DayDreamer

Murder Mystery [Game Over]

137 posts in this topic

"The truth will narrow the field dramatically, and if you lie, you will be found out eventually." Mr. Valentino said, musing on his own words, "If you choose not to share information, you are not necessarily guilty, there are many reasons not to share information, Mr. McEth, bear in mind, that if Miss Noir reveals she had the blowtorch then all of this kicks off whether she's innocent or not, and its as good an item as any for her to take, I suppose." Some of this wasn't adding up, on either end however, "But to say she's completely innocent, would be a mistake, as regardless, as an innocent, whether you were in the Billiard's room or not, you should say you were."

Mr. Valentino's eyebrows rose suddenly, "Actually, I wonder - I think there could be a sure-fire way of narrowing this down, unless I have misunderstood something. I've noticed, that when multiple people investigate the same room, they are made aware of one another. Now if Miss Noir investigated the room where the murder took place, and if anyone else did but choose not to mention it, it doesn't matter. Anyone who was still alive and visited the Billiards Room will know who else was there when the murder took place. So say, for argument's sake, it was Mr. Buckfum, Miss Noir and Mr. McEth all in the Billiards Room, and one of them was the murderer, and one of them got killed by the murderer. There should still be another person who is innocent and can come forwards to confirm their presence. If everyone shares their details of their investigation TODAY then we would be able to tell how many other people were in that room when the murder took place and who they were."

"Furthermore," Mr. Valentino continued, taking a puff of his cigar, "If the murderer thinks they can avoid detection by lying about where they investigated, then they would be found out soon after, so we don't need to target anyone immediately, just find out who is lying. If the murderer lies, then they will soon be found out after getting tripped up, and if they don't lie, then they will also be found out because we can ascertain their identity based on which rooms they shared. Isn't that true?" He asked, raising an eyebrow as smoke wafted from his lips.

"All... all this yappin' and jappin' and pappin's making me HUNGRY!!! Where's that Rock I found in the Garden last night?! I'm pretty sure it was lying around between the Woodaxe and the Lawnmower. And what's up down left with Misterus Valentinople?! WHY MUST I CONVERSE WITH HIM!!!??"

"I vote for Valentino to be Searched. All this talking is making my head hurt."

"I don't think I get you, Mr Valentino...

I've noticed, that when multiple people investigate the same room, they are made aware of one another. 

I'm pretty sure we're only made aware of each others' whereabouts after we gather in the agreed room to share our findings. Ms Painelope and I both checked the Billiards Room last night, but we weren't aware of us crossing paths only till now."

"Either way... we have all 6 items in the Garden now. Baseball Bat, Hedge Trimmers, Shovel, RockLawnmowerand the Woodaxe. Looks like there's no need to gather in the Garden anymore, since Mr McEth and Mr Octavius found everything."

"Well, well, well" Mr Buckfum began, as he lit one of his cheap cigars. "This is all a lot to take in. It's too complex. All this yapping, and not enough clothes coming off. No, this would make a terrible movie. All the same I took the opportunity last night to do some Laundry. While I was in there I found Washing Powder, Iron and Clothesline Wire. "

"Also after talking with Mr Valentino yesterday I discovered that he had Above Average Dexterity" Buckfum continued, smoke billowing around his short, chubby form. "As for his surprise about my above average intelligence? Sex sells, my friend, it doesn't take a genius to know that. I might have a Phd but who wants to live on a teacher's salary? Not me, that's for sure. At any rate I feel like you guys are all making this a little complicated. Stop coming up with detailed, convoluted theories before you have all the fax. What is it? Did the murderer lie? Or is he/she telling the truth to bluff you? Or maybe the murderer lied about telling the truth to avoid being caught up in his lies? Give me a break. Settle down and let's wait for more evidence to transpire."

Buckfum sauntered up to Mr Bleckingham and nudged him gently on the shoulder, offering to converse with him. "What's with these guys, hm? Itchy trigger fingers if you ask me."

"Alright, well then let's search me then. I vote to search me, the impeccably dressed Mr. Valentino. It's a waste, but I have nothing to hide." He shrugged his shoulders, slouched into a nearby armchair and took a drag of his cigar, watching the smoke waft around.

"There's no longer any point in searching Mr Valentino once Miss Noir confirmed his x/5 finding. I initially suggested that we search him because I was teary-eyed from all the sneezing and didn't notice in the sheet that Innocents could remove items from the rooms too. Miss Noir and Mr Valentino's testimonies check out." McEth dabbed sorrowfully at the corner of his eyes with his trusty hanky.

"However, this means that we still don't know which room the murderer removed the Blowtorch from. There must be another x/5 room right now, because that room's missing the Blowtorch or, if the Blowtorch was the murderer's personal item, an unknown item. As of now, Mr Bleckingham and Mr Orad have yet to report their findings from the previous night. But if you'll look at this chart…"

McEth produced a mostly unused serviette from his pocket:

8QiFrh7.png

"Assuming that Miss Noir is innocent, I believe that another one of these rooms became a x/5 after N1 when the Murderer removed an item from it. I recommend that we make it our top priority to find out which room this is during N3 tonight, before the murderer gets a chance to remedy the x/5 room into an x/6 by leaving his/her remaining item there. I'm operating under the assumption that the murderer did not lie about the room he/she investigated in N1; this means that  the room with x/5, when we've found it, is where the murderer removed an item from in N1."

"Of course, this means that anyone else who has removed anything from the rooms during N1 or N2 must come clean now so risk being implicated if we find out afterwards." McEth eyed everyone with the best steely gaze he could muster.

"In the same line of reasoning, I recommend that we split up, coordinate our search and cover the Bathroom, Garage, Groundskeeper's Shed, Study, and Library tonight. Keep an eye out for anything missing (x/5)."

Whoa guys, lot's of going on here. I'm still not sure what to think of all this.

Although I still am suspicious of Val, Noir and McEth.

Anyway, I can confirm the following items in the garden:

Woodaxe

Lawn Mower

Shovel

Also, I'd like to add that McEth is of Above Average Dexterity.

Tonight I'd like to converse with Noir.

"I highly doubt a blowtorch would belong in a Study, Library, or a Bathroom, even. It'd probably be good to meet in the Groundskeeper's Shed tomorrow and give it our most thorough check. The rest could be investigated during the night, like what Mr McEth is proposing."

ooc: Where's the murder item exactly? In the kitchen or still chilling in someone's inventory? the RPing aspect made it kinda seem like its already set down in the kitchen.

Just a little update, with 6 hours left in the day. There were 3 of a necessary 5 votes to search Mr Valentino, although I assume McEth intends to withdraw his. There has been only one vote for tomorrow's meeting place, the Groundskeeper's Shed, so that will be the meeting place at this stage.

Oh, I understand what you're asking now Noia. A murder item that is attempted to be planted on someone will end up in that person's inventory either way. The only uncertain factor is whether the person realizes it or not. In the case of the planting failing, the person is told that the item has been put on them, so they can thus reveal that. It remains in their inventory.

Ahh alright, thanks Day. Looks like the blowtorch's going back into Noir's inventory, instead of the murderer's. There's no point Searching anyone for now then.

"Above average dexterity? I suppose it's true I have many pockets to manage. I'll vote for the Groundskeeper's Shed to be searched as well." McEth felt down his pockets for emphasis.

"Furthermore, we're short of time. I'd like to converse with Mr Orad instead since I feel we don't know enough about him yet.

• Mr Valentino has ABV AVG Dexterity / AVG Intelligence.
  • Miss Noir has AVG Intelligence.
  • BG Bleckingham has AVG Dexterity.
  • Miss Painelope has AVG Dexterity.
  • Miss Nikita has AVG Intelligence (I made a mistake with the earlier collation by indicating that she has AVG Dex instead of Int)
  • Mr Grumpypants has ABV AVG Strength.
  • Mr Octavius has AVG Dexterity / Abv Avg Int
  • Mr Buckfum has Abv Avg Int
  • Mr Orad has ???
  • Mr McEth has Abv Avg Dexterity

"There's no real strategic purpose in conversing with Mr Valentino and Mr Octavius now since we can assume they have Low Str. But if the ladies insist, then I shan't comment on their… taste." McEth eyed Mr Octavius with mild amusement.

Producing another slightly crumpled piece of serviette from somewhere, McEth continued, "You're not obliged to listen to me, but I propose that we split up to search the rooms tonight as follows:

• Mr Valentino - Library.
  • Miss Noir - Study
  • BG Bleckingham - Study
  • Miss Painelope -  Dining Room
  • Miss Nikita - Bathroom 
  • Mr Grumpypants - Garage
  • Mr Octavius - Groundskeeper's Shed
  • Mr Buckfum - Laundry 
  • Mr Orad - Library
  • Mr McEth - Dining Room

This should allow us to cover the rooms that weren't searched after the murder of Miss Featherbottoms. I've also asked those who had searched certain rooms already to repeat their own so we increase our chances of finding items we haven't yet found. The only exception are Miss Noir, Mr Valentino and I. The three of us will investigate new rooms and are paired with someone else. In the case that any one of us is the murderer, our movements are restricted as we'll have to collaborate our findings with our partners'."

