Nikkia

Site Suggestions!

166 posts in this topic

Is Surreality missing something it once had previously? Or maybe you'd like a completely new feature, used on other forums? Feel free to list any and all suggestions you have that could improve your experience here at Surreality. These suggestions can range from technical forum-usage things, to content things, events, you name it!

One of the things I notice is then when you are a student, as I am, you can only see the student RP section, however, if I log out and am a guest, I suddenly see the other RPs too.

Can you make it so that a student can view the 'graduated' RPs but not post anything? That way students can also learn from the graduated RPs.

1 person likes this

One of the things I notice is then when you are a student, as I am, you can only see the student RP section, however, if I log out and am a guest, I suddenly see the other RPs too.

Can you make it so that a student can view the 'graduated' RPs but not post anything? That way students can also learn from the graduated RPs.

It's a good idea that I can see no issue with, so I will make the change.

Yeah sorry. That was a mess-up on my part. Students were supposed to see those forums. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

So apparently the chat can only have 5 people in it at a time (and more people is pay-only)?

Is there any way to integrate a third-party shoutbox into the forum or something? Or would that potentially steal activity away from the actual OOC forums?

Is there any way to integrate a third-party shoutbox into the forum or something? Or would that potentially steal activity away from the actual OOC forums?

I don't know if there's a way to integrate other chat options, we've talked about it, and it might somewhat reduce the frequency of posting in the OOC area. We'll no doubt continue to talk about it and see what other options might be available to us. Thanks for bringing it up though Tsai Kou.

Nef used attachments in a thread of hers, and when trying to open them I get the message I don't have the permissions to do so. I'm wondering if the settings for attachments need adjusting, it seems like something that'd have been easy to overlook.

It costs extra to buy more seats for the chat. I am willing to pay this fee if the chat if popular enough. But obviously I don't want to spend the money on something if it won't be used. I don't really want to go with something that's third party because if it already comes packaged with the site, it makes it easier and safer to update, manage, etc. Maybe in a month or so we'll run a poll and see how many people are actually interested in it and see where we go from there.

And good point, DD. When I setup the forums I obviously missed some thing. I really need to cart off to bed now. If one of the other dudes hits it before I do tomorrow, great. If not, I'll do it tomorrow. :)

This has been fixed! Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

1 person likes this

Agenda date and times!

I just saw the upcoming event of the pokemon theme contest in the site agenda to the right of the main screen.

Here it said the event would happen on 10/01/2013, this is of course the American date format of MM/dd/YYYY, could this be changed to the European dd/MM/YYYY (so 01/10/2013)? Or perhaps dd/MMM/2013 (01 oct 2013)

I think there are more European than American people on this forum, so it somewhat makes sense.

One of those small things that just irks me that little bit

As Ack has said mate, i'm afraid not. Speaking as someone from the UK myself, I do understand. But its a trivial thing that I just don't think is accounted for. There is a single date/time for the whole site. But it's easy to work out your time in comparison to the time given in the states.

Guess it is a bit small, but I just checked around the site, and the date stamp is just all over the place...

Sometimes the month is written out fully, other times it's like sep, sometimes it's day month year, other times it's month day year, once year was even just 13 instead of 2013...

Guess it's one of those theme/IP.board things which you guys can't really fix...

Just thought it was... strange...

STdatetime.png

I can look and see if there's a setting, but that will largely be a template change. And I don't really think it will be worth the time to go through all the files (omg there's so many) just to make them consistent... Though I do see where you're coming from on that front.

In our world of modern technology it would be quite challenging to confuse the date and time (and I believe surreality shows times based on your selected timezone anyway)

If for any reason it does seem to catch people off guard there are plenty of other ways to right themselves. All major events and contests are put up clearly on the forum as well as Facebook, twitter and tumblr.

While you could argue you prefer the setting of dd/mm/yyyy (as do I) you have to consider that your US fellows prefer it their way. The date is shown in multiple ways in various areas as you have highlighted. Its safe to say we are unlikely to face confusion due to this.

Thanks for making a suggestion all the same. While we might not always use your suggestions we do value you guys highlighting issues you have.

I think it's a bit jarring to see the formats all inconsistent like that, all at once... but yeah, it's likely something difficult to fix. 

Yeah I must admit it wasn't troubling at all until I actually placed them next to each other.

But it was just a little thing which, if easy to fix would be nice, but please, PLEASE don't spend any serious time on this, it's not worth it.

Unless I'm blind, I've yet to find the Idea Orphanage.

It was a thread we used back on S*T where we housed tidbit plot ideas for anyone to come in and use. I always liked reading those, and I felt that it was a good idea to at least jump start the creative juices and what not.

But yeah, I didn't go ahead and create the thread because I thought maybe it was an idea the Admins wanted to abandon.

Pm coming your way mystic.

I like the idea. We dont want to abandon it we just havent thought of it so good catch. If you want to create it go ahead and ill pin it. Otherwise ill create it when I get home in a few hours.

It's a great idea Mystic, and we always discuss the ideas that are presented to us, but you have to bear in mind that we might not immediately respond. It had only been a day. But your idea was great, and as Blackfrost has said, you can put the topic up yourself if you like, and it will get pinned.

Thank you, Mystic. We appreciate it.

Also, I'm going to compile a list of things I will need to look into during the month of October that will include some of the more techy side of things that have been mentioned. I figure we're so close to the end of the month, I can slack a little bit more.

So. Totally Awesome Donators.

Now that I actually have a ton of money to give away (read: a small amount of money to give away), it seems as if I cannot.

I was never a TAD in the past, but that shiny, colored text on my name is worth it.

Do we still need donations? I think ack will have to answer this one.