ELDRITCH HORROR

Eldritch Horror is a cooperative game of investigation and
horror inspired by the writings of H. P. Lovecraft. In each
game, one of the Ancient Ones, a being of unimaginable power
that predates time itself, is awakening. Players take on the roles
of investigators who are attempting to solve mysteries, defend
humanity from unimaginable horrors, and ultimately banish
the Ancient One from this world. If investigators fail at their
task, the Ancient One awakens, and mankind is doomed.

So there's this board game by this name and it seemed like it would work well in a forum setting, particularly because there's room for light RPing. The above description is from the rulebook and describes the game adequately. But to try to elaborate a bit more on what the gameplay is like:

On a person's turn there'll be a number of actions they can choose from to do, from fighting monsters (dice rolling and stat comparison) to exploring cities (drawing cards with potentially good or bad effects, or requiring dice rolling and stat tests) to interacting with other players (trading items or assisting them with rolls to accomplish tasks or remove conditions). Player characters have several stats, can acquire items (as well as curses or debilitating effects), and must preserve their HP and Sanity or perish (a defeated player can be looted - depending on the specific character it may be easier or harder to collect their things. Additionally when a player is defeated they can rejoin the game as a new character, if there are any remaining).

The cards and such have a lot of flavour text for the sake of immersion, so I'll be embellishing that further and delivering info as such. Likewise, players could write a paragraph describing their actions IC and just bolding the technical, relevant info, if they like. The characters in the game normally have set portraits and personality and such, but to the aforementioned end I'll merely list the occupation and stats of a character and players can give it a personality of their own choosing. I'm not sure of the exact period the game is set in, but I'm guessing the 1920s or 1930s from the looks of the portraits and items (and the fact the picture for Sydney shows an incomplete harbor bridge so that pins the date in that range).

There's not too much to learn to be able to play, and as this is a cooperative game people can always help each other out. This needs a minimum of 2 players, up to a maximum of 8.

So, say so here if you're interested!

I'll provide more information about mechanics later, but for now here's the titles of the available character options, the board, and the particular Ancient One this game will star (there are 4 total that each play differently, so if this goes well then future games could become sequels against different ancient ones):

The Shaman, The Politician, The Redeemed Cultist, The Psychic, The Musician, The Expedition Leader, The Martial Artist, The Actress, The Soldier, The Astronomer, The Sailor, The Spy

Udjy7RY.jpg

eKn3vQk.png

Wouldn't musician be more fitting for an idol?

Anyway dibs on spy.

Okay so below are the full character details. I'll give a very quick rundown of the basics of some of the terms so you have some picture of what the characters are good for. If these seem confusing, fret not, I'll explain things more properly later:

Phases. There are 3 phases to each person's turn: Actions, Encounters, and Mythos. The last of which is not something a player can affect or control, but merely happens each turn (so I'll take care of that step entirely). Action Phase is where you take one of several minor actions such as moving or resting. Encounter Phase is the meaty part where you can draw cards to accomplish things or fight monsters etc.

Tests are basically just where you roll a number of 6-sided dice depending on your relevant stat and seek to beat a certain goal. "Successes" are 5s and 6s, typically a test requires 1 success to pass. If one is to "Test Lore" it means roll dice equal to your Lore skill, and if you get one Success then you pass the test. Combat works as a test, although you need more successes depending on the monster you're facing.

Gates are portals to the Other World. They basically spawn monsters periodically. They can be closed by venturing inside and completing a test depending on which card is drawn for it. They themselves spawn in random locations around the world.

Monsters don't really move around, they camp where their portal is. However, as long as a Monster is on a space, your available actions there are extremely limited until you wipe out ALL monsters from that space. Monsters have a damage and horror value. Damage basically hurts your health and horror hurts your sanity.

Flip this card. This is not a good phrase. Most cards that have that line will have some bad effects when you flip it. In the game, cards are two-sided, but you cannot look at the back side until the card tells you to flip it (hence I won't be showing the back sides). Also of note: the exact same card, such as two of the same spell, can have different back side effects - so even if you know the possible effects, you won't know which set will be on the back of your card till you flip it. To give you an idea about characters with starting spells that say to flip them when used, the possible effects will depend on how many successes you roll when casting the spell - they range from the spell failing and forcing you to either discard it or suffer a Condition, succeeding but harming your health or sanity slightly, or in some cases succeeding above and beyond the normal effects of the spell.