OOC: Uh, how do I change my font color?

ooc: Click the icon on the left of the emoticon button!

"Won't this be the equivalent of pasting huge exclamation marks on our foreheads?" Noir rubbed her temples, expressing her uncertainty. "If everyone followed this arrangement, the Murderer would be able to simply consult this list and pick off whoever he or she wants to kill off. The information sheet said the Murderer can stalk, kill off a player, then investigate a room if he/she wishes, anyway. This arrangement just makes the job easier, since it pretty much did the 'stalking' process for him/her."

"And it's easy to lie about items in rooms now, since most of the items in the rooms are already covered. For example, there's still one unknown item in the Janitor's Room, despite being searched twice by both Mr Valentino and me. The murderer could just rehash the same findings we found last night and no one can say anything about it. "

"I believe we should be keeping an eye on people with average to above average Dexterity too, instead of Strength. The blowtorch was a green item, after all."

McEth rubbed his eyes wearily.

"The murderer knows who his/her targets are and is able to stalk one of them every night. Even if he/she knows where we're going to search, how is that going to change what he/she was already going to do? Miss Featherbottoms didn't even know herself which room she was going to visit but was murdered anyway. Even if he/she no longer has to stalk someone, it'll not be as though he/she gets to do something else."

"What we might want to do is to improve the efficiency at which we uncover information! If the murderer removes an item from a room tonight, we should strive to know which room is it the next night. The job of the murderer won't be made any easier than it already is; regardless of how we act, he or she'll still stalk a target, investigate a room (and we won't know which one) and then kill the target. We'll always be one step behind the murderer as it is. Let's not fall back any further behind."

He stroked his chin thoughtfully as he wondered out aloud, "Can the murderer lie? Yes, he/she will always be able to do so. But when he/she does, it opens him/her up to the risk of having the bluff called during the next round of night-time investigation. However, we can only call his/her bluff when everyone sticks to the plan and we have a complete picture of the situation. That way, we'll know if the murderer doesn't do as told."

"One last thing, when you search your respective rooms tonight, I beseech all of you to exercise your one-time option to remove a Dexterity-based item from it. That way, we'll limit the murderer to using items that will reveal his Intelligence or Strength.*"

The third day has come to a close. Everyone wanders off to their rooms, later to investigate their personal choices. In the morning, the group shall meet up once again in the Groundskeeper's Shed, and find out who, if any, of them is missing.

<converse results will be PMed now. The Night phase will end in 48 hours or after everyone has chosen their investigation rooms and the Murderer has struck - please PM me which room you wish to investigate.>

Morning comes and everyone gathers in the Groundskeeper's Shed as agreed the previous day.

The Groundskeeper's Shed contains:

Fertilizer

Nails

Nailgun

Chainsaw

Pickaxe

Hammer

It seems that one of your number has not turned up to the meeting today - Mr McEth is nowhere to be seen. You find him on the floor in the Dining Room, his cup of coffee on the floor in pieces beside him - all the coffee in the world won't wake him up now. There are no visible signs of injury, however investigation of his mouth reveals that there is a Crocodile Tooth lodged in his throat - he appears to have choked to death on it. This is not native to the mansion - it must be the killer's personal item!

--

Once again, the gathered guests can Converse with one another, vote to Search someone or Accuse someone, and share any information they gathered during the night.

Guests should also Vote on what room they wish to meet again in tomorrow.

EDIT:

Also forgot again. McEth was a target! Only 3 targets remain before the murderer is victorious.

"I was in the Groundkeeper's Shed last night, so I have nothing to tell you that hasn't already been said. I also didn't converse with anyone, because I was being an anti social bitch, so I have nothing to give there either. I'm so helpful!"

"Something BORING came up last night!! Or was it last morning? I can't tell with all these dastardly clocks. There were only THREE OUT OF FIVE FISHES IN THE SMELLY GARAGE!?! There was the Full Metal Can and the Funnel and the Wrench and the something and something... I CAN'T REMEMBER ANYMORE!!!"

“With the McEth gone there’s finally some peace and quiet here. I can finally start thinking. All that damn coughing.†Grumpypants leaned against the wall and folded his arms. “Listen up, idiots. To solve this case we have to operate on two different assumptions. “

“Ahum. Assumption number one! The Blowtorch was taken from the Janitor’s Room. This would make Noir our prime suspect. That lazy Mexican Valentino has confirmed that there were 5 out of 6 items left in the JR on Day Two, so the only person who visited the JR on Day One has to have taken something. The Blowtorch, perhaps? Anyway. By cross referencing items found throughout the course of the first day a lot of you people have gotten double confirmations. The only people without double confirmations on our activities during the first night are Noir, Bleckingham and myself.â€

“I said that Noir was my prime suspect, but she claims that the JR only had 5 items because she took the Ammonium. I have no idea why she did that, but we can easily prove whether she is telling to truth by searching her. So I hereby vote that we search Noir. If we find nothing, she is the killer, but if we find the Ammonium that would prove her innocence. She could have tricked us and picked up both the Ammonium and the Blowtorch, but that would mean that Valentina… sorry, I meant Valentino… would have found four items instead of the five he reported.â€

“Next is Bleckingham. I suspect Bleckingham because no one else investigated the Dining Room, so no one confirmed his findings. Frankly he could be talking out of his ass. I don’t trust people with such well-kept mustaches. Confirming Bleckingham’s innocence is easy enough. We simply meet in the Dining Room tomorrow.â€

“Assumption number two! Our group’s dunce seemed to have found something interesting last night. For some reason he found himself in the garage and managed to discover that there were five (5, comprende?) items instead of the promised six. A Blowtorch (in case you have shitty memory, it’s the murder weapon) could just as easily been found in the Garage. That would make the possible suspects Bleckingham, Orad, Painelope and once again myself.â€

“Bleckingham’s innocence can still be proven in the same way. My innocence can be proven by meeting up in the library tomorrow, but I’d recommend we not waste time and head for the Dining Room. The innocence of Painelope and Orad is a lot harder to prove however. Both of them had the exact same opportunity to take an item from the Garage in order to commit a murder on the first day.â€

“For now I’d say we search Noir and meet up in the Dining Room. This way we can eliminate two people from our list of suspects. If afterwards you wish to investigate me, simply meet up in the Library to receive double confirmation on my findings. I assure you that I did not find a Blowtorch in the Library. Whatever idiot put a Blowtorch in a Library should be fired.â€

EDIT: "Also keep in mind that the longer wait the bigger the chance that the killer can ruin our means of proving all the suspects' innocence. So act fast and quit holding me back. I want to win this game, go home and watch So You Think You Can Dance. I already missed enough episodes of that."

Edited by Seanzilla
1 person likes this

"I don't mind. Consider my votes added to Mr Grumpypants' proposal. In any case, I searched the study, just like what the late Mr McEth had laid out in his plan... unlike a certain someone we have here. I'm pretty sure you were aware we were all going to search the shed today , but I guess you had your... reasons, Ms Painelope. Well. Either way. The study contained 6 items, 3 of which were : 

Handgun

Laptop

Safe Box."

"Just to summarize, I'm casting my vote to search myself and also meet up in the dining room tomorrow. I'd like to talk to Mr Orad, too. Might as well."

"Yes, I agree. We have no information on Orad. We should try to discover his Dexterity so we might rule him out. Sadly for Painelope it was already confirmed that she has sufficient Dexterity to wield the Blowtorch. I'll also converse with Orad."

Hmm, I see your reasoning and agree to search Noir and meet in the dining room.

But I wonder if the murderer couldn't have lied about where he/she went?

If not I'd like to converse with Painelope.

Also, the libary contains:

Candlestick

Inkwell

World Globe

"Yes, duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. But cross reference this list with this http://i.imgur.com/8QiFrh7.png. If either of my assumptions are correct the killer had to spend the first Night at the JR or the Garage. Plenty of people have confirmed items found by others in the rooms. This doesn't mean they are innocent, it simply means that at this time I have no reason to suspect them as much as I suspect the peopel I listed."

"The only people who are 100% innocent are Octavius (group action 2 confirmed his Night 1 findings) and Buckfum (group action 3 confirmed his Night 1 findings). It is also very unlikely that Val is the killer, since Noir confirmed his Night 1 findings during Night 3. On the other hand we have Nikita. I am assuming she's innocent due to her double confirmation with McEth, but she could just as easily have picked 2 of the items he listed and then added a third fictional one (the Sleeping Pills). Noir could've done the exact same thing during her Night 3 by picking 2 items Val listed and adding a third fictional one, however Noir's innocence is easily proven by searching her. To prove Nikita's innocence we'd have to examine the Bathroom as a group."

Bleckingham had found Fork, Candlestick, and Tablecloth in the diningroom, the night he searched it. Last night, I discovered SpoonKnifeCandlestick. All six items remain in the diningroom. We have found 5/6. 

I would like to converse with Sean.