Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shelmii

Weirdest foods you've eaten or wish you could

28 posts in this topic

I tried Eel for the first time ever in my life and duck too, but it tastes like chicken so no surprise there. But Eel. Oh gosh, I am so glad I choose the Chinese Menu in a Chinese restaurant. The American menu was weak sauce compared to that.

I feel so accomplished and a super hero. Now I must try frog legs and live the octopus in Korea as it sticks to my esophagus.

Just wanted to everyone to share about their weird foods tasting experience including dishes you've eaten and ones you would never want to try based on appearance, smell or texture. I know there are people of all types of ethnicities on here so tell us about the foods from your country or a country you've been to.

I bet all of you have tried some crazy things, but no matter what I feel ridiculously magnificent after my accomplishment. Make fun of me, I dare you.

You must eat frog's legs. Frog's legs are the bestttttt. They're sooooo much more tender than chicken. You must eat it cooked with garlic, and whatever sauce they use in Chinese eateries. I love them.

Eel and duck are both pretty great too. I eat eel as unagi, so there's the Japanese soya sauce and it was so great. I can eat eel forever.

Duck is pretty good too, especially when braised. It's tougher than chicken, but I prefer it Peking duck style -- a small slice wrapped in a lettuce leaf and dipped with sweet sauce.

OMG I'm so hungry now.

Hm when I went to Yunnan, China, a few years ago, I ate deep-fried insects! Mealworms and fruitflies I think. The mealworms were pretty tasteless but the flies were crunchy. Actually anything deep-fried kinda tastes the same. XD

That was it, Unagi! That was the eel I ate. It's skin was chewy and extremely buttery though. It was so good. :)

And I ate them with chop sticks so that makes me a super pro.

You're making me salivate and I ate so much today!

LOL! I ate tiny piece of a worm that was apparently dipped in a powder that was supposed to make it taste like meaty, but I remember it tasting like tacos. Though it doesn't count cause you're so much cooler than me!! I WANT EAST ASIA TO TAKE ME AWAY.

> duck

> weird food

That's a little sad.

Weirdest thing I've eaten is probably escargots. (snails, for the unenlightened) Honestly, they don't taste like anything, all I could taste was the pesto that they serve it with.

I don't eat weird food, don't think.

My grandpa is always sucking on balut, though, so it's usually in the house. Can't stand watching him eat it, ugh.

the broth surrounding the embryo is sipped from the egg before the shell is peeled, and the yolk and young chick inside can be eaten.

eeewuwuwuww and that sounds nicer than it actually looks

When I saw Sono's name appear as most recent poster, I knew something about balut would show up. Balut sounds pretty horrifying.

Actually, lots of things eaten in Asia must seem pretty weird to foreigners. That fish sauce they serve everywhere in Vietnam is basically distilled rotten fish juice, and belachan, a very common condiment around my neck of the woods, is basically fermented (read: decomposed) shrimp mush.

Actually, there is something I've eaten that might be as weird as escargots -- Taiwanese "smelly tofu". Smells like an open sewer, and doesn't actually taste all that bad. Pretty much like tofu with a richer, sorta nutty flavor.

Oooh, I think belachan is the same as bagoong. I was going to mention that too but I wasn't sure if it was weird. I suppose pink nasty shrimp paste puts people off. Haha.

The strong smell grosses most people out but it just makes me sooooo hungry. I love the smell of bagoong. omg =A=;;;

I've seen something at some posh Chinese seafood restaurants that I can't afford called geoduck.

Sounds innocuous, and probably tastes fairly innocuous, until you have a look at a live specimen.

geoduck-size.jpg

Said seafood restaurants pride themselves on fresh ingredients, and will display tanks of these things at the shop front.

Ugh, those are always gross.

they look like sea elephant dongs

1 person likes this

Geoduck tastes fairly...mild actually, a little less flavor than an abalone.

I dunno, most food that may seem weird to you guys are actually fairly common in Singapore. Frog legs, pig innards (actually just about any animal's innard), duck (?) all are pretty common here. I guess the "weirdest" food I wish I could eat is molecular cuisine. Pretty hard to find and expensive in Singapore.

Actually, have any of you guys eaten century egg before? Pretty common in Singapore too, but I've heard its an acquired taste overseas.

Well, a geoduck is just a perverted clam, so I'd expect it would taste pretty mild. I'm pretty sure the only reason it's so expensive is because it looks like a floppy disembodied manatee dong is said to be an aphrodisiac.

I just had a bowl of soup that was like 50% pig organs for dinner.

It was pretty great.

You all have me beat. Ive have snake before, and alligator. Thats about the extent of my exploration. That and just about anything serves at public school x.x

I remember one of my friends from Beijing thought American fast food was weird (gross) because it was so greasy. She was familiar with it, but it was extremely hard to eat and was the only thing they served on our campus aside from salads which are 10 dollars and are not so filling.

Geo duck, I didn't know that existed in this world.

Honestly meatloaf sounds like the weirdest dish ever to me.

What is this, I don't even

1 person likes this

Actually, have any of you guys eaten century egg before? Pretty common in Singapore too, but I've heard its an acquired taste overseas.

What's century egg? Did I miss something? It might be one of those foreign foods fancy rich people eat. :P

> century eggs

> rich people

1361246712217.gif

Okay, century egg is pretty much a kind of preserved egg that's turned black from whatever stuff they use to make it. It's usually eaten with porridge.

1 person likes this

> century eggs

> rich people1361246712217.gif

Okay, century egg is pretty much a kind of preserved egg that's turned black from whatever stuff they use to make it. It's usually eaten with porridge.

So it is for rich people?

Adhere to the almighty CENTURY EGG. Eaten with porridge. /said in a Dothraki man voice

I'm pretty sure Wst is implying it isn't expensive. It's called century egg because some people say the egg is packed in mud, hay and horse urine ammonia for a hundred years. Obviously, this isn't true, considering no one would actually wait a hundred years for an egg.

Century_egg_sliced_open.jpeg

Personally I don't think this is weird but I want to eat dog, mostly so I can tell people I'll eat their dog. 

I once ate half a bag (let's say 15 or so) of deepfried these (or something similar to these):

grasshopper7.jpg

They were ok, all I tasted was the soy sauce but you should try them some time, they are supposed to be very healthy.

And I want to eat turtle, the great turtle is supposed to be SUPER tasty. (in fact, so tasty, they had trouble naming the damn thing for years because they had to be shipped to England to be named, but they were always eaten before they arrived XD)

I haven't eaten any weird foods, but I've eaten non-foods. Well, things you wouldn't normally decide to have a munch on.

Grass - all kids tries eating grass, right?

Cat food

An Ariel non-bio table - basically detergent for a washing machine. It looked nice. It did not, however, taste nice.

Speaking of turtle, i love eating Gui Ling Gao, which is jelly made from the underside of a tortoise's shell. Or turtle. We don't discriminate them very well in Mandarin.

It's black and a bit bitter and is kinda like pudding. It's really great when you add honey to it though.

Also century egg is the best. It's supposed to have been buried underground for a century so it's i suppose fermented? They just process eggs in factories to make them like this more quickly now. But yes, to me century egg is best egg.