AnimeFreak

Any takes on an urban fantasy style RP?

16 posts in this topic

Alright so I've got this idea in my head for a Role Play lately that I've been tinkering with...

I've created and used in past RPs. It's a universe set roughly twenty to thirty years past present day. Technology as a whole has advanced however society has virtually crawled to a standstill. The reason for this is that supernatural creatures have crawled out of the wood works--vampires, witches, werewolves. You get the picture. Human kind has accepted them with much strife--think of race riots during the civil rights era, only the rioters have magical powers.

Now, as for us and where this RP will be taking place....

We'll be on an artificially created island the size of a small country--it was created by a host of different organizations to provide a sort of safe haven for the supernatural. The island, called Nirvana, has essentially become a slum. Not just the supernatural have gone--most didn't actually, they chose to remain where they were at before--people even went to Nirvana as well. The island's population became massive in scope, so much so that it is essentially it's own country. The large, man-made island has a population of well over a million--actual estimates are unknown. The masses flocked there for a multitude of reasons; be it to escape persecution, have a fresh start, or even to escape from somewhere that they had a bounty on there head.

Perhaps the intentions for most were good, however, as history teaches, the actions of the bad often outweigh the actions of the good. 

A horrendous black market suddenly appeared, underground gladiator battles against strange creatures, corrupt gangs and devilish cults, sex slavery, drug trafficking--all these atrocities now plague the island and few are willing to stand up to it. Nirvana has essentially become a massive slum. And it is on this depraved island where our adventure begins...

---Alright so I hope that some of you found that at least a tad bit entertaining, it may sound half ass'd or weird, but I promise that I've put a tremendous amount of thought and effort into this--Hell I've tried writing a novel set in this universe a few times. Once I get a feeling for whose all interested I'll make the official OOC discussion and we can get into a little more detail. As of right now though, I'll answer a few of the questions that I think you guys may have.

What type of character am I allowed to play? What type of abilities am I allowed to have?

--Literally whatever you want. If you want to be an elf? cool do it, we can make up something like "elves tended to hid in secrecy deep within the rain forests of South America, hidden from society". Seriously this is a fantasy style RP so we can get just about as crazy as we want as long as we give it a cool/logical/reasonable/arguable explanation. I will not limit someones creativity, ever. As for abilities, just about anything goes as long as you can give it a cool back story and it's original. You're a vampire? Sweet, but what can your vampire do that another can't? I love the idea of having different "strains" of vampires running around. Maybe yours as the ability to turn into something ferocious when evoked, or maybe mine can have some type of hallucinogenic drug contained within his blood that causes the victim to lose their shit? I don't care, so long as you make it unique and fun to read. 

What type of plot will this follow? 

--We will be assuming the rolls of a variation of things, brought together by a tragedy--our unbreakable bonds melded by heartache and disaster. (That's all I'll get into right now, but I promise you that when this RP starts off you'll understand just why I said that. I don't want to give away my first big plot twist. I'll say this though, we'll all be fighting on the "good" side, if there is one in this battle.) I EXPECT you all to make characters who have a morality, your characters will weigh out the decisions and consequences of there actions. An example would be Witch Hunter Susie thinking to herself, Can I really kill this man? He may be War Lord of this town, he may have killed and raped countless without so much as a second thought, but he maintains control. Isn't true that sometimes the devil we know is better than the devil we don't?

I guess that overall what I'm trying to get at is that I want your characters to be original and unique, I don't want to see a werewolf that transforms into a monstrosity with an unquenchable thirst for blood--I"m pretty sure we've all seen enough of that. Every RP I do is different from any other fantasy RP because I don't like to stick to the "cookie cutter" species and abilities. I challenge anyone who wishes to partake in this to think outside the box--I know I will. For example, I encourage you to give your character their own side plot along with our main plot.

Think about it, it will give you more to write about, make your character a hundred times more interesting to read about, and maybe it'll give your character a reason to live at times when they don't have one or feel like they can't go on. Another thing I greatly encourage is for you to create your own species or take an unusual spin on something that's done a lot. I'm not trying to say don't be a mage who casts fire, but cast your fire differently, do something different with it. What should you do with it? I don't know, that's for you to decide. 

If you have any questions please ask them, I'm really looking for about two people. 

Sounds interesting and full of possibility.

I have a character I'd like to submit to this idea. She could be labeled as anything really. Demon, witch, ghost etc. The Lady of Tartimos or Lady of Tar, is a servant to her Lord Tartimos. He is a demon that she harvests souls for to keep him alive and strong. (Should my brief info sound alright I'll drag up her profile that I think I have/made?) Her 'element' is wielding an ancient wooden looking bucket with tar inside. She manipulates the tar into clothing or weaponry as needed. The Lady of Tar is as strong as her lord is, given he's fed enough souls to give her the strength to hunt for his and her own power/survival ect. The pair generally reside in a swampy environment. Somewhere dank and discomforting, or even a dark and nearly uninhabited forest. Their location can be anywhere it needs to be, I can make it fit regardless. Either way, where they live they are near humanity so that Tartmos's lady can hunt for them/him.

Yah i have no problem letting students get involved :P And Neferteri your character actually sounds really cool. 

I don't want you guys to post character sheets, keep me surprised and let me read more about your characters. I just need you guys to bare in mind that in your opening posts your characters need to have "lives" so to speak. They can have sketchy pasts or have hardly anybody in their life, but in your opening post I'm going to need you guys to dedicate a lot of thought and emotion into developing your character's relationship to those that they love (be it family or a significant other). 

Id like to have us start in a sort of refugee village--I guess that's a good way of putting it. We'll be a new age group of sorts--witches, humans, vampires, werewolves, elves, all living together and forming a functioning society. Your characters reasons for being there could be whatever, but we just need to start there and have some sort of tie there (be it a close family member, you and your loved one are passing through and need a place to stay, et cetera.) Do you think the character you'd like to use would work in that setting, Neferteri? 

What do you guys think of that? 

So you say it's urban themed with fantasy involved? Then i could use the vampire i couldnt use on Darkthingie~ x3

I realize I'm quite ultra late in even posting up on here. Glad you like my character. When did you see your RP starting and with how many players? I've been working 40hrs or more at work an then I've been dividing my free time between shizz I gotta do, planning my pokemon x an y party and recouping. Which is why I'm so late even replying here lol. It isn't that I'm not interested in the idea or anything. I'd really like to be in the rp an whatnot. Just trying to grasp a 'start' time so I'm not MIA on ya.

--BUMP--

Wondering if there would be anyone else interested in joining this? I would still like to get it going if I have any takers (: 

Is this the idea you messaged me about? If so, I'd be interested as long as there's a group of us (as opposed to 1x1), since it sounds more fun in a group.

With your return AF, you can definately count me in on this one; anything with you running it is pretty much guaranteed to be brilliant.

Hazaa! Glad to see you're in buddy! As I said previously (I think) I don't really want/like the idea of character sheets. I'd rather us surprise/be surprised by our characters in the actual RP. So hush hush about everything it'll all be a fun surprise! Just remember to, in your opening posts. Remember that we'll all be starting in the same area, and make sure that you include details about your characters personal relationships (a family, sibling, spouse, parents, best-friend, you get the picture). 

Sounds fun. I've even got a pretty interesting idea for a character that I'm pretty sure I haven't used before, which is always good news for me. Also, as I'm sure you know, I'm a big fan of plot twists and surprises so I'm down with that aspect!

This has gotten my interest.  I'm all for this if there's still room for another!  *crosses fingers*  Please let there be room for another, please let there be room!

Lightgrave, I'm sure there is room enough for you to join in but that probably depends on whether AnimeFreak is still available to run it I suspect. Nice to see you're intrested though!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead