rockzeppelin

451 (The Wolf Among Us Roleplay)

752 posts in this topic

Another average day had gone by quietly and peacefully for Yang Quan, a convenience shop owner in Fabletown. The place itself was far from paradise. Noisy, corrupt by gangs and organised crime, not to mention that not a single one of the people living there behaved like regular humans. Well, you can take the monster out of the forest, and so on, he guessed. Or maybe that's as much as their glamour could do for them. Luckily for him, he attracted no attention. There was much still left of the length of his existence and he wanted to spend it away from the chaos of the world.
After closing up the shop, he retired to the apartment just above it. It was a quaint little place, old and worn out by time but with some care it was home. He logged onto his computer to hopefully lose himself in the internet, when a curious site caught his eye. There was a girl on his desktop, messing with his files and programs. The thought that it might be some kind of advanced virus worried him, as the possibility of one destroying his entire hard drive was not something he wanted to allow. He opened his antivirus to begin a scan, and then, hopefully, a quick purge.

She woke up utterly confused and disoriented, there was a blindingly bright light at first before her eyes adjusted and she realised she was in a computer screen. Frantically her immediate reaction was to start rifling through anything she could find, trying to find an explanation for where she was or better yet, who she was. She couldn’t remember her name, who she was in general, or how she had gotten there. Now already in a panic she nearly jumped through the screen when she felt something tugging on her. Looking at the screen she realised that there was a window open for anti-virus software, she had no idea if it could affect her but she rapidly swiveled around and looked out the monitor, only to see a looming face frowning at her. Quickly she put her hands up and yelled stop, however when she didn’t hear any sound she looked down at the volume control, adjusted it to a moderate setting then said “Hey! Turn that off!†She shouted before trying to jump up and exit out of the window he had opened.

His eyes widened when he saw, and heard, the virus react. He wasn't exactly caught up on the newest advances in software but that didn't seem like your average bug. He paused the scan "Can you... see me? I mean, are you self-aware?"

She paused in her frantic jumping and looked back at him before saying "Of course I can! Your face is like 80% of my view right now!" She didn't sound intensely happy, but then again she didn't feel terribly joyous. Being confused and questioned was never a good mix and she wasn't in the mood. 

He moved back in embarrassment "Sorry" he then paused and raised an eyebrow at himself "Wait, why am I apologising to a computer virus? That is what you are, isn't it? I mean, I don't suppose the concept of there being a person in my computer is THAT impossible but still" he shrugged "I mean I could be hallucinating, or I might be asleep on my desk right now and am just having a lucid dream"

She frowned up at him and put her hands on her hips "I am not a computer virus! I don't want any of your stupid files unless they tell me why I'm even here!" She said, her voice raising into a yell. "Just" She softened her voice again and crossed her arms "Who are you? Where am I? Who am I?" The last question was said with a touch of desperation.

He shrugged and shook his head "I'm sorry. I'm as stumped as you are. I don't usually trap people in my computer and as far as I know I didn't create you. I wish I could help though" he said before closing the antivirus and opening his downloads list "I didn't download you and you didn't do it yourself. And you're not part of my mail. Someone must've sent you here through magic. But I can't imagine who, or why"

She paused as she listened to him. He sounded genuine enough and she didn't have anyone else to question so instead she just plopped down on the tool bar, leaning against the side of the screen and frowning as she thought "Who are you though?" She asked after a minute or two went by, looking up at him again. 

"Oh, sorry. My name is Yang Quan. I'm a convenience shop owner here in Fabletown. And this is my apartment" he said, gesturing to the room behind him "Well, by bedroom, at least. You can call me Yang, however. If you'd like. But since you're in this situation I guess you're either a fable yourself or a human who discovered the truth behind Fabletown" he said, thinking out loud. He had speculated the possibility of humans finding them out, though, given the possibility of what would happen he doubted anyone would have it in their best interest to let it happen "Then again, the latter would mean you'd be dead, or at best, have your memory wiped"

She looked alarmed at that last comment for a moment before looking down at her hands "Dead? Really?" Her voice had a panicked twinge to it before she shook her head violently "N-no way! I'm not dead, I'm just, I know what Fabletown is, I know what Fables are, and I think I am one, but I just" She sighed "I just don't know who I am" She ran a hand through her hair before standing up and looking around her. At the edges of the screen were small openings, she just... knew that if she went in them she'd show up somewhere else, in something else. The closer the thing was from what she could tell, the easier she could get in. The biggest hole was to a book sitting on the desk next to the monitor of the computer, she thought for a moment before saying "Just watch, I can prove it to you!" She said then walked to the hole and pulled herself through. On the desk the older copy of 1984's cover changed, now showing an animate upper body of the girl, the title text changed to 'See! I'm a Fable! I know I am!"

He smiled in surprise "Wow, that's amazing" he said, picking up the book "So you can travel through books too. Can't say I don't envy you"

She blinked then smiled a little, poking the cover where his hand was holding it. The title text changed to 'Can you feel that?' She asked, when she touched it she could feel a little warmth from it, which made her smile get a bit wider.

He nodded "Yeah, there was a bit of a bump" he said before opening the book wide to a random page and putting it down on the desk in front of him "This might better, just don't mess with the text, please. It's a vintage copy and I'd like to keep it"

She shifted herself so she was on that page, sitting on a line about 2/3rd's of the page down. She looked around herself again before sighing and resting her chin on her hand. One the top of the page where the blank space was, words appeared in the same typeface and size and the words below, saying 'Thank you, but I don't know what to do now'.

He leaned back in his chair and tapped his chin "Why don't you get out of the book? You'd be less of a prisoner that way and I could have someone to share dinner with" he suggested.

She looked somewhat surprised at him before getting off the sentence and walking towards the wall separating her from him. She pressed her hand against it and pushed, then added her other hand and pushed harder and harder until she gave up, sighing and resting her forehead on the wall while the text changed to say 'I don't think I can'

"Oh" he frowned with a hint of depression "I'm sorry. Well, maybe you could move back to the computer, at least I'd be able to talk to you. If you want to, of course"

She stepped away from the wall and nodded, her brief bit of joy at feeling the warmth from his hand through the cover of the book having more or less dissipated by now. She passed back into the computer and sat down on the tool bar again, looking at him expectantly. 

"So um..." he said awkwardly. He wasn't used to having conversations with people that lasted more than two minutes while they bought what they came into his shop to buy and left. The fact was, he hadn't had a conversation partner in what seemed like decades. He looked off to the side and rubbed his forearm "I guess I should still call you something" he turned to her, giving her a look-over "What about Wisp?" he suggested.

She paused then looked down at herself, she was pale, and skinny, she guessed it fit to a degree. Looking back up at him she smiled slightly and said "That works for me. I guess I'm Wisp now" She laughed a little and tilted her head.

He leaned forward and smiled at her brightly "It's a pleasure to meet you, Wisp. I hope I can make your stay as pleasant as possible"

"It's um, it's nice to meet you too Yang" She said right back, her cheeks colored a darkish grey color now. "I don't want to bother you though, I don't have to stay here if you'd rather I didn't"

He chuckled and shook his head "No, it's completely fine. It's nice having someone other than myself to talk to"

He smiled bashfully and looked off to the side "Thank you. Like I said, I'd be glad to be of help with whatever I can"