Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seanzilla

CLOSED A: Dungeon Master Online Episode 1

248 posts in this topic

Dungeon Master Online

In the year 2018 Virtual Reality technology has finally become a reality. By 2023 VR-Helmets became widespread, nearly every teenager in the world owned one, and 2025 marked the release of the first videogame that fully utilized the VRH.

MMO developers quickly hoped onto what would be next big development in the MMO market. The world’s very first VRH MMO, Dungeon Crawler Online, was released in 2030. The game had its faults, but the novelty of playing an MMO using the VRH made it extremely popular.

The DCO formula was copied and improved upon by many companies, but none of them managed to capture the magic of DCO, until the developers of DCO decided to release a sequel to the game.

Dungeon Master Online was announced on the 10 year anniversary of DCO, in 2040, and it immediately went into Closed Beta. The major improvements made in the VR technology over the past 10 years allowed the developers, Sandstorm Entertainment, to create an even better game.

After a year of intense Beta Testing, it was finally time to release DMO to the public! As expected millions worldwide purchased the game on its release date and rushed home to play the sequel to their favourite MMO. The sequel was released alongside a brand new, super advanced VRH called the VRH-X.

However, minutes after logging in for the first time the millions of players realized that they were unable to log out! This caused mass panic among the players.

What the hell is going on!?

Background

First of all: this game is heavily influenced by .hack, SAO, Log Horizon and similar stories. The idea of being trapped in a digital world was always fascinating and by making this RP set in an online DnD world the game can be very Meta, which makes it easier for me to create NPCs specifically to guide you (since this is more than likely your first time playing DnD).

Player Characters will be people playing a High Fantasy MMO called Dungeon Master Online. Yes the name is intentionally dumb as shit. These players are all stuck in an online world with no means of being safely disconnecting (being pulled out of the VRH-X without shutting it down properly fries their brains).

It was quickly revealed that dying in this game also makes the VRH-X fry their brain, leading to their death in the real world. Now fully aware of how dangerous their situation really is the players have to find a way to escape this digital world!

The world of DMO is hyper realistic. Every NPC has been programmed with sophisticated AI to accurately replicate human behavior; they are even able to hold conversations with PCs. Time and weather work exactly the same way as they do in the real world. PCs get hungry and tired and have to eat and rest in order to operate optimally.

Meanwhile in the real world the millions of DMO players were moved to several hospitals. This way doctors could oversee them while they are stuck in the game and make sure that the players don’t do in real life due to malnourishment or any other cause.

Sandstorm Entertainment, however, has vanished without a trace. All its employees were either found dead or not found at all. No one knows who has done this, but many suspect the Director (Robert Morhaime) to have been behind this.

Game Type

The RP will be run with Dungeons and Dragons 4E rules. This RP will be closed at a max of 5 PCs, if any of these PCs drop out during the campaign, others may take their place. Ideally this 5 man party would consist of a Defender, a Leader, two Strikers and a Controller. (EDIT: Actually, we could have a 6th PC. Would make the first campaign easy, so I'd have to tune it up a bit, but it shouldn't be a probem.)

Remember, if you're joining this RP it's expected that you either participate until the end of an Adventure or find a way to drop your character from the story.

Create a character sheet here, feel free to use the character creation and basic D&DG guide here. If you need help creating a character, feel free to PM me. When creating your character you should follow the standard rules of DnD. Ability scores will be generated using method 2:

Method 2, Customized: again you are given 6 numbers; 8, 10, 10, 10, 10 and 10, and 22 extra points you are free to divide among the stats. Depending on how your stats are, the points per score ratio could increase. For example: Raising a stat from 10 to 13 costs 3 points (1 point per score), but raising it an extra level to 14 costs 2 extra points. A table with the costs will be added to the bottom.

I won’t be using a board for this RP, since it is supposed to be text based, but I will provide you with a map of the areas you’re exploring and during encounters I’ll provide you with a map with the layout of the battlefield, your position and the positions of the enemy. You don’t have to strictly abide by your characters speed score, but use it as a point of reference when it comes to how far your PC can get in one turn.

