Pain

Pain's Arty Farty Thread

83 posts in this topic

This is just a thread for me to shove some of my art, and possibly tattoos, for anyone to have a look/comment if they feel so inclined. 

:D

My usual medium is pencil, sketching and colour, but I have used other supplies over the years, including pastels, charcoal and paint {mostly acrylic}. However, my drawings these days are either drawn specifically for a customer, or a potential tattoo that I'm hoping people will like enough to want, so pencils work best.

I make no promises about how often I'll update this, as I am terrible for remembering to upload pictures, or even taking them to begin with, but I am on Instagram if anyone is interested. It's pretty much the first place I post new work, besides facebook. My username is laurabtattoos.

Anyway, onto the art! Nine times out of ten I start with a rough, and I sometimes take pictures of those, simply so I have progress shots. Also, they're the first picture customers see, so we can talk about if we're both on the same page or not. They go a little something like this...

Rough:

20130215_154124_zpse564c90f.jpg

Drawn up black and grey version:

20130311_154007_zpsf980635b.jpg

Drawn up colour version:

20130319_153913_zps730abe6e.jpg

I don't always draw up a colour and shaded version, I just happened to this time. 

I'm actually on a little bit of a My Little Pony kick right now. But, I don't draw them like the conventional ones, I choose a theme and kinda create my own lol. My favourite so far is my Predator Pony.

Drawn up:

20130717_144223_zps3d1b6cb1.jpg

I've actually tattooed it on someone ^^

He's back in this week actually, which is cool, because I'd like to get a picture of it all healed up.

I'm also doing an Alien pony on him too.

20130809_131247_zps415c0581.jpg

I've also done Frankenstein

frankenstein_zps98fa811a.png

Queen of Hearts

queenofhearts_zpsd6847001.png

Terminator

terminator_zpsf2017a2d.png

Annnnd a zombie lol

zombie_zps8c02fbfd.png

I lovelovelove doing these. Drawing them and tattooing them, so if you're ever in the area and want one, just stop by.

;)

I draw other stuff, of course. Not all our customers are interested in ponys, even if I do think they're really cool, but I'll upload them some other time. For now, I'll leave you with this mural I painted on our reception wall.

IMG00117-20120622-2206_zpsad700436.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

2 people like this

Hahah, I love the ponies. I'd love to see the end result tattoos too! Your coloring is very bold and bright--me likes a lot.

Keep 'em coming! :D

I dun like ponies! But those are pretty darn cool, for ponies! 

You're awesome! Show us more! 

oh wow the lion king mural <3 so nice. Also the ponies are so awesome. 

Thanks! We get a lot of comments about the mural. I knew as soon as we got the place that I wanted to paint it on that wall.

Nicely done D:

Thank you! Why the distressed face? lol

Hahah, I love the ponies. I'd love to see the end result tattoos too! Your coloring is very bold and bright--me likes a lot.

Keep 'em coming! :D

Thank you Ackface, you always say the sweetest things<3

I had a new idea the other day - pikachu pony

:P

I dun like ponies! But those are pretty darn cool, for ponies! 

You're awesome! Show us more! 

Thank you!

You guys are so kind.

I have uploaded a few more, shock horror.

I have this sketch, which I've tattooed as well.

20130507_135351_zpse3641d4d-1_zps1f2dbc9

This was my first tattoo on a paying customer. I'd only been tattooing for 18 months {I've been tattooing for 3 years now}, when my first proper customer chose it, and I actually had the day off at the time. When I came back into the studio, and my mentor told me I had to tattoo it, I shit myself. Words cannot describe how terrified I was {it's also a coverup, which makes it even worse}. My mentor had far more faith in me than I had in myself, it was make or break time, and I had to pretend to be absolutely confident when the time came, for the sake of the customer, when really I was a nervous wreck.

However, it turned out alright lol

graham_zps001fb7e2.png

Not the greatest picture, I'm afraid. Also, it was done over quite a few sessions, and this is where we are now. I've still got to finish off his sides, so we can get the sky and water in.

vamp_zpsdd65ce91.png

This picture was taken when the tattoo was fresh, so it's red and a slightly bloody, but you get the gist. I did this about a year ago now.

I'll try to get into a habit of posting in here.

Current project

20130926_204837_zps38cf4366.jpg

really not the best picture, sorry.

this little bastard has been a complete pain in the arse, but i've finally got some decent lines down. now for the hours of adding shading and depth

1 person likes this

Forgot to reply to this, thanks Lady Riddel!

Dragon update

20131002_182158_zps41cd9a72.jpg

slow progress, but it's getting there

i've been so frickin' busy though, i haven't had much time to work on it

I hope that's going to be one of those dragons that just has a little dot in the middle of each eye to represent the pupil - cus those look angry as shit, lol. They're the best kind of drawn dragons, I think.

That is beeeast! Do want!

Thank yooou!

Adam, the eyes are staying blank lol

Ok pain, the slow internet here is only allowing me to see the top 5% of your picture, but it still looks nice! xD

Why are oriental dragons always clutching balls? What's with that?

Thanks dragonguard!

Martin, they don't always have them, but it is very common. They're fire balls. The clear sort of wavy strips coming from it are flames.

Ok I see the full thing now, that shading is totally awesome!

I wanna steal your skills.....

I had SO much fun today messing around with charcoal. I'd forgotten how much I love experimenting and using new mediums. Although charcoal isn't actually new to me, I haven't used it in years, probably since school.

I got a little more done on my dragon. I know, I know, it doesn't look that great right now, but I'm hoping once I fully get the hang of charcoal, I'll go back and tidy everything up. Also, yes, it has taken me this long lol sloooow progress, but I've had other stuff to do. Stupid customers, wanting tattoos.

20131022_174932_zps14b25caa.jpg

also, fyi, the cloud work is in charcoal, the rest is all pencil. also i do go over some of the areas i want darker with my trusty 6B

2 people like this

I had SO much fun today messing around with charcoal. I'd forgotten how much I love experimenting and using new mediums

The plural to medium is media. Unless you're referring to people who channel spirits. Highly irrelevant but it's a pet peeve. 

On a much more important note, that dragon is more beast than it was the last time I said it was beast. BEEEEEAST!

1 person likes this

Lol, what are you going to say when it's actually finished then?

xD

Thanks.

It's ALMOST done. I could spend forever touching up this thing, but it's almost there.

20131028_163743_zps09304d72.jpg

Annnd done! A couple of people are interested already, which is awesome, as I'd LOVE to tattoo it.

1385592_557729547648398_58552021_n.jpg

That red really makes it pop! Great job, sweetness!

This is really good stuff Pain.

You should ink me some time, for real.

Get in line!

Get in line!

MJ, you are outta line. Literally. Get out. Martin... i'll allow it (cus he gives me tips (pro tips) and junk (and sweeties)).