Bleck

Secret Santa 2013

Secret Santa 2013   12 members have voted

1. 1. How much should the cap be?

• $10
    • $15
    • $20

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

191 posts in this topic

Gauging interest in something like this. Would anyone want to do this? 

Edit: THE ENTRANTS SO FAR

ack

Lady Riddel

Seanzilla

Bleck

Asura

TriOctium

Demonic Gate

Valentine

Kyo

Sunset

YES ME

What's the max? $10?

(I also want to do holiday cards)

If you buy something online, you would never KNOOOOUWWWWWUUUUAAAAAAA

1 person likes this

It's ridiculously easy to tell who sent the things to you though. They usually write the country of postage.

I think it's okay to know who got you a thing once you've actually got the thing. It's the surprise that counts.

OKAY I'M TAKING THIS ALL AS INTEREST ENOUGH

Does anyone have an estimate for how long it usually takes for packages to get from one place to another? I'd like to set the cut-off date early enough so we're not all waiting to get stuff in February.

Hmm... I once sent a package to Singapore and that took about 2-3 weeks. Never sent anything to the US so I'd have no idea.

Also I've never done the secret Santa thing before, so how exactly does it work?

Yeah. I would actually suggest that you find something online if you're sending overseas, because then you need to deal with filling out customs stuff as well. Of course, if you really want something special and personal, there's nothing wrong with that! It's just that if you're on a budget, that might be something to keep in mind.

And 2-3 weeks for international stuff is pretty accurate no matter where you're sending to.

Also I've never done the secret Santa thing before, so how exactly does it work?

Basically we set a max price (like 10$ or 20$), and we put everyone's names into a hat. Then everyone gets one random name, and they have to buy a present for that person. Who gets what name is a secret until after all the presents have been obtained.

Okay, so it was pretty much what I imagined.

How would we do the hat thing online?

Have one person who isn't participating let us know who we have.

I really like this idea. But we'd need to gauge who among the users wants to actually do it.

So yes.   yes yes yes.

I'll be stuffing the hat with my name now.   I like diamonds and large denominations of currency :D

Anywho, ya 2-3 weeks is about right.  I got stuff sent to me from the UK in about a week to 10 days, so i imagine its around there.

We also need to keep in mind that there might be a back up on time it takes because of the influx of mail being sent in December.

I think a November 30th cut off is a smart idea.

Take note if any Sgreans are looking at using ebay to do their online gifting, though. I did Reddit's Secret Santa and eventually got my ebay account auto banned because my biling address wasn't the same as my mailing address. (obviously, since my addressee was in Northern Ireland and I'm in SG)

I still don't really understand why they'd ban it, but the fact that I'm unable to use ebay anymore still stands .

Hmmm. That's a good point. I would say before you buy something on ebay, you contact the seller first to see if you could send it to a different address..

Doesn't help you situation, of course, but the heads up is helpful for the rest of us. <3 Your sacrifice is recognized. Haha.

First post updated with entrants. If your name isn't on the list it's 'cause I didn't know whether or not you were actually entering.

Bleck do you want to take part? If so I don't mind being the hat. I'll probably be tied up with the sending and receiving stuff cuz I don't have Paypal and my parents are suspicious of all my overseas mail (it was quite hard to get all those cards from the past past them). I can help you guys sort out the gifting! And then you can give me like an e-card as a token of appreciation for my services~.

And remember, let's not do something really inappropriate for a gift. Like, even if it's jokingly so, it's just sorta rude to send someone like...a dildo for Christmas.