Pain

A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones

14 posts in this topic

Seeing as I've bumped into a few fellow fans on here, I thought this should have its own thread to stop any other threads potentially leading astray with chit chat.

{Don't want to piss off the admins, those guys are serious shit, and mean}

Plus, you know, ASoIaF is so amazing, it deserves a thread anyway.

SPOILER WARNINGS IN PLACE

Game-Of-Thrones-Season-2-Recap.jpg

Onto the discussion!

I'm definitely a book fan, as I watched the first season of the show, and didn't think much of it, although it was VERY well cast. They did have quite an impossible task though, fitting the book into ten measly episodes. so they get credit just for doing it. Martin created such a diverse and complicated web of characters and stories, that it's a surprise the show even made sense lol

Speaking of characters, who are your favourites? Considering how many I DON'T like, it's surprising how much I adore this series. But, regardless of how many I just want to die a horrible and painful death, they all make the story what it is - amazing. I've found that some characters grew on me, as well, like Jaime. I thought he was a complete prick for the first two books, and then in SoS, you see more of him, and I just started liking him more and more. 

Daenerys was the opposite, actually. I really liked her to begin with. Her transformation from a timid little girl, to a fierce Khaleesi was beautiful to witness, and it was easy to forget how young she is. But then, in FfC and DwD, she just becomes a HUGE idiot, and I want to punch her in the face. I know she's young, but she ignores the advice and warnings of people who more knowledge and experience, and then seems surprised when it all goes wrong. Silly little girl.

House Targaryen, despite Daenerys downfall and Viserys being a vicious little bastard, is my favourite out of them all. There isn't actually a house in which I like all the characters, but I'm just drawn to the Targaryens more than most. I adore Rhaegar, I'm not too sure why, as he isn't even alive in the current storyline, but I certainly wish he was. Perhaps Martin will give us flashbacks or more background? I'm just so, so glad he didn't end up marrying Cersei, who I despise. 

"Anyone who isn't us is an enemy."

My all time favourite though, is Sandor Clegane. He's another grower, as I thought he was a horrible, ruthless bastard at the start of GoT, for being so blasé about killing Micah, but then you find out what his brother did to him, and see a bit of his softer side, and....I just fell in love. A seriously underrated character, and I'm seriously, seriously hoping he isn't actually dead. 

I should stop with the character breakdowns lol I could write about this all day.

Moving on to theories! If you haven't read the books, I really suggest you avoid this part, as it could ruin rather a lot.

The only theory I currently have that I feel confident is somewhat CLOSE to being true, is that Cold Hands is Benjen Stark. I just don't see any other reason for him to risk so much to help Bran and the others. 

There are also a lot of people who think Jon is actually Rhaegar and Lyanna's child, which I can believe. Ned brought him up, because it was the promise she asked of him before she died. Plausible, but I don't want to pin too many hopes on it.

I don't think Jon is dead. He'll either survive, or he'll be brought back, just like Beric Dondarrion.

Brienne is luring Jaime away from the others, under orders from Lady Stoneheart aka Catelyn, so he can be killed. I think Brienne died and was brought back.

I THINK that's all I have right now. Off the top of my head, anyway. I could talk incessantly about GoT, so I'll stop here and let someone else have a turn lol

My current conspiracy theory;

Jaime and Cersei are the Mad King's children. That's why GRRM went out of his way to 1) point out that Aerys would just randomly screw people's wives and 2) have Cersei defend her and Jaime's relationship with the Targaryen's inbreeding practices. This is also, thematically, why Tywin is so obsessed with family, why he so uncharacteristically went out of his way to betray the throne in Robert's Rebellion. and why Tyrion is such a disappointment to Tywin - because he's his only son, and he knows it. There are a lot of passages that speak of Aerys taking Tywin's son from him, and while this is literally true in some ways, I think they're also intended to metaphorically represent Aerys permanently preventing Tywin from ever truly being able to have a firstborn son of his own lineage (because Tywin was, politically, in a position where he couldn't reasonably disown his children as illegitimate via the king).

I'm not sure which I like more - the books or the show. I feel like they both have their strength and weaknesses. I love the show because it brings everything to life, and like you said it's got a great cast! But I also love the books because I feel like there's more meat there. On the other hand, though, I sometimes feel like the books are poorly written and unnecessarily descriptive - Honestly Martin, I don't need every meal to be described and I don't need a list of every bannerman and his backstory if he's not actually important/relevant. The pacing can be incredibly tedious, too, and I feel like a lot of chapters could be cut down significantly without losing any story (see previous statement). And that's where I think the show shines more. It does a much better job with pacing/keeping things interesting.

My favorite characters are Tyrion (who doesn't like Tyrion?), Brienne, Sansa, Arya, Jon, Jaime, and Daenery's. And even though he's a douche, I think Tywin is pretty boss. 

Interesting theory, Bleck, I haven't heard that one before. 

Lady Riddel - See, I don't find the books over descriptive, personally. I AM a Tolkien fan though, so maybe that explains it lol

My like for Tyrion fluctuates, but I've never disliked him. I think his cockiness with be his undoing though; I can see him falling on his arse big time at some point in the future. Or, I could be completely wrong, as Martin is nothing but unpredictable. 

But yeah, I have yet to meet someone who DOESN'T like Tyrion. He's got to be one of the most popular characters, and Peter just plays him perfectly.

See, Brienne, for me, is too noble for her own good. Look at where Ned's nobility led him. She's too pure, and a goody-goody for me to really like her a lot, but she's definitely very interesting. I do ship her and Jaime lol

For me, when there's too much description, I just lose interest. It's really just when he starts going into all these super unimportant people that I start skimming the chapters. 

It's funny how the series has conditioned people to not trust anyone/anything. Personally I kind of feel like some huge natural disaster/ice age thing is going to happen and EVERYONE will die. But I guess anything can happen, really. Watch Hodor be the only one who gets out alive. xD

Oh man, Brienne x Jaime = <3. I love those two. 

Bumping this up to have a little gripe.

I'm really disappointed in The Wit and Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister. I was expecting maybe extra information about him, or something like a diary, or his theories on life. A little behind-the-scenes look at him. Basically, unreleased material.

But it's just quote from the books. 

-.-

I got it for my friend for Christmas, as he loves Tyrion, and I hope he won't be disappointed. I deliberately didn't tell him it was coming out, so it would be a surprise, but I don't think it's such a great present now.

:(

I hadn't heard of it before now o: Good thing you warned me or else I would've bought it myself (if I found out about it)

I saw it on the GoT facebook page back in October and waited for it to be released a few weeks ago.

No wonder no one has really heard of it though.

-.-

At least it wasn't expensive.

So you got your dong cut off, so what? Go cry about it, ya baby! You don't see me complaining about not having one.

Ah okay, I've only seen season 1, and that isn't in the books.

Like to see it though; hate Theon.

Ya know what else gets chopped off? A hand. The guy whines about it like you'd think he only had one to start with. Rookies.