Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AnimeFreak

So What Do You Think Happened?

21 posts in this topic

I was in the middle of rewatching the Bleach arc where all the vaizards and captains gather against Aizen and the Arrancar in Karakura (Spelling is probably off in that sentence but ya' know how it is) and was hit with a pretty heft dose of nostalgia. I remembered a forum I was ALWAYS on, where i started RPing at and yada yada yada blah blah blah. 

I haven't had much luck finding any good, active anime forums or even really anime communities; something I find totally weird because Anime is more popular now in the US and the world than ever before. Obviously if you are on here you know a thing or two about forum based sites and whatnot, so what do you think caused the decline? 

I think it was due in part to facebook, twitter, instagram, and all that crap beating it out. But still it baffles that even with the rise in popularity there isn't that large anime communities that there once was online. Same with RPing too! I remember back in like 2009-2012 RPs on sites like this, or the subsections that almost every anime website has were aflame! Crazy how things change. 

Maybe there are still popular good anime forums and I just haven't found them. What do you guys think? 

The little I have experienced of online anime communities is that it's full of disgusting people. That maybe doesn't represent the community as a whole, but the online community is certainly rife with angry young men with a lot of opinions, have poor understanding of women. 

I find it depressing so I just don't get involved in communities like that. Which is a shame because there's lots of very nice people but they are drowned out by the louder, more obnoxious minority. 

12 hours ago, Kyo said:

The little I have experienced of online anime communities is that it's full of disgusting people. That maybe doesn't represent the community as a whole, but the online community is certainly rife with angry young men with a lot of opinions, have poor understanding of women. 

I find it depressing so I just don't get involved in communities like that. Which is a shame because there's lots of very nice people but they are drowned out by the louder, more obnoxious minority. 

I'm not even going to try and disagree with you here. Haha. A lot of them are indeed like that. I mostly lasted on those sites by just finding a clique of people per say and mostly just associating with them on the forums. 

More than that though, like the internet's awesome sub communities and groups have kind of dried up and now everyone just uses Facebook. Which sucks because i'm not a huge fan of Facebook all in all. I just use it to maintain contact with some old friends and family members.

Reddit communities are still going pretty strong. 

Yah Reddit is definetely booming still. I always do the gift exchanges because they are just a fantastic thing and idea. 

Indeed EVERY anime subreddit seems to be awful. Reddit is strongest because of the specific subreddits you get, so when you get a super broad subreddit (like Anime) it really just becomes a giant confusing mess 90% of the time. It works in some cases, but to really get the most out of reddit anime-wise you really have to visit the individual subreddit for each Anime. Same can be said about any shows really, look at Rick and Morty for example.

But yet that doesn't happen with books, because r/books is fantastic. Weird. 

Oh man i don't get Reddit. It seems so... Messy. But you're right, people don't seem to have the patience for forums anymore! Everything's just social media. Millenials and their short attention span, you know. And wanting everybody in the universe to know about what they think.

Might be something to do with phones too. It's more difficult to type long posts on phones and we tend to only have a few minutes while on public transport or waiting for people so we do things speedily.

That's a good point HH. 

Forums have not transitioned well to phones at all. The interface of this site on the phone is excellent though, or so I've noticed. 

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, AnimeFreak said:

That's a good point HH. 

Forums have not transitioned well to phones at all. The interface of this site on the phone is excellent though, or so I've noticed. 

Curious, but, what do you think a forum style community requires to be more accessible to millennials? Keen to know, I'm doing uni research on this stuff. 

Just now, Kyo said:

Curious, but, what do you think a forum style community requires to be more accessible to millennials? Keen to know, I'm doing uni research on this stuff. 

I've actually been thinking about this recently! So Ima respond :D

App!!!!! I open my phone and go in order, open my FB app and scroll, open my 9gag app and scroll, check my email using my app. But then I get the checking S*T and I have to open my chrome and go to the url. After using nothing but apps, it comes off as a hassle(not one I'm not willing to take, I love this place, lots of love <3)

Also, maybe I just haven't figured it out yet, but when I get on and see someone new has posted(on my phone), I can't click and it take me directly to the newest post. I have to go into the section, find the thing that was posted in, the scroll to the newest response. I dunno if it's fixable but bleh.

I probably have more comments but I'm in class. Shhhh~

All of what Ice said. 

It makes me sound extremelly lazy as well xD weirdly enough Reddit doesn't have an app and its booming. 

I think that is just a misalignment of interest and laziness on the Millenials part. Also like an apathy for human communication (forums tend to require you to communicate to enjoy them). Like if you just made an account on here and clicked around, you wouldn't get the enjoyment of Surreality. Whereas with Facebook I don't think I've posted anything since 2014. Facebook is just now filled with funny videos, memes, and high octane ppolitcal dick measuring contests. 