Conditions. These are basically curses or injuries, status effects. Things like Internal Injury, Detained, Debt, Injured Back, etc. Most of these can be cured by taking an action on your turn and rolling well enough. Many of these have Flip this Card effects that make things worse before they get better.

Clues are used to solve mysteries. To win, at least against this first Ancient One, you have to solve 3 mysteries. These are cards that will appear during the Mythos phase. Generally, you fulfill some condition in order to be allowed to place a Clue onto the Mystery, and once it has enough Clues it becomes solved.

Assets are basically items. There'll be several items in the bank that players can spend an action to try to buy. You basically have to roll and then your successes determines what value of items you can buy. For characters who start with Assets, the number in parenthesis next to the name indicates how many successes the item is worth if one were to buy it from the bank.

Spells can be cast for positive effects. They tend to have Flip effects as drawbacks. They cannot be easily acquired like Assets can, however, so use them wisely.

The Shaman

Starting Location: South Africa. Starts with 1 Clue

Vital Stats
Health: 5
Sanity: 7

Skill Stats

Lore :3
Influence: 2
Observation: 2
Strength: 2
Will: 4

Abilities

• ACTION: Learn the locations of the next 2 Gates to appear. You may place 1 Gate on the top of the stack and the other on the bottom.
  • When you close a Gate during an Other World Encounter, you may move to any space containing a Clue or a Gate.

Spells/Assets

• Spell: Mists of Releh (Incantation)
    • During the Encounter Phase, you may test Lore. If you pass, you may ignore the presence of monsters on your space when choosing an encounter. Then Flip this card.

The Politician

Starting Location: San Francisco, USA.

Vital Stats
Health: 4
Sanity: 8

Skill Stats
Lore: 2
Influence: 4
Observation: 3
Will: 2

Abilities

• ACTION: Another investigator of your choice may immediately perform 1 additional action.
  • When you perform an Acquire Assets action, you may allow other investigators to gain any cards you purchase.

Spells/Assets

• Asset: Personal Assistant (Ally) (2)
    • Gain +1 Influence
    • You may reroll 1 die when resolving an Influence test

The Redeemed Cultist

Starting Location: Central America

Vital Stats
Health: 7
Sanity: 5

Skill Stats
Lore: 4
Strength: 3
Will: 1

Abilities

• ACTION:  If there is a Cultist Monster on your space, destroy all Monsters on your space or move the Cultist to any other space.
  • Reduce the horror of Monsters you encounter to 1.

Spells/Assets

• Spell: Wither (Incantation)
    • When resolving a Combat Encounter, you may test Lore. If you pass, gain +3 Strength during that encounter. Then Flip this card.

• Asset: Arcane Tome (Item - Tome) (3)
    • Gain +2 Lore when resolving spell effects.
    • When you perform a Rest action, you may test Lore. If you pass, draw 1 new Spell card.

The Psychic

Starting Location: Heartland America. Starts with 1 Clue.

Vital Stats

Skill Stats
Strength: 1
Will: 3

Abilities

• ACTION: You may trade any number of Clues with an investigator on ANY space.
  • Once per round, when another investigator gains a non-common Condition, you may look at the back of that card, and gain 1 Clue.

Spells/Assets

• Spell: Flesh Ward (Incantation)
    • Once per round, when an investigator would lose Health, you may test Lore. If you pass, up to 2 Health damage to that investigator is blocked. Then Flip this card.

The Musician

Starting Location: Deep South, NA. Starts with 1 Clue.

Vital Stats

Skill Stats
Lore: 3
Influence: 3

Abilities

• ACTION: Each investigator in your space recovers 1 Sanity.
  • Investigators in your space roll 1 additional die when resolving tests during Combat Encounters.

Spells/Assets

• Spell: Shriveling (Ritual)
    • ACTION: Test Lore. If you pass, choose a monster on your space to lose 2 Health. Then Flip this card.

The Expedition Leader

Starting Location: Buenos Aires.

