Nikkia

Site Suggestions!

166 posts in this topic

Ruining everything for everyone else and taking credit for it.

SASUGA TIMEY

I'm not sure if it's just me, but the Surreality chatroom has been giving me error messages that the IP limit has been reached even though there's nobody inside. Is this a glitch on the server side?

ALDLFLDK.. I wanna help with suggestions since the other forum I used and still do sometimes.. was actually pretty cool, but the thing about the forum was there would be at least three to four new people joining daily and of course, old users creating new accounts for personal reasons.

I think it differs too much from this forum though, but you guys could check it out if you wanted to~

It's called: roleplayrepublic.com

It's a very new forum, probably max two and a half years old. I joined it when it first arrived. I used to roleplay on another fanfic site before that one.

Another thing:

I used to roleplay for some time on livejournal and I've noticed its quite similar to this place. Something does bother me about the way some of the roleplay posting is here though, while at the same time it makes sense just the way It is. For example, when a roleplay is started, a second person posts and then a third jumps in and sometimes it's so tedious to work with since you need to read through a million different posts before posting your own. This is mostly for open roleplays of course. In live journal, you could post to individual threads and several people, If they wanted could join that specific thread they pertained too. I feel like it would make it much easier and less confusing this way, but at the same time I don't know what kind of scripting/coding you use. It's a suggestion though :)

I'm not sure if it's just me, but the Surreality chatroom has been giving me error messages that the IP limit has been reached even though there's nobody inside. Is this a glitch on the server side?

Yes, that's been happening to me as well.

Thanks for your suggestions, Mikatao! I think I misunderstand how you're describing the structure of livejournal-style roleplays. Here on Surreality, each thread is one story, and each poster is a character within that story. Do you mean it becomes complicated to respond to an individual post? Like poster 1 posts, then 2, then 3, then you and you want to respond to poster 1, but since 2 & 3 posted, the interactions don't line up chronologically? That's how I understand it, I think? If that's what you meant, sometimes writers will create skype chats or correspond via PM (it is possible to add multiple people to PMs as well!) to compile dialogue or other actions requiring both characters in one post, in effort to prevent god-moding. However if I have it all wrong, please let me know! I might just be unusually dense today haha. :) 

1 person likes this

Yes! You've got it. I understand with the skype chats and such, but isn't that just for discussion. I know various roleplays are able to create roleplay discussions in the discussion thread, but I was talking about the actual roleplay page/thread.

Let me explain the live journal set up. Although I haven't roleplayed there long enough to know how it worked to its full effect, but when someone started a roleplay, it would be a single thread such as it is here. The first person who posts their /intro/ is essentially the host and in turn, whoever finds interest in the /intro/ will post to their response. Which is the same as the roleplays on here. What is different is that while poster two and one are roleplaying, they get notified only to one another that someone posted and if a third poster and fourth wanted to join the two, they would just be posting to the first posters /intro/ thread. Now, let's say another two people, the fifth and sixth role players are not wanting to meddle with the first batch of posters and their replies, but at the same time they want to join the first poster and his /intro/. So they just reply to the poster and start their own thing which separates it from the other batch of role players. This actually isn't such a big issue if anything it's just a nice little add on if it's at all possible. For now I suppose, if it doesn't bother people, quoting and posting replies underneath could also work.

The other forum (roleplay republic) on the other hand is a creature of its own. It's got all kinds of properties similar to this one, but it's just way too different. Plus, it's profile editing and such doesn't use BBC coding, it uses HTML or HTML4 or HTML5? Idk. :P

Pretty sure you can use HTML and be code here. Death.

Oooo I have a question more than a suggestion.

Is there a place where people can make suggestions on RPs that they aren't personally involved in? I know I don't feel like the best writer all the time and I think it's fun to have people chime in? 

I'm not sure if this is like bad though- for others.

Is there a place for that?

Right now, the available methods to feedback to an RP are... either posting in the relevant discussion thread, or sending a PM to the person you want to feedback to. Is that what you're looking for?

Ah yea. I guess there isn't an open forum for it hahaha

Just wondering~~

Thanks <3 

Suggesting in other people's roleplays isn't a common practice here though. But yes, posting in the relevant discussion thread is the best option.

I'm not sure I think it's a good idea to just tell people how you think their rps should go. Usually people have their ideas planned out and some might find it a tad intrusive for you to step in like that. However, I do understand where you're coming from ^^ in my experience here, when someone is stuck on a post, they'll ask others for advice or ideas. I do it and have had some others ask me. In these situations, you know the person is looking for some ideas and don't have anything else planned, so you won't come off poorly. I think you should find a way to make it known you are available for people to come to. Still, I think this will come naturally once you make rp-buddies. People are more likely to go to a friend of theirs that they've rped with before because that friend will know their style and what they like. For example, Trinity may come to me for an idea while Helix would not. One: I don't know Helix's style and two: I don't know Helix very well(not saying I don't think we wouldn't get along, HH <3). Instead, Helix would probably go to Day or someone closer to him. See what I mean? But if I was reading one of Helix's rps with someone and I told him the rp should do this and this, my suggestion may not be very welcome. It not only implies the rp may seem boring to me but it may also come off as I think he's doing a poor job by himself. I'm not saying you'd mean it like that, Lime. You seem too sweet for that. I'm just giving my opinion ^^

2 people like this

Forum has been paid for, so the chatroom has returned.

3 people like this