Player Characters

Group A:

• Wahad (Cha'ac, Warden, Defender)
  • Noia (Iris, Cleric, Leader)
  • DayDreamer (Solitude, Rogue, Striker)
  • DragonGuard (Amroth, Ranger, Striker)
  • TriOctium (Quarius, Wizard, Controller)

Non-Player Characters

Quests

• Kill the Goblins in the Dwarvan goldmine.
    - Find the remains of the 4 adventurers.
  • Kill the bandits in the Silver Keep.
    - Find the signet ring and deliver it to Valthrun.
    or
    - Find the signet ring and deliver it to Ernest Padraig.

• -
  • -

Changelog

1 person likes this

I am in this so hard that whomsoever can pull next Excalibur Arthur king blah blah etc

Oh yeah, if anyone wants to play a character of a certain role it'd be best to announce it asap to prevent us from having 5 people who want to play a Defender.

EDIT: Also important: something I forgot to add:

Create a character sheet here, feel free to use the character creation and basic D&DG guide here. If you need help creating a character, feel free to PM me. When creating your character you should follow the standard rules of DnD. Ability scores will be generated using method 2:

Method 2, Customized: again you are given 6 numbers; 8, 10, 10, 10, 10 and 10, and 22 extra points you are free to divide among the stats. Depending on how your stats are, the points per score ratio could increase. For example: Raising a stat from 10 to 13 costs 3 points (1 point per score), but raising it an extra level to 14 costs 2 extra points. A table with the costs will be added to the bottom.

Edited by Seanzilla

Oh Sanzi why are your DnD ideas so good

1 person likes this

(I am going to take that as "SIGN ME UP SANZI")

(Also, I am kind of a big deal)

That's because Wizard can do everything. Playing as one opens up so many possibilities.

At least I'm not playing an Elemental Spellsword who can teleport twenty paces across the map and smite enemies for 3d6+10 damage at level 1 (or something along those lines).

Oh god I just read the NPC character Sean linked in the first post, and I almost died laughing when I read a particular typo within it:

Despite being condescending, his years of experience as an MMO and status as Closed Beta tester make him more knowledgeable than most other players.

Anyway OT I'm constructing a character presently, gonna be a Rogue.

Is it just me or does it seem to you too that Faeron is basically Kirito?

I thought it was more like Sean, especially the part about

Faeron's player is stuck between being a dick and being helpful

I thought it was more like Sean, especially the part about

Faeron's player is a dick

Corrected that for ya.

I'll join!!!! D: D: D: D: don't start without me~!!!!

....well then, now I can read the rules and regulations in peace.

DD are you getting Dungeoneering or Nature? I'll pick the other one.

DD are you getting Dungeoneering or Nature? I'll pick the other one.

I picked neither of them, although only Dungeoneering training is available to Rogues, not Nature.

I'll...play? I guess? Is it okay if I use the regular character builder? I know that means I have a leg up on other people but I guess I can restrict it to just PHB1 options only if you prefer.

Go ahead, I don't really mind. I just restricted it to PHB1 to make it easier to guide people who're new to the game. If you know what you're doing feel free to do whatever you want.

Alright, I'll take up a Barbarian (striker) Warden (defender) then.

Background;

The player known as Cha'ac in-game was one of Sandstorm Entertainment's most devoted fans. Part of one of the biggest, most famous guilds in DCO, and even garnered some e-fame for himself when he came up with a strategy to uplift what people previously thought was one of the most underpowered prestige classes, the Marauder, into dungeon-mandatory. He knew DCO inside out, and with all the hype building for DMO, he started theorycrafting well before the game was out at all. As thanks for his loyalty, Sandstorm entertainment gave him - as well as certain others - Prime access, which (people thought) meant access to classes and races that were scheduled to be released in expansion packs well before those were even announced. Being a true fan, he took advantage of it immediately.

But now locked in the game, he feels betrayed. For years he idealized SE's game. And now this is how they repay him? Their mistake. He knows this game - and he's damn well going to turn it inside out if that is what it takes.

I'll probably start the RPG Friday or something, so those of you still busy, take your time.

EDIT: Also start thinking of how your characters know each other and why they decided to group up.

Also DD add 2 Armor to the Armor Bonus slot on the lower left corner of Quick Look. I forgot to add this part to my tutorial.