Vital Stats
Health: 6
Sanity: 6

Skill Stats

Abilities

• ACTION: Test Influence. If you pass gain 1 Ally type Asset of your choice from either the reserve or the discard pile.
  • If you are on a Wilderness space, investigators on your space roll 1 additional die when resolving tests.

Spells/Assets

• Asset: Hired Muscle (Ally)
    • Gain +1 Strength
    • You may reroll 1 die when resolving a Strength test.

The Martial Artist

Starting Location: Shanghai

Vital Stats
Health: 6
Sanity: 6

Skill Stats
Strength: 4

Abilities

• ACTION: Spend any number of Health or Sanity, then recover an equal amount of Health or Sanity.
  • When you improve a skill, you may immediately improve that skill again.

Spells/Assets

• Asset: Protective Amulet (Item)
    • Gain +1 Will during Combat Encounters.

• Asset: Lucky Rabbit's Foot (Trinket)
    • Once per round you may reroll 1 die when resolving a test.

The Actress

Starting Location: Tokyo. Starts with 1 Improvement Token.

Vital Stats

Skill Stats

Abilities

• ACTION: Spend any number of Improvement tokens, then improve 1 skill of your choice for each token spent (+2 token counts as 2 tokens)
  • Once per round, an investigator on your space may roll 1 extra die when resolving a test.

Spells/Assets

• Asset: .18 Derringer (Trinket - Weapon)
    • You may add 1 to the result of 1 die when resolving a Strength test during Combat Encounters.

The Soldier

Starting Location: Northern Europe

Vital Stats
Health: 8
Sanity: 4

Skill Stats
Lore: 1
Strength: 4

Abilities

• ACTION: You and 1 Monster on your space each lose 1 Health.
  • You cannot become Delayed or gain a Detained Condition unless you choose to.

Spells/Assets

• Asset: .38 Revolver (Item - Weapon)
    • Gain +2 Strength during Combat Encounters.

• Asset: Kerosene (Item)
    • You may discard this card to gain +5 Strength during a Combat Encounter.

The Astronomer

Starting Location: Arkham, USA.

Vital Stats

Skill Stats
Influence: 1

Abilities

• ACTION: Spend 2 Clues to destroy 1 Monster on a space containing a Gate.
  • Once per round, you may choose to spend 1 Sanity instead of spending 1 Clue.

Spells/Assets

• Spell: Feed the Mind (Ritual)
    • ACTION: Test Lore -1. If you pass, choose an investigator in your space to Improve one skill of their choice. Then Flip this card.

The Sailor

Starting Location: Sydney, Australia.

Vital Stats
Health: 8
Sanity: 4

Skill Stats

Abilities

• ACTION: Move 1 space along a Ship path, THEN perform an additional action for free.
  • If you are on a Sea space, investigators on your space roll 1 additional die when resolving tests.

Spells/Assets

• Asset: Fishing Net (Item)
    • You may reroll 1 die when resolving a Strength test during a Combat Encounter.
    • Reduce the damage of Monsters you encounter by 1 to a minimum of 1.

The Spy

Starting Location: Central Russia

Vital Stats

Skill Stats
Observation: 4

Abilities

• ACTION: If you have no clues, gain 1 Clue.
  • If an investigator in your space spends a Clue to reroll a die, they may reroll 2 dice instead.

Spells/Assets

• Asset: .45 Automatic (Item - Weapon)
    • Gain +3 Strength during Combat Encounters.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT ANY OF THIS MEANS BUT I JUST WANT TO BE GARY OLDMAN FROM TINKER, TAILOR, SOLDIER, SPY

(there should be roles called Tinker and Tailor so that list is complete!)

I want to change my character to the Redeemed Cultist XD

Wouldn't musician be more fitting for an idol?

It would I guess, but Musician makes me think of pianist or some orchestra person. Must be cuz of Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso. XD

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT ANY OF THIS MEANS BUT I JUST WANT TO BE GARY OLDMAN FROM TINKER, TAILOR, SOLDIER, SPY

(there should be roles called Tinker and Tailor so that list is complete!)

Nobody would want to play a tinsmith or a tailor :P

I want to change my character to the Redeemed Cultist XD

Of course, the one with the only effect I've seen so far that lets you draw more spells xD (there's only two pairs of 5 different spells total in the spell deck so that's probably why its so rare to draw any).

