Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DayDreamer

Eldritch Horror

94 posts in this topic

Random item, then. The puzzle box pretty much grants me a random item and I need to rest to use it...

Actually the puzzle box yields a random Artifact. Artifacts are a different deck to items entirely. They're more powerful but there's fewer ways to get them (one way is the expedition encounter Sean is going through). That's why it takes another action to open the box, you get something better than just another item.

link

Description Observation check Results 2d66 [2d6=5, 1]

The heavens favor the bold! At the beach, Zhuge Liangfeng discovered a stern-looking, red-faced man with a lush beard deep in meditation, his head inclined towards the sky. After waiting patiently for exactly an hour, the man finally opened his eyes and spoke to Zhuge Liangfeng.

"You are a patient man. However, the time for meditation is over. The world is under threat and we must hurry now. I am Guanyu Zhe (观宇者) and I have information bestowed upon me by the deities in the stars."

The crew was understandably perplexed by this declaration, and insisted that the man pay for his passage if he wanted onboard the ship. 

"Fool! Don't you get that I'm trying to save the- oh, never mind. This world has lost all virtue," Guanyu Zhe grumbled, feeling inside the pocket of his green robes.

Right, I'll take the Puzzle Box then.

It will make an amazing conversation starter.

Wait, can I give it to someone else using my ability?

Nah that's only if you purchase it using the Acquire Assets action.

I, the great Yevgeny, see fissure with toxic fumes. Toxic fumes cause weaker men to lose consciousness, [but great Yevgeny is not weak]. I laugh at expedition comrades. Say if this is enough for them to lose consciousness they never survive great Russian winter.

As master spy Yevgeny is taught to have eye for details. After finding weird crystal ball I search around to see if there is clue. [Of course I find clue.] I would not be master spy if I had failed. Great Yevgeny is true master spy.

The Cultists shambled up to me as I readied my fighting pose, bracing myself for the worst. As it turned out, I was too pure of body, mind and soul, that all the Cultists immediately died of shame upon physical contact with me. That was an easy fight!

However, the filth of the Cultists left a deep imprint on my soul. I closed my eyes and willed myself to sing, in order to avoid being scarred.

[Roll for Will, 3 dice

Results: 1, 4, 6]

The warmth of my own voice relaxed me, and I felt ready to explore Sydney. After all, what's the point of coming to a country if you didn't have some time for vacation?

Though it seemed the vacation took a turn into danger, and I found myself needing to escape from my hunting prey.

[Roll for Strength, 3 dice

Results: 5, 6, 5]

I fled unscathed, deciding that Australia was a truly dangerous country.

Items and stat changes people get, I'll be updating their player info each time I post it. So this post's player info is up to date. But for the sake of clarity I'll also dump the info for newly acquired items and such here as well as a What's New sort of thing. I'm also going to add any permanent stat bonuses from items into your stat lists in parentheses to make it easier to check how much to roll.

Also two pieces of info I forgot to mention before:

1) Aside from item bonuses, the most a stat can be improved by is +2. Example is HH spent her starting +1 bonus on Strength and got another +1 to Strength from her encounter. So she cannot gain any more such Strength improvements on top of those.

2) I forgot the earth isn't actually a rectangular shape. You can follow the paths off the west side of the board in order to enter via the paths on the east. So for example from Buenos Aires you can move to Space 3, and then straight to Sydney on the other side. As such I'll let Noia move 1 extra space this turn, since she did want to get to the east and has started taking the longer way due to my mistake :F.

Octy's failed investigation advanced the Omen by 1 onto the blue space, which matches the colour of the Tokyo gate, so Doom advances by 1.

Sean and Eth each gained a clue, bringing them both to 2 clues total. As such, they're primed to work on solving the current Mystery.

The Tunguska Expedition was resolved, and a new Expedition is underway at the Pyramids.

Acquired stuff (these are obviously each for the people who got the respective things):

• Artifact: Glass of Mortlan (Item - Magical)
    • Each 6 you roll when resolving a spell effect counts as 2 successes.
    • You may prevent the loss of 1 Sanity when resolving your spell effects.
  • Asset: Puzzle Box (Trinket)
    • When you perform a Rest action, you may open the puzzle box by testing Observation. Nothing happens if you fail.
  • Asset: Private Investigator (Ally)
    • Gain +1 Observation
    • You may reroll 1 die when resolving an Observation Test.
  • Condition: Blessed (Boon)
    • 4s now also count as successes for you, in addition to 5s and 6s.
    • If you would gain another Blessed condition, flip this card instead.
    • If you would gain a Cursed condition, discard this card instead.
    • RECKONING: Roll 1 die. On a 1 or 2, discard this card.

(reminder that RECKONING is one of the things that can be triggered by the Mythos card draw)

MYTHOS PHASE

Anyone watching the night skies tonight would notice an abrupt change. The stars shift and change, and familiar constellations break apart, shattering previous predictions about the recent omens.

• Omen advances by 1! (Lands on red, advancing Doom by 1 for the Sydney gate)
  • RECKONING happens!
  • 2 Gates spawn! (Rome(red) and London(blue))
  • Additional Effect: Move the Omen counterclockwise by 1 (returns to blue, advancing Doom by 2 - 1 for the Tokyo gate and 1 for the new London gate).

RECKONING Triggers:

• Tokyo Shoggoth regenerates to full Health (not that it was hurt)
  • Mr Astronomer must roll to preserve his Blessed condition.

Monsters Spawned from new Gates:

(London) Ghoul = Horror 1, Damage 2, Health 1.

Tests: Will test gets +1
Effect: If you lose Health from the Strength test, gain a Paranoia condition.

(Rome) Hound of Tindalos = Horror 2, Damage 3, Health 3.

Tests: Strength test gets -1
Reckoning Effect: Move this monster to the nearest space with an Investigator on it, and then immediately initiate a Combat encounter with it

Doom sits at 11!

ACTION PHASE

Choose 2 Actions. Actions you can perform anytime are in green. Actions you can only perform in cities are in orange. And actions you cannot perform if monsters are present are in red.

• Travel
  • Trade
  • Component Actions
  • Prepare for Travel
  • Acquire Assets
  • Rest

PLAYERS
(In order of turn. Player with stars is the current Lead Investigator, turn order starts from them onward).

Wstfgl, The Politician

Vital Stats
Health: 4
Sanity: 8

Skill Stats
Lore: 2
Influence: 4(+1)
Observation: 3
Strength: 2
Will: 2

Abilities

• ACTION: Another investigator of your choice may immediately perform 1 additional action.
  • When you perform an Acquire Assets action, you may allow other investigators to gain any cards you purchase.

Spells/Assets

• Asset: Personal Assistant (Ally) (2)
    • Gain +1 Influence
    • You may reroll 1 die when resolving an Influence test
  • Asset: Cat Burglar (Ally) (1)
    • ACTION: Roll 1 die. On a 5 or 6, gain 1 ITEM or TRINKET asset from the reserve. On a 1, discard this card.
  • Asset: Puzzle Box (Trinket) (3)
    • When you perform a Rest action, you may open the puzzle box by testing Observation. Nothing happens if you fail.

Noia, The Astronomer

Vital Stats
Health: 5
Sanity: 7

Skill Stats
Lore: 3
Influence: 1
Will: 4

Abilities

• ACTION: Spend 2 Clues to destroy 1 Monster on a space containing a Gate.
  • Once per round, you may choose to spend 1 Sanity instead of spending 1 Clue.

Spells/Assets

• Spell: Feed the Mind (Ritual)
    • ACTION: Test Lore -1. If you pass, choose an investigator in your space to Improve one skill of their choice. Then Flip this card.
  • Asset: Whiskey (Item) (1)
    • You may discard this card to prevent an investigator on your space from losing up to 2 Sanity.
  • Condition: Blessed (Boon)
    • 4s now also count as successes for you, in addition to 5s and 6s.
    • If you would gain another Blessed condition, flip this card instead.
    • If you would gain a Cursed condition, discard this card instead.
    • RECKONING: Roll 1 die. On a 1 or 2, discard this card.

TriOctium, The Redeemed Cultist

Vital Stats
Health: 7
Sanity: 5

Skill Stats
Lore: 4
Influence: 2
Strength: 3
Will: 1

Abilities

• ACTION:  If there is a Cultist Monster on your space, destroy all Monsters on your space or move the Cultist to any other space.
  • Reduce the horror of Monsters you encounter to 1.

Spells/Assets

• Spell: Wither (Incantation)
    • When resolving a Combat Encounter, you may test Lore. If you pass, gain +3 Strength during that encounter. Then Flip this card.
  • Asset: Arcane Tome (Item - Tome) (3)
    • Gain +2 Lore when resolving spell effects.
    • When you perform a Rest action, you may test Lore. If you pass, draw 1 new Spell card.

HH, The Actress

Vital Stats
Health: 5(-1)

Skill Stats
Lore: 2
Influence: 4
Observation: 2
Strength: 2 (+2)
Will: 3

Abilities

• ACTION: Spend any number of Improvement tokens, then improve 1 skill of your choice for each token spent (+2 token counts as 2 tokens)
  • Once per round, an investigator on your space may roll 1 extra die when resolving a test.

Spells/Assets

• Asset: .18 Derringer (Trinket - Weapon)
    • You may add 1 to the result of 1 die when resolving a Strength test during Combat Encounters.

Sean, The Spy

Tokens/Tickets

Clue token x 2

Vital Stats
Health: 7
Sanity: 5

Skill Stats
Lore: 1
Influence: 3
Observation: 4
Strength: 3
Will: 2

Abilities

• ACTION: If you have no clues, gain 1 Clue.
  • If an investigator in your space spends a Clue to reroll a die, they may reroll 2 dice instead.

Spells/Assets

• Asset: .45 Automatic (Item - Weapon)
    • Gain +3 Strength during Combat Encounters.
  • Artifact: Glass of Mortlan (Item - Magical)
    • Each 6 you roll when resolving a spell effect counts as 2 successes.
    • You may prevent the loss of 1 Sanity when resolving your spell effects.

***Eth, The Shaman***

Tokens/Tickets
Clue token x 2

Vital Stats
Health: 5

Skill Stats
Lore :3
Influence: 2
Observation: 2(+1)
Will: 4

Abilities

• ACTION: Learn the locations of the next 2 Gates to appear. You may place 1 Gate on the top of the stack and the other on the bottom.
  • When you close a Gate during an Other World Encounter, you may move to any space containing a Clue or a Gate.

Spells/Assets

• Spell: Mists of Releh (Incantation)
    • During the Encounter Phase, you may test Lore. If you pass, you may ignore the presence of monsters on your space when choosing an encounter. Then Flip this card.
  • Asset: Private Investigator (Ally)
    • Gain +1 Observation
    • You may reroll 1 die when resolving an Observation Test.

ANCIENT ONE

eKn3vQk.png

BOARD

xLvHUDF.jpg

Info:
Clue tokens - The Pyramids, The Himalayas, The Amazon
Expedition Token - Pyramids
Eldritch Tokens - Tokyo, Shanghai, Sydney

Active Gates & Monsters:
Gates - Tokyo (Blue), Sydney (Red), London (Blue), Rome (Red)
Monsters - Tokyo (Shoggoth), London (Ghoul), Rome (Hound of Tindalos)

Shoggoth = Horror 3, Damage 2, Health 4. (Strength test has -2 modifier)
Reckoning Effect: Monster recovers all health.

Ghoul = Horror 1, Damage 2, Health 1.

Tests: Will test gets +1
Effect: If you lose Health from the Strength test, gain a Paranoia condition.

Hound of Tindalos = Horror 2, Damage 3, Health 3.

Tests: Strength test gets -1
Reckoning Effect: Move this monster to the nearest space with an Investigator on it, and then immediately initiate a Combat encounter with it

Assets Available to Buy:

viQWR6z.png

Skill Legend:

0mSunjI.png

ACTIVE MYSTERY

NIyHZ5H.png

(that symbol in the text means number of players. In this case, 6).

(so this all means you must collect the eldritch tokens by reaching them. But you need 2 clues to collect the token, so no point heading for them until you first get 2 clues. Remember some players have started with a clue. Otherwise you need to get to the locations with Clues and resolve an encounter there to get the clue).

I've wrapped up filming the Brazilian beach party segments (that were completely superfluous to the main  of "Dick Steel Turns An Entire Banana Republic Junta Into Hamburger 2: Now With Busty Supermodels", and we'll now be filming in the Amazon. In the meantime, I shall make vapid tweets about the filming and start ranting at my co-stars, eventually culminating in me rushing off into the jungle in what appears to be a highly-publicized celebrity meltdown. In truth, however, I am in search of the ruins of Chichen Itza to find its connection to the strange happenings around me!

Unfortunately, no one has actually told Max Jagerbomber that Chichen Itza isn't in the Amazon, but in Mexico. Details, details; all those South American countries are pretty much all the same anyway.

In the meantime, his personal, oddly light-fingered 'secretary' makes attempts to make some... acquisitions. Unfortunately, it turns out that the locals have nothing worth stealing.

[Travel to the Amazon to search for clues.]

[use Cat Burglar to acquire sweet, sweet loot. She failed.]

The great Yevgeny shall commence travel to Tokyo. Sadly I am master spy, not master world traverser. [i must make stop a little to east of Tungaska,] before I go south to Tokyo. Sadly I can't do much more. Master spy is useless when there is no spying to be done.

Upon hearing about the new gate that opened up in London, Mr Astronomer hightailed out of there. He's but a mere stargazer - the younger ones can take care of the violent work!

The same decision making process took place after setting foot on Rome.

Life really isn't going too well for the elderly man right now.

-

[Travel one stop to Rome]

[buy a train ticket in Rome]

[Travel one stop to the Pyramids]

[Pick up Clue token]

Reckoning [Failed]

Blessed condition: 1d6 1

Sir Bearington is depressed that he couldn't find the clue and so he will sit on his haunches until he has recovered enough from his depression to search again.

[No move action]

Zhuge Liangfeng has arrived safely in Sydney [travel to Sydney], yet that was the only good news on this dark, dark day. He had observed the ominous shifts in the stars above the night before, and knew that the ranks of investigators were suffering from low morale due to the recent setbacks. An unexpected wave of melancholy came over the intrepid Shaman. Only the second day, and all seemed bleak already… 

Phhhrrrrt!

Zhuge Liangfeng turned at the sound to find Guanyu Zhe, whose face had turned a deeper shade of red than usual, frowning and averting his gaze.

"HAHAHA! You truly are a great ally, Guanyu Zhe! The legends will speak of The Fart That Turned The Tides of Battle for centuries to come! Now, do stand aside before the heroine arrives. It would not do to leave a bad impression. We shall require complete faith in each other in the days to come."

His good humor restored, Zhuge Liangfeng awaited the idol's arrival. He fully intended to entrust her with the clues Guanyu Zhe and he had obtained regarding the true name of the Great Evil whilst he attempted to seal the Gates of Hell here in the city [Trade both clues to HH].

"Mm, oh, I see, I see," I said as Zuge Liangfeng passed the 2 Clues to me. "I've a much better understanding of the mystery now!"

[use 2 Clues to move 1 Eldritch token to Mystery board]

Using the 2 Clues for that is done as an Encounter action. So that's next. Spoke to HH and she changed to Rest and Acquire Assets then.

Rolled for her in game and she got 3 successes, buys the Silver Twilight Ritual, which immediately retreats Doom by 1 and is then discarded. Doom is now back to 12.

ENCOUNTER PHASE

Choose 1 encounter. If a monster occupies your space you HAVE to fight it. IF it dies then you may do one of the other encounters as well.

• Fight a monster
  • Draw either a General card or a location card matching the area you are in
  • Resolve a token on your current space

Since everyone pretty much specified their encounter intents already I'll just go ahead and take the actions, so ya'll just need to resolve the cards you get:

Zhuge Liangfeng enters the Gate and searches the otherworld on the other side for means to close it. He finds himself in a great library hall. Naturally the thing to do is look for the book that will explain how to close this gate. He spends hours searching to no avail, and his willpower is fading.

[Will Test]

If you pass: You find the relevant book entitled "Closing Gates for Dummies". Go to Success Outcome

If you fail: You cannot find the book. You feel that if only you had a Clue you might be able to find it, but since you have none, you become Delayed instead.

Success Outcome

The instructions in the book are hard to understand, let alone follow. Nevertheless you do your best with it,

[Lore Test]

If you pass: You successfully close the gate.

If you fail: You become frustrated. Lose 1 Sanity.

Max Jagerbomber evidently is not the sort to wait around for others to get things done, and also delves into the Amazon. He stumbles upon the site of a fallen meteor, where some Mi-go (eldritch creatures) are digging it up. He attempts to sneak up and observe what it is they are going to do with it.

[Observation Test]

If you pass: You see that the creatures use fragments of the meteor as power sources. Gain this clue and 1 additional clue.
If you fail: You are spotted and the creatures shoot you with a strange weapon that renders you unconscious for several hours. Gain an Amnesia condition.

Amidst the dull yellowed Pyramids, Mr Astronomer finds a 20ft tall metallic Cone. Gain this clue. There's also strange alien technology inside, that he tries to make sense of.

[Lore(-1) Test]

If you pass: You manage to operate the technology, giving you clearer insight into the Omens. Discard an Eldritch token from the Omen track.

If you fail: Nothing happens.

Sir Bearington is after Max Jagerbomber in turn order, so we must see if Max manages to collect the clue successfully.

HH uses the clues provided to her by Zhuge Liangfeng and manages to discover part of Azathoth's true name! One Eldritch token is applied to the Mystery. Two more are required to solve it.

Yevgeny Onisim Lazar Ostrovsky is merely walking to his ultimate destination when he notices the ground slopes so perfectly uniformly upward that he suspects a structure is hidden underneath. If he is so inclined, he could search for the entrance and see what is inside.

You may spend 1 Clue to gain 1 Artifact.

Sir Bearington looks saddened as Max pulls the clue right from under his nose. Grunting in indignation, he wanders off in the Amazon, trying to look for something else to do.

[Draw a Location Card]

Sir Bearington comes across another cave with another painting on its wall. This time he doesn't bother inspecting the painting too much, in favor of exploring the cave itself. However, the dark, constricting passages create a sense of claustrophobia.

[Will(-1) Test] 

If you pass: You make your way through the caves at ease and find some leftovers of an ancient civilization. Gain 1 Artifact.

If you fail: The claustrophobia is too much for you and you freak out and flee the caves. Lose 2 Sanity.

Wait... My Will is 1, and this test says (-1) Will. What does that mean?

Mr Astronomer kicked the foreign object multiple times, muttering something about kids and their newfangled devices. It spluttered to life and made some beeping noises before reciting the Wiki page on 'Omens' in Microsoft Sam's voice.

Lore -1: 2d6 [2d6=5, 2]

Wait... My Will is 1, and this test says (-1) Will. What does that mean?

Oh, you never roll less than 1 die so you can do 1 still.

Sir Bearington walked and walked and walked, but the caverns never seemed to end! It was so frustrating, like the time he couldn't find his way out of the forest because all the trees looked the same. He growled in anger (and perhaps due to his lowering sanity as well).

Will Test: 1d6=4 (Failure)

Zhuge Liangfeng found himself in a very strange plac- oh, it was a library. Being an esteemed scholar who had passed China's horrendously difficult imperial exams, or kao zhuang (考状), he had more than enough willpower to find a measly book.

Bookworming: 4d6 16

Will check [4 die]: 5, 6, 3, 2 Success

"'To close the gate, first face north and do the Chicken Dance. Then do the Moonwalk for four strides. Face south. Two sharks will appear as back-up dancers. Sing and jiggle to California Girls. Then turn to face west. Sing and dance to Uptown Funk Ft. Bruno Mars as you exit.  The gates shall close behind you.' Okay…"

Gate-Closing; Lore: 3d6 12

Lore check (Pop Culture) [3 die]: 4, 2, 6 Success

Zhuge Liangfeng totally nailed it and exited in style, back-up dancers in tow. He was singing and dancing all the way to the Himalayas, where the next clue was [proc Ability due to Gate closure, move to Himalayas].

"I'm too hot~ (Hot damn!) Called a police and a fireman~"

1 person likes this

Zhuge Liangfeng found himself in a very strange plac- oh, it was a library. Being an esteemed scholar who had passed China's horrendously difficult imperial exams, or zhuang kao (桩考), he had more than enough willpower to find a measly book.

Bookworming: 4d6 16

Will check [4 die]: 5, 6, 3, 2 Success

"To close the gate, first face north and do the Chicken Dance. Then do the Moonwalk for four strides. Face south and then sing the chorus of Uptown Funk Ft. Bruno Mars. Two sharks will appear as back-up dancers. Sing California Girls as you exit. The gates shall close behind you. Okay…"

Gate-Closing; Lore: 3d6 12

Lore check (Pop Culture)[3 die]: 4, 2, 6 Success

Zhuge Liangfeng totally nailed it and exited in style, back-up dancers in tow.

I somehow suspect that H.P. Lovecraft is spinning in his grave.

1 person likes this