Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kyo

Final Fantasy

91 posts in this topic

Someone take away Kyo's admin position so he can stop being PC and unleash the scotsman.

Someone take away Kyo's admin position so he can stop being PC and unleash the scotsman.

Och aye the noo, come at me bro.

Honestly, I had a really hard time with FFI. I could only beat the remake that come out on the PSP. I couldn't even get past the first couple of dugeons on the PS1 port. D: Yeah, there was pretty much no story, but I did feel accomplished when I finally completed the game.

Now I still disagree full heartedly with your disceration, Michael. I'm honestly asking if you have played the game within the past year. I've always liked FFIX, but I haven't really appreciated it until I replayed it a couple of years ago. I now replay it nearly every year and find myself always surprised by how amazing it is.

Kyo, I don't really agree that the characters are cliche. I mean, maybe superficially they are, but as the story continues, they completely grow apart from that. The thing that I love the most about FFIX is that every character goes through a very drastic personal growth. Zidane finds that his home has been Gaia all along. Garnet takes on the responibilty of being queen of Alexandria. Vivi learns what it means to die, and helps the rest of his kind to work through those feelings. I won't go through them all because I just don't have time for that, and I'm sure somebody else could explain their change a little better than I did... But the point is, the characters you see at the begining of the story are not the same as the ones at the end. Every character matures in some regard.

And the story is not so different from FFVII in some regard, though I still think it is much better. You have one country that is building an army to take over the rest of the world. That army was supplied by Kuja. Kuja was sent to Gaia to cause chaos and death so more souls could flow to Terra. Zidane was the original person to have to be tasked with this, but in classic Son Goku fashion, kind of lost his orders somewhere in the ether. You could desensitize any of these FFs into the same silly sounding story line. What was FFVIII? A bunch of orphaned kids are being taught to kill sorceresses in a mercenary school. The kids then try to kill the sorceress to find out she's actually a witch from the future. The main character's girlfriend turns into a sorceress, and they all go into a world where all time is simultaneous so they can defeat her and return the world order. See? It all sounds pretty stupid when you break it down. The difference is the characters. And FFIX has much better characters and development.

I will agree that there isn't much to write home about when it comes to the class/magic/ability system. It is pretty straight forward, a little boring, and a bit tedious. It's not really why I play and enjoy the game, however. FFVIII, VII, and even X had better combat and systems.

The thing is, I'm willing to bet half of you posting right now, have never played (and or completed) FF1-6.... I've played and completed every game up to X. ANd I've seen the others being played by friends and girlfriends. I watched my ex play thorugh all of X-2, 12, & 13.

So I've got my ducks in a row, my facts straight, and my homework done twice-over.

See, Ack! I beat FF1 before FFVII came out... Back then it did feel fucking great to say I finally beat it. After a year of fighting with it, it became personal. I'm the kind of guy who sets goals, and sees them through, no matter what. I have more memories of friends and long nights playing FFI than any other game.

That's me. IX is you. I don't see what the big deal is here? You wanna nerdrage honey, you go right ahead. I have stuff to do with my day that doesn't exactly allow room for a debate about what our personal favorite FF games are.

I've played FFI, FFII, FFIII, FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, FFX, FFX-2. I've played about halfway through both FFIV and FFV. So nice try. :P

And I just simply wanted to know why you hated it so much. If somebody comes in and says why they like FVII the best, I'll be asking them why and open a debate with them too. This isn't a debate to change anybody mind's per se, but more so just to see what your interpretation was and maybe discuss some points that you may like or not like. We all might learn something about our favorite/least favorite games that we didn't notice before.

Yeah the combat system wasnt great.

Ack I didnt mean they are entirely cliche. What I mean is they play on common stereotypes. Zidane is the thief, the confident and cheeky rogue. Steiner is a knight, a man of honour and principle. Freya is a legendary dragoon, a mysterious and wise woman who has gained much experience of life before the story begins. You are right though. They become individual. And like I said previously, the over arching theme is identity, and self discovery. The game deals with several existential dilemma and ties them up quite nicely. And maybe its not indicative of a cold, hard reality, but its a fantasy story. Its fairy tale adventure is what makes it charming and memorable in our hearts.

1 person likes this

Uhh played I, II, III, IV, V (but quit halfway), VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XIII and currently playing XIV.

Yeah the combat system wasnt great.

Ack I didnt mean they are entirely cliche. What I mean is they play on common stereotypes. Zidane is the thief, the confident and cheeky rogue. Steiner is a knight, a man of honour and principle. Freya is a legendary dragoon, a mysterious and wise woman who has gained much experience of life before the story begins. You are right though. They become individual. And like I said previously, the over arching theme is identity, and self discovery. The game deals with several existential dilemma and ties them up quite nicely. And maybe its not indicative of a cold, hard reality, but its a fantasy story. Its fairy tale adventure is what makes it charming and memorable in our hearts.

Yeah, it's pretty clear the theme is identity, as they use that in the opening title cards. But all right. Didn't mean to generalize your comment. I agree with this 100%!

Michael. This is a friendly discussion. Nobody is saying you are wrong, they are offering a different perspective. Not everything is about fact.

