Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ria

Former RPer getting back into it

15 posts in this topic

Hi. I'm new around these parts, but I used to RP pretty often on other forums. I've been itching to get back into it for a while.

Let's see, a little about myself... I've been playing video games pretty much all my life. SNES RPGs first got me interested in game writing, which is something I think about a lot. I read books, I used to try to write them, I'd like to finish one just like seemingly everyone else... I'm into fantasy and tabletop RPGs, mostly for the characters. I...don't really know how to end introduction threads?

...Hi.

Hi Ria! Welcome to the forums!

What's your favorites SNES RPG? I didn't grow up with a Nintendo (I was a Sega/Playstation girl, and still am), but I'm curious to know which ones inspired you to get into game writing. :)

Hi welcome to surreality. Video game storytelling is really interesting stuff. The interactive element of video games really changes how you can relate with your audience. Don't get me started though I could waffle on about that stuff forever!

Thanks Blackfrost and ack!

I suppose I'd go with the standard answers: Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger. FF6 has a ton of characters that (mostly) all contribute something and have a story arc that's worked into and doesn't distract from the main plot. Chrono Trigger does kind of the opposite in that you only see a couple character arcs through to the end without going on sidequests, but the world-building is strong enough that you'll stumble onto sidequests just by exploring the logical places. I thought both games had cool ways of telling complex stories (for the time, anyway) with limited technology.

The game that inspired me most to learn about game writing was a text adventure by Emily Short called Galatea. It features one room and one character to interact with, but I spent hours playing it. There's just a lot you can do and more ways the game can end than I can even remember.

1 person likes this

Welcome aboard.

I read books, I used to try to write them, I'd like to finish one just like seemingly everyone else... I'm into fantasy and tabletop RPGs, mostly for the characters. I...don't really know how to end introduction threads?

I'm curious if you've ever tried NaNoWriMo? That's an excellent way to accomplish the goal of writing a complete novel-length story, and its coming up soonish after all.

Are you into all kinds of fantasy, or favour more specific sorts such as high fantasy?

This is nerdy but I've played Galatea before. Haha. I actually enjoy writing interactive fiction in that vein, but it's really time-consuming and mentally exhausting. Even with programs that facilitate writing them you still have to keep the mental links there, so it gets tiring in that department. I kind of considered doing one for NaNoWriMo but I wasn't sure how to go about that. (Even though I rebel with a non-novel every year now....)

Anyway, hey there. Hope you find something to jump back into here.

I'm curious if you've ever tried NaNoWriMo?

I have! I've done it three times. The first time, I wrote the worst novel in history. It was a great learning experience. The second and third times, I gave up halfway through and just made notes for the rest of the month. I look at it as a way to practice rather than a way to write something that could be published. I'm out of practice, so I might give it another shot this year.

Are you into all kinds of fantasy, or favour more specific sorts such as high fantasy?

Pretty much all kinds. What appeals to me most about fantasy is the detailed worlds, which is a staple of high fantasy, but sometimes high fantasy describes the world for the sake of the reader and not through the actions of a character, which I find boring because no matter how detailed a world is, things need to happen in them. I guess I could just say "I like fantasy that's written well," but that's not much of an answer.

This is nerdy but I've played Galatea before. Haha. I actually enjoy writing interactive fiction in that vein, but it's really time-consuming and mentally exhausting.

Neat, someone else played Galatea. :) I've played around with Inform7, and, well...what it's capable of is really impressive, but "time-consuming and mentally exhausting" describes it pretty well.

Ahh, I've played FFVI and Chrono Trigger... Once each, actually. I have one friend that absolutely loves FFVI and another that absolutely loves Chrono Trigger (Antwaine on the forums), but I felt like one time was good enough for me. I feel like my taste in video games must be pretty bad, but my favorite RPGs would have to be FFIX and Valkyrie Profile... Of course, both being Playstation One games!

I feel like my taste in video games must be pretty bad, but my favorite RPGs would have to be FFIX and Valkyrie Profile... Of course, both being Playstation One games!

I don't really know anything about Valkyrie Profile, but I think FF9 is a better game than a lot of people give it credit for.

