Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kyo

DnD RPG Forum Discussion

45 posts in this topic

So I assume by this point that a lot of you have heard some mumblings around the forum about a new RPG section that will work a bit like DnD. This is a thread to discuss how that is going to work. While I understand the concept overall I am not remotely clued up on how DnD works. With that said Seanzilla seems to know a lot about it so if it's okay with him I'm going to pass the reigns to him and let him sort out what will work and what wont. I will be around to oversee the development and put any solid decisions to action. 

When we come up with some solid rules and systems that work I will edit them on to this post so we can keep track. 

For the moment as far as I am aware ack is working on some kind of dice app for us to use, which will be super handy and you should all thank her with a friendly tap on the butt and a big ol' face-lick!

Sean originally suggested the following in the suggestions thread:

- A discussion topic would be used for Character Sheets, general NPC/world info, quest info, etc.
- Post order during combat would be determined by a character's Initiative.
- Dice rolls would have to be done with on a different site, of course people could cheat but let's assume everyone plays fair. These dice rolls would determine what action your characters take and then a short RP post would describe what happens. acks making us a dice app, so problem solved!
- Dungeon Master's posts would mostly advance the story or control NPCs. Player posts would be about their actions.
- During non-combat section there would be no post order and every Player would be free to do as they wish.
- During combat sections post orders would be determined through initiative.

So without further ado let's start turning this idea into a reality, or even a SURreality a-hur-hur-hur!

What will happen with inactive players?

How long will/should/must we wait before moving on?

Like, if someone has to defeat the giant evil wombat, but doesn't post their roll or whatever.

Well, I'm going to TRY to build a dice thing. I might not be super good enough at doing something like that. D: Here's some questions I have so I can try to build this out:

• What type of sided die do we need?
  • Do we need to be able to have more than one dice roll at a time?
  • Do we need to be able to have more than one dice roll of the same kind?

Obviously, if I can find a way to make these numbers not editable, that'd be perfect.

This is actually a good practice thing for me, I just need to see how difficult it is to actually modify the forum. I'm pretty much at the stage of development where I could do this in javascript or PHP, I just gotta work it in with the software we're using.

Didn't you find some code which you could implement?

That allowed you to roll multiple dices and with a selected amount of sides...

Yeah, but I think there was something about it you guys didn't like. I think it let you edit the number because it inserted it into the post. I'll have to double check.

Honestly, it'd be fun to just take a stab at it too.

I thought it was wonderfully wonderful.

But it shouldn't be too hard to make right? I think I, with my basic knowledge of programming, could manage it.

Problem I'd have would be with inserting it within the forum.

Yeah, that's my problem too.

I re-looked at it again real quick, and it looks like it might actually work fine. I just need to actually add it to the forum and test it out.

What will happen with inactive players?

How long will/should/must we wait before moving on?

That should be up to the GM.

What type of sided die do we need?

Do we need to be able to have more than one dice roll at a time?

Do we need to be able to have more than one dice roll of the same kind?

We need D4 / 6 / 8 / 10 / 12 / 20 / 100

Yes.

Yes.

Also the problem with that system was that posts become uneditable and you can't see what the results are before posting. So you wouldn't know what your action in the post would be. However, that would be solved by doing the rolls in an OOC/Discussion thread and writing the course of the action in the Game thread.

I can see the benefits of it working that way, though. If you were able to see the rolls before you posted, then you could just back out and make a new post. Even if double posting is allowed, I'd be fine with that.

I'll add this to the forum and see how it really works and see if we'll go with it. If not, I can think about trying to make my own thinger.

People could just use orokos.com or invisiblecastle.com for a dice roller. They're both sites that give an external link for each roll you make, so including those links in the post is an easy way to check the veracity of a diceroll.

Also I would be willing to run a game called Dungeon World (which is like D&D but much, much simpler). For those interested, rules are over at here; http://book.dwgazetteer.com/index.html. It's easy to get into and as a bonus is totally free! It's also much closer to what we're used to over here at S*T, as the system is fairly freeform.

I've been thinking a bit about how I'd ideally run it in a forum RP format. In the end it would probably look a lot like a standard RP, with the main difference being that you no longer have complete control over how the story pans out.

Most of the things I had already mentioned and BF copied them here, but it'd look something like this.

1. Create a discussion thread. Use the first post to keep track of everything: the world, NPCs, quests, major events, character sheets (potentially made on a third-party site like myth-weavers).

2. Whoever wants to join has to create a Player Character (obviously). This can be a bit time consuming, but I'll post a guide on how to make a PC in DnD4e, that should help. Players should try and create a balanced party, no point adventuring with 5 Clerics.

3. The DM starts the RP, either in or out of an encounter. If the PCs are in a new area the DM should obviously give a quick explanation of what is around in the area and a list of known NPCs and their whereabouts without giving out too many details, people will have to find out shit by asking, researching or doing Knowledge checks. 
    ex.: "You have entered Surreality. The town hall, called Out-of-Character by the locals, is where you'll likely find Blackfrost, the Administrator, DragonGuard, the Graduate, ack!, the sexy Webmaster, and Seanzilla, the Greatest."

4. When there is no encounter currently taking place anyone would be free to post whenever they want and do whatever they want. If they want to take actions that would require a skill check, they roll their die (how depends on what is implemented into the forum) and the action fails or succeeds accordingly. The DM would RP the various NPCs that they meet.
    ex.: "Seanzilla the Greatest Paladin in the universe entered town hall. The locals gazed at him, silently wondering what this dashing young man was doing in their town, but none of them looked like they were in charge of the town."

Succesful Knowledge check: "Luckily Seanzilla knew that the Webmaster was known as ack! and summoning her was as easy as repeatedly shouting her name."
    Failed Knowledge check: "Sadly Seanzilla's is actually a dumb piece of shit and he had no idea who he was looking for. He spent the entire afternoon asking people who was in charge here, but everyone was too shy to answer him."

5. Once the party enters and encounters, a post order will be enforced based on everyone's initiative roll. In-encounter posts will generally be short and detail what attacks where used, whether the attack hit or missed and how much damage the attack did.
    ex.: "Blackfrost swings his mighty Axe of Skrillex and hits DragonGuard in the face with his Super Mega Moon Destroyer Death Strike. Despite DragonGuards armor that strike will leave quite the scar! (1 Damage)"
    Of course you can be a descriptive as you like with in-encounter posts.

I'll also probably end up tweaking a lot of rules of DnD4e, since it was mostly optimized to be played on a board, but things like movement and whatnot should be easily converted for a forum format.

Can I roll to see if I can touch ack, the sexy Webmaster's butt?

I can't even say anything witty and nerdy in retort because I don't understand this kind of role playing.

ack! failed to defend herself. ack! takes butt touch.

It's really simple actually, ack!. You have a list of skills, I used Knowledge as an example, but there is also shit like Athletics, Acrobatics, Dungeoneering, Sneaking, etc. etc. Your rank in these skills are determined by your stats.

In order to touch your butt Kyo had to use his Sneak score to beat your Perception score. You both roll a D20. Kyo rolls a 13 and get +3 from his Dexterity score and you roll a 10 but get +5 from your Wisdom. 16 vs 15, Kyo beat you and succesfully touches your butt!

3 people like this

If Wahad and I are going to introduce new RPG systems as well, perhaps it'll be a good idea to have sub-forums for each of these RPGs. The main sub-forum will list the various OOC components of RPGs, but the roleplay itself should be found in each of the specific sub-forums. This way people will know at a glance whether they're reading a DnD thread or whatever.

I thought it'd be more organised to separate the General RPG threads from the Specific RPG threads, and also the OOC from the IC. :/

We can use thread tags to clear that confusion.

Thread tags should work. It should be as simple as a rpg discussion sub forum and an rpg sub forum for the actual rps.

So what is happening at the moment, are we going to have it that the rpg story lines can differ from person to person, but the rules created here will be the same in each? Or are we looking at having several different play styles being created to pick and choose from. My only concern is that either way, the systems in place would have to work. If we allow people to just make their own game rules there's potential for a lot of confusion should someone quite inexperienced decide to GM a game. Perhaps we should have a pinned thread with pre-approved game rules that people can use?

The only system we'd need to succesfully run these games is a dice system, which is currently being worked on.

I'm not sure what die other games use, but I think that as long as the list I have given can be used, all games should be fine. I don't think we need a thread with pre-approved game rules, but a thread with a quick explanation of how systems work should do just fine (I don't mind making one to explain DnD4e).

But yeah, someone unexperienced running a game would always cause problems, but they'll have to learn eventually.

Sounds fine to me.

Also. Irrelevant as this may be. I noticed earlier that you wrote "axe of skrillex". I feel like you missed a golden opportunity by not calling it a "skrillaxe"

Cus.

Y'know.

Puns.

3 people like this

So I decided to do something productive during my all-nighter and started working on a DnD 4e tutorial. For now I have only completed the Step-by-step character creation section, but that's 2.5k words already :D:D:D:D:D

Luckily that is biggest part and everything else is relatively simple.

2 people like this

So since you're such an eager beaver. Where are we at with your rules and stuff? If you're more or less organised just let me know what kind of forum set up you need and I'll make the changes. I'm assuming seperate discussion forum and seperate rpg forum and that's basically it? O.o