Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DayDreamer

Murder Mystery game [signup here]

96 posts in this topic

I'll host a game after Timey. At the moment I only have a concept and will need quite some time to work on the mechanics. The Star Wars game drained me .____.

Oh, another thing just occurred to me. We can find out each other's Traits by conversing, but what about Capabilities? For example, how does Monsieur Malheure know that granny over there isn't dumber and faster than she looks? Will these be public knowledge at the start or…?

While designing my version of Murder Mystery I encountered a possible problem. What if the murderer's target knows he's a target and does nothing during the Night Phases, never coming out to Investigate anything? It's impossible for the murderer to win in that case.

While designing my version of Murder Mystery I encountered a possible problem. What if the murderer's target knows he's a target and does nothing during the Night Phases, never coming out to Investigate anything? It's impossible for the murderer to win in that case.

There are multiple targets the murderer can go for. And even if all the targets hole up in the guest room, the murderer can wait them out. Afterward, no one leaves Bank Mansion unless the murderer is caught. The murderer won't win, but he won't lose either if he plays the waiting game.

Already made it a rule they must go check a room. The whole "no murders in the guest bedrooms" thing is just to explain IC why the murders will all take place in elsewhere.

If people just are too busy and don't make their choice in time, I'll let that happen perhaps once, but after that the person may be removed from the game - it's really not that much work to just pm me a random room within 24 hours.

How many different people can you Converse with within the same day? Is it unlimited?

I assume it's one. I'm not sure if DD meant to word it in a way that you're allowed to do those actions as often as you wish, but I assumed that you're allowed to do every action only once.

Oh, another thing just occurred to me. We can find out each other's Traits by conversing, but what about Capabilities? For example, how does Monsieur Malheure know that granny over there isn't dumber and faster than she looks? Will these be public knowledge at the start or…?

I'm going to make them known at the start. There may be other ways to do it, but for this test run I think this will work best mechanically - this allows all innocents to theorize about suspects based on the murder weapon and other people's known Capabilities. If there's another layer of finding out people's Capabilities, it may become too hard for the innocents to get any leads.

I assume it's one. I'm not sure if DD meant to word it in a way that you're allowed to do those actions as often as you wish, but I assumed that you're allowed to do every action only once.

Oh, yes only one. I'll review my wording on that part. Also bear in mind the trait exchange goes both ways, so if two people choose to Converse with one another, they'll both end up with 2 traits discovered of the other person. Coupled with people then being able to publicly share their discoveries, a one per day limit seems about right

Okay the main game thread is pretty much done. All that's left is to make up and assign the characters. I'll be kicking the game off in about 24 hours.

Just a quick question, what if both person A and B go to the kitchen and the murderer kills person A, would person B immediately know?

For the purposes of the game, it will be assumed no two people carry out their actions at the exact same time, aside from the Murderer and his victim. So if two people investigate the same room and the murderer chooses to kill one of them, then the non-target will be assumed to have checked the room and left, before the actual target person arrives to take their turn checking the room, and then the murderer arrives to kill them.

Ah ok I see, and will it be revealed which stats are needed to use certain items?

Or do we have to guess?

For example if someone is killed by a knife, will it be said like 'for a knife you need a minimal of medium strength and medium intelligence'?

or could the murderer create some elaborate trap which required him to use less strength than he has, then remove the trap to make it look like he used more strength than he has?

That's the idea, I think. DD's example was to use sleeping pills first, then strangle the victim such that you bypass the Strength requirement for strangling and can trick others into thinking that you're stronger than you actually are.

Yes items, when discovered, will indicate what their requirements are.

And yes, the murderer can trick people by for instance drugging someone with sleeping pills (requires intellect to trick them into taking them), then strangling them (would require more strength than the target - except in this case an unconscious target requires no particular strength)

Is it too late to sign up for this?

It's cool if it is, I'll wait for the next one.

For you, yes it is too late >: (

(Not it probably isn't. Welcome aboard!)

Do we prohibit players from revealing their own Traits to everyone? I remember reading in the previous Mafia game that it might become a rule going forth, but the game works differently now. There are definite risks in revealing your own traits after all.

Can non-murderer characters pick up objects and pass them to other players? I'd pick up all the drugs I can if only to deny them to the murderer. And shuffle them among other players. =D

I think revealing traits should be done only via Conversing. Even if there is significant risk in revealing your own, it still bypasses game mechanics and ruins a bit of the fun. Of course it is up to DD.

Okay well you are the last one, I'm getting ready to start it momentarily. I've removed the whole part about "traits" because I'm finding this complicated enough already, and with enough of a chance of going horribly wrong already, that it's better to keep it simpler. If things work out that system can be added next time.

I'll post again in the actual main thread to bump it when its open, and then people can start posting freely.