Valentine

X [Open] Children of the Ancients Discussion

39 posts in this topic

Original story set in a fantasy/post-apocalyptic alternate Earth. Read on!!

Hundreds of years ago - we're not really sure when - a terrible war ravished the world. It lasted decades, between factions of what we have come to call the 'Ancients', the race of people that we are descended from. Though we have inherited much of their culture, through old literature, music and other rarities found in the wastelands, our world changed drastically. At the height of the war, one faction of the Ancients launched terrible weapons that burnt the lands, killing millions and making many more sick with radiation. Most forms of technology were destroyed, reverting the planet back to a simpler time. Though many of the structures and old world relics remained, our culture, language, written word and many other things had changed beyond what our predecessors could possibly understand.

The land had changed, though much of the land was now safe to traverse, as future generations had adapted to the background radiation, much of the water was still deadly to drink, and so, fresh water and food became one of the most important commodities in trade. Weapons came second, with ammunition acting as the new universal currency. For it's said, without a weapon, you won't last long in the wilds of this new world. 

Monsters now roam the world, perhaps ancestors of creatures that the Ancients once knew, or perhaps new life altogether, it doesn't matter. These monsters come in all shapes and sizes and most of which prey on us. Despite radiation, starvation, thirst, monsters and all manner of problems in our world, there has been one saving grace. Ancient-Tech.

Ancient-Tech comes in two forms. Mechanical, which has mostly been scavenged from old technology and modified. Things that generate power power, light, heat, etc. Tools that are able to weld, shape and cut, and many other fascinating inventions of a time now lost. The other form of Ancient-Tech, there is no mention of in Ancient texts, so it is assumed that it came into creation either as a direct result of the Ancient's war and its effects, or soon after. It is known as 'Glass'.

Glass comes in two forms - the weaker version, like marbles in size, shape and density. These can be attached to equipment like weapons, armour or other items to give them special 'magical' abilities and a stronger version, which is about the size of a golf ball, is soft, almost like jelly and must be consumed. The person who consumes this version of Glass gets a permanent ability or access to some form of latent 'magic' as well as having enhanced physical powers/senses unlike regular folk.

The problem with Glass, is that the more that it is used, the sicker a person becomes. Consuming it once usually makes a person ill for a few weeks, but they adapt with no permanent side-effects. Consuming another can have a terrible side-effect where it dulls a sense. You could start to lose the feeling for an emotion, or a physical sense like taste or touch, you could lose the ability to feel anything but the most severe of pain. Consuming Glass a third time can cause death or worse, can turn you into a powerful monster, but there are a small handful of reports that have claimed that some have consumed a third gel-state Glass without suffering these effects. 

The world we live in now is harsh, and ruled by warring factions, constant bandit attacks, monsters, and all sorts of terror. But there are a small handful of people who take it upon themselves to protect the weak from those who would choose to prey on them. These people are known as 'Shines', as they are the most common of folk to take the risks of consuming Glass, which has the side-effect of making your eyes shine, even in darkness. They come in many forms, from true officers of the law, trying to protect towns or cities from monsters, to bounty hunters or mercenaries who do so for personal gain. They take terrible risks with Glass and the world, but for good reasons (even if those reasons are only good to the individual).

Our stories will revolve around a man who wanders the wastes as a bounty hunter, a man who will become caught up in the struggle between factions, survival and against a man who will do anything to seize power. He will need all the help he can get, and I would encourage each of you to have your own stories in addition to my own character and the over-arcing world's story. This is a character driven roleplay, with a focus on our stories. But we will definitely be having a big story revolving around the origin of Glass, the monsters, the state of the world and everything in general. I just don't want to spoil anything at this stage, but if you'd like to know more about something in particular, just ask.

So, there it is guys, if you're interested please say so, i'll be writing up my character profile shortly. I'm looking for another 2-3 people for this story. I'll be pretty strict on applicants and i'll just pick the people with the best characters. Please post to let me know you're interested before you put up a character profile though, just so I know you're interested.

You don't have to play a 'Shine' if you would rather play something else, if you want to discuss it or have questions feel free to ask me here or via Skype - you know i'm on Skype as the-valentine so if you dont have me, feel free to add me (letting me know who you are).

Adding this to a new post to make an edit to what i've said - to make it clear. This isn't post-apocalyptic like say Fallout, where everything is dead, this is definitely a living world, as its been hundreds or more years since the war. If anything, its more alive than it is in our real world right now, given most of the cities have been taken back by nature. Just didn't want to paint the wrong picture here.

Ok, so it's more Naussicaa of the Valey of the Wind than Fallout, sounds like fun!

I got an idea for a character, I hope it works with our story. Take your typical RPG player character with a party of followers from different backgrounds. what happens to the group when the main character dies? Thats what I'm going with. A mercenary who outlived his charismatic leader and his group fell apart. For his own story I'm thinking of a confrontation with remnants of his old group amongst the enemy or other ghosts from his past putting his loyalty to the test.

He doesnt have te be a Shine nessesarily but maybe equipped with a Glass powered weapon if they are common enough (I can even revive the ManaRifle by turning it into a normal rifle that makes any shot incidiary/cryo like Mass effect thanks to a Glass-gem or something) in terms of equipment i keep him flexible for now, a gun and a hatchet and capable in a fight, especially in a group, but nowhere near Shines or Monsters.

I also have a few questions on the setting: What can we expect from the society in the different communities? how big are the usual settlements and what kind of weaponry is in use? (guns and explosives? bows and swords? guns and swords?) are there post war produced weapons or is it all Ancient-tech and how rare are functional prewar weapons?

Functional pre-war weapons are fairly rare now, its been a long time and i'm trying to hint that the world came to an end around the 1940/50's, as i'm a fan of the era and it's music, etc (hooray for Bioshock and Fallout). I wasn't a fan of the Mana Rifle in that other RP because it didn't feel like it fit - but it definitely could now. If you wanted to have a rifle that you had a slot fitted for the weaker version of the Glass, that would be pretty cool. The most common weapons are melee in nature, its what my character will be using and so if you didnt want to be a Shine, you wouldnt necessarily be at a disadvantage as though there are ranged weapons they are less common now. There are still guns, but most of them are hoarded by the major factions, or taken by bandits - so that would explain why you would have one, either from you previous faction or taken from the corpse of a bandit. Bows and other projectile weapons are more common, but because it's something you need to learn to use, a lot less people still use them. 

I really like the idea of your character, I think it would work great. Definitely. I'm surprised and a little saddened that not more people have yet taken an interest in this, but either way, your character sounds great. If you want to write up a profile for him, that would be awesome, i'll be doing the same later today or tomorrow and i'll keep this open for maybe a few more days in the hopes of attracting a few more, if not, i'll be happy to start it with just us mate eh?

As for it's style, yeah, I guess Nausicaä is a good example. If I was to study where some of my influences were from, i'd say it's a mixture of Final Fantasy, the Tales series, Fallout, STALKER and maybe Enslaved, etc.

I have certainly taken an interest in this! I'm going to have to have a good, solid think about my character and then I'll post up a short summary of it like Red Alpha did above. Just one question from me though, what kind of abilities does consuming a gel-state Glass grant? Just so I can get a handle on limitations and possiblities.

It can be anything really, if you are swallowing a gel-state Glass, it's basically taking on a magical ability. Consuming more doesn't tend to radically alter or add to that, it just 'evolves' and enhances the ability you were given. Anything from manipulation of an element, which is fairly basic and generic, to whatever you can imagine. Though, i'd like it to have a degree of sense to it. Even if it's senseless. I don't want it to be like, "He can morph into a dragon and shoot laser beams from his nose." lol. But we can discuss abilities in full if you want, preferably over skype where it can be resolved pretty quickly.

Mmm, so I'm pretty sure I've got my character sorted out now, as long as your happy with it of course! :)

So he's going to be a 'Shine' and the ability granted to him by the Gel-State Glass is a sort of active camouflage that makes it hard for people to see him. It's not complete invisibility, so people/monsters will be able to see him if they are looking for him or stare at him directly but it does the job in terms of delaying anyone long enough for my character to take them out.

My character will be someone who follows the news of acts of evil or malice and then attempts to put them right. (e.g. He'll here rumour of a particular bunch of bandits attacking a particular settlement and he'll move in to clear up the bandits.) But, classicly, what he'll discover is that when he sets some things right to his standards, he is not necassarily making it right for the people who live there. A sort of Jack Reacher/Lan type of character.

That sound alright to you?

Aye, the power seems fine to me. Sounds good. Sort of like reflecting mirrors or something? So if you were completely still, it would just look like a trick of light, that would probably be fine. I dont know the Jack Reacher/Lan comment though. But I see no issue with your character. I'll try to get my profile up shortly. Sorry for the wait.

That's about it!

As for Jack Reacher, he's a character from a set of books by Lee Childs; a sort of detective based deal. Lan is a character from the Wheel of Time series written by Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson; awesome fantasy if you're into it.

Okay, well, I think this has been open for long enough. If you guys are both still on board, then i'll put up my profile this evening or tomorrow morning. It's all worked out in my mind already, just need to 'put it to paper'. And then i'll probably put the RP up some time over the weekend. Also, if you have Skype, that would be really useful having you on there to discuss the RP, dialogue and just chatting in general.

yeah I'll start writing the bio and stuff, then I'll use your format for the rest of the CS.

Also i remembered what gave me the inspiration for my character. Ulysses in the New Vegas Lonesome road DLC gave me the idea. I'm gonna replay that to get more ideas for the character.

Sorry to keep you waiting guys, was talking to skielights about her possibly joining if she has time, etc. and a few things came up, but i'm working on my profile now.

Woo, I shall keep my eyes peeled. As soon as yours is up, I'll use the character sheet as a template.

You are definitely welcome, Para. Speak to me on Skype if you're unsure about anything. And I got sidetracked with my profile, but i'm sat at the computer writing it up now, and will post it shortly. Like, inside the hour.

Name: Atlas

Reference Pic: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Sephy_dude/gmask1_zps98a03f5a.jpg
Appearance: 5'11'' and slim, with athletic muscle, he has tanned skin but thick ivory-white hair that comes down to his shoulders. He is covered in numerous scars on his body. His eyes are a reddish colour, side effect from the Shine effect. He tends to wear dark, handmade clothing with a hooded trench coat that comes down to his ankles. He often wears a breather, an Ancient relic that was once used to clean the air of radiation but now serves to stop dangerous spores from entering his lungs in some of the more dangerous areas of the wastes. 
Personality: Atlas treats others with a fair deal of suspicion and disdain in equal measures. He finds it hard to trust people and prefers his own company but though slow to trust, he can be a fierce friend. He can be aggresive and short-tempered with people, but he is incredibly talented and knowledgeable about the world, nature and the things that inhabit it and has a great patience and respect for it that many lack or would rather fear. 
Bio: Atlas remembers very little of his childhood, when he was a young boy, his tribal village was raided and destroyed. His parents killed. He escaped into the wilds, but the rest of his tribe was slaughtered. He spent the rest of his youth travelling and learning how to survive in the wastes, something that most people, if they have a choice, avoid. He can't remember his childhood name, but would say he took the name 'Atlas' from an Ancient book he once found. It's unclear when or how he came to become a Shine, or his motivations behind it. He is what most people call a 'Nymph'. A race of people that are all but extinct now. Their history is all but destroyed along with their culture, but it was said that the Nymphs were one of the hardiest people in the world, and choose to be nomads, living alongside the dangerous yet wonderful creatures of the new world, rather than hiding away in towns and cities. The Nymphs were once slaves and second-class citizens to humans, but after hundreds of years they rebelled. Unable to win the war with their numbers so widespread, the Nymphs were all but wiped out. Some consider meeting a Nymph to bring great luck and prosperity, others believe that it brings doom on them, and some further still believe that they are magical creatures, born of the Ancient's war and that they may lead humans to a new, promised land.
Abilities: Atlas is a Shine, as such, he has enhanced physical abilities but most prominent is his ability to generate and manipulate electricity to varying degrees of success. He is also able to mimic a great number of animal calls, and even seems to have a rudimentary understanding of some of the more intelligent creatures of the wastes, and so is greatly skilled in survival. But it is unclear if this is part of the abilities he gained when he consumed gel-state Glass or if he learnt this as a child, or over time in the wild. He favours knives and carries a great deal of them on him and is incredibly skilled in the multiples of their uses.

