Seanzilla

CLOSED B: Dungeon Master Online Episode 1

22 posts in this topic

Dungeon Master Online

In the year 2018 Virtual Reality technology has finally become a reality. By 2023 VR-Helmets became widespread, nearly every teenager in the world owned one, and 2025 marked the release of the first videogame that fully utilized the VRH.

MMO developers quickly hoped onto what would be next big development in the MMO market. The world’s very first VRH MMO, Dungeon Crawler Online, was released in 2030. The game had its faults, but the novelty of playing an MMO using the VRH made it extremely popular.

The DCO formula was copied and improved upon by many companies, but none of them managed to capture the magic of DCO, until the developers of DCO decided to release a sequel to the game.

Dungeon Master Online was announced on the 10 year anniversary of DCO, in 2040, and it immediately went into Closed Beta. The major improvements made in the VR technology over the past 10 years allowed the developers, Sandstorm Entertainment, to create an even better game.

After a year of intense Beta Testing, it was finally time to release DMO to the public! As expected millions worldwide purchased the game on its release date and rushed home to play the sequel to their favourite MMO. The sequel was released alongside a brand new, super advanced VRH called the VRH-X.

However, minutes after logging in for the first time the millions of players realized that they were unable to log out! This caused mass panic among the players.

What the hell is going on!?

Background

First of all: this game is heavily influenced by .hack, SAO, Log Horizon and similar stories. The idea of being trapped in a digital world was always fascinating and by making this RP set in an online DnD world the game can be very Meta, which makes it easier for me to create NPCs specifically to guide you (since this is more than likely your first time playing DnD).

Player Characters will be people playing a High Fantasy MMO called Dungeon Master Online. Yes the name is intentionally dumb as shit. These players are all stuck in an online world with no means of being safely disconnecting (being pulled out of the VRH-X without shutting it down properly fries their brains).

It was quickly revealed that dying in this game also makes the VRH-X fry their brain, leading to their death in the real world. Now fully aware of how dangerous their situation really is the players have to find a way to escape this digital world!

The world of DMO is hyper realistic. Every NPC has been programmed with sophisticated AI to accurately replicate human behavior; they are even able to hold conversations with PCs. Time and weather work exactly the same way as they do in the real world. PCs get hungry and tired and have to eat and rest in order to operate optimally.

Meanwhile in the real world the millions of DMO players were moved to several hospitals. This way doctors could oversee them while they are stuck in the game and make sure that the players don’t do in real life due to malnourishment or any other cause.

Sandstorm Entertainment, however, has vanished without a trace. All its employees were either found dead or not found at all. No one knows who has done this, but many suspect the Director (Robert Morhaime) to have been behind this.

Game Type

The RP will be run with Dungeons and Dragons 4E rules. This RP will be closed at a max of 5 PCs, if any of these PCs drop out during the campaign, others may take their place. Ideally this 5 man party would consist of a Defender, a Leader, two Strikers and a Controller. (EDIT: Actually, we could have a 6th PC. Would make the first campaign easy, so I'd have to tune it up a bit, but it shouldn't be a probem.)

Remember, if you're joining this RP it's expected that you either participate until the end of an Adventure or find a way to drop your character from the story.

Create a character sheet here, feel free to use the character creation and basic D&DG guide here. If you need help creating a character, feel free to PM me. When creating your character you should follow the standard rules of DnD. Ability scores will be generated using method 2:

Method 2, Customized: again you are given 6 numbers; 8, 10, 10, 10, 10 and 10, and 22 extra points you are free to divide among the stats. Depending on how your stats are, the points per score ratio could increase. For example: Raising a stat from 10 to 13 costs 3 points (1 point per score), but raising it an extra level to 14 costs 2 extra points. A table with the costs will be added to the bottom.

I won’t be using a board for this RP, since it is supposed to be text based, but I will provide you with a map of the areas you’re exploring and during encounters I’ll provide you with a map with the layout of the battlefield, your position and the positions of the enemy. You don’t have to strictly abide by your characters speed score, but use it as a point of reference when it comes to how far your PC can get in one turn.