It's really frustrating tme, forums are just so cool. I think it's alienated though, mostly to anime and roleplay and, not meaning this in a derogatory way, "nerd" forums. 

Car forums still super popular. Like my Subaru outback for example, any issue I have I log onto the subaru outback forum and search through posts, if i can't find one matching what I need I post my problem and in, I shit you not, a day i have at least a page of people trying to give me advice. 

6 hours ago, AnimeFreak said:

Reddit doesn't have an app

BaconReader for Android or Alien Blue for iOS.

Yes but those don't tend to work very well, at least I don't liek them all to much. The mobile website interface for Reddit is pretty solid.

The main thing for millennials now, i think, is to be constantly entertained almost every minute, which is hard unless forums have tons of members. They want to have news, new information, every single time they refresh, like Facebook or Reddit. And forums simply cannot keep up with their demand for instant-speed content.

On 2/27/2016 at 3:03 PM, Ice said:

I've actually been thinking about this recently! So Ima respond :D

App!!!!! I open my phone and go in order, open my FB app and scroll, open my 9gag app and scroll, check my email using my app. But then I get the checking S*T and I have to open my chrome and go to the url. After using nothing but apps, it comes off as a hassle(not one I'm not willing to take, I love this place, lots of love <3)

Also, maybe I just haven't figured it out yet, but when I get on and see someone new has posted(on my phone), I can't click and it take me directly to the newest post. I have to go into the section, find the thing that was posted in, the scroll to the newest response. I dunno if it's fixable but bleh.

I probably have more comments but I'm in class. Shhhh~

Tapatalk is a pretty well used forum app. However I think ack! would probably have to, like, register Surreality on tapatalk, or something. I dunno. 

21 hours ago, AnimeFreak said:

Yes but those don't tend to work very well, at least I don't liek them all to much. The mobile website interface for Reddit is pretty solid.

Alien Blue for iOS is pretty awesome as far as UX/UI is concerned. If you're Android and not a fan of bacon reader there is also Reddit Sync. =)

7 hours ago, HerculeHastings said:

The main thing for millennials now, i think, is to be constantly entertained almost every minute, which is hard unless forums have tons of members. They want to have news, new information, every single time they refresh, like Facebook or Reddit. And forums simply cannot keep up with their demand for instant-speed content.

This is a pretty valid point that I just can't argue with. Perhaps the solution is social media integration. I get that for general info/new and updates the social media outlets are better. But if you want to write long passages collaboratively, this is still the best platform in my opinion. People rp on Tumblr but it looks a little clumsy to me, at a glance. 

2 hours ago, Kyo said:

People rp on Tumblr but it looks a little clumsy to me, at a glance. 

Tumblr is a pretty neat site, but for some reason it's regarded as a guilty pleasure and I cannot for the life of me figure out why. I mean, sure, there's some weird stuff on their but no weirder than reddit. 

2 minutes ago, AnimeFreak said:

Tumblr is a pretty neat site, but for some reason it's regarded as a guilty pleasure and I cannot for the life of me figure out why. I mean, sure, there's some weird stuff on their but no weirder than reddit. 

I don't have an issue with tumblr. However I don't really blog so it's never been a good fit for me. 

Reading through these, Kyo, I really have to agree with you on the fact that it was full of young men with a poor understanding of women, but I feel like anime does a HORRENDOUS job in representing a female character. Most of the popular anime really only have strong male leads and the women are extremely sexualized (I don't know if that's a word but hopefully you catch my drift). Normally I stray pretty far away from the anime with ecci themes and whatnot. 

Hell, at one time I was probably one of those young men, though, thinking back on it. Grant it when i was more actively on those forums I was probably 14, 15, 16, or 17. 

Those kinds of things are to be expected. A lot of media was that way in the past, even in the west, and still is to some degree or another. I suppose Japan is a little behind in that regard. Equally the writing is no doubt perpetuated by the audience they have, and there's a lot of wish fulfillment and fantasy in female characters that are no doubt quite appealing to young heterosexual boys. 

Also not all Japanese are very proud of their anime. I've met a few Japanese people who went to my university as a sort of cultural immersion trip, and honestly most of them know next to nothing about anime.

That, and anime are usually aired in midnight timeslots. So i'd say anime isn't entirely representative of the country's entertainment consumption preferences.

It's not any different than how not all westerners read Marvel and DC comics. Some people might be interested to know that there are other things to do in Japan besides fantasize about 2D Waifus and debate which Bankai is the best.