> Politician from California

terminator-1.jpg

The convenient thing is Influence is used when rolling to buy items, so you've the character most likely to be able to buy some fitting weapons. That said, the only guns you can get aside from ones people start with are a carbine rifle or double-barrel shotgun. You can get dynamite though also.

It would I guess, but Musician makes me think of pianist or some orchestra person. Must be cuz of Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso. XD

The Musician character displayed in the game actually plays a horn so that's actually one of few instruments that prevents them being a singer at all.

I shall be Shaman and borrow the Eastern Winds. 

Also fitting since you'll be the only one who can predict with perfect accuracy where gates will be going, and also the only one capable of outsmarting enemies and avoiding combating them.

Okay I've written up I think everything I need to. It's a bit of a read but bear in mind most of it is just explaining simple mechanics as well as trying to give you an idea what to expect from the various cards so you're not ignorant of the risks and opportunities they present. At the very end I put a quick-reference list of what you can do in a turn, so if you're daunted, look at that FIRST, and you'll see there's really not that much to it actually. Moreover, I'll also re-iterate any relevant mechanics as we play, whenever they come up. This game isn't actually meant to have one person 'running' it, so it's not like I'm actually playing against the rest of you either, and so can also offer advice what to do if you're not sure.

And of course, any time I mention "Draw a card" or such, what you'll be doing is saying that's what you want to do, and then I will give you the details of the drawn card. There's also dice-rolling in this game, but I'm content to trust people. All dice mentioned are d6, so just roll them on your dice rolling site of choice whenever you need to.

Also, at the start you guys must choose 1 person to be "Lead Investigator". Some effects can only be resolved by the Lead Investigator. However, MANY negative effects target the Lead Investigator specifically. A player can opt to pass the Lead Investigator title to someone else at the end of each round, however. So basically whoever gets this job will get hit with a lot of bad stuff xD. So yeah, if nobody volunteers to shoulder that burden initially, you guys can roll dice on roll20 for it or something to decide.

Aiming to start the game Sunday, possibly Monday. I have to organize the decks and place the starting gates and monsters before you guys can start taking turns. When we begin I'll say like ACTION PHASE, then all of you must submit your actions. Once everyone has done so, I'll resolve them in order and then declare the next phase, and we do the same again. If there's cases where the outcome of a previous person's encounter or actions will impact your decision, you can state you want to see how their actions turn out first, in which case I'll resolve that immediately rather than waiting for all players to submit actions first.

Turn order matters sometimes, so I'll go in the order that people signed up for this. However, turns always start with the Lead Investigator, and then proceed in order from them. This means you can pass around that position to manipulate turn order if you like.

WINNING AND LOSING

Players lose the game if Doom reaches 0 (this is depicted at the top of the board, and for this game starts at 15). Various effects may increase or decrease the Doom counter (players dying moves it by 1), but the main way it closes toward 0 is through the movements of the Omen.

The Omen is depicted at the top right of the board, as 4 different symbols. Every turn, during the Mythos phase, the Omen will advance clockwise (the currently active Omen has a ring around it. You'll see on the board, it starts on the green symbol). Other effects may also move it backward or forward further. Whenever the Omen moves, if the new symbol it sits on matches any gates on the game board, Doom is advanced by the number of matching gates. Therefore, it is imperative to close as many gates as possible to minimize the amount that Doom is advanced.

Players also lose the game if the Mythos deck is emptied. For this game it contains 16 cards, so you have a time limit of 16 turns basically.

Players must solve 3 Mystery cards to win this game. One Mystery card will be active at a time. Players must meet its conditions to solve it, at which point a new Mystery card will be drawn.

TAKING YOUR TURN

There are two phases to each round: the Action phase and Encounter phase. The Mythos phase also happens each round, but I will take care of the actions for that phase. Players move through each phase together - so all players submit their Actions first, then we move to the Encounter phase and all players resolve their Encounters, and then we move to the Mythos phase and I draw a Mythos card and resolve any effects.

Action Phase

During this phase you may take two actions from the following (the same action cannot be taken twice on the same turn). Actions you can perform anywhere and anytime are in green. Actions you can only perform in cities are in orange. And actions you cannot perform if monsters are present are in red.

• Travel
    • You can move only 1 space along any path. IF you have any train or ship tickets, you may spend tickets to move additional spaces over train or sea routes according to the amount of tickets you spend.
  • Trade
    • You may trade possessions with another player on your space (Assets, Artifacts, Clues, Spells, and travel tickets)
  • Component Actions
    • You can use an ability or item. Anything that has "ACTION:" before it is something that can be used here. You can also use OTHER people's items or abilities, only IF it has "LOCAL ACTION:" preceding it.
  • Prepare for Travel
    • If you are on a city space, you may gain 1 ship or train ticket, as long as the city has a ship or train line connected (so you cannot get a ship ticket in a landlocked city, but you can get a train ticket). You can only hold 2 tickets (total) at a time. If you gain more tickets when you already have 2, you can choose which ones to keep and discard the extras,
  • Acquire Assets
    • If you are on a city space, you may Test Influence. The amount of successes you roll is the total 'money' you have to buy assets from the reserve with. You can spend them all on one item or buy multiple cheap items. If you roll 0 successes, you may elect an item from the reserve to be discarded and replaced with a new item. Cannot be performed if a monster occupies your space.
  • Rest
    • Restore 1 Health and 1 Sanity. Cannot be performed if a monster occupies your space.

Encounter Phase

During this phase you may choose 1 encounter to resolve. If a monster occupies your space you cannot resolve ANY encounters other than a combat encounter with it. If you win the combat and the monster is vanquished, leaving the space emptied, you may then resolve another encounter of your choice.

• Location Encounter
    • Draw either a General card or a location card matching the area you are in (Europe, America, Asia/Australia). The effects of the card are then resolved - these can include options on your part, or tests to try to pass. These are usually beneficial cards, but if you fail the tests on them there's sometimes a penalty. Every card has 3 different effects, and which one applies to you will depend what exact space you are occupying (which city in the main regions, and for general cards whether you are in wilderness, an unnamed city, or sea - the legend for the latter spaces is on the left of the board). Each city has a certain thing you are likely to gain from these cards if you are occupying it. They're marked on the board but it may be hard to read, so here's a legend:
    • Arkham: Gain Incantation spells. Buenos Aires: Gain Ritual spells. London: Spawn Clue tokens. Rome: Improve Will. Istanbul: Improve Influence. Tokyo: Defeat monsters. Shanghai: Improve Lore. Sydney: Improve Strength.
  • Token Encounter (Occasionally different tokens may spawn on the board - if you occupy that space you can take the corresponding encounter listed here:
    • Clue Token = Draw a Research card. These cards will give you a test; passing gives you one or more Clue tokens, failing will always yield a harmful effect.
    • Gate Token = Draw an Otherworld Encounter card. These cards allow you to attempt to close gates. These are two-stage tests. Passing the first stage lets you attempt a second test to close the gate or be harmed. Failing the first stage will be harmful, and lets you attempt a second test to prevent a second harmful effect.
    • Active Expedition Token = Draw an Expedition card. These cards are also two-stage tests and give you the chance to gain artifacts (powerful magical items that cannot be otherwise acquired) or other positive effects, but failure yields negative effects (though generally not as bad as those of failing to close a gate).
    • Rumour Token = You may attempt to resolve the matching Rumour. Rumours are ongoing negative effects that result from various Mythos cards - they require various different things to clear, but to attempt to clear them you must be on the matching Rumour token spot.
    • Defeated Investigator Token = These are wherever a player is killed/goes insane. Here you can attempt to loot their items, as well as potentially gain other positive effects, depending on the results of tests.
  • Combat Encounter (this is the only encounter you can do if a monster is on your space. If the monster is defeated, you can then also do one of the above encounters. If you fail to defeat it this turn, you can't do anything else).
    • Fighting a monster is comprised of a Will test and a Strength test. The monster may sometimes force you to roll less dice than you normally would (Will - 1 means you roll dice equal to your Will, minus 1. So with Will of 4, you would roll 3 dice against this monster, for example).
    • The Will test is to prevent your losing Sanity. If you roll less successes than the Monster's Horror value, you lose the difference in Sanity. (If its Horror is 3 and you roll 1 success, you lose 2 Sanity, eg).
    • The Strength test is to both hurt the monster and prevent yourself being hurt. If you roll less successes than the Monster's Damage value, you lose the difference in Health (example works the same as above). However, the Monster ALSO loses Health equal to the number of successes you rolled. This means even if you roll 1 success against a 3 Damage monster, thereby losing 2 Health, the Monster will also lose 1 Health as well.
    • In conclusion, Will is only used for defense in combat, you will need a high Strength to actually defeat monsters.

Mythos Phase

As mentioned I take care of this phase, which consists of drawing a Mythos card and resolving its effects. Still, I'll list the possible effects here so you know what to expect. Each card has a unique effect that I won't list all of - some are good some are bad, some are ongoing - but every single mythos card will have some of the following general effects in addition:

• Advance Omen
    • The Omen token moves 1 space clockwise. Doom is advanced by 1 for each gate on the board matching the current Omen space.
  • Resolve Reckoning Effects
    • Cards with the reckoning marker have their reckoning effects resolved at this time (in the game they've a red mark but I'll make it clear here when any cards arrive that have the marker). These are generally bad. They resolve in this order: Monsters, Ancient One sheet, Ongoing Mythos cards, and lastly investigator possessions and Conditions.
  • Spawn Gates
    • A number of new gates are spawned depending on the number of players.
  • Monster Surge
    • A number of monsters are spawned at each gate that matched the current Omen space symbol.
  • Spawn Clues
    • A number of clues are spawned.
  • Spawn Rumour
    • A rumour is spawned.
  • Spawn Eldritch Tokens
    • Eldritch Tokens are spawned on the current card (this is generally just a counter; certain actions listed on the card cause eldritch tokens to be removed, and when all are removed the card is resolved).

QUICK-REFERENCE SUMMARY OF WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO EVERY TURN

In the Action Phase => Choose 2 Actions. Actions you can perform anytime are in green. Actions you can only perform in cities are in orange. And actions you cannot perform if monsters are present are in red.

• Travel
  • Trade
  • Component Actions
  • Prepare for Travel
  • Acquire Assets
  • Rest

In the Encounter Phase => Choose 1 encounter. If a monster occupies your space you HAVE to fight it. IF it dies then you may do one of the other encounters as well.

• Fight a monster
  • Draw either a General card or a location card matching the area you are in
  • Resolve a token on your current space

I understand not wanting to be Toby Jones, but who doesn't want to be Colin Firth??? Also blatantly ignoring that Gary Oldman's title in the movie was Beggarman, not Spy.

I found some moving pictures to supplement Day's written explanation!

(My astronomer is an ancient looking human with a dumbledore beard xD)

There's a gameplay example at the 5min mark, fyi.

That's a quite helpful video.

Okay starting this up. Since nobody volunteered for Lead Investigator I just rolled a d6 on roll20 and went by turn/join order. Rolled a crit, so Eth is Lead Investigator to start, congratulations.

Bottom of this post will contain the current board state, both in image form and I've also made notes of where things are in case its hard to see on the board. Players are marked on the board by tokens with their initial. The first Mystery to resolve is also at the bottom.

INTRODUCTION

Azathoth, the Daemon Sultan, is stirring.

In Sydney, Australia, cultists telling of the Ancient One's coming have opened a portal to the Other World, and now stand guard over it. But even without their help, a second portal has opened in Tokyo and the dreadful Shoggoth has emerged to wreak terror. This is the beginning of the End Times. Only a skilled group of investigators can hope to overcome Azathoth before his terrible power is unleashed upon the world.

• Gates have spawned in Tokyo and Sydney.
  • Monsters have spawned in Tokyo and Sydney.
  • Clues have spawned in The Pyramids, The Himalayas, and The Amazon.
  • The Active Expedition is taking place at Tunguska
  • Eldritch tokens related to the first Mystery card have spawned in Antarctica, London, and Shanghai.
  • The Omen is currently on the Green space. If it advances in the Mythos phase, 2 more monsters will spawn in Tokyo.

ACTION PHASE

It is time for the Investigators to act.

Action Phase

During this phase you may take two actions from the following (the same action cannot be taken twice on the same turn). Actions you can perform anywhere and anytime are in green. Actions you can only perform in cities are in orange. And actions you cannot perform if monsters are present are in red.

• Travel
    • You can move only 1 space along any path. IF you have any train or ship tickets, you may spend tickets to move additional spaces over train or sea routes according to the amount of tickets you spend.
  • Trade
    • You may trade possessions with another player on your space (Assets, Artifacts, Clues, Spells, and travel tickets)
  • Component Actions
    • You can use an ability or item. Anything that has "ACTION:" before it is something that can be used here. You can also use OTHER people's items or abilities, only IF it has "LOCAL ACTION:" preceding it.
  • Prepare for Travel
    • If you are on a city space, you may gain 1 ship or train ticket, as long as the city has a ship or train line connected (so you cannot get a ship ticket in a landlocked city, but you can get a train ticket). You can only hold 2 tickets (total) at a time. If you gain more tickets when you already have 2, you can choose which ones to keep and discard the extras,
  • Acquire Assets
    • If you are on a city space, you may Test Influence. The amount of successes you roll is the total 'money' you have to buy assets from the reserve with. You can spend them all on one item or buy multiple cheap items. If you roll 0 successes, you may elect an item from the reserve to be discarded and replaced with a new item. Cannot be performed if a monster occupies your space.
  • Rest
    • Restore 1 Health and 1 Sanity. Cannot be performed if a monster occupies your space.

GAME INFO

PLAYERS
(In order of turn. Player with stars is the current Lead Investigator, turn order starts from them onward).

Wstfgl, The Politician

Starting Location: San Francisco, USA.

Vital Stats

Skill Stats

Abilities

• ACTION: Another investigator of your choice may immediately perform 1 additional action.
  • When you perform an Acquire Assets action, you may allow other investigators to gain any cards you purchase.

Spells/Assets

• Asset: Personal Assistant (Ally) (2)
    • Gain +1 Influence
    • You may reroll 1 die when resolving an Influence test

Noia, The Astronomer

Starting Location: Arkham, USA.

Vital Stats

Skill Stats
Influence: 1

Abilities

• ACTION: Spend 2 Clues to destroy 1 Monster on a space containing a Gate.
  • Once per round, you may choose to spend 1 Sanity instead of spending 1 Clue.

Spells/Assets

• Spell: Feed the Mind (Ritual)
    • ACTION: Test Lore -1. If you pass, choose an investigator in your space to Improve one skill of their choice. Then Flip this card.

TriOctium, The Redeemed Cultist

Starting Location: Central America
Vital Stats

Skill Stats
Will: 1

Abilities

• ACTION:  If there is a Cultist Monster on your space, destroy all Monsters on your space or move the Cultist to any other space.
  • Reduce the horror of Monsters you encounter to 1.

Spells/Assets

• Spell: Wither (Incantation)
    • When resolving a Combat Encounter, you may test Lore. If you pass, gain +3 Strength during that encounter. Then Flip this card.
  • Asset: Arcane Tome (Item - Tome) (3)
    • Gain +2 Lore when resolving spell effects.
    • When you perform a Rest action, you may test Lore. If you pass, draw 1 new Spell card.

HH, The Actress

Starting Location: Tokyo. Starts with 1 Improvement Token.

Vital Stats

Skill Stats

Abilities

• ACTION: Spend any number of Improvement tokens, then improve 1 skill of your choice for each token spent (+2 token counts as 2 tokens)
  • Once per round, an investigator on your space may roll 1 extra die when resolving a test.

Spells/Assets

• Asset: .18 Derringer (Trinket - Weapon)
    • You may add 1 to the result of 1 die when resolving a Strength test during Combat Encounters.

Sean, The Spy

Starting Location: Central Russia

Vital Stats

Skill Stats
Observation: 4

Abilities

• ACTION: If you have no clues, gain 1 Clue.
  • If an investigator in your space spends a Clue to reroll a die, they may reroll 2 dice instead.

Spells/Assets

• Asset: .45 Automatic (Item - Weapon)
    • Gain +3 Strength during Combat Encounters.