Any questions?

Mmmm. What time is that? It's almost 2am already. I might be up for a while, if I cant get to sleep. But I cant promise anything.

Ok, here goes. Let me know if anything needs changing.

Name: Ionel (called Ine by her brother Ainen.)

Appearance: Ionel is about five three; she’s never really measured and so is not quite sure. She’s got enough food to be fit rather than skinny, although this is challenged at times when game is scarce. Her eyes are sharp green. She has dirty blonde dreads spiked with bits of colored glass found over time. They just reach her shoulders and are generally allowed free reign over her head. An old burn slightly reddens the left side of her forehead, but aside from a couple minor scars on her arms, no other marks are visible. She wraps her right palm at all times. When hunting, she secures two cylindrical chambers over her middle knuckles. These she fills with metal darts painted in the quick poison of Caylego* blood and a type of leaf she won’t name. Ine calls them “Markâ€s, as that is the Ancient word stamped on their sides.

Personality: Ine is overconfident. She often gives herself more credit than she deserves for getting out of trouble or to her goal, rather than acknowledging circumstance or chance. She is wary, but less than she should be. This is due to curiosity and her belief that she is capable of escaping any tight spot if needed. Her actions can endanger those nearby, but so far nothing drastic has happened. Ine remembers the way her mother truly cared for her and Ainen. In honor of her, Ine tries to extend that security to her brother and escapees before they head into a hostile environment again. She is determined to never kill another human to survive, even if she’s ambushed while smuggling someone away from the gang.

Bio:

Ionel’s father’s gang held harsh control over her city. Ine and Ainen grew up hunting Caylego just outside its borders, and traded for whatever they needed. However, their father’s position was such that they usually lacked nothing essential. She learned through her mother’s observance what sorts of cruelty kept their position stable. Her mother’s experience taught Ine that trying to change things would bring the same treatment. This scared Ine into silence, but solidified in her a need to find ways to fight back. When revolution began, she and Ainen joined their fathers’ enemies. They work together to hide targets and help them escape the city.

Ine found her springloaded dart chambers amidst huge complications during her first solo hunt. As soon as she got back, a few days late and very hypothermic, she hid them in her room and never parted with them. She uses the poison against Caylego and other creatures as it kills them faster than a regular arrow. She doesn’t normally wear them outside of hunting. Only her brother knows she has them, and she’d like to keep that knowledge from spreading. On nights she’s smuggling someone out, she’ll bring her bow and only use it if absolutely necessary.

Abilities: Ionel is skilled with her old bow, but more so with the metal darts. She is very used to small, moving targets. Caylego have sensitive ears, so Ine has learned to walk and climb almost anywhere unheard. She’s built up immunity to the poison with which her darts are coated, and a couple others that include Caylego blood in case she needs to use them.

*I’m picturing Caylego as cat/small dragon things. Is that fine?

(Also just found a how-to: http://www.instructables.com/id/Functional-Weapon-Spring-Loaded-Dart/ Hers would be modified to shoot further, but this is cool.)

Edited by skielights

The profile itself is fine, it's all good, the only thing I would say is the bio is a little unclear what is happening, where you are, who these people are, the situation, etc. You don't need to edit this, but obviously in the RP we want to be a bit clearer on what's going on otherwise people might get confused. As for the animal type, its fine, animals and monsters in this world are as varied as anything, there is no form of record and no point in keeping one as there is just next to no 'old world' creatures left, and all the new ones are countless in number and variety. Looks good!

