Valentine

X [Open] Children of the Ancients Discussion

39 posts in this topic

Skype is giving me a bit of trouble at the moment but when I get it under control I'll add you Val.

And Yeah I am still busy writing, I hope to be able to post the full character tomorrow but here's a short version of the bio:

childhood: scavenger kid, teen: hired thug, early twenties: thug with a cheap handgun, mercenary and eventually right hand man of small war band with plans to shake up the region some way. survives destruction of group and after 4 years winds up at where we start off here. premise is still the same, survivor of a dead faction, could run into other survivors who joined the enemy. maybe it was even the same faction that ordered the elimination of my character's warband.

because we are getting ready with the characters i wanted to ask how we are going to start this off. I dont want to see this crash on the second post so maybe we should go over the first chapter of the story together to get a good start, like where do we meet, and in what order?

Well the details of our characters meeting is up to you guys, the story of this RP has a few seat goals, destinations and so on, plenty of travelling, but the extra details are pretty free. It's fine if we all meet up soon in, or if we take a while to meet. It doesn't matter. Realistically we probably shouldn't all meet up at once. But I would say it would be good for at least one character to meet mine within the first few posts, that way it serves as a stepping stone to the story.

Basically, a lot of the story at the beginning revolves around my character trying to understand and remember where he came from and a lot of the other details from his life that he seems to have forgotten or somehow had 'taken' from him. Couple that with the general survival stories we can filter in, and a few others things and that could be it for the first 'arc'. Including your various characters' stories, obviously.

That's all fine Yajuu, I would make two comments in relation to it - the first being that I dont understand where 'Ruin' came in at the end of your profile, as you only mention it once, and dont say what it is or what it means or anything, so maybe elaborating on that would be good. Secondly, of course survival is very common in this world, and that's fine, but you should be aware that the things that my character in particular does to survive are not necessarily the standard, as he's technically a different race/culture and their practices are quite different. I just wanted that to be clear. But the profile looks great, good job. Just waiting on Neferteri and Red Alpha now.

Sorry, do ignore the random insertion of the word 'ruin' in my profile. It was something I changed in my profile but clearly missed when I changed it. I have edited my post to remove said word.

ok Finally i got him done. so we have two shines and two non-shines now? the easiest way to get Zechs involved would be to hire him for a job. beside the possible encounter of former friends in the story i also put in a small mystery in with the reason for the destruction of his gang, taking a lot of inspiration from the New vegas bounties Mods, in which there is some shadow organisation responsible for just about everything in the mods, but never quite revealed. maybe it is connected with the current story, maybe not.

Name: Zechs

Appearance: Zechs is strong-framed man of just above average height, with blue eyes, short straw-blonde hair, a short stubble and a long scar running from just below the right eye to his jaw.

He wears a sturdy pair of grey trousers he made out of an old jumpsuit and lightweight body armour protecting his chest from most small weapons, like knifes or clubs. Over the armor he wears a grey padded jacket. Zechs reinforced his clothing with small bits of scavenged armour of varying quality. He also wears a belt with several pouches and bags in which he keeps his valuables and ammunition while he keeps his other supplies in an old but sturdy duffel bag.

Personality: A man of few words, Zechs prefers to keep quiet and not attract any attention to him. He seems cold and distant but this is just because he has been travelling on his own for so long, never staying long enough to make allies or friends in the towns he visits. Back when he was with the Marshals he was a lot more talkative, often joking around with his friends or sharing stories when drinking. Zechs is a loyal man and rarely would betray someone's trust. however after the death of the marshals he has become a more cautious and withdrawn man, rarely staying in the same place for more than a week before moving on.

Bio: Zechs was born in a small settlement far to the east and spent a lot of his time as a child scavenging the ruins with his siblings. It was dull and hot and Zechs knew he would not spend the rest of his life as some scavenger or farmer back home. When he was fifteen he left to become a soldier in the city. A year of living on his own quickly stamped out the idealistic dreams he would have had about a soldier’s life and Zechs tried to make living as a hired thug. Usually this meant guard duty at some shady deals or being sent with a mob to stamp out any resistance against the ruling families of the city. Sometimes they’d give him a weapon but usually he had just his fists and whatever he could pick up from the dead. It was brutal and Zechs still has many scars from those days but he survived and even thrived as hired muscle. And so one day he was valuable enough to be given a firearm. After that day he became a different kind of thug, a gun for hire, which meant mostly solving problems with as few bullets as needed and earning more ammunition to keep going. As few would stand up against a man with a gun it was a marked improvement in his life.

One day Zechs found himself hired for a job by a man called Marshal Jones. He gave Zechs a simple offer: Stay in the city and be a replaceable thug for the wealthy of the city to use, or leave with Marshal Jones and get a taste of real mercenary work.

Marshal Jones had managed to recruit more mercenaries and sell-swords in the wildlands into his small war band. Zechs naturally fell into the role of Jones's right had man and bodyguard being the first member of the group. Jones was a talented fighter and great leader but he had larger plans. With his Marshals (after one humerous misunderstanding the name stuck) he sold their services to many of the stronger factions in the region; protecting settlements, attacking raiders or removing a despot from power. It was all the usual work for a mercenary band but Jones was playing a larger game, some contracts he would only accept for a specific favour he’d collect on a later date and sometimes they’d even betray the contractor by siding with his enemy for a better price. Marshal Jones was working to shift the powers of the region towards some end goal but even though Zechs never learned what that goal was he had faith in Jones.

Unfortunately Marshal Jones would never get to set his plan in motion. Their final mission turned into a bloodbath when their mercenary band was returning from an attack on a bandit camp. They were ambushed by a small group of trained marksmen armed with Glass powered rifles. Many died that day and Marshal Jones succumbed to his wounds not long after the battle, leaving Zechs and only a handful of the Marshals behind with no leader. Zechs tried to keep them together but he knew it was over the moment Jones had died. The survivors went their own ways and Zechs decided to leave the whole region, and travelled west.

Now, Four years after the death of Marshal Jones, Zechs finds himself in renting a room in a tavern in a city where they have never even heard of the cities Zechs had grown up in.

Abilities: Zechs has more than fifteen years of experience with combat and travelling through the lands between the settlements of the region. In a fight he can handle himself with a firearm or a knife but can always rely on his fists. In the wilds he can hunt for small prey and knows how to avoid the attention of the monsters that hunt there. He also knows a bit about scavenging for ancient-tech or other useful items in the ruins of the old world.

Weapons: Zechs keeps a knife on his belt, but mostly for utility. His primary weapon is an ancient machine gun. Resembling a heavily modified and crudely maintained G3 assault rifle. one of the many additions to the original design is a small piece of Glass, the modification was well made and not as crude as the rest of the parts added to the centuries old rifle. Thanks to the Glass every bullet fired from the gun is enveloped in a hot blue flame with a streak of orange trailing it. When the bullet impacts it erupts into a small burst of intense fire, causing severe burns or worse if striking unprotected flesh. The gun leaves a distinctive smoke trail with every shot and although it is an automatic weapon Zechs rarely uses that setting, as ammunition is a rare resource and the gun is ancient and he doesnt trