Seanzilla

[Day Phase] Sith Among Us [Mafia VI]

443 posts in this topic

OK, since we have that free day turn where nothing much happens lets review last game:

team rocket won after breaking the professor/trainer duo and having a 3 on 3 tie in the votes, securing the game.

1st day we voted nobody, 1st night, we lost Bleck (1 innocent gone. 12 players left, 4 rockets active) Team rocket is outbnumbered 2:1 but nobody has any clues

2nd day we voted BlackZodiac due to inactivity and 2nd night we lost Ack (3 innocents gone, 10 players in the game, 4 rockets active) still no clues, we vote blindly on the inactive people to avoid removing helpful active players.

3rd day: almost voted Asura away due to inactivity, Daydreamer was revealed and eliminated. 3rd night phase we lost Asura (4 innocents gone, 1 rocket gone, 8 people left, 3 rockets survive) Deus ex Asura is the demise of Daydreamer, who in turn is killed because he found a second Rocket (just as he announced, me)

4th day: Sunset is eliminated because again we have no leads once more. 4th night Nikkia bites the dust (6 innocents gone, one rocket gone, 6 people left, 3 rockets survive)

5th day: team rocket has control over the vote and the alternate win condition has been prevented by removing Nikkia.

This is a tricky game, with 13 players and 4 rockets it could have already been over after 3 days.

For now I suggest caution and unless someone can make a good argument my vote for today is Nobody

I don't understand your thought process - Team Rocket got ahead by people voting for nobody, by voting for the quietest members and for voting for the most experienced members? Right... well that got us nowhere, so why are you then suggesting we vote for nobody? I know this is sort of pointing the finger at yourself (and me to boot) but why are we not then using that logic to vote for the vocal players? I'm not saying we should, i'm just trying to understand why you're pointing the finger at so many and then saying we vote for nobody. These two statements aren't yet adding up for me. 

Valentine makes an excellent point! O:

In games of Magic (the Gathering), I find that it's not a good idea to strike till you have a firm grasp of the situation. That is, how many cards the opponent has in his hand. If we end up killing our own kind we'll be setting ourselves back unnecessarily. However, on the other hand, we'll never get a clue until we put ourselves at risk. The enemy knows and will set us back anyway. The question now is whether we minimise our losses now, or risk for potential future gain. :)

May I suggest that rather than analysing each other, which we have nothing to go upon anyway, let's analyse Sean? Is it likely that he would place people in the same role again after the last game? I don't have any prior experience of the game, but I'm inclined to think that people who have been innocents for the past few games are more likely to end up as villains now.

Speculation: There are 2 Sith and 2 Jedi, a master and apprentice each. This would be suitable to the overall theme of the game. Additionally, I anticipate a greater an unknown number of "gray-area" roles, such as the "Filthy Beggar" and "Wannabe Cookie thief", in which the meatbag in question can choose to represent either side. Admission: I unfortunately have little insight into the conditions of such a change. Judging from previous games it can be anticipated it will be player's choice and irreversable.

Observation: In past games, inactivity has proven to be helpful during the first day, allowing investigative roles to begin their interrogations.

Conclusion: Voting for Nobody seems to be the best decision at this Juncture.

Additional Statement: I anticipate low activity in the coming days, due to a number of assignments which require my attention. Request: Do not take my silence as evidence of guilt.

Addendum:  Analyzing Sean would be a better course of action as opposed to analyzing players, however may prove difficult. There are two schools of thought in this regard.  Either he uses a random assignment of roles, in which case analysis is useless, or he assigned roles according to a pseudo-random process in his own meatbag brain. In this case it may yet be possible to anticipate some action, however cannot be a completely black and white decision.

Conclusion: Utilizing the metagame in this manner will be an insufficient litmus test of guilt.

Is it likely that he would place people in the same role again after the last game?

Either he uses a random assignment of roles, in which case analysis is useless, or he assigned roles according to a pseudo-random process in his own meatbag brain.

To my knowledge, every game thus far has been done so, randomly. I doubt they would be chosen roles because too many people have been villains consistently. Like DayDreamer and Blackfrost. I doubt this is the fault of the game master, and more a random chance. For example, i've yet to be a 'baddie' - and that strikes me as random chance rather than deliberate choice. I know that when I run the Pokemon game I did it by random chance, and was advised that that was how it had been done previously. I doubt we can guess at the reasoning of who became what based on Sean's choice - which I doubt he had. I suspect it was random.

Yeah, I'm sure it was random. I've also had consistently good roles, somehow. You'd think it'd be my turn to be a cool secretive bad guy... Grumble. 

I'll go ahead and vote for nobody as well, as any other option at this point would be random. Like HH said, it would be a risk for a potential gain, but we seem to be very good at voting off useful innocents, looking at the past few games. I don't think the chances are good enough. 

Quick to jump into the no vote start off aren't we? we've still got time. Let's keep the discussion open for a bit before we bait the Sith to strike first in the night phase. I'm not saying we should vote for somebody but we should make use of our time instead of cutting out a full day where knowledge is to be gained.

Quick to jump into the no vote start off aren't we? we've still got time. Let's keep the discussion open for a bit before we bait the Sith to strike first in the night phase. I'm not saying we should vote for somebody but we should make use of our time instead of cutting out a full day where knowledge is to be gained.

But is it even a good idea to let the Sith have one night free to strike? From my experience as Team Rocket in the last game, we won partially because we just kept striking people down night after night rapidly without much resistance. It's not a good idea to let the Sith overwhelm us in the same manner this game.

Having said that, I know it's hard to cast a vote on the first day, where there's not much to go on. This is tricky...

I don't really care what happens today, I'm always going to vote nobody the first day.

You may continue your rabbling.

But is it even a good idea to let the Sith have one night free to strike? From my experience as Team Rocket in the last game, we won partially because we just kept striking people down night after night rapidly without much resistance. It's not a good idea to let the Sith overwhelm us in the same manner this game.

Having said that, I know it's hard to cast a vote on the first day, where there's not much to go on. This is tricky...

It all depends on the role compositions. It may be statistically more likely for us to kill a useful allied role than to kill a Sith, choosing randomly. It's not such a big deal to lose an innocent, but if we lose something like the doctor or investigator, THAT is a serious blow that's not worth risking. Last game Team Rocket outnumbered the Nurse and Officer by quite a lot, so it would've been statistically better to have taken a random guess on the first day.

However, we can't really compare last game to this one, because Sean may do it differently. It's only worth comparing this to previous games of his, to take a guess at the likely role compositions. But even then, since we know its Star Wars, it's quite likely there's only 2 Sith - Master and Apprentice. It's possible there's also Bounty Hunters or other such 'neutral' roles, which sided with the bad guys in the movies anyway. I think it's probably this time that there's more Jedi than Sith, so we're probably statistically more likely to kill a Jedi than a Sith if we just pick randomly.

So in short, yeah its probably not a good idea to take a stab on the first day this time.

Hm, if it is indeed as everyone says and there're only 2 Sith, I shall also vote nobody. At the very least nobody gets to die before they even have their fun with the game.

Hm, that's true. I didn't consider the possibility that there might only be 2 Sith out of the 12 of us. That's half the number of Rockets we had the last game. We need to be far more careful when voting somebody off, then...

I'll go with nobody for today.

Hmm I see everyone's reasons to vote nobody, and I'm inclined to  do so too. But I don't think we've gotten much out of it the last few games and I'm willing to change this up if a good reason arises.

Furthermore I am quite sure the roles are assigned randomly, so there is no reason to suspect anyone based on previous games.

So I guess we'll keep talking.

Edit: Also where the hell did people get this idea of only two sith? That'd be too little. I'm thinking we can count on at least 3, and a number of 'good' roles.

Edit edit: I guess Asura placed that idea within us. Why did you do that? It's a giant assumption which has no basis at all.

Edited by DragonGuard

I think the assumption comes from the fact there's only ever two Sith in the movies, and there's The Rule of Two to support that: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rule_of_Two

However, looking more into that wiki, it does seem that's only one of several ways the Sith have operated, so it may not be that way indeed.

Anyway as far as voting nobody, what I think is we shouldn't kill anyone on the first day, but we shouldn't be too keen to get it over with and move on either. Doing nothing at all on the first day and skipping to the next is indeed of no real help, but if we just keep talking for the entire duration of the first day, THAT will be a help without needing to kill off someone at random.

DayDay-love!!! <3333

(there, I'm talking)

(also, DayDay did mention that some of the neutrals were in the movies sided with the Sith, or something like that, so there's a possibility some of the non-Sith people may have a goal where they win if the Sith win too)

1 person likes this

But during the signup phase Sean clearly said that the star wars theme was more of a backdrop for the game, no way relevant to the way it's actually played.

So no, I think we can safely asume there are at least 3 sith.

Yeah like maybe the Apprentice Sith were... twins.

Or there was a Sith Cult out there who regarded themselves as Sith. So many posSITHbilities.

2 people like this

But during the signup phase Sean clearly said that the star wars theme was more of a backdrop for the game, no way relevant to the way it's actually played.

So no, I think we can safely asume there are at least 3 sith.

It still doesn't mean the theme didn't influence the way he designed the game. The instructions already say there's Sith on one side and Jedi AND Soldiers on the other. I don't think we're gonna have "Detective Jedi" and "Doctor Jedi", so the very fact there are "Jedi" could suggest the Jedi in the game are allied as a team much like the Sith would be, assuming the Sith match the setup of Mafia, and any Doctor/Detective roles will be individual among the remaining players.

Though really, we can't safely assume anything. Even in the game I hosted, which had I think as many players, we could've safely assumed 3 Witches, but in reality one was largely on the side of the Villagers so it was really only 2 that needed to be hunted down.

Assuming things is what causes us to lose. Nothing should be taken for granted or assumed, and everything should be questioned at every stage. The more possibilities we speculate at, the more likely one of them will be correct, and may serve to contextualize actions throughout the course of the game.

Judging by the description I imagine this is old Republic era. The rule of two was not in place during this time.

Still this is all just educated guessing. sean can do things however he wants.

Still this is all just educated guessing. sean can do me however he wants.

Fixed that for ya there.

Yay I'm being helpful.

1 person likes this

If we're going with the train of thought that there are more than two Sith, then there could easily be more than three as well. There were four Rockets in the last game, and that meant that we could sway the way the thread progressed quite heavily..

So many posSITHbilities.

Making puns is absolutely forbidden, I will let this one slide but next time I will be FORCEd to take actions against you.

Obviously the people making puns now are the good guys. Have you ever seen Darth Vader crack a joke?

(unless DragonGuard's a bad guy, in which case he toyed with my feelings)

1 person likes this