Nikkia

Site Suggestions!

166 posts in this topic

If I sound condescending to you, I'm sorry for that Bleck. Perhaps that's something you need to work out within yourself.

I'm just here giving my 2 cents to the brass. I fail to see how and where your comment fits into this discussion, other than firing some rubber bullets in my general direction.

If you'd like to PM me what's really on your mind, that's fine. I look forward to hear from you, although... somehow I doubt that'll happen. ;)

Look, I'm just replying to YOUR (the staff's) continuing comments on the subject. It's my personal opinion that this system is foley. If this bothers you, stop talking about it and I will too... I mean wtf in goin' around here lately?

Nothing. Only you seem to have that impression.

All right. I'm putting an end to this dicussion before it gets out of hand. If you wish to discuss it furthur then... Well... No. Don't. Just stop.

The system isn't changing. We have removed it temporarily at times and have lessended/increased the standards and requirements at times. But here's the point: this system has been around for pretty much as long as S*T has been around--since 2003--and it's one of the few things that really sets us apart from other role playing forums. We have changed the system to change and adapt to the times of the forum's life, and as it stands now, it is good for what we have. We will be hiring more scholars to increase activity in the Student forums and hopefully promote the desire to graduate... But it's not at all necessary. BACK IN THE DAY, if you were a student, you couldn't even access the normal OOC forums! We changed that a few years ago, because we all agreed that that kind of segragation was bad for the health of the forum--although it did give more of an insentive to graduate. We took what we wanted more, which was happy and active members, in exchange for the restrictions.

I hate to throw our seniority out as a counter argument, and I'm not saying we haven't had our own share of rocky times (these past couple of years of most of the core staff getting used to "adult life" has been a struggle)... But we have survived. We have a following of 60~ members that will follow us always. If you would like to say that our experience and success is all because we are doing it wrong, then... Well I don't know what to say to that.

Anyway, again, this discussion is ending. Please continue on with making other suggetions. The student/graduate system will not be dismantled, just adjusted, as we see fit for the current state of the forum's activity.

Thanks.

1 person likes this

I HAVE A SUGGESTION!!!

HH and I thought it would be cool to bring back the old HTV tradition of having a Cross-Gender Month once per year, but this time as a monthly theme for December. Basically, not only do you have to change your avatar/sig set-up to a character of the opposite gender, you will also have to change your profile gender and act as your newfound gender for the whole of the month.

Who would be interested in something like this?

I would totally do this. I already do this all the time on MMOs.

(No I don't.)

(Really.)

Bonus points if you change your display name to suit your new gender.

(Also high five Sanzi)

(I mean *secret high five*)

I am all for this idea. If you wish to gender swap your name you'll have to ask nikkia and ack nicely as they hold the keys to the admin cp so theyd have to do the work.

Im not entirely sure if we can do a genderswap month in december because we'll probably have other stuff on. I can safely say this is doable just probably not in december. Ill discuss it with the staff and we will slot it into the calender somewhere.

Just a note, everybody has the rights to change their own username. :)

Just a note, everybody has the rights to change their own username. :)

Sweeeet. Makes life easier!

Yup yup, it's in your profile! You can Edit Profile, then there's a thing for Display Name, and you can only change it thrice in 1 session or something. But display name's quite separate from username so you can still login with the same name and all. I believe that was how Miel changed her name?

Probably, HH. At any rate I will take any excuse to grow boobs for a month so lets do this!

As for that above suggestion, entirely not interested. Anyone who knows me probably can figure out why.

Anyway, this is less of a suggestion and more of a question: is there any way to hide certain forums I don't really care to look at? They're just taking up space for me.

Like this?

EDIT: Oh right, you can't see the mouse. On the right side of the green bar there's a minus sign that appears when you hover over it.

Just looking to hide forums, not entire categories. :\

Hmm, then I don't think that's possible at the moment. Maybe ack! can implement something when she gets back.

I use the mobile version of the site a lot, and I always have trouble with quick-replies. When I tap the text box to start typing, most of the page goes blank and I have to refresh the page and tap on "reply" instead, to a new page where I can't simultaneously view the posts before mine. Not sure if this is something easily changed, but I thought I'd mention it.

Also, it'd be pretty convenient if the mobile version had the same feature where you can see who's viewing a thread/who's online, if that's possible. o:

Have you tried refreshing the page when it goes blank?

I use the full version on my mobile, but when I go to the site and it starts in mobile version, the bottom section of the board is always missing, including the "full version" button. It only appears after I've refreshed the page once, every time.

I honestly don't like the mobile version at all. There's a lot of information that's stripped that I find valuable. Although I understand the reasoning, I don't really like it either. I don't really feel comfortable testing or trying to fix a theme I don't like, but I can certainly look into a mobile theme alternative.

(Oh, forgot to mention the latest posts feature, that would also be cool to be able to view somewhere on mobile. I basically switch between the site versions constantly so I can either view certain things or make a post.)

Yeah, I always have to refresh the page, but it doesn't stop the issue when I try tapping the box again afterward. :c

And posting anything on the full version of the site from my phone is virtually impossible for me. Whenever I want to go back and change something I've typed, my little typing cursor that I can drag around jumps around EVERYWHERE in my post, sporadically, and I can't make it land where I want it to at all, even if I just tap somewhere in the text rather than dragging it. Idk if that makes sense but it's a pain in the ass.

EDIT:

Thanks, ack. Whatever's convenient for you and the site, just thought I'd point this stuff out. c:

This is like a personal pet peeve of a detail already implemented. Currently, if I want to search for a previous post of my own I have to go to my topics and scroll through the posts, the biggest issue I have with this is some of my posts are REALLY long and it can take a looong time to scroll through all of this. Obviously with only 40 some posts it's not too much of a problem, but for instance, I was in the archives looking for a previous roleplay where I had over 1000 posts and trying to find the right one was a serious headache. I'd like to see just the thread title and like maybe a drop down to show the post, or even if it just loaded the actual post in a new tab. It would be even cooler if it showed each topic only once and upon selecting that it would show me all my posts in that specific topic. 

As far as the archives, I believe you can go to to the search function and enter your own name as post author, and I recall there's an option for whether results are displayed as thread titles, or the first x amount of words, or full posts, so maybe that could help.

As far as the archives, I believe you can go to to the search function and enter your own name as post author, and I recall there's an option for whether results are displayed as thread titles, or the first x amount of words, or full posts, so maybe that could help.

Oh, it didn't matter, I had already found what I had needed, it was just the point of it. Thank you though, I hadn't been aware I could do that, at least in the archives, is there anything like that here?