Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Demonic Gate

Avoidance Suggestions

35 posts in this topic

This is just me personally thinking this might be a good idea. But when you read/watch something that makes you so sick to your stomach you think to yourself...I need to warn people about this. I just got that feeling from a series, and wanted to start a thread where everyone can put something down if they like. Don't go ripping on it to such a degree that you'll just cause trouble, this is mainly opinionated, and on top of that, these are, as the title says, suggestions. That being said.

Flowers of Evil(Aku no Hana)

Holy shit. Not since I was forced to read Catcher in the Rye has there been something that has literally made me sick to my stomach for thinking it would end up a good series. Between unlikable characters, mean humor, and in the manga at least, one of the most wrong scenes I've ever seen(I won't say because it makes me churn). I say, this is a series that, if you don't want to hate yourself for watching, I suggest you avoid it.

I too found the Catcher in the Rye okay. I mean, it wasn't very bad, just that I preferred some others.

That said, Aku no Hana, well. I haven't heard about it being unwatchable, but yeah it's an acquired taste. And the art is... interesting.

I have something that's so bad it's good. I don't know if it's relevant in this thread, but I'll just put it up here.

Behold Mr Ando of the Woods!

The idea is stuff that you feel is just bad. Like, unlikable. I find Catcher in the Rye to be just plain annoying because I'm not given any reason to like the main character what-so-ever. I know it's "a good book", but personally I think it's an overly praised  book.

Why has no one mentioned Twilight yet?

Vampire Diaries, also, was so, so bad. 

I dunno, I tolerated Vampire Diaries. lol. But, maybe some of that was because I liked a girl who was into it so bad that she just constantly pestered me to watch it, and being a guy, I was like Frankenstein's monster, "Yes okay boobs! Must go watch Vampire Diaries..." lol. It's like... watching a terrible soap, that you have watched too much of and become invested in, even though you know its bloody awful. Okay, I retract my statement. Vampire Diaries is trash. But i'll probably keep watching it.   >_>

The idea is stuff that you feel is just bad. Like, unlikable. I find Catcher in the Rye to be just plain annoying because I'm not given any reason to like the main character what-so-ever.

I identify more with the main character of The Catcher in the Rye than with any other character in any novel I've ever read. I cry a bit whenever I read that book.

A book not being tailor-made to your expectations or feelings doesn't mean that it's not good.

I don't think this thread is a good idea - it's basically asking for people to decry things that other people may very well enjoy. 

Why not make it a rule that you explain why you dislike it thoughtfully. So that if others dont agree with your reasoning they can overlook it?

I identify more with the main character of The Catcher in the Rye than with any other character in any novel I've ever read. I cry a bit whenever I read that book.

A book not being tailor-made to your expectations or feelings doesn't mean that it's not good.

I don't think this thread is a good idea - it's basically asking for people to decry things that other people may very well enjoy. 

Second. Sorry DG

Well, I didn't expect this thing to really be a big thing. Like. It might've just been my 3am tired thoughts thinking it would be a good idea. But I think Frost has a good idea with giving a proper explanation on why you feel the item in question is trashy. A legitimate reason. Like. With me and Aku no Hana, I watched about 6 episodes and everytime Nakamura came into a scene, I just didn't wanna see what would happen because Kasuga always gets the shittiest end of the stick, and then when she gives him a good reason to never see her again and things will go back to normal, he just does what she asks. And it drives me nuts because this kid should learn a lesson. Like, he's too dumb to live. Apparently in the manga he's even worse until a time skip. But like, I just feel this show is being mean for the sake of being mean, like how I hate Netorare as a whole. It makes me really unhappy and makes me angry at the characters themselves, and not in like, the good way where you like them because you hate them like Gruntilda from Banjo Kazooie. It's being mean for the sake of being mean. I don't like that kind of writing at all.

I think this thread is fine. "(x) is bad because I said so," is obviously a bad reason to dislike something, but I think we're all reasonable people here. We don't all have to like the same things, and we can all be respectful of people who have a different opinion than we do. I don't know what anime you're talking about, myself, DG. I'll be sure to steer clear of it, though! Hahaha!

I like everything mentioned in this thread and hate everyone for mentioning it.

>: (

1 person likes this

But I think Frost has a good idea with giving a proper explanation on why you feel the item in question is trashy. 

No, see, the idea is that you make an effort to explain why you don't like something, not why "it's bad". You can think something is bad, but saying out loud that it's bad is essentially arguing that somebody is wrong to like it, which is just asking for trouble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2jUhnCU9iA

This is for you Bleck. But otherwise, I'm trying to give a good reason why I don't like it while not trying to make it so others won't like it either. I'm voicing an opinion on something and, personally think it should be avoided, but others can look for themselves. So this is opinionated, but try to make it in a good way. And please Bleck, don't get all Michelle Bachman on me with the "Good or Bad" line. It leads to dangerous roads.

I can't really think of anything that makes me sick to my stomach, but I generally avoid anything labeled as a "quirky office comedy" and SNL. I feel like these kinds of shows are making everyone sarcastic assholes. The comedy in these shows is usually one of two things - 1.) Random/reaction humor, which, ok, sometimes is funny, but doesn't seem to be the case for a lot of these popular shows or 2.) Mean-spirited/Mocking type humor directed towards a certain group of people (SNL does this a lot). 

I guess I could just be super lame, and I don't work in an office/agency so maybe I just don't "get it", but I'd rather watch things that don't remind me of the things I dislike all the time, or play a video game. 

I'm also just sick of all the references and popular buzzwords that get generated from these kinds of shows. I get it, some guy in some show said something funny. It probably was funny. But it stops being funny about the second time it's said. JUST STOP. PLEASE LET'S JUST HAVE A REGULAR CONVERSATION.

2 people like this

It's like the local news channel in my area literally using the really funny Geico Hump Day commercial in a really annoying fashion. I got so annoyed by that because they literally copy pasted it, but changed 'one' thing being, "What day is it Mike?--It's Friday....--SPORTS EXCLUSIVE DAY WOOT WOOT."

my university's football team is undefeated after eight games and we're number one or two in the country. hoo boy football and sports.

my university's football team is undefeated after eight games and we're number one or two in the country. hoo boy football and sports.

Are you saying you dislike this and we should avoid your university's football team? O.o

dexter seasons 5 and up

just... don't.

it literally almost ruined my faith in humanity.

Are you saying you dislike this and we should avoid your university's football team? O.o

i am saying avoid southern universities unless you care a lot about college football