Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sethmeister007

I bought a car for $500

205 posts in this topic

Somewhere, in an urban neighborhood the birds are chirping, old Nikes are swaying from their laces on a wire.  A sound system thud-thud-thuds in the distance.  Seth just got his tax return and rode his bike across town to pick up a 1985 Ford LTD from a Craigslist seller.

1985 ford crown vic ltd 4 sell.....needs work....runs

blue wit blue interior, stereo gone.....

xtra tires in trunk, fullszie spare

$500 cash only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no idiots!!!!!!!!!!!

It wasn't quite like the Interceptor he drove in college but as a car built on a platform which hadn't changed since the 70's, it was close enough, and $500 was a fair price to buy it, have some fun with it, and take it to the scrap yard.  When he reached the approximate location of the car, he pulled his bike off onto the sidewalk and straddled it as he pulled out his cell phone and called the seller.

Seller: "Uh, hello"

Seth: "Hi.  I messaged you about the LTD for $500..."

Seller: "Okay, yea' I still got it"

Seth: "Good.  I am currently at...Murray and 24th and there's, like, a pizza shop with a beer distributor in the same building.  Where do I need to go?"

Seller: "Umm you're gonna go down Murray two blocks, then go left up the hill to Arbor Street.  I'm in a tan house with a fence after the first stop sign."

Seth: "That sounds easy enough, I'll call if I get lost but yep...be there in 10 or so."

Seller: "Yah ok man, sounds good."

Seth located the Craigslist Seller's house based on the directions.  He chained his bike to a signpost and peeked down the house's driveway to see something resembling the alleged card in a patch of tall grass.  Before he walked up to the door to knock, the assumed Craigslist Seller walked out and greeted 'Ay man, you here for the car?"

"Yea, let's see it!" Seth replied, barely able to contain his excitement.

They walked down the driveway to the patch of tall grass where the car was parked.  The Seller opened a door for Seth and pointed out various features: ash tray, the missing stereo, the location of the truck release; then they looked at the retreads contained in the trunk.  "Can I try starting it?" Seth asked.

"Sure, man," The Seller replied and handed Seth the key.  Seth entered the car and turned the key, surprised the car started right up.  After further inspection, he found the car suitable and purchased it from The Seller, who seemed happy to get the car off his property and get some money in the process.  Seth threw his bike haphazardly in the back seat and drove the car out of the driveway.

Seth doesn't always stop at every stop sign, but when he does, it's when he's driving a car with no insurance or registration.  It was only across town on a Sunday...what could go wrong?

((Anyone is free to jump in with any type of character.  This is a realistic RP, can possibly include sex, yaoi-friendly.  No anime/cartoon pictures.))

After a dreadful morning of being forced into 2 hours or church by her family, Maren skipped the car ride home and decided to walk the 2 miles. She enjoyed walking down some of these downtown streets due to them having amazing oaks and semi-friendly people.

When walking these streets that she does so often she normally doesnt look about when crossing streets, and especially today because she had gained a book that had sparked her interest and everyone knows that once Maren had a book she liked she was not going to put it down. Her vintage cut dark blue dress fluttered in the small amount of wind there was and her green/brown eyes were plastered to the pages of this book while her penny colored ear lay over her bare shoulders.

She was stepping into the cross road of Welsh and Lawrence when she saw a shape to her left and then a small honk and the sound of tires squealing. She jumped almost six inches in the air and dropped her book along with her phone and other things that were in her hands.

"I'm sorry!! Oh.. Im sorry..." She shouted, then proceeded to mumble to herself as she picked up the things scattered infront on the truck.

*meant to say penny colored hair, sorry. I hope we can jump into this and have fun with it. I enjoy realistic rp's*

At a green light, the last thing a driver expects are screeching tires and a sudden flash of brake lights directly in front of them.  A brand new chromed-out F-150 quad-cab heavy super duty with longhorn steer cowboy interior and eight cylinders full of mashed potatoes n' gravy and the 'Murican spirit of freedom pouring in a black plume from the smokestack: crashing into one of those with an uninsured car is how to commit lifetime financial suicide.  The truck's brake lights flashed as Seth jammed on the LTD's brakes faster than his own mind could comprehend.  His car's tires screeched and the vehicle rotated - the right brakes worked but the left ones apparently were too gimpy to stop in a straight line.  I didn't hit the truck, I didn't hit the truck, I didn't hit the truck Seth whispered under his panting breaths; his legs were shaking with a rush of adrenaline.  There were no cars behind his, so he took some time to sit in the car and collect himself, contemplating the total inanity of his decision to drive the car illegally.  Naturally, the truck sped away with a belch of black smoke and whistling turbo diesel.

Seth noticed the auburn-haired girl who was picking her stuff off the road.  He backed the car against the curb and got out to check if she was okay.  "Are you okay?" he asked, with an involuntary nervous smile, as he exited the car but didn't rush over.  Seth was 6'4" and on the athletic side of "average" - muscular but not bulky, with slight pudge on his belly and hips - so his build and stature combined with his dark brown hair (at least) long enough to pull back in a messy bun, a few partially-visible tattoos, high-contrast Slavic features, and resting bitch-face gave him the sort of look that might make someone else cross the street at night, or try to fight him after four beers.  Outside of having a somewhat standoffish personality, he preferred to avoid doing things that could intimidate others: fast movements, standing too close, etc.

Maren watched as the quite angry man drove past her, spitting out nasty words along with black exhaust smoke that clouded her lungs and made her cough. She waved away the smoke and continued to pick up her scattered things. She picked up her now cracked phone that she knew she was going to be lectured and yelled at for due to it being the fourth phone she has broken this year. She then picked up her book to find a nice tire print on the front cover that would not rub off. She huffed and rubbed her face in time to realize she had began to cry. Great... I'm crying. What next?  And with that thought she noticed the guy stepping out of his own parked truck and moving towards her.

Perfect... she said to herself as she stood up. She stood around five foot eight inches but felt short looking at this rather tall man. Her face was welcoming but her eyes did hide a bit of fire that only select people could bring out. Her figure was one that every man seemed to crave due to her having wide hips and a smaller waist with a perfectly sized medium chest. Now her stomach was not flat but from the hollers she got in public and numbers handed to her by waiters and Starbucks employees she knew her place and that made her sarcastic and nothing someone would expect from her.

"Oh.. um yeah I'm okay.. just a bit startled. Was my fault though." she mumbled as the guy became closer, taller, and for some strange reason more attractive.

Seth observed her a moment and asked, "You're not from around here, are you?"  Asshole truck driver as an asshole, but living in the city as long as he had - especially after living in the country, where understanding Walk/Not-Walk signs wasn't a matter of life and death and drivers didn't give right-of-way anyway - he noticed there were two types of people who, in general, had poor pedestrian etiquette: people from the poor-and-poorly-educated areas crossed wherever they wanted to, possibly in passive-aggressive "micro aggressions" against people who can afford cars; and visitors from the suburbs and country.  On the same token, drivers from the country often had no idea how to drive around pedestrians.  Combined at events like parades, festivals, and the weekend bar scene, the two forces - pedestrians who can't deal with drivers, and drivers who can't deal with pedestrians - collide to produce traffic jams, wrecks, and utter bedlam.

He felt substantially uncomfortable with her crying.  Being unfamiliar with her, he didn't feel it appropriate to offer consolation, and he also didn't know if ignoring altogether the fact she's crying would make her more or less embarrassed.  At the same time, in his male nature, he was assessing her body and features, and trying to figure out her age.  He guessed her to be at least 18 but it would surprise him if she were more than 24; she might be a college student.  Seth wasn't overly picky but he had a preference for girls who were "pears" to any degree, slim but with just enough of something he can hold on to.  He didn't look at her too long or too hard, because she was crying -  for fuck's sake - and ogling too much would be blatantly disrespectful.

((I was confused in your first post because you said "truck" so I just rolled with it.  It's okay because it's impossible to know what every car looks like, but this is a Crown Vic LTD))

She gave a bit of a smile, trying to wipe away her tears. "No, Im visiting my family for the summer while Im on break." She mumbled looking up at him. She could see the tattoos peeping from his shirt sleeves and his cut face made her blush. She felt a bit embarrased for crying like that in front of someone she didnt know.

"Thank you for checking on me. I figured I was alone after he coated me in smoke." She said softly, moving a bit of her hair from her face. She realized just then that she just did what girls do when they flirt, and she promised that this summer she eouldnt have a fling with anyone. Not after the last one.

Seth noticed her sweep a lock of hair from her face, and gazed around awkwardly.  "Cool," he responded, "So, do you need a ride anywhere? ...or I could call an Uber for you." he then added, making it clear that he wasn't just talking to her just to take her home.  Foremost, he wanted to help her, but then again if they became more familiar with one another, he wasn't about to resist that.

His phone vibrated in his pocket and he took it out to see what was happening.  It was a text from a friend: "whats up?".  Seth responded, typing quickly, then dropped the phone - a cracked phone a few generations older than what was currently on the market - back in the pocket of his cargo shorts.

She started to answer him, maybe accept the ride, until she saw him pull out his phone and reply quite fast to the text message. She gave a small sigh and smiled a bit. "Thats alright... I think i need to walk this off. Clear my head a bit after all that.." She said, making a cute, frantic little hand gesture to the road infront of her.

Maren gave a soft smile and said thank you, nodding and turning to walk away from him. She thought for a moment as she took a few steps and turned back.

"But.. If you'd like i can offer a free cup of coffee from my Uncles cafe on 10th street... A thank you for being a gentleman." She said lightly, nervously running her fingers over the pages of her book.

"Coffee sounds good. Do you want to ride or walk?" Seth asked. 10th street, considering they were somewhere in the area of 20th wasn't too far to walk. It would take next to no time at all to drive there. Finding a parking space might be tricky, but the time of day meant there may be more open spaces than usual. Seth had no preference at all how they got to the coffee shop.

"We could drive.." She says softly looking over at his vehicle and then back at him. She made her way over to the car, waiting for him to get to his side of the car before opening the door and leaning into the seat. She moved with such grace and something as small as getting into a car was made to look so beautiful even though she wasnt even trying. As the car began to move the small scent of chai moved through the air, a thin cover of cinnomon followed that scent. Being in that cafe made Maren smell just like her favorite drink.

She sat quietly and watched the scenes go by occasionally taking a glance at her driver as they moved. He had what her mother liked to call a sour attitude face and she smiled to herself, which happened to make her smile at him.

"Okay," Seth said and walked back to the car, opened the door, and got in.  He leaned over to pull the door lock up on her side, then turned the key.  Slamming the brakes earlier must have knocked something out of place, because while the car started smoothly the first time he started it, it didn't start so smoothly this time.  "Ghetto piece of shit..." Seth growled under his breath after attempting to turn the engine the first time.  He tried again with his foot on the gas and the car started, albeit very loudly.  He turned the wheel sharply to exit the parking spot and a screeching emanated from under the hood as the steering approached the maximum range, then it stopped when he straightened the car out.  Seth crossed the main street and used the side street instead.

"This is a project car I just picked up - I do drive a normal, civilized car," he said, embarrassed as he noticed her smiling from the passenger seat.  It was a good thing that Maren was waxing nostalgic about the smell of coffee because this car smelled like a cluster of overpowering air freshener trees like that hanging from the rear-view mirror - the scent resembling an imitation of a rip-off of generic men's body spray - with an undertone of mold and likely whatever fluids and sweat settled into the back seat from the heinous freaking of Craigslist Seller.

"I hope so.." She said with a small laugh. She liked his simple attitude towards things. She noticed buildings outside the car when she pulled her eyes away from him. "Pull around back and we can go through the back door." Maren said, sitting forward in her seat as they hit the gravel parking lot. The crunching under the tires was tied together with the sound of music playing from the outdide speakers of the cafe for the people sitting outside. They pulled into a parking spot and she waited for Seth to turn off the car before stepping out into the sun.

Seth drove around the back of the building and parked in the gravel lot.  He took in the scenery before following Maren inside.  The coffee shop was familiar; Seth may have been here months ago, perhaps in winter.  There were several coffee shops in this neighborhood so it was possible that he went to a different one.  Once they walked inside, he recognized the place.  It was obviously in a turn-of-the-century building with ceiling tiles, intricate crown molding, high ceilings, and likewise tall windows; the paint scheme was colorful but classy, with unique artworks by local artists and antique, but comfortable, furniture.  Last time he was here, it was indeed in the winter: he met a date here after she gave him inaccurate directions and he ended up walking to the wrong shop in sub-zero wind-chill.  Needless to say, that date didn't get off to a good start and sort of went downhill from there.  He did end up getting coffee by himself 30 minutes after he was supposed to meet his date after explaining his frustrations in no uncertain terms.

As he walked through the coffee shop to the line, Seth contemplated his order.  Today was definitely a day for an iced-something, though he didn't know if he wanted an Americano or something more interesting.  Some of Seth's usual companions' habits rubbed off on him and he acquired somewhat of a taste for coffee and microbrews.  On the same token, he usually chose one at random because they were all "pretty good" but he lacked the expertise (or necessary fucks to give) to determine the qualities which made one better than the other.  He was as satisfied with fair-trade coffee, a cuban cigar and a microbrew as he was with burnt coffee from 7-11, a grape blunt and a 40.

Maren walked beside Seth as they entered the back entrance of the building. She had always loved this cafe and soent many afternoons in one of the comfortable couches reading a book and sipping her drink. She looked around and smiled, remembering all her memories of friends and relatives laughing and enjoying the atmosphere of the large room. She looked over at the counter and saw that Matthew was working today, giving off his usual vibe of 'id rather be home on the internet'. She moved a bit away from Seth as she walked over and leaned over the counter to smack his hat up away from his eyes. "Come on Matt, give a little enthusiasm why dont you?" She said, staying leaned against her elbows on the counter watching a now flustered Matt pick up his hat and disgruntally place it back on his head. "Back off Maren, it's been slow today." He mumbles, looking over and eyeing Seth for a moment, giving him a concerned and somewhat jealous eye.

Maren walked back over to Seth and gave him a small nudge with her shoulder as high as it would go on him. "Come on, order your stuff." She says striding back over to the counter and leaning again against it facing Matt. She was leaning on one leg which popped out the side of her hip and in return exsentuated her wide bottom frame. It was a habit she picked up from her Father and she never really took into consideration the way it made her body look to outside veiwers.

Seth stood, studying the menu, while Maren and Matt horsed around.  An iced Americano still seemed to be a good idea.  He noticed their interaction and verbal exchange out his peripheral vision; he detected a bit of "I've-been-nice-why-won't-you-sleep-with-me-and-who-is-that-asshole?" from Matt - that hat might as well be a fedora - and an air of ignorant bliss from Maren.  Yea, probably iced Americano.  Seth had made up his mind but pretended to look at the menu until Maren nudged him.

"Right," Seth replied and glanced at Matt, who appeared to exhale and begrudgingly saunter up to the register.

"What can I get you?"

Seth matched Matt's stare of disinterest and mild annoyance with a fake smile, "Three-shot iced Americano...please."  He wasn't as cocky as he let on; he was screaming on the inside from the awkwardness of the exchange.  A different part of his psyche caused him to add, "...and I'm paying for hers too."  Then the internal screaming resumed; WHY DID YOU DO THAT YOU BASTARD? YOU DON'T KNOW HER!  As is the case with most other male mammals in the presence of a female, Seth and Matt had unknowingly entered themselves in a subliminal, subconscious, and (in the case of most humans) metaphorical dick-measuring contest.  Seth was actually, vaguely aware - hence the internal screaming: OHHH THE HUMANITY!!

Maren watched the micro expression of anger and a bit of sadness move across Matt's face when Seth said he was buying her coffee as well. She herself gave off a little blush and smiled down at the ground, observing her feet and Seth's as well before clearing her throat and snagging Matt's attention off Seth before he came across the counter at him. "You know what i want but make it cold please with my sprinkle of cinnimon on it." She said to him, giving him a sort of apoligetic smile and a shrug.

She knew that since the beginning of high school that Matt had developed a thing for her. His affections were sweet at first but became something she could handle after he got arrested Junior year for beating her cheating ex to a bloody pulp. He seemed reserved and timid but had a temper that he could rarely contain and that only her and his mother could dissolve. Matt stood around 6' and had sandy blond hair that was kept long enough to slick back but short enough to be placed into a holder. He was built nice and it would seem he would have no problems getting girls. But from the look on his face when he made Seth's drink it took all his might not to throw it at him when finished because Matt was set on one girl - Maren.

Maren seemed to be unaware of the exchange that just mentally happened with males when it comes to an interest in a girl because she drifted away to the tall book shelf to the left of the counter, running her fingers over the soft spines that were familiar to her in every way. All the books in this case she had read herself and donated, only keeping the best for herself in her own personal collection.

Maren's nonchalance at Matt's undertone of aggression made Seth nervous.  She had to know what she was doing, on some level...was Matt an ex? A spurned admirer clinging to the 'friend zone'? A 'white knight' whose services are no longer needed? Seth wondered what his place was in this situation.  He hoped his place was very self-explanatory: a new acquaintance invited to a coffee date; not a scapegoat for hatred and jealousy, or a weapon against Matt.

As Maren ventured to the bookshelf, Seth stood by the counter fiddling with his phone.  Matt gave off the vibe of a potential drink-spitter.  Casual observation yielded no evidence of drink-spitting, and Seth was relieved when Matt slid the to-fucking-go cup toward him on the counter and growled, "Iced Americano" before returning to his loitering.

"Ayo, thanks dude," Seth said in a tone of fake camaraderie and picked up the drink, before walking over to Maren.

"You seem to know him..." he said to her in a neutral tone, definitely wanting to know but not wanting to intimidate her or cause conflict.

Maren didnt shift her eyes from the rows of books but her body language changed into something different. She was on guard and her movements became less fluid. She gave a low sigh and Seth could tell that her face had shifted colors to a lighter tone, in ehich case showed she was more or less upset. Maren moved past Seth in a slow sweep, taking her time with her steps over to the counter to take her own drink. She finally looked up at Seth and gave a defeated smile. "I guess this is where the coffee topic happens.." She said in a mono-tone voice with a touch of sadness behind it.

Maren walked over to a love seat that was a nice soft material, none that she could ever name due to it maybe being a mix of something. She set her drink on the side table and took a seat with her feet tucked underneath her. She looked up at Seth with a still pale face and nodded her head for him to sit down next to her.

"Matt was my first interest in highschool. He was sweet and considerate, always walking me to class and leaving these notes in my locker with corny jokes on them." She began in a hushed tone so only Seth could hear her over the music. "He adored me but over time it became.. An obsession for him. He would start showing up at my house if i didnt show to school and he followed me to the movies with my friends to make sure i wasnt going on a date. Finally after i caught him outside my house one night i finally snapped on him. He gave me my space for a while, just enough for me to get involved with a bastard who took the first jump at a hot blonde. Matt found out one night while i was up here crying over some tea. The next day i have cops at my door who want me to come downtown for questions against Matt." She took a pause for a moment, taking a small glance his way, making sure he still had his headphones in and his hay pulled down. "He broke 10 bones in my ex boyfriend's body. Caused internal bleeding and almost a brain hemerage. He went to prison for 5 years for attempted murder." She explained, looking back at Seth and giving a helpless smile. "What a story to tell a stranger that witnessed me almost getting ran over.. And someone who i dont even know their name..." She laughed, trying to break the tension of the explaination.

Seth was in quiet amazement over her story as she explained the past events to him.  Nothing about her story made him feel better about the current situation.  It was unsettling.  If Seth were in Maren's situation, he would go into hiding - possibly move to a different city and reduce his online presence, short of changing his name and moving across the country - not waltz into the maniac's place of work with an uninformed stranger.  He wanted to believe Maren and like her, but right now he was glad she didn't know his name.  The last thing he needed was having Matt's craziness in his life.  It wasn't so much the physical danger, as Seth was tough and well-armed, but the hassle and mental exhaustion of being constantly on-guard, and possibility of having to deal with the legal system.

Turning subtly away from Maren, Seth looked at Matt, who appeared to not be giving any fucks at the current moment.  Yes, that incident happened in high school and people often do uncharacteristic, weird things in high school; but on the other hand, Matt must have just gotten out of jail.  When Seth worked as a bouncer during a year or so in college, he eventually became curious and found that the most egregious troublemakers typically had warrants or a history of criminality: once a criminal, mostly always a criminal.  Attempted murder isn't exactly the same as a fistfight or getting caught smoking weed, however.  There's a possibility that Matt "straightened out" but there was an even higher probability that he picked up more vices and became more antisocial while in jail.

"You need to explain why I'm here," Seth hissed.  There was a part of him that was afraid that somehow, he would answer the door and Matt would be on the other side ready to break his bones, but at the current moment, Seth thought it was best to not show any fear.  He was going to stay exactly where he sat on the other end of the love seat, at least until he received a proper explanation.

She watched his face and saw the frustratiob and anger in exprrssion. She gave another heavy sigh and rubbed her face with her hands before returning her gaze to him.

"I know you probably think im a weirdo who just wants you here for intimidation for him... But i promise that thats not it." She said giving him a pleading look. "I honestly did want to just have a nice date with someone for once." She spoke with a honest and semi hurt tone. She really didnt need anyone to help scare away Matt. She had enough legal representatives behind her to handle it herself.

Seth took another sip of his coffee. It was good coffee but he had to point out: "there are six hundred coffee shops in this area". Maybe not six hundred, but enough that this wasn't the only option. The coffee was pretty good...not that he could tell the difference between different grades of decent coffee, but it wasn't burnt and he had received worse customer service from baristas that weren't liable to kill him. Perhaps Maren had a personal tie to the place and Matthew worked there to get closer to her...but at this point, wouldn't a restraining order be due?

She took in the silence coming from him and gave a defeated breath. "I'm trying to be a civil person with him. He has been out for 6 months and nothing has happened. His Dad is keeping a tight leash on him and the police do tail him sometimes if he doesnt stick to the protocal for parol. I know its strange that I still socialize with him like this but I can't leave this Cafe." She said, gaining a bit of courage and confidence as she watched him listen to her. The wheels were turning in her head and she did understand why he would be so on edge about even being here with her after listening to that appauling story.

"Listen... You don't have to stay here with me if you don't want. I understand." She exclaimed, tilting her head a bit and looking down at the floor. She gave a short breath of laughter and looked at him once more. "My name is Maren. Thank you for checking on me." She said in a final stance for herself.

Seth took a sip of his coffee and his posture became more relaxed.  "I'm sorry," he said with a small wave of one hand, "You're the expert on your own situation.  I was just reacting to what I knew of it.  'Guess you're just a lot more bold when it comes to these kinds of things."  Due to a series of events which occurred in Seth's life, he has developed a controlled sense of paranoia and mistrust; generally, he could tell whom he could trust, but if there was any doubt of a person's reliability or integrity, he kept them well outside the walls of his trust-sphere.  The less they knew about him, the better.  He wanted to trust Maren, and felt she could be trusted, but didn't feel it was the right time or place to give a proper introduction.  He would feel more comfortable when they were at least out of the shop.

She gave a small smile and let out the breath that she was holding in. "I can't run away from my problems especially if they are in my home town and my coffee shop." She explained rather softly. She was playing with the hem of her dress, figiting due to the situation that just happened. "Again, you don't have to stay if you don't want to." She mentioned one more time. The reality of the situation is she did not even know the name of this guy and she was letting him into her deepest thoughts and memories. For some strange reason she wanted to trust this guy, to make something of him.