Nikkia

Site Suggestions!

166 posts in this topic

Hi, so I had this idea to make a DnD based rp game somewhere on the site. Thought it could be a lot of fun. Asura, Seanzilla, and Blackfrost all seemed interested via pm soooooo what y'all think?

After discussion with a few members I think this could potentially warrant its on section on the forum. If people are interested and motivated enough to Roleplay in a DnD based set up then I think we should cater to it. I'd like to have the staff have a little discussion about this and see what we can do. If/when we get something going I'm happy to try to organise it on top of my other duties.

Keep your eyes peeled until then!

1 person likes this

As promised, the way I'd see this work:

- A discussion topic would be used for Character Sheets, general NPC/world info, quest info, etc.
- Post order during combat would be determined by a character's Initiative.
- Dice rolls would have to be done with on a different site, of course people could cheat but let's assume everyone plays fair. These dice rolls would determine what action your characters take and then a short RP post would describe what happens.

- Dungeon Master's posts would mostly advance the story or control NPCs. Player posts would be about their actions.

- During non-combat section there would be no post order and every Player would be free to do as they wish.

- During combat sections post orders would be determined through initiative.

I don't think we'd actually need any special tools to make this work.

5 people like this

I'd be interested in a DnD set-up in Surreality!

1 person likes this

That would be great! o:

But would the results of the roll be known before the post is actually made? 

I guess we could do the rolls in the Discussion thread and then RP the actions in the normal thread. That would solve that problem.

Or have the rolls be in OOC, in the thread. 

Either way, i'm in support of this. We could create a whole new forum for various DnD style games. As described. So that anyone who wished to start one, could, but would have to obey a certain amount of rules of the 'game' so that it remained in keeping with the style of writing/game compared to the regular writing of the rest of the board. That way, anyone can start their own story/game board, and be a game master, but would still need to obey the rules of the forum, eg. using dice, having a game master, etc.

This sounds really freaking interesting you guys!

Although I have no idea how DnD works or what the rules are, but I'm sure we can figure that out.

Let's do this! :D

I only ever played one game of DnD with a bunch of mates, and I hardly understood a thing that was going on.

It seemed very complex, at first. I remember very little of it, except that it was basically -

download_zpsc0260248.gif

1 person likes this

Thing is, you need to know the results of the roll before you

Can write the posts. Rolls determine whether your attack hits or misses, whether you manage to spot a secret door or not, whether you're able to negotiate with or threaten an NPC etc. And one of the features of the dice thing ack linked to is that posts become uneditablemonce they've been posted, but as far as I know you won't know the results of your roll until you post.

Also DnD is preeeeeeeetty complex, but I have a pretty decent grasp on DnD4 and could easily guide any newbie who'd like to join through it.

:D Teach us oh great master Sean!

(make a 'DnD 4 lesson 101' thread?)

I don't mind making a basic tutorial + questions thread once the DnD forum gets here.

Hey so you'll soon see HH around the forums again, but there was a problem with her registering. Her IP was "a known spammer" and so she couldn't register. I registered her account for her instead, but she's gone off for now so we'll see if she can actually log in to it.

But yeah if that's happened for her, with her dynamic IP, then its likely other random people with dynamic IPs may encounter similar trouble registering, without the convenience of having someone here already to bring up the issue for them.

Couldn't we just have a recaptcha upon registering? That should take care of bots.

All valid points or good suggestions, we'll get to talking about what we can do about it.

With how many spam accounts that have been blocked with the current plugin we're using, I don't want to switch it over to a RECAPTCHA plugin. What I can do is make a more visible message somewhere on the site where if people are having trouble creating an account, they contact an administrator. In the long run, this will keep the site cleaner and safer.

1 person likes this

Something like a 'if you have trouble registering, please send a message to "Ackthemasterofalltheuniverseandgodofthesurreality@surreality-rpthebestsiteonalloftheuniverseforallyourrpandotherneedsnohomo.com" and we'll get back to you'?

That could work.

1 person likes this

It totally is! It forwards to another one of my addresses. :)