Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DayDreamer

Eldritch Horror

94 posts in this topic

I suppose I can't buy anything from the space I'm in, right? I'll move to the Amazon and pick up the clue there.

The drawing of the Clues is in the Encounter step, its not part of the Action Phase. So you can move and do something else, and you'll draw the clue/expedition/etc in the Encounter phase. So Sean/Octy you can do something else

Is it too overkill if the three of us (Wst, I assume Time, and I) go for the Amazon clue?

Probably so. Octy may resolve it by himself, and Wst will be able to get there next turn, while you are still at least 3 turns away. So it'll almost definitely be resolved by the time you get there.

I suppose I can't buy anything from the space I'm in, right? I'll move to the Amazon and pick up the clue there.

Correct, can only buy things in city spaces.

Could I do something like this:

Action 1 - Prepare train ticket to Tokyo

Action 2 - Test influence?

Hm, I can't do anything else either in Central America or the Amazon apart from travelling, right? Since neither of them are in Cities, and my Action doesn't really do anything out of combat.

Could I do something like this:

Action 1 - Prepare train ticket to Tokyo

Action 2 - Test influence?

Yup that works.

Train tickets aren't for specific destinations though, they just let you move an extra space when you take the Travel action. So for instance if you wanted to reach Octy's initial space, you'd Travel to space 6, then spend a Train ticket to move again to where he is. Or buy a Ship ticket and Travel to space 8, then spend the Ship ticket to move again to where he is.

Hm, I can't do anything else either in Central America or the Amazon apart from travelling, right? Since neither of them are in Cities, and my Action doesn't really do anything out of combat.

Oh yeah, indeed there's nothing else you can do then.

Oop, guess it's going to take forever and a day before I can get to where Herc is...  :mellow:

My astronomer is going to Test influence (6) and slowly walk to London then. Maybe he'll get some indian curry there. Can't fight on an empty stomach.

I mean that I'll use my Component Action to use my class action, which gives me a free clue if I don't have one yet. Component actions are done during the action phase, right?

Zhuge Liangfeng (租个 å‡‰é£Ž) has descended! The turbulence to my east bothers me. Eastern Star Formation, come! Bear me towards the sea… towards Sydney! [Travel to Sea 18] I shall banish the heretic there, seal the gate and teleport to Tokyo. (I'm not sure if Tokyo is now experiencing an Otherworld Encounter though)

I'll also divine the sign of the heavens! [Ability Action]

Shoggoth is beyond my ability to fight. Unless there are additional reinforcements besides the prodigal songstress, I'll be compelled to beguile the demon with my Incantation before sealing the gate there. (also, I guess I can use Mists of Releh only once?)

(I'm not sure if Tokyo is now experiencing an Otherworld Encounter though)

It's not. Otherworld Encounter is just the name of the card you'll draw and resolve when trying to close the gate.

(also, I guess I can use Mists of Releh only once?)

Nope, it is basically unlimited use. Everyone's starting spells are the same that way. But if you roll too low, then the flip side may result in you having to discard the card unless you take on some other detrimental effect.

Privét! I, great Yevgeny Onisim Lazar Ostrovsky, master spy for KGB, have noticed threat to world. Ochen horosho, I shall take care of threat. First [travel to Tunguska], meet up with expedition. Skills as master spy shall be put to use. World shall thank me when they realize I [get free clue] by putting skills as master spy to work. Do svidaniya.

Ah, I've just heard that one of my loyal fans, Zuge Liangfeng, is heading to Sydney to fight off the horrible monsters that have emerged! The media's attention has been totally captured by this apocalyptic turn of events, and my agent has advised me to capitalise on it to my advantage. I shall head to join my fan in Sydney by asking my agent to purchase a ticket, then move twice to Sydney.

My agent also kindly reminded me to bring a weapon with me. I picked something up from my movie equipment (filling it with real bullets instead of blanks, of course). Improvement token used on Strength.

Move aside, Eldritch horrors, the new Lara Croft is here!

Okay everyone's actions are done, I'll be updating everything and starting the next phase tomorrow.

1 person likes this

"Hello Mr. Astronomer, this is Max Jagerbomber's agent speaking. Would you like to purchase the services of a Cat Burglar? If you don't, my client will purchase her services for his... Servicing."

(If Noia doesn't want to use her Influence, buy a Cat Burglar.)

(Yeah she's all yours. My head's fried, no idea how to embellish my post :ph34r:  )

(the card that replaced the cat burglar also cost 1, so I'll assume Noia will want to take that rather than do nothing with her influence xD)

While Zhuge Liangfeng is sitting on his passenger ship in the middle of the ocean, on his way to Sydney, he takes the time to read the astrological phenomenon and divine the locations of the next otherworld gates. He sees images of the Colosseum being consumed by shadows, as well as that the Astronomer barely escaped having a gate open up on top of him.

Next two gates are Rome and Arkham. You may send one to the bottom of the queue and put one back on top as the next to appear.

Meanwhile Max Jagerbomber successfully gains the services of a Cat Burglar before heading toward the Amazon. His political opponents naturally attack this decision once news of it is leaked, however Max's press team simply claims he's doing his part to boost the employment rate in these difficult times, and suggests legislature to legalize cat burglary.

Gain Cat Burglar card.

• Cat Burglar (Ally)
    • ACTION: Roll 1 die. On a 5 or 6, gain 1 ITEM or TRINKET asset from the reserve. On a 1, discard this card.

Mr Astronomer sets sail for London and narrowly avoids crashing into the coast, after he puts the captain to sleep by telling him many excruciatingly long anecdotes, such as the riveting tale of how each of his beard hairs grew. The fright of the close call was enough to drive him to seek a drink as soon as he landed.

Gain Whiskey card.

• Whiskey (Item)
    • You may discard this card to prevent an investigator on your space from losing up to 2 Sanity.

TriOctium (because that sounds like a cultist name already) enters the amazon and begins to explore, searching for any clues it might yield.

The famous idol/actress HH calmly flees Tokyo, hoping some more burly action star can deal with the Shoggoth present there, and instead sails to Sydney to deal with the Cultist there. Her experience dealing with rabid fans surely equips her well for this.

And finally, Agent Yevgeny Onisim Lazar Ostrovsky made his way to Tunguska to meet up with the expedition crew there. Before he even looked into the site itself he discovered a clue, a pattern in the ground the other expedition members had overlooked.

ENCOUNTER PHASE

(I know what Sean and Octy want to do for this, so the rest of you must decide. HH has to fight the monster, but it is a sure win and if one beats the monster they can take a regular encounter also so she can choose a second thing. For Noia, Wst, and Eth, the only thing they can do here is a Location Encounter - but there's minor risks in doing so - or Nothing.

Encounter Phase

During this phase you may choose 1 encounter to resolve. If a monster occupies your space you cannot resolve ANY encounters other than a combat encounter with it. If you win the combat and the monster is vanquished, leaving the space emptied, you may then resolve another encounter of your choice.

• Location Encounter
    • Draw either a General card or a location card matching the area you are in (Europe, America, Asia/Australia). The effects of the card are then resolved - these can include options on your part, or tests to try to pass. These are usually beneficial cards, but if you fail the tests on them there's sometimes a penalty. Every card has 3 different effects, and which one applies to you will depend what exact space you are occupying (which city in the main regions, and for general cards whether you are in wilderness, an unnamed city, or sea - the legend for the latter spaces is on the left of the board). Each city has a certain thing you are likely to gain from these cards if you are occupying it. They're marked on the board but it may be hard to read, so here's a legend:
    • Arkham: Gain Incantation spells. Buenos Aires: Gain Ritual spells. London: Spawn Clue tokens. Rome: Improve Will. Istanbul: Improve Influence. Tokyo: Defeat monsters. Shanghai: Improve Lore. Sydney: Improve Strength.
  • Token Encounter (Occasionally different tokens may spawn on the board - if you occupy that space you can take the corresponding encounter listed here:
    • Clue Token = Draw a Research card. These cards will give you a test; passing gives you one or more Clue tokens, failing will always yield a harmful effect.
    • Gate Token = Draw an Otherworld Encounter card. These cards allow you to attempt to close gates. These are two-stage tests. Passing the first stage lets you attempt a second test to close the gate or be harmed. Failing the first stage will be harmful, and lets you attempt a second test to prevent a second harmful effect.
    • Active Expedition Token = Draw an Expedition card. These cards are also two-stage tests and give you the chance to gain artifacts (powerful magical items that cannot be otherwise acquired) or other positive effects, but failure yields negative effects (though generally not as bad as those of failing to close a gate).
    • Rumour Token = You may attempt to resolve the matching Rumour. Rumours are ongoing negative effects that result from various Mythos cards - they require various different things to clear, but to attempt to clear them you must be on the matching Rumour token spot.
    • Defeated Investigator Token = These are wherever a player is killed/goes insane. Here you can attempt to loot their items, as well as potentially gain other positive effects, depending on the results of tests.
  • Combat Encounter (this is the only encounter you can do if a monster is on your space. If the monster is defeated, you can then also do one of the above encounters. If you fail to defeat it this turn, you can't do anything else).
    • Fighting a monster is comprised of a Will test and a Strength test. The monster may sometimes force you to roll less dice than you normally would (Will - 1 means you roll dice equal to your Will, minus 1. So with Will of 4, you would roll 3 dice against this monster, for example).
    • The Will test is to prevent your losing Sanity. If you roll less successes than the Monster's Horror value, you lose the difference in Sanity. (If its Horror is 3 and you roll 1 success, you lose 2 Sanity, eg).
    • The Strength test is to both hurt the monster and prevent yourself being hurt. If you roll less successes than the Monster's Damage value, you lose the difference in Health (example works the same as above). However, the Monster ALSO loses Health equal to the number of successes you rolled. This means even if you roll 1 success against a 3 Damage monster, thereby losing 2 Health, the Monster will also lose 1 Health as well.
    • In conclusion, Will is only used for defense in combat, you will need a high Strength to actually defeat monsters.

PLAYERS
(In order of turn. Player with stars is the current Lead Investigator, turn order starts from them onward).

Wstfgl, The Politician

Vital Stats
Health: 4
Sanity: 8

Skill Stats
Lore: 2
Influence: 4
Observation: 3
Strength: 2
Will: 2

Abilities

• ACTION: Another investigator of your choice may immediately perform 1 additional action.
  • When you perform an Acquire Assets action, you may allow other investigators to gain any cards you purchase.

Spells/Assets

• Asset: Personal Assistant (Ally) (2)
    • Gain +1 Influence
    • You may reroll 1 die when resolving an Influence test
  • Asset: Cat Burglar (Ally) (1)
    • ACTION: Roll 1 die. On a 5 or 6, gain 1 ITEM or TRINKET asset from the reserve. On a 1, discard this card.

Noia, The Astronomer

Vital Stats
Health: 5
Sanity: 7

Skill Stats
Lore: 3
Influence: 1
Will: 4

Abilities

• ACTION: Spend 2 Clues to destroy 1 Monster on a space containing a Gate.
  • Once per round, you may choose to spend 1 Sanity instead of spending 1 Clue.

Spells/Assets

• Spell: Feed the Mind (Ritual)
    • ACTION: Test Lore -1. If you pass, choose an investigator in your space to Improve one skill of their choice. Then Flip this card.
  • Asset: Whiskey (Item) (1)
    • You may discard this card to prevent an investigator on your space from losing up to 2 Sanity.

TriOctium, The Redeemed Cultist

Vital Stats
Health: 7
Sanity: 5

Skill Stats
Lore: 4
Influence: 2
Strength: 3
Will: 1

Abilities

• ACTION:  If there is a Cultist Monster on your space, destroy all Monsters on your space or move the Cultist to any other space.
  • Reduce the horror of Monsters you encounter to 1.

Spells/Assets

• Spell: Wither (Incantation)
    • When resolving a Combat Encounter, you may test Lore. If you pass, gain +3 Strength during that encounter. Then Flip this card.
  • Asset: Arcane Tome (Item - Tome) (3)
    • Gain +2 Lore when resolving spell effects.
    • When you perform a Rest action, you may test Lore. If you pass, draw 1 new Spell card.

HH, The Actress

Vital Stats

Skill Stats
Lore: 2
Influence: 4
Observation: 2
Strength: 2 (+1)
Will: 3

Abilities

• ACTION: Spend any number of Improvement tokens, then improve 1 skill of your choice for each token spent (+2 token counts as 2 tokens)
  • Once per round, an investigator on your space may roll 1 extra die when resolving a test.

Spells/Assets

• Asset: .18 Derringer (Trinket - Weapon)
    • You may add 1 to the result of 1 die when resolving a Strength test during Combat Encounters.

Sean, The Spy

Tokens/Tickets

Clue token x 1

Vital Stats
Health: 7
Sanity: 5

Skill Stats
Lore: 1
Influence: 3
Observation: 4
Strength: 3
Will: 2

Abilities

• ACTION: If you have no clues, gain 1 Clue.
  • If an investigator in your space spends a Clue to reroll a die, they may reroll 2 dice instead.

Spells/Assets

• Asset: .45 Automatic (Item - Weapon)
    • Gain +3 Strength during Combat Encounters.

***Eth, The Shaman***

Tokens/Tickets
Clue token x 1

Vital Stats

Skill Stats
Lore :3
Influence: 2
Observation: 2
Will: 4

Abilities

• ACTION: Learn the locations of the next 2 Gates to appear. You may place 1 Gate on the top of the stack and the other on the bottom.
  • When you close a Gate during an Other World Encounter, you may move to any space containing a Clue or a Gate.

Spells/Assets

• Spell: Mists of Releh (Incantation)
    • During the Encounter Phase, you may test Lore. If you pass, you may ignore the presence of monsters on your space when choosing an encounter. Then Flip this card.

ANCIENT ONE

eKn3vQk.png

BOARD

3jiLKBC.jpg

Info:
Clue tokens - The Pyramids, The Himalayas, The Amazon
Expedition Token - Tunguska
Eldritch Tokens - Tokyo, Shanghai, Sydney

Active Gates & Monsters:
Gates - Tokyo (Blue), Sydney (Red)
Monsters - Tokyo (Shoggoth), Sydney (Cultist)

Shoggoth = Horror 3, Damage 2, Health 4. (Strength test has -2 modifier)
Reckoning Effect: Monster recovers all health.

Cultist = Horror 1, Damage 0, Health 1.
Effect: After resolving the Will test, lose 1 Health and destroy this monster (regardless whether you succeed or fail).

Assets Available to Buy:

kmD8UOT.png

Skill Legend:

0mSunjI.png

ACTIVE MYSTERY

NIyHZ5H.png

(that symbol in the text means number of players. In this case, 6).

(so this all means you must collect the eldritch tokens by reaching them. But you need 2 clues to collect the token, so no point heading for them until you first get 2 clues. Remember some players have started with a clue. Otherwise you need to get to the locations with Clues and resolve an encounter there to get the clue).

Disregarding the dangers of armed kidnappers, tropical diseases and candiru, Max Jagerbomber commences filming for his new movie with the working title of "Dick Steel Reduces An Entire Banana Republic Junta Into Hamburger Meat 2".

[Location Encounter]

After (shockingly) failing to impress the ladies with his huge telescope for the umpteenth time, Mr Astronomer finally swaggered back out of the pub and into the heart of the city in his alcohol-bolstered bravado, ready to take on whatever other ridiculous nonsense London is capable of throwing at him. 

[Location Encounter]

Zhuge Liangfeng divined that Rome will be next to experience an Otherworldly Event. However, he was certain that his allies in the world will take care of the distant threat. For now, there was nothing to do save to remain vigilant [Location Encounter].

I was gonna just roll for people here but I figure it'll be more fun to let you roll and then you can decide how exactly your character succeeds/fails in the test. Anyway as a reminder, for all of these tests, "Pass" means 1 or more successes (rolls of 5 or 6), otherwise its a Fail. I'll provide the full information about any Conditions or items you acquire after these are all resolved.

Zhuge Liangfeng hears a commotion as night begins to fall, and learns that the crew have spotted a signal fire on a nearby small, uninhabited island. With his consent, the ship pauses to investigate, and Zhuge Liangfeng helps search the beach.

[Observation Test]

If you pass: you find a Private Investigator Ally, and a clue.

If you fail: the unsolved mystery gives you a Paranoia condition.

Max Jagerbomber evidently is trying out some catburglary himself. He attempts to steal a valuable item, but is the coast clear?

[Observation Test]

If you pass: you get 1 item from the reserve (Puzzle Box is the only Item-type card presently) or 1 random item from the deck.

If you fail: you're caught by someone and end up being arrested, giving you a Detained condition.

Mr Astronomer's drunken roaming takes him to a mysterious club called the Surreal Twilight Lodge. The front entrance is locked securely, but surely there must be another way in, and Mr Astronomer is extremely curious now.

[Observation Test]

If you pass: you find a way in and the Lodge members are impressed by your ingenuity. Gain a Blessed condition.

If you fail: you spend the rest of the night searching to no end, and become Delayed (lose your next Action phase).

Sir Bearington explores a small cave he comes across, and discovers a strange painting depicting Azathoth sitting upon a throne in the center of a starry spiral. He searches for anything nearby that might indicate the origin of the painting or who painted it.

[Observation Test]

If you pass: you find pottery shards that you can recognize, giving you some insight into Azathoth's history. Gain a clue.

If you fail: your torch flickers and goes out, and you hear an ominous flute sound from somewhere in the cave. Advance the Omen by one space.

HH encounters the Cultist causing trouble in Sydney and confronts them.

[Combat]

Cultists vary depending on the Ancient One they serve. In this case, these Cultists automatically deal 1 damage to you and then die themselves. You just roll Will still though to see if you lose Sanity, but either way you win the fight, so I'll add the next encounter too.

Shortly after defeating the Cultist, HH is met by a group that hunts mythological creatures, and they teach her how to find and track bunyips. However when she tests her new skills, she finds her gun cannot pierce the hide of the bunyip, and she must scramble to escape.

Gain 1 Strength

[strength Test (-1)]

If you pass: you escape unharmed.

If you fail: lose 2 Health.

The expedition crew is searching for a comet that impacted somewhere near by long ago. They provide Yevgeny Onisim Lazar Ostrovsky with a copy of some of Rasputin's notes they were working off of. He manages to decode some directions the others had not been able to, and leads them toward Rasputin's camp near the site. However, a nearby fissure at the camp is pouring out toxic fumes, and it is a struggle to stay conscious.

[strength Test]

If you pass: Continue on, go to Success Outcome.

If you fail: The fumes burn your lungs and you collapse, coughing up blood; gain an Internal Injury condition. Go to Failure Outcome.

Success Outcome

You search the remains of the camp and gain 1 Artifact - the Glass of Mortlan (a crystal ball basically). Then, you attempt to search the comet crater for any clues.

[Observation Test]

If you pass: Find 1 Clue.

If you fail: become disturbed by the shattered landscape and lose 1 Sanity.

Failure Outcome

You try to convince the expedition team to come help you, but they seem fearful of whatever unseen malady has afflicted you so violently.

[influence Test]

If you pass: They come to your aid and rescue you, and also manage to recover some things from the camp remains. Gain 1 Artifact - the Glass of Mortlan (a crystal ball basically).

If you fail: they flee and leave you to crawl to safety on your own; lose 2 Health.

Reformed Cultist Sir Bearington stalked close to the ground, searching the Amazon for clues. He was sure that he remembered his cultist friend say something about this place. He would find it, and then he would prevent Azathoth from being summoned, and then everyone would think twice about calling him "Smelly Doo Doo Head" at cultist meetings in the future!

[Token Encounter]

Max Jagerbomber manages to convince his stunt double to make off with an item unnoticed while he gets drunk and parties- I mean, gathers vital information!

observation test (3d6): 3d6 SUCCESS

(Can I pick whether it's a random item or the puzzle box?)

Nothing can stop a drunken man on a mission. Undeterred, Mr Astronomer stumbled his way to the back of the club - and found the building's open back door swaying invitingly in the breeze. Numerous marquee arrows were pointed at the doorway, illuminating the entire area with their pulses of red and orange light. A huge sign with the words 'This one's unlocked' printed in a fancy calligraphic font has also been installed beside the red carpet placed on the ground.

Mr Astronomer walked right in.

ST Lodge: 3d6 11 [3d6=6, 4, 1]

Unfortunately Sir Bearington failed to remember where his cultist friend had told him he'd put the super secret clue!

Observation test: 3d6 = 3, 1, 4. Failure.