I have! I've done it three times. The first time, I wrote the worst novel in history. It was a great learning experience. The second and third times, I gave up halfway through and just made notes for the rest of the month. I look at it as a way to practice rather than a way to write something that could be published. I'm out of practice, so I might give it another shot this year.

Pretty much all kinds. What appeals to me most about fantasy is the detailed worlds, which is a staple of high fantasy, but sometimes high fantasy describes the world for the sake of the reader and not through the actions of a character, which I find boring because no matter how detailed a world is, things need to happen in them. I guess I could just say "I like fantasy that's written well," but that's not much of an answer.

I must disagree - my completed NaNo work was the worst novel in history, haha. I've only done it twice all up, one fail one finish.

I'm inclined to think that NaNo is a great way to output the necessary volume of text to constitute a novel, but there needs to be something like a NaNo event solely for editing as well, because its just as much if not more work to actually turn any completed work into something publishable. And the same as one procrastinates and struggles with blank pages and an incomplete story, its just as bad struggling to maintain motivation to edit what seems to always look a lot worse in retrospect than it did when being written.

I get what you mean about fantasy. There is an inclination to just lay out the history and details of the world too overtly, where there's a certain magic in discovering it through characters more subtly. I think an appeal of fantasy is mystery and possibility, both of which can be silenced if you just tell rather than show.

I'm inclined to think that NaNo is a great way to output the necessary volume of text to constitute a novel, but there needs to be something like a NaNo event solely for editing as well, because its just as much if not more work to actually turn any completed work into something publishable. And the same as one procrastinates and struggles with blank pages and an incomplete story, its just as bad struggling to maintain motivation to edit what seems to always look a lot worse in retrospect than it did when being written.

A lot of people use December for editing NaNo, but I agree. There's just not a good enough push to edit the same way there's a frantic outpouring of sheer action during NaNo. Not even Camp NaNo gets much buzz.

FF9 was pretty great, but for me, my favourites always went (from best to worst) -  8, 7, 10, 9, 13-2, 13, 10-2.

The only reason 7 was lower than 8 was because I always enjoyed the love story in 8 more than the angsty self confusion of 7. Otherwise 7 would be the best game out of the lot. I hope they eventually get over themselves and admit that their recent games have been a bit pleh and return to what they used to do.

What were we talking about again? lol

Oh yeah, I get distracted easily, welcome to the forums Ria!! I hope you find a lot of like-minded people to chat and roleplay with, enjoy yourself and if you have any problems don't hesitate to contact a member of staff, we're always available. Probably.

Well hello there Ria. It's a pleasure to meet you. I love meeting new people. What type of fantasy stories did you write? Do you still continue to write them? Sorry anyway feel free to call me Raine, Bells, whatever it all works out. Hope you enjoy it here! =)

Thanks for the welcome posts, everyone. You guys and gals seem pretty great. ^_^

I must disagree - my completed NaNo work was the worst novel in history, haha. I've only done it twice all up, one fail one finish.

I'm inclined to think that NaNo is a great way to output the necessary volume of text to constitute a novel, but there needs to be something like a NaNo event solely for editing as well, because its just as much if not more work to actually turn any completed work into something publishable.

Haha. I've heard a lot of writers say that about their first novel. Like I said earlier, it's a great learning experience.

It would be great if the people behind NaNo organized an editing month. I knew a local group of writers who took part in NaNo and put together their own editing event in March.

What type of fantasy stories did you write? Do you still continue to write them?

I tried mystery-themed urban fantasy twice, war-themed medieval fantasy once with no unnamed characters (that one got bloated and meandering quickly), and I have notes from a bunch of other short-lived projects and random ideas tucked away somewhere. It's been a while since I tried to write anything - I've been shifting my focus to other areas of study, plus I'm focused on my career right now - but I intend to get back into it the way I got into it in the first place, through roleplaying.

Hullo and welcome! I am also quite new here, and also getting back into roleplaying! Also also getting back into writing by getting back into roleplaying. Also also also I played Galatea quite a bit. Hurrah!

1 person likes this