Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DayDreamer

Murder Mystery game [signup here]

96 posts in this topic

Right, I agree. I remember claiming the following game after DD, back when he claimed it after you, Sean.

Wasn't that the TR one though? Cos the game before that was the only one I had wanted to run. I've no idea who is line for mafia at this point so I'll leave that up to others. This thread is about working out how this game will work, if people still want a turn hosting the mafia game first then this can wait.

No, I remember when the TR game was over, Sean said he wanted to start the next game, then I thought it was you after him that called dibs, so I called dibs after you.

Well I'm pretty sure I didn't, must've been somebody else. I suppose it will become clear when the current game ends, who that someone else was.

What actually happened was Bleck called dibs after the TR game, and then Sean called dibs after him and then Valentine called dibs after Sean. Bleck decided to postpone his game, so Sean hosted this game. You're next in line Val. 

So hurry up and night phase the game sean so we can kill Sith Valentine and get this game going!

Okay I will start a fresh thread later with concise details and signups. This can serve for any further mechanics discussion before it actually kicks off.

A suggestion; hold signups in a separate thread (or this one), so that there aren't two pages of signups at the beginning of the actual game. This is something that's bothered me about all our mafia games.

It's good that there'll be a mafia game before this one, cuz I was intending to hold off on playing due to exam revision. But now the mafia game will probably take the exam time, and after the exams I can join this one! Yay!

A suggestion; hold signups in a separate thread (or this one), so that there aren't two pages of signups at the beginning of the actual game. This is something that's bothered me about all our mafia games.

I was considering that, and since it has bothered someone else then I shall make that change. Will probably just rename this thread to indicate it is for signups

It's good that there'll be a mafia game before this one, cuz I was intending to hold off on playing due to exam revision. But now the mafia game will probably take the exam time, and after the exams I can join this one! Yay!

I think since Val thought there was one person ahead of him he was fine to take his turn after this game, so this will be happening now. Unless I misunderstood.

We should have a game to decide who gets to make the next game. But who should host this game to decide who gets to host the next game. Perhaps we can decide with a game? But who would host that? 

Oh yeah that too. Consider this my sign up. 

Signing up~

Also I dunno if Sean wants to host the 2nd Murder Mystery game. If so, then dibs on hosting it after him!

I would like to sign up too. ^

Some characters may also have traits that reveal additional features of the room, such as whether others have investigated it already, or whether anything has been taken from it.

What about if A investigated a room, and then the Murderer dumps an item in that room (within the same Night phase)? Will A receive the pre-Murderer's-visit's state of the room or the post-Murderer's-visit's version (assuming A can detect the type of weapon that was dumped)? Are the players actions real-time-sensitive? Are PMs from the GM to the players sent only at the end of the Night phrase?

Well they can choose who, but they'd have to know where they are. But yeah basically what you said, as far as what they can choose, they'd be targeting the occupant of a room rather than an individual. I'm not sure yet what mechanic to use to determine how the killer can know where people are, it'd be nice to have some strategy to that as well so the murderer must gather information about where people will be.

How about giving the Murderer a PM with the positions of all the characters after they've sent in their Night Actions? Say the murderer has installed hidden CCTVs in every room, or only along the corridors so he can tell who's in which room but not what's inside each room. Like Danganronpa, hm? You can give the murderer some oversight powers.

Yeah, this is me signing up.

As for who is hosting what and when. I think DD should host this now, as I still have a lot of stuff in terms of roles, etc. to work on for the next Mafia game, and I figure as DD has it mostly planned out, and its a change from the Mafia, we'll welcome this as much as we will a return to the Mafia format. Change is good, in both cases.

So let's go DD's Murder Mystery -> Valentine's Mafia -> TriOctium's Murder Mystery - shall we?

Sounds good to me. I'll need some time to plan after DD's Murdery Mystery is completed after all, and perhaps improve on the gameplay based on feedback.

Yeah, this is me signing up.

As for who is hosting what and when. I think DD should host this now, as I still have a lot of stuff in terms of roles, etc. to work on for the next Mafia game, and I figure as DD has it mostly planned out, and its a change from the Mafia, we'll welcome this as much as we will a return to the Mafia format. Change is good, in both cases.

So let's go DD's Murder Mystery -> Valentine's Mafia -> TriOctium's Murder Mystery - shall we?

I believe Seanzi already called dibs after DayDay, so Octy's one will be after him. Unless Seanzi's drained of ideas or something.

I would like to sign up too. ^

Some characters may also have traits that reveal additional features of the room, such as whether others have investigated it already, or whether anything has been taken from it.

What about if A investigated a room, and then the Murderer dumps an item in that room (within the same Night phase)? Will A receive the pre-Murderer's-visit's state of the room or the post-Murderer's-visit's version (assuming A can detect the type of weapon that was dumped)? Are the players actions real-time-sensitive? Are PMs from the GM to the players sent only at the end of the Night phrase?

Well they can choose who, but they'd have to know where they are. But yeah basically what you said, as far as what they can choose, they'd be targeting the occupant of a room rather than an individual. I'm not sure yet what mechanic to use to determine how the killer can know where people are, it'd be nice to have some strategy to that as well so the murderer must gather information about where people will be.

How about giving the Murderer a PM with the positions of all the characters after they've sent in their Night Actions? Say the murderer has installed hidden CCTVs in every room, or only along the corridors so he can tell who's in which room but not what's inside each room. Like Danganronpa, hm? You can give the murderer some oversight powers.

The murderer will basically move last. So the murder will be committed just as all the innocents finish their investigations and return to their rooms - the unlucky target will be hit before they can leave their chosen room. As such, any findings will be pre-murderer.

The thing is I'm not sure if it ruins some of the challenge for the murderer to know where everyone is. I think what I'll do is allow the murderer to select one player to "ghost" for the night, allowing them to follow that player to see what room they investigate. Additionally, the room the murderer chooses to investigate (not the one the murder necessarily takes place in) will also reveal who was/is there.

I've added the player list to the first post here. Some people may have expressed interest before we decided to put signups in place here, so I would ask those people to please register their intent to sign up here now, so that I can be sure they are ready for the game to begin soon. I'll allow about 2 days from now for the signups (this will give me time to make sure the concise writeups are okay as well, I'll gradually build up the actual game thread and people can mention if there's any rules or such which they don't understand, before we kick off the actual game).

If I understand correctly, players in the Mafia games weren't allowed to discuss the game outside of the thread. But for this game, I wonder if you'll want to allow certain players to be able to communicate with one other player (and only just that one) via PMs? It'll add a layer of intrigue since these characters can make back-room deals and coordinate their night-time investigations without revealing their intentions to everyone else (especially the murderer).

After all, the characters in these Victorian mysteries often have some kind of prior relationships to each other, don't they? Surely a husband and wife couple will have their own private conversations, for example. In such cases, it's also possible that the husband is the murderer and the wife unwittingly supplies him with information while believing in his innocence.

That's a rather nice idea actually. I'll pair characters up with varying links.

Also guys one important matter I'm not sure where to go with. I said a failed accusation by the group results in a free kill to the murderer, but I don't think those stakes are high enough still. I'm considering the idea that the group only gets to make a single accusation in the game, so they will have to be absolutely as certain as they can be. The game would end when the accusation is voted for, one way or another.

EDIT:

I'm putting the main game thread up now, in its unfinished state. It's mostly done, especially the rules and the things players will actually be doing each day/night, so it may prove a useful read if this thread was too disorganized to understand things fully. Any questions/suggestions should still be placed in here.