As for what's the big deal? There is no big deal. We're just having a chat. Its all free love and breezy in here.

Halfway doesn't count. YOu could quit VI halfway and miss the VERY part of it...

I'm done with this anyway. It all went too far. YOU asked me what my favortie FF was & why. When I touched on IX, you couldn't handle it, so a thread about why IX is the best, no matter what anybody says, started.

I knew what this was going to be, I called it in my first post in this thread.

So ya'll can bicker and banter amongst yourselves about it.

And Frost, I did expect IX to be somehting it wasn't, a good game that was worth my $40!

sigh

i wonder why playing halfway doesnt count but watching someone play does...

i guess making sense would hurt his case.

The only person making a big deal of this is you. Dont mistake our different opinions as bickering. Your opinion is just as valid as everyone else and nobody is judging you.

Regardless its just a video game. Trust me when I say we all have far more important things to be getting defensive about.

Anyway I refuse to let this thread get out of hand. Lets talk about how ffxii was awful and ruined the world of Ivalice.

I've always wanted to finish IV and V... And honestly, I really love V. I don't know what it is about it. I love Bartz and Faris and just... Everything is so fun and I always love job systems. I just got stuck when we all went to the moon... For whatever reason. wtf. FF you cray cray.

So I guess we'll move this on. I started a new file in X-2 about a month ago. Best battle system or best battle system? FIGHT ME.

I loved dresspheres. Just wish the story was better.

You know, playing through it again... Like... The story isn't... as... terrible... as it should be. Shuyin and what's her face is actually a really cute couple. It's a super simple concept, but a good love story. The whole X series just has the best love stories, and I'm SUCH a girl about them. XD

And XII is a game where I played a half hour and never picked it up again. I just... Can't. -n-

So many people I know love it, and I guess that's fine. It's just not really my bag. When I found out it didn't have a love story, and just the whole idea of the gambit system... Mah. Though the monster hunting sounded really fun.

I actually enjoyed FFXII. It had it's flaws (like pretty much every other FF that isn't FFIX, imo) and it wasn't great, but I still enjoyed it.

What's the take on the tactics series? Personally loved them!

Also hitting the gym now. Ill be back later to rub my sweat stink all over you guys.

Does it take place in the same world as Tactics?

... There's another really hard ass game I didn't get far into. I'm so bad at tactics games... Though I heard the first couple of areas are just really hard and it gets easier after that. I literally couldn't beat the first few battles before getting to the first town. XD

Tactics is my 4th favorite FF game. (You REALLY should give this game another shot...)

The key to Tactics (I'm the master of this game. I  wrote a Starter's Guide for an online-friend about 7 years ago, but that text file was lost, and contact with said friend has been severed over the years. God! What I wouldn't give to have that back right now!! ='( ) is recruiting new characters to your party AS SOON as you start the game. Immediately fire everyone in your party, regardless of how good they seem. You can afford about 2 additional characters when you first are able to visit the Recruiting office.

You have to spend potentially hours sifting through characters to find one that has good stats (Courage & Faith, around 67-70 in both. Courage affects physical aspects, and Faith affects mystical, aspects of a character. So 70 Faith will make a GREAT mage, Mystic, Summoner, etc.), and also their astrological sign affects your party in a MAJOR way. Each sign has two other signs in which they are compatible with. You can check out which signs work well with your character using the Help system (just click on your sign).

This is THE MOST important part of FF Tactics!! Let me explain. Your main character's sign should dictate the other signs of your party. Try to make sure they are ALL compatible to the best of your ability. I'm Ares, so I have another Ares or two, because they are neutral to each other, but work well with the other two signs in my party ;) .

What these signs determine, is the amount of bonus Jp (Job Points) every other member of your team gets from each other.

Let's say my main (Edge) is a Monk, and Talla is currently a White Mage. If their signs are compatible, every time Edge gets Monk exp, Talla gets some Monk exp, even though she might never have been a Monk. And Edge gets White Mage exp from Talla...

Oh fuck yes! This little trick ends up being the difference between a shitty set of characters, and a well-oiled killing machine.

What you want to do, is start everyone off as Squires. (FUCK Delita, he's a coward in combat, and he betrays you, anyway. Don't worry about ANY of the storyline characters)

Recruit 4 other characters in addition to your main. That's a full party of 5.

Keep everyone on Squire until you learn the following skills in the following order with everyone (and don't spend ANY JP on anything but THESE skills):

1: Stone. This is for long-range attacks which come in VERY handy for getting your JP early on! Sometimes you can't get close enough to attack, so have that ace-in-the-hole for when you need it. (Some of your recruits MAY already have it)

2: JP Boost. MUST-HAVE!

3: Counter Tackle. You'll learn to love this in the early stages. It allows some extra damage every time an enemy attacks you, speeding up the battle process.

4: Move +1. MUST-HAVE!

5: Focus. This ability increases the users Attack value by 1, making your pysichal attacks much stronger. (MUST-HAVE for Monks, Knights, Ninjas, Samurai, etc.)

Once you have these 5 Skills, you can change your class as desired.

Two more tips in regards to your combat troubles (it doesn't get easier until your characters get better):

When you enter a battle, never split your group up (until later, when your characters are able and powerful enough to stand alone). Keep a tight formation in those beginning, Squire stages. You don't have to worry about Mages dropping spells on multiple targets yet. It's all goblins and chocobos. Keep your team together, so when enemies approach, you can isolate, and gang up on them, killing them in one turn around the party. Don't let anyone be cut off from the others, and ALWAYS heal AS SOON as you take damage... survival in the long-term is more important than damage here & now.

Also, I'm going to give you a little tip that'll make your Tactics experience more pleasant, faster.

At the beginning of the game, your first real battle is in a place called the Mandelia Plains. Stay here. Don't rush on to bigger and better opposition as a lvl 2 Squire with not but Stone and Salve... Keep grinding on the Plains until your at least onto new jobs, and you have those 5 skills on everyone. Grind it out and get stronger before you seek a better challenge.

My last tip, the holy grail of FF Tactics... this one will help you shave off those awkward transitions from class-to-class.

When you're about to finish a battle, when there are only two enemies left, surround one of them. A character on each side of it, so it cannot move at all, only act (attack, skill, etc. Chocobos are good, because they can use Choco Heal, and sometimes heal the characters which have it surrounded.

Once you have it trapped, kill the other monster (if there are any).

What you want to do now, (make sure your characters have Items assigned to their secondary ability slot, and can use potion. Normally, you have enough Chemist JP to buy Potion when you start, and some recruits already have it) is repeatedly throw stones at, then heal (using potions) this monster. DO NOT, let it die. Keep in mind Counter Tackle (if you have it on anyone), becuase sometimes it will attack you, and you'll counter, killing it early on.

Just keep healing it, and using Stone (low damage dealt). Grind for as long as you can physically and mentally handle it. You'll leave that battle with insane amounts of JP for your class. This helps when you first change to a class, letting you spend serious amounts of JP to establish that characters efficiency in that particular Job.

Also (I'm ranting now), Monk is one of the best Classes in the game. Regardless of what type of character you want to make someone (Job-wise) run them through the Monk Class. The skills are pretty much the best. They can Heal (HP & MP up to 5 people around them), revive, cure illnesses, and attack long-range (two different skills, one can hit multiple targets in a straight line ranging about 8 tiles. it's called Shockwave.) And the best part about those skills? They don't cost ANY MP.

Gotta love the Monk Class, MUST-HAVE!

1 person likes this

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah...text.

I guess I have lonely feelings about a lot of my opinions...I felt FFIII was easily the hardest game. It pissed me off how every boss battle no matter how much I leveled would just wave their hand lightly and kill one of my characters immediately. FFI is...a good game. No where near the best, it just got the series started, which is why I think it's great. I actually think that FFII is one of the better ones for its interesting system of magic and weapons. FFIII was haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard. FFIV is a good game just. Pretty good. Story was good but goddammit Kain. FFV is just the best game hands down, but FFVI is my favorite for it being everything I ever wanted in a game. Characters I like, good romance, great story, music being phenomenal, bosses that posed a challenge but didn't decimate me, and a main villain that really makes me happy to hate him. 

But shockingly one of my favorite games is FF: Theatrhythm. Something about it is so goddamn fun.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

I felt FFIII was easily the hardest game.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks, Michael! I'll need to get in the mood to try it again, but I'll revisit this and read your tips again when I do. I know I need to play it, and I really WANT to. I'm just a baby.

I played FFIII on the DS remake. They probably made it a lot easier. I had some difficulty, but not too much.

BUT NOW THAT I'M REMEMBERING... I never actually FINISHED FFII. That shit pissed me off SO BAD. All of your fucking guys die, and I got to the last dugeon and I had some loser that was like level 14 and knew nothing rejoining my team and I was like... lol.. peace out.

I did like how everybody could learn whatever spell though. That was neat. Really customize a character to however you wanted. Game was bullshit, though.

I NEVER said FFI was the best, not once could anyone honestly quote me as saying that, from 1985-present day.

FFIII was nowhere near as hard as FFI... :unsure:

Jesus christ, FFI was insanely difficult and tricky. Just by the character choices you make at the start of the game, you can doom yourself to failure. Certain party combinations CANNOT become strong engouh to complete the game, period.

This is a well documented fact in the FF comunnity.

It was by fucking far the hardest Final Fantasy game ever made!!

The ONLY reason I completed it was because my good friend Dave Bigger got his hands on the dungeon map set, which told you how to complete every major dungeon, as well as where to get the best equipment out of those dungeons. Without them, at 8 years old, I probably never would have beaten the game unit well into my teens, maybe even twenties!

Dave was like a God amidst insects that summer. By holding power over those maps, he held power over us all!!

I think you better download FFIII on Rom and go through it again. It's my personal belief that you'll feel pretty freakin' silly afterward, DG.

You're very welcome, Ack!. It really was a very entertaining, involving, genius game. You should also look up the walkthrough to get Cloud Strife as a playable character in it too. You'll enjoy that part of it, but it's very hard. You have to do a lot of thigns right over a very long period of time in-game to aquire him.