***Eth, The Shaman***

Starting Location: South Africa. Starts with 1 Clue

Vital Stats

Skill Stats
Lore :3

Abilities

• ACTION: Learn the locations of the next 2 Gates to appear. You may place 1 Gate on the top of the stack and the other on the bottom.
  • When you close a Gate during an Other World Encounter, you may move to any space containing a Clue or a Gate.

Spells/Assets

• Spell: Mists of Releh (Incantation)
    • During the Encounter Phase, you may test Lore. If you pass, you may ignore the presence of monsters on your space when choosing an encounter. Then Flip this card.

ANCIENT ONE

eKn3vQk.png

BOARD

jEa5pEp.jpg

Info:
Clue tokens - The Pyramids, The Himalayas, The Amazon
Expedition Token - Tunguska
Eldritch Tokens - Tokyo, Shanghai, Sydney

Active Gates & Monsters:
Gates - Tokyo (Blue), Sydney (Red)
Monsters - Tokyo (Shoggoth), Sydney (Cultist)

Shoggoth = Horror 3, Damage 2, Health 4. (Strength test has -2 modifier)
Reckoning Effect: Monster recovers all health.

Cultist = Horror 1, Damage 0, Health 1.
Effect: After resolving the Will test, lose 1 Health and destroy this monster (regardless whether you succeed or fail).

Assets Available to Buy:

K3rLJfs.png

Skill Legend:

0mSunjI.png

ACTIVE MYSTERY

NIyHZ5H.png

(that symbol in the text means number of players. In this case, 6).

(so this all means you must collect the eldritch tokens by reaching them. But you need 2 clues to collect the token, so no point heading for them until you first get 2 clues. Remember some players have started with a clue. Otherwise you need to get to the locations with Clues and resolve an encounter there to get the clue).

Just a clarification, how far is the Amazon from California?

Governor Max Jagerbomber, 80s action movie star-turned-director and present governor of California, would like to take time out from his busy schedule of cutting ribbons at public functions and groping nubile young starlets at matinees to order his assistant to get him some stuff for forestalling the imminent Mayan apocalypse, having missed the memo about it not happening three years prior. He's a Hollywood star after all; it's practically mandatory to have whackjob beliefs about the supernatural.

Test for Influence.

Influence Test (5 Influence): 5d6 4,5,4,4,3

(Rerolled 3, got a 2. ... Never mind?)

[i'll figure out my next move once I know how long it'd take to reach the Amazon.]

The quickest was is to go to Octy's space via the sea route, then to the Amazon. So that's 2 turns minimum.

Okay, my second action will be to move to Octy's space. How much money do I get from my Influence test anyway?

You have one 5, so that counts as 1 Success. That means you have 1 to spend. So you can buy Cat Burglar. And you can't save these successes, so there's no reason not to do so, unless you prefer to take the Bank Loan to get up to 3 Successes.

Although this is a case where turn order matters. Anyone who also wants to try to buy something who is before you in turn order would get first pick, and anything they buy will be replaced with new stuff. So you can wait and see and decide after everyone before you has had their turn

From what I see of my abilities, I play the support role -- "•Once per round, an investigator on your space may roll 1 extra die when resolving a test." This means I should be on the same space as 1 other person at least, to maximise that. It seems from my Asset that I should focus more on Combat Encounters (though, really, an idol superstar fighting off aliens? Hmmm, maybe they'll film it like a Magical Girl show!) so is there anyone intending to fight off the Gates? There's one right here in Tokyo, where I live, for that matter.

Question, do I have to use the component action to get my free clue? Or do I get it for, well, free?

Also what does the expedition token do? I searched for a bit but I couldn't find an explanation (I'm probably blind). 

Yeah it's got the word ACTION so you must take an action to use that effect and gain the Clue.

And:

• Active Expedition Token = Draw an Expedition card. These cards are also two-stage tests and give you the chance to gain artifacts (powerful magical items that cannot be otherwise acquired) or other positive effects, but failure yields negative effects (though generally not as bad as those of failing to close a gate).

What I didn't mention is the location of that token is randomized and there's only ever 1 out at a time. It stays where it is until someone resolves it.

Cool cool cool

imma travel to tunguska and draw a clue with my actions~

Is it too overkill if the three of us (Wst, I assume Time, and I) go for the Amazon clue?