I've accepted your profile and through looking in the thread I remembered a profile revision i'd wanted to do. Just changed my 'healing' ability into energy creation/manipulation, so if someone wanted healing that's also an open choice now. I'm waiting for Yajuu, Nef and Red's profiles to get this going. I know Yajuu and Nef, you're both interested. I dont know what Red is doing right now as the last time he posted was last week, but i'll assume for now he's still interested. If you don't have me on skype, now would be a good time to add me, as its pretty good for things like chatting in general, queries about the RP, various discussion and even dialogue exchange (for natural dialogue and so you dont have to make short, no-dialogue posts).  My skype is:   the-valentine

Here we go, my character. Give us a shout if there is any problems...

Name: Bestel

Appearance: Bestel stands 6’ 4†and can only be described as lanky due to his skinniness in long arms and legs. He has wiry muscles that rely on flexibility rather than brute strength. His hair is chestnut brown and stands at varying lengths across his scalp as if it had been hacked by a knife; as it has been by Bestel himself. Bestel’s right eye is pale blue while his left eye is covered by a leather eye-patch. As for clothing, Bestel likes to stick to loose trousers tucked into high leather boots, and a sleeveless top. A leather strap wraps around his waist twice acting as a belt for his trousers. An eight inch knife is strapped to the outside of his left arm in a leather holster.

Personality: Bestel gives off the impression of being carefree and rule-ignorant. However, he has a fierce sense of right and wrong, leaving no room for ‘grey’ areas in the world.

Bio: Bestel had never spent any meaningful time among villages and settlements, his parents instead taking on the lives of nomads or wanderers. As such he was practically cultivated to be a lone individual from the moment of his birth. His father in particular made it clear early on that Bestel should learn to live and survive on himself as Bestel’s mother and he were not going to be around forever. Bestel took it to heart and taught himself survival skills. It turned out that doing so had been a good idea as when Bestel returned from a hunting trip, he found his camp deserted. From what he could tell there had been no struggle, and seeing as a couple of personal things had been taken, Bestel concluded that his parents had voluntarily abandoned him to the world. But by that point, Bestel was used to being alone and so without panic or worry, he packed what he would need and set off into the world.

During his travels; dodging bandits, escaping slavery, killing, losing an eye, Bestel figured that the world was broken. So he decided to fix it himself, finding places that were under oppression or bandits setting up for attack, he took it upon himself to stop what he believed was the evil of the world. Becoming a Shine only added to the abilities he possessed to help him in his self-appointed quest.

Abilities: Bestel’s abilities were granted to him by consuming a Gel-State Glass. As well as the general physical enhancements all Shine’s get, it gives him what he likes to call ‘Active Concealment’. This means that he hide his body under a membrane that makes him practically invisible. Its intensity (and as such, its ability to conceal) is reliant on how still he is at any given point. This means unless someone/thing is stood directly in front of him, if he is absolutely still, he is practically completely invisible. Seeing as it forms like a membrane around his body, Bestel can also conceal his clothing and any small items.

As well as his Shine abilities, Bestel is over-adept at hand-to-hand combat. He has no style, but he can handle himself against most opponents with nothing but his long limbs. He is also moderately skilled using a knife in combat but doesn’t like to rely on the weapons except when hunting for food.

Other: His real name is Max but he took the name ‘Bestel’ from a settlement leader who told him it meant ‘order’.

That's all fine Yajuu, I would make two comments in relation to it - the first being that I dont understand where 'Ruin' came in at the end of your profile, as you only mention it once, and dont say what it is or what it means or anything, so maybe elaborating on that would be good. Secondly, of course survival is very common in this world, and that's fine, but you should be aware that the things that my character in particular does to survive are not necessarily the standard, as he's technically a different race/culture and their practices are quite different. I just wanted that to be clear. But the profile looks great, good job. Just waiting on Neferteri and Red Alpha now.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead