Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DayDreamer

Your Writing Readability

15 posts in this topic

So I stumbled upon this site that has a program that will analyze a block of text and assess various aspects of its readability. You then get a Grade Level score that indicates the lowest education level needed to understand your writing. It'll also highlight different things and suggest how you can improve the readability.

So go ahead and copy/paste some of your RP posts or such into it and see what sort of reading level your writing is at. Lower is better.

http://www.hemingwayapp.com/

Here's what it has to say about itself, in the desktop version Help file:

Hemingway judges the “grade level“ of your text using the Automated Readability Index. It's a reliable algorithm that has been in use since the days of electronic typewriters to show how complicated your writing is.

Now when we say “grade level,“ we don't mean the level of education your work is intended for. In fact, many of Ernest Hemingway's own stories score as low as 4th or 5th grade levels, despite their adult audience. What our measurement actually gauges is the minimum level of education needed to understand your prose.

For example, if your writing scores at a 15th grade level, it does not mean that it is necessarily better than writing at an 8th grade level. In fact, writing that scores that high is often confusing and tedious for any reader, regardless of their education. After all, unless you're writing a textbook (and even then) you probably don't want it to sound like a textbook.

To help you notice sentences that are difficult to read, Hemingway highlights them in yellow. For the most difficult sentences, it uses a red highlight. Don't fret if your text lights up like a Christmas tree, though. With just a few changes, you can get your writing ready for even the toughest critics.

One of the easiest ways to avoid high marks is to break up sentences that contain more than one thought into separate sentences. It keeps things nice and tidy and is sure to please your readers. Another trick is to avoid long words when simpler synonyms exist. It's another problem Hemingway highlights to help you avoid.

I already checked out a few other people's posts and ya'll are pretty good. I checked into this cos I suspected my own are needlessly tedious and indeed my average result is too high. Highest I've seen so far was my introduction post to the Eldritch Horror game which hit Grade 21. Lowest I've seen so far was one of HH's RP posts that hit Grade 6.

I ran one of my Kingdom Mystery posts through it. Turns out that cat-ongue is grade 8 difficulty, eheheh.

Neat little tool...

So I threw an exceptionally ancient version of "Ye Boocke of Ye Ages" into it (a most holy and sacred book of the Triumvirate), and that ended up with a 6th grade level :P

Why do I have an old as heck file like that?   Blame me never cleaning out my external harddrive! :D

1 person likes this

Wow Asura

I can't believe you still have that

I should try feeding a Wikipedia page on particle physics or something into it.

I checked quite a few of mine, lowest was 6, but I think I averaged around 11-13, just an estimate. Was interesting though, of course now I'm rereading old rps. ^^; I can't fathom what you must have wrote to be at 21. XD

Do mine! I'm on my phone and can't :(

Did one of Ice's and it was Grade 5, new low~

Wow Asura

I can't believe you still have that

I should try feeding a Wikipedia page on particle physics or something into it.

Tried that and the first paragraph hit 23, so new high~

I checked quite a few of mine, lowest was 6, but I think I averaged around 11-13, just an estimate. Was interesting though, of course now I'm rereading old rps. ^^; I can't fathom what you must have wrote to be at 21. XD

The first post here was what hit 21: http://www.surreality-rp.com/topic/1100-eldritch-horror/

I tried this thing on my posts from a couple other communities and... yeah, I tend to hit between grade 15 and post-collegiate, for the most part. Mostly the latter.

Note that I'm no good at talking to kids, either. I have little to no clue how to not be complex, but my co-writers assure me that they enjoy writing with me and that my posts are worth waiting for, soooo....

*shrug*

...take that as you will.

I hit a brand new record. The opening paragraphs for the Wikipedia article on Evolution hit Grade 29.

In contrast, the Simple English Wikipedia one hit Grade 9... which still isn't actually that simple, I think.

And as expected, feeding my character profiles into it produced results ranging from Grade 11 (my most recent ones) to Grade 21 (My Dragoons one, why am I not surprised?).

I'm averaging a 9 or 10 on my newer posts.

This disturbs me, as the infamous fanfic 30 Hs ranks at Grade 7.

Fun Fact: My Immortal ranks at Grade 3.

I seem to get between Grade 4 to 7 on my posts. The inconsistency annoys me. Though, i'm not sure I understand the scoring system. I only glanced over it - why is low good?

Basically the lower it is the easier it is to read, according to the algorithm at least.

The example "hard to read" sentence has an unnecessary semi-colon, so what would be two simple sentences becomes a single complex one. The "very hard to read" example has two commas and a dash, extending the sentence even further, and twice uses two different descriptive terms for the same thing. <- That last sentence of mine comes up as "hard to read", but if I split it into two sentences its fine then. That's why there's so much variation, it'll depend a lot on the nature of the text - a dialogue-heavy post will likely turn out differently than a more descriptive one or such.

The main way to end up with higher scores seems to be just being more wordy or meandering.

It's debatable how useful this is for creative writing. The main point is lower score means your communication is more clear and effective. Doesn't say anything about content or creativity, it's solely an indication of how your info/ideas are being conveyed.

Yeah, I think this is a fairly unreliable tool for creative writing. Better for English, for example, than English Literature. Because many of you have posted high 'grade' scores, but I think of many of you as being really excellent writers, so I think it's talkin' out it's computer algorithm ass.

It isn't even a very accurate way to convey readability if My Immortal gets a Grade 3...

(No sentence structure is the simplest sentence structure there is!)