's alright as well. :)

I have a character in mind for this too~ Let me know if you're going to set a template or if I can just write up a character freestyle!

So everything seems pretty much sorted round these parts now. Davion can stick a CS template up should he wish it and then it's character time, I should think.

Feel free to have multiple characters, either to start with or as it the RP progress. Introduce characters and needed, kill them off as needed. I was planning on two characters. 

Anyone have a rating preference? I was thinking R just to be safe. 

Name:

Race:

Appearance:

Background:

Whatever else:

Mercenary:

Name: Stuart Davion

Race: Human

Appearance: A human of average height, pale skin, red hair chopped short. His clothing is travel-worn but mended and well fitted. He travels on foot, carrying a canvas bag, a dark green wool cloak with separate hood, faded blue tunic, leather boots, and wool trousers. He carries a bastard sword, and knife. 

Background: Served as a foot soldier and engineer on a few smaller campaigns. Participated in two sieges in his time, no home to speak of. One day hopes to have a safe and secure home far from the constant warring (at least the worst of it), maybe own land. 

Whatever else: nothing at the moment. 

Here's mine, tentatively.

Name: Iirin An'Aaria

Race: Elvish

Appearance: So lithe and slender is his build that he's been hailed as more attractive than human females. His muscles are strong, but lean and close to the bone, under moon-pale flesh that blends light pink and cool blue for a hue. His hair is long, straight and thin-stranded, reaching down to the base of his spine if he leaves it loose. The hue is a warm brown, which picks up the color of his amber eyes. He wears mostly the colors of the forest, being a hunter, and always carries a longbow and quiver. His clothing is fitted, giving no disguise to his effeminate build. Though his waist makes him look misleadingly tall, he's only 5'8.

Background: Iirin has always been nomadic. He never knew the kingdoms of his people, only that the kingdoms the humans built were no home his parents ever accepted. He was raised mostly by his mother, who taught him to hunt. His father left them when he was young, and thought he never knew the story, it seemed he'd said he was "tired of running". Now grown, Iirin knows of the wars and the siege that his parents tried to run from, and he makes his way alone in the world for the next source of money, comfort, or food.

Whatever else: Iirin is a sweet thing, at heart. Though his life forces some degree of isolation to survive, he's desperate for some friendly living companionship, and has helped a fair number of people for more than he owed them just to linger in company a little longer.

Here's my character, I hope nothing is too far fetched or out of what you had in mind, Davion. Any problems, feel free to give me a shout in here or a PM.

Name: Tavaron Caildas

Race: High Elf

Appearance: Tavaron stands tall among the elves, but average when around humans, and has long limbs with hard, flexible muscles. His eyes shine a near gold and his hair is a fiery orange and long enough to hang down to his backside if he did not style it into three plaits that run down his back. Tavaron wears a sleeveless tunic the colour of dried blood with matching trousers that are tucked into black leather boots that rise halfway to his knee. Over his chest he wears a dark grey, metal cuirass that glints in the sun with curved pauldrons that hang over his shoulders and cover the outside of his upper arms. Carved into the cuirass along the bottom and edges, are the swirling branches of trees with large leaves and at its center is the Sigil of the King’s Guards of the Capital.

Weapons: Strapped to a leather belt around his waist and held at his right side is the long sword that all King’s guards are given upon initiation. Strapped over his left shoulder are two small curved knives with leaves carved into the blades; a gift from his father.

Background: Tavaron is…rather, was, a member of the King’s Guard at the Capital. His father arranged for him to take the entrance test upon coming of age and Tavaron aced it as near no-one had before him. As a prodigy among prodigies, Tavaron quickly rose through the ranks of the guards until he was assigned personally to the King’s detail itself. Within this role, he was posted to the King’s side at all times and when bearing the King’s seal, he would hold the power of the King in his hands. A number of weeks before arriving in the village, Tavaron was asked by the King to attend to a Lord in the North and express the King’s distaste for how the Lord was running his jurisdiction.

However, when Tavaron arrived at the Lord’s manor, he found the man had been slain in his bed, the bloodied blade of a King’s guard pierced into his chest. When he removed the sword, it was unfortunate timing as the Lord’s aide entered the room at that point in time. Giving Tavaron no time to explain, the aide escaped the manor and sought the help of the local contingent of the Royal army. When they arrived, the Commander was sympathetic to Tavaron’s claim but asked to take him into custody until the issue could be cleared up. Stubborn as he was, Tavaron refused and one of the guards attempted to subdue him, resulting in Tavaron killing him. Thus his now on the run from the Royal Army and a warrant for his arrest has been issued by the King.

Whatever else: During his escape, Tavaron received a deep axe wound to his right hip. The sword of whoever killed the Lord is wrapped in blankets and strapped to his horse.

The idea is that he has fallen from his high perch in the world and now must become accustomed to living life simply. Again, I can change anything if you need me to! :)

Again, I can change anything if you need me to! :)

I was thinking we all develop the background and flavor of it as we go. So throw whatever in and see how it develops.

No rating preferance.

Name: Saena Mattens

Race: Human

Appearance: A young woman with a slender figure (almost too slender due to malnutrition and excessive scavenging). A long body length, dirtied grey and brown cloak falls over her shoukders with a hood (non-detachable). Underneath she wears stolen cloth from tunics of boys and men to dresses of the rich and poor. After she's worn it out, she looks for a new one. Shoes and other trinkets she may have on hand have all been stolen. Her skin is pale, but not perfect as its been scratched at by the earth and it's inhabitants. The sun has darkened her feet and the high points of her face causing tiny freckles to form. Her eyes are ocean blue, almost too blue to be natural and her hair, usually unseen and tucked in her hood, is a charcoal and endless black as it reaches down to the backs of her knees. Weaponry, in order to defend herself, comsists of a small stiletto which has so far been helpful in the situations shes encountered. Her stealth and swift legs keep her away from encountering fights face to face. She carries a small woven rucksack for her "belongings".

Background: Saena grew up in a town far from the one she lives in currently. She knew nothing about it considering her age and knew nothing, as well, about the reason her parents had taken her to a new town. This time, they had settled down well enough, though something had gone wrong. Saena's father had gone out to the market to set up his medicine and herbs on a stand he'd purchased just as he'd done in their previous home. Unforunately, someone had found that the medicine had been poisonous after they'd taken it and accused the father of witchcraft. Though, no one believed them until someone else had found a defect as well. After a few months, Saena, still tucked into bed had found thaf her parents had never returned. Something had happened to them and ever since then she'd been on the lookout. She'd survived for years and she considered herself lucky and only for a single reason. Her ultimate goal was survival so she could find the answers she was looking for.

Personality: Saena doesnt speak to anyone. She keeps everything to herself considering the fact that life has always been about survial to her. If she were to save another person/creature from an impending doom, she would have found them quite valuable. Otherwise, if she isnt helping her cause in any way, then it is of no concern to her. She is also reaching the age of 21, but knows very little about months and years and any other type of knowlegde includinf reading and writing. Speaking might not be something she does often, but she can understand the languages of the people/creatures and can respond fluently.

Home: lives on the streets and in the wooded areas in between towns. Usually found in high up places, for example: trees, roofs, near windows, on top of crates etc.

While I'm sure there is a space for another, Miracle-ka, I'm not sure how alive this RP is at the moment. It's nice to see some interest though!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0