Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HerculeHastings

Lunar New Year and Eye Infections

8 posts in this topic

Because both happen concurrently.

So happy New Year to the Chinese folk who celebrate it! Lunar New Year started on Monday and will go on for 15 days, but we went back to school and work on Wednesday haha. For those who did celebrate it, did you do anything special? Except Timey being bitten by a chihuahua when he went house visiting. XD

But alas, for the New Year, my body decided to develop a stye in my eye. IT IS SO IRRITATING I WANT TO PULL MY EYEBALL OUT.

1 person likes this

Happy New Year!

I don't know how Chinese New Year works. What type of customs do you do? Please help this ignorant American.

Oh we've LOADS of customs. But the most important one is New Year visiting, where we bring oranges and visit our relatives. The younger generation will hold up 2 oranges to each married relative (yes they have to be married) and wish them good health, prosperity, whatever you want to wish them. And the married person will give them a red packet (which is a Chinese-looking small envelope) with money inside.

And there's also lou hei (which is actually more of a singaporean/Southeast Asian thing) where we take a large platter with many cold ingredients like raw fish (nowadays they're going for abalone slices cuz of some hygiene scare regarding raw fish), crackers, carrot slices etcetera and plum sauce and some other sauces. And everyone gathers around with chopsticks and start grabbing as much as they can and raising those ingredients high up in the air and down again, while yelling out wishes for the new year. So in a way with everyone's effort, the ingredients are mixed together. And then after a few minutes of mixing we grab some and start to eat. It's usually very messy. XD

Taco got bit by a chihuahua?? Why did I not know of this? :o

Is there symbolism in those customs?

Haha it didn't seem to cause any lasting damage. He didn't end up frothing at the mouth or anything. XDD

And hmm well there are! They're usually wordplay though, like the word for oranges sounds kinda like the word for luck. Oh and we aren't supposed to sweep our floor or cut our hair during the New Year cuz we might be sweeping our luck away. Oh and the night before, children are supposed to get a red packet from their parents and put it under their pillows when they sleep, and also stay up to or past midnight. This way their parents will have longevity.