Player Characters

Group B:

• rubberrazors (Jemi, Fighter, Defender)
  • Kyo (Bhaskan, Warlord, Leader)
  • Val (Ash, Rogue, Striker)
  • DemonicGate (Serafinn, Sorcerer, Striker)
  • Asura (Cha'tril, Binder, Controller)

Non-Player Characters

Quests

• Kill the Goblins in the Dwarvan goldmine.
    - Find the remains of the 4 adventurers.
  • Kill the bandits in the Silver Keep.
    - Find the signet ring and deliver it to Valthrun.
    or
    - Find the signet ring and deliver it to Ernest Padraig.

Maps

Major Events

•  
  • -

Changelog

Okay officially getting my butt in gear and doing this character sheet as of right now. Watch this space. 

I'm pretty much done with my character (with a lot of assistance from bean). I'm waiting for more discussion before I expand my background info unless that was made in the other thread in which case I'm still going through it.

For now we'll be using http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm for rolls. Simply input all the data and then copy paste the results in this thread. Example: I want to do an Attack and Damage roll for a basic attack with Faeron. I'd simply input +6 at the D20 and +3 at the D8 and roll them both. Results are:

Roll(1d8)+3:

5,+3
Total:8

Roll(1d20)+6:
9,+6
Total:15

This system isn't perfect, since everyone could cheat if they wanted to, but the first adventure is easy enough to complete even without cheating, so I'll just trust everyone not to! S*T will have it's own roll system eventually.

Out of combat actions that require me to react as an NPC can be handled 2 ways:

1: You post your action in the RP and I'll post a reply.
2: You post your action here (or on Skype), I tell you the reply and you integrate it into your post.

I'd prefer method 2 for long conversations as that would avoid us having to post 1 sentence replies in the RPG.

When performing Skill checks, post the action you would like to take and the dice roll in this thread (or again on Skype), I'll tell you the result of your actions and then you can post your reply in the RPG.

What do you want to do?

get out, this ain't yo thread!

no but seriously stick around, have a soda. 

Rolling for Diplomacy on Ellian. 

Roll(1d20)+8:
8,+8
Total:16

just for record keeping or something *shrug*

Rolled for intimidation while asking Faeron questions-

Roll 1d20+0 (no applicable modifier)

Roll was 19!

All encounter maps will be displayed on Roll20.

All you have to do is create an account and you'll be able to join the campaign and watch the encounter maps in real time.

I'll post it here for Kyo and Anna in case you don't have access to Skype.

You guys have to vote for a quest. Currently there are 2 votes for the Mines and 1 vote for the Keep. Feel free to vote in this thread.

Done. The Golden Group has been moved to the Mines :D

Sharpshooter
Roll(1d20)+5:
20,+5
Total:25

Warrior
Roll(1d20)+5:
10,+5

Blackblade
Roll(1d20)+7:
12,+7
Total:19

Cutter
Roll(1d20)+3:
19,+3
Total:22

Sharpshooter
Roll(1d20)+5:
20,+5
Total:25

Warrior
Roll(1d20)+5:
10,+5

Blackblade
Roll(1d20)+7:
12,+7
Total:19

Cutter
Roll(1d20)+3:
19,+3
Total:22

Current order: Sharpshooter (25), Cutter (22), Serafinn (20) Blackblade (19), Bhaskan (18), Warrior (15), Cha'tril (10)

To make matters worse imgur has decided not to work on my phone. Ill have to turn my phone into a hot spot and use my ipad so bear with me.

I took Ash's turn for Val due to time limit exceed. Goblin Blackblade was flanked so used Piercing Strike. dice results below:

roll for attack: 

rolling 1d20
(10)
= 10

then 1 d4 and 2 d6 as instructed by GM

rolling 1d4
(2)
= 2
rolling 2d6
(4+6)
= 10
Sean H. (GM): what are the modifiers?