Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sethmeister007

I bought a car for $500

205 posts in this topic

When Maren put it that way, her approach sounded rather brave and honest.  Seth could stand to take notes.  "I'm gonna finish this first," he said, referring to his coffee, which was halfway finished, "then I'm going for a ride.  You're welcome to come, too."  He watched Maren fidget with her skirt hem for a few seconds, then continued studying the art.  His eyes lingered on one piece that was a nighttime cityscape, painted in deep blues with white and yellow stars throughout.

Finishing his coffee would take him probably another 10 minutes or so, in that time she could gain a bit of information on him. "Well, if I'm going to think about going driving with you than i need to know some things. Like your name." She said softly, watching his gaze on the painting. It had been in the shop as long as she could remember. Her mother might have given it to her uncle when he opened the place around 30 years ago.

Hmm...what's the harm, he thought, taking another sip of coffee.  "My name is Seth," he replied, almost choking on the name and the coffee.  His legal name was Srdja, a Serbian name which was fairly sexy in-theory, but frustrating to use because it would get pronounced Serd-jah, Sreed-jay - pretty much every way except how it's supposed to be - and written phonetically as SerjSerge, or as total illiterates write it, Surge which is a 90's soda, not a name.  People using his name as an invitation to guess his ethnicity got a bit old after a while..."Borat" is apparently an ethnicity, and that is unsettling.  Due to a general lack of geographical knowledge, to be half-Serbian seems exotic, even though the country is quite near to Where (N)-Times-Great-Grandma/pa is From.  Sometimes, someone knows something about Serbian people, but that one thing is invariably "Ohh, you must go to that church with the big gold onions on it!"  Nearly everyone these days knew him as Seth: one-syllable, looks exactly how it sounds, impossible to fuck up, and does not invite further comments or inquiries.

A small nod from Maren as she took a drink of her cold tea. Seth was a nice name, it being one syllable gave her tge thought of how she could say it. She was a person that was interested in words and how many different ways you could say it toconvey emotions. Or how many times before it sounded funny or not like a word. "Okay Seth.. What puts your roots here?" She asked watching his face and taking another sip of her tea which was slwoly becoming watered down due to the ice inside of it melting away.

"I used to live in Detroit but the economy and crime were bad, and I needed a change of scenery," he said and took another sip of coffee, "It's so much better here."  The lack of abandoned buildings and crack houses in this city was like a breath of fresh air, but in some places Seth felt it was too nice.  He needed a bit of urban decay, and "nice" neighborhoods made him feel out of place.  The present neighborhood was a comfortable balance of grit and gentrification.

"Ive always wanted to visit Michigan. Especially the Upper part of it. So many trees and silence..." She said while looking outside the shop at the street and the ever passing cars. This place was nice but all she wanted was a nice place in thr middle of the woods, listening to birds and the wind, knowing nobody saw her fresh out of the shower walking around her kitchen. Where she could dance (horribly) and sing (quite well) her heart out without judgment. Sometimes being in a small town gets to be too much for her. She wanted privacy and her oen life.

"Yea, it's pretty nice up there.  I'm guessing you've lived here for a long time, yes?" he asked her, not wanting to dwell too much on his own life story.  He felt a bit of nostalgia for his childhood in a rural area outside Detroit: playing in the creek and woods, looking at stars...occasionally, he'd thought about moving to the country and having a hobby farm, but while rural isolation can be refreshing, there were more times when it felt suffocating.  Then again, that was in his teen-age years when everything seemed horrible anyway, due to hormones and such.  The body wants to be a horny daredevil, up 'til 4AM sitting around a bonfire, but chores, school and a curfew which dictate otherwise.  Come to think about it, his college years in urban Detroit were pretty horrible and alienating as well.  Actually, things are still horrible, but instead of being a constant level of horrible, the level of horrible-ness in his life now resembles a roller coaster.

"Most of myy life. I left last year for college and this is my first summer back." She said, thinking back to the college she would have to return to in a couple of months. That place was a educational mecha but was also full of parties and drugs of all kinds. She remembers this one time where she was caught in the middle of these two very drunk guys who were harrassing her on her way home from the library. She was lucky a teacher was within ear shot and came to help her. Again, middle of nowhere dancing by herself seemed so much better than going back to school.

That was most colleges: parties and drugs.  "If I had to guess, you look like an English major?" Seth asked, taking a complete stab in the dark at her major; his second guesses would be theatre or art.  Most of the people he knew from his own experience, in those majors, had a similar whimsical feel about them that was difficult to describe.  Many seemed a bit innocent but had a dirty side that was still pretty classy.

She smiled, a true genuine smile that felt nice. "Yes actually. Good guess.." She praised, eyeing him from across the couch. "Poetry mostly but i do study older novels and authors." He was right when it came to innocent yet dirty also. Maren always handled herself with class and dignity but always got her own in the bedroom.

Seth smiled, impressed at himself for guessing accurately.  "Now that you mention poetry, that makes sense," he said, then took a sip of coffee.  On a scale of "Technical Writing" to "Children's Books" poetry was a solid 7 when it came to whimsicality...not ranking higher mostly because of poetry on serious and depressing matters, and the "conceptual" free-verse poetry about suffering and social issues...the kind of poetry that someone would recite while pissing in a can of Spaghetti-o's.  Maren seemed like she liked beautiful things and probably could identify what sets the phrase "cellar door" apart from any other phrase (Seth thought about it and could only could deduce that it had a Cymric sound and he might write it "cwaellrdwr" based purely on personally-held stereotypes or what Welsh looks and sounds like to him with no other knowledge of the language).

"What about you? Any scholastic interests?" Maren asked, mixing her drink with her straw and looking over at him. Her gaze had become more relaxed and in a way more.. focused. She seemed genuinly interested in him and what he had to explain about himself. She had shifted her position so she was actually sitting, her legs crossed and her upper body turned towards him. What a woman Maren was, without even trying she glowed in a way no one could describe.

Seth laughed awkwardly, "Oh jeez.  I was a pharmacy major for two years, then I dropped out, got a CDL and drove trucks for a few years.  Finally, I went back and got an AS in computer science.  Just last year, my father said 'I honestly never thought you'd graduate college'...that baffles me, because he was the one saying 'You're smart, cut hair, be pharmacist, make lot of money'" he recounted, with quotes from his father were inflected with a heavy Eastern European accent.  Seth's major regrets in life centered around how his post-secondary education was approached.

"Wow.. Pretty impressive." Maren said softly, smiling at him from the other side of the couch. "Not a bad accent either." She said, offering a teasing tone in her voice. Maren knew that she was flirting and frankly it felt good because what she seemed to see is that she was making Seth feel awkward which means she is doing her job right.

Laughing sarcastically, Seth said "Impressively bad, maybe.  Money aside, I took seven years to get an Associate's degree and I am not proud of that."  He felt embarrassed and unconsciously self-comforted himself, absently scritching the side of his neck 

"Don't feel so down on yourself.. I'm on year 2 and no where near my goal." She said in a comforting tone. She had originally thought about moving her hand and patting him on the leg to give a bit of comfort but only meeting him today she held back, only after starting her movement that had to have been noticable.

Seth shook his head and replied "I don't think that's something to get upset about.  If it takes..." he paused, thinking of an accurate analogy, before continuing, "like 2 years to build a mansion, that's fine, but it shouldn't take 2 years to...build a gazebo.  With that analogy, I started building a mansion, torched the whole thing and lived in a trailer, then finally built a normal size house; you're just building a house like a normal person."  He tended to get elaborate with his analogies and take them unnecessary places; hopefully Maren found the analogy useful and not overly complicated.  Seth noticed her movement while he was explaining houses and gazebos.  While it revealed nothing on its own, it caused him subconsciously to "open" his body language, removing his hand from his neck and resting his arm over the back of the loveseat while turning toward her ever so slightly as he crossed one ankle over his knee.

She smiled and nodded her head a little, setting her now empty cup on the side table abd turning back towards him. "I'd rather build a cabin..." She said, poking her own views on his analogy. She noticed the comfort returning to his body language and felt a bit better about her little hand movement. "College is a bit scary to me though.. knowing I'm building my life by myself is an odd feeling. I always thought that i would be doing that with someone." She explained with a still faint smile on her face as she watched his face and his reaction to it. She made sure that she snuck in what she could that involves commitment because if they showed discomfort about it than she wouldnt even continue with flirting or trying.

"Potato, po-tah-to" Seth replied with a shrug and tilt of his head, "eh, college is sort of a...suboptimal time to find a partner because there's so much going on and you don't know if you'll both graduate on time.  Then, even if you do, you might have totally different goals.  Jobs are hard to come by and they may require moving to two different areas that aren't conducive to a relationship."  He took another sip of coffee and continued, "I moved here to find a job, and ended up with one where I work from home or coffee shops or whatever."  Seth wasn't afraid of commitment; he was searching for it as well.  He'd eliminated going to bars to find potential mates - they were meat markets and the women who went there understood that and set their expectations accordingly - so he was basically an eccentric shut-in.  At the same time, he knew he had to be 100% honest about everything about himself: mental instability, angst, overthinking, and all .  He knew it would narrow his dating pool but in the end, he only needs to find one person.

"I guess you could say that.. But personally I would like to have someone there. To just sit with while I do homework, make me tea and food." She said, her voice trailing off a bit and her eyes moving away a bit. Maren didn't want to get all sappy with Seth but she couldnt help but drift off into space when it came to relationships. She wanted to give love to someone. When people said that you have to love yourself before you love another, she called bullshit. Because she knows that she will love someone more than anything, enough to forget what hating herself feels like. But that was beside the point because right now she was focused on Seth fir the moment.

Seth took another sip of coffee, "Are you sure you're not just lonely?" he asked.  He'd been there before; wanting companionship and someone's touch while being alone in a new city caused him to do some unorthodox things.  Seth had also thought "love yourself before you love another" was total bullshit until he realized that loving himself was less of a warm-fuzzy feeling and more giving-fewer-fucks..

"Arent most single people lonely?" She said softly with a small look his way. She was lonely, and having that touch would be nice on nights where its hard to breath or hard to fall asleep. She wants someone to look forward to during the day or during a long night. "Wouldn't you like to have someone know whats wrong even before you tell them? Someone to know you?" Maren asks him with a tiny grin.

Seth had a moment of first-hand experience with this and replied, "That's sort of what a friend is for, and having a hobby, and a fuckbuddy who knows their place, that's a short-term fix for being lonely, bored, and horny but not in a situation to commit."

"I don't have many friends... And i do have a hobby. I read... It's just the the other part that is the trouble..." Maren noted, blushing a bit from the comment. She hadnt had sex in quite a while and it was driving her crazy.

"I don't have many friends... And i do have a hobby. I read... It's just the the other part that is the trouble..." Maren noted, blushing a bit from the comment. She hadnt had sex in quite a while and it was driving her crazy.