Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kyo

Final Fantasy

91 posts in this topic

I'm just doing this to appease amanda's bubbling nerdrage. 

So yeah FFIX is the best. Shut up. 

Discuss. 

1 person likes this

FFIX is the best.

There is nothing to discuss.

1 person likes this

I was hoping for some fight on this so I could write a big essay about why FFIX is the best. Oh well. 

FFVIII also used to be my favorite. I still love playing it, Triple Triad is total boss, and the music is great. I love the combat setup and the leveling monster and the monster design.

But FFIX has characters and story, and that trumps everything.

What I love about FFIX is the underlying theme of identity. Every character struggles with their identity in some form, whether it be their roots, their path in life, the loss of their civilisation, their duty, or why they exist at all. It is beautiful because it encapsulates all of these things perfectly, and thus it is easy to find a character to relate to, because we all have these issues in some form or another. 

I do like 9 a lot. 8 is still my favorite, even if it's an unpopular one. I also really liked 10. And 7. And 4. 

Can we talk about movies too?

Because I thought Advent Children was amaaaazing.

I never could get into 9all that much.     *dodges the inevitable hate*

I was either too embittered from 8(which I hated), or the art direction just put me off...   Likely it was a combination of the two...   God damn it did I hate 8...  Everything about it from the drawing magic to the slow as balls beginning...  ugh...

I never played 7 till maybe 2004 (by then i had already beaten the hell out of X, (and to my great shame, X-2....  Still kind of a guilty pleasure...)), but found it quite to my liking.  I dont understand all the obsession that many seem to have over it-  Its a good game, but nothing too earth-shattering. (Now The Legend of Dragoon, on the other hand.....)

Never played 11, as it was an MMO, same with 14.  12 I played a ton, and liked the game, but felt it had crap for story and characters.

13 was pretty, but suffered from an incredibly tedious "story", and of course the infamous hallway school of design it has.

So favorite...  I dunno.  7 or 10, I guess. Really should play some of these FF games over again.

As to the movies....   Advent Children was very pretty, and was ok all around, though again, I dont think there was anything groundbreaking about the storyline.

Personally, I liked Spirits Within. Looked kinda cool, and kept me entertained.

Tons of people hated Spirits Within, because they wanted one of the worlds previously set in lore. But I thought it was fantastic. It looked amazing then, and it still looks fantastic now. It's a great story about nature, loss, redemption and responsibility. Personally, I think it's great.

microsoft_train_simulator-pc.jpg

Final Fantasy 13 looks so interesting you guys.

I dunno, I never got the chance to play 9, though I think I'd like it. But I guess I don't like much from after 6. Any instance of Gilgamesh is great in any game. But I'd say, to make things a little different. Final Fantasy 6 is my favorite hands down, characters, story, music, world lay-out, everything is perfect to me. Bbbbbbbbbbbbuuuuuuuut. I'd actually say that Final Fantasy 5 is the best of the series. Not only does it capture my emotions so well, but the characters are memorable, the soundtrack is lovely, the story is well paced, the class system was phenomenal, not to mention, it began the Gilgamesh way.

Gilgamesh_wields_guns.jpg

The only good thing from FF13-2.

Tons of people hated Spirits Within, because they wanted one of the worlds previously set in lore. 

I hate it because the characters have horrible dead eyes and it frightens me. ._.

-_- .....

For the sake of everything FF fans hold sacred, and not creating a downward spiral in this thread, I'm not going to touch this discussion. Only say that FF1 for the NES, was better than IX, or any title after IX, by a crippling, and devistating landslide. So much so, in fact, that this discussion shouldn't even be taking place.

Ack ban this guy plz 

• Michael J Saulnier
    Hey Tri, Sean.
  •  
    FFIX sucks fucking dick.
  •  
    It was a children's game aimed at reeling in a yougner generation of FF fans for expansion onto the upcoming PS2 platform.
  •  
    It was, in fact, the death of the franchise.

No, I really want to know your reasoning on why you think FFIX is terrible besides saying it's terrible.

I love FFVIII just like everybody else, but I can come up with a huge list of why it's pretty terrible as well.

And I can't remember anything about Spirits Within, and I'm pretty sure I've only seen the paradoy subtitled version of Advent Children. XD

Its okay michael we're all big boys and girls we can handle conflicting opinions (I think).

I think a big part of ff games is people tend to create a much richer story on their head. The nostalgia helps us imagine it be much better than it is.

While ff1 was a good game that was fun to play, I feel ffix had better storytelling. I know it made a lot of nods to previous games, most notably ff1, but it is imo the best in terms of storytelling. It wasnt groundbreaking and it had a lot of cliche but people often associate cliche with negative things when actually it can be very charming and comfortable.

Id love to discuss the intricacies of your opinion and my own. All joking aside saying "this is the best. No argument possible" isn't really swaying anybody.

Since you're such a lover of storytelling, I'd love to hear why you didn't like ffix as much, and why you think ff1, of all things, is better.

C'mon buddy! Hit me with one of your iconic mammoth sized posts where you discuss this on detail. I tend to enjoy the read when you do that.

Look, it's all personal taste, opinion. There are no facts or concrete evidence. Some people love country music, I don't. Does that mean I can justify why it's horrible? NO, only why I THINK, it's horrible.

This discussion is ultimately a waste of time.

But, if you want my reasoning, I'll gladly give you that much.

IX was grossly immature. It's a game I would let my 5 year old nephew play with a clear conscience. I actually will buy him a copy to introduce him to the franchise. ( I'm not even joking. My brohter's wife already gave me the green light)

The characters were pathetically weak, and one dimensional. So too, was the storyline, boring, far from profound, epic, brilliant, moving, anythign I would use to describe any other FF. FFI is more engrossing, and it had next to no real storyline.

The game was pathetically easy. It took me a week to destroy it, inside and out. FFI took me almost a year to complete, and I actually had to start a new file half-way through my first, becuase I had chosen my party all wrong, and therefor could not keep up with the oncoming dungeons and monster types.

The item system, was as plain, and one dimensional as FFI. The Magic system... Oh wait, FFIX used character classes... One dimensional, linear classes which limited every character to a set, and limited list of options.

The game had very little to offer, on any level, what-so-ever.

It was so dry, stale, and bland that it harkened back to those NES RPGs in a way that was so strong, it made me nostalgic of those early NES RPGs, and I ended up wanting to play them, instead of IX.

FFIX took everything the fanrachise did to evolve and grow as an animal of it's own, and hit the reset button, taking us back to the simplistic, dumbed-down, one dimensional style of characters, storytelling, features, and gameplay.

I rank FFIX as the second worst FF title ever made, right above FFX.

Remember to stay calm, everyone, or you'll be instakilled by ack's Jedi Banhammer ability.

... I still cry myself to sleep when I remember that incident.

The longest, hardest game of them all, basically by popular belief.

I take it you've completed the game yourself?

What characters did your party consist of, Sean?

Hey dude its cool I wasnt having a pop or anything. I just wanted to hear a fuller explanation of your opinion. So thanks!

From what I can see you expected ffix to be something it wasnt. And thats cool and a shame you didn't enjoy it. I disagree that the characters were 1 dimensional though. I actually think they were wonderful and had so many layers to them.

But I suppose it depends on who you are. People take drastically different things from a story. Some strange people enjoyed twilight.

As for telling people to settle. Try not to mistake passion for aggression. Michael strikes me as someone with strong views who talka passionately about what he loves. Try not to confuse that with anger or butthurt. Its all too common to read text in a way that makes it come off as negative.

This is a forum community. It'd be boring if we were all the same. I find the best rule of thumb is to, unlike a story, not read too much into it. Ultimately another persons opinion being different ffrm yours will not break your world.

The important thing is we are here to talk about something that we all share a love for as a franchise, regardless of which is our favourite.

And when all is said and done ffix is the best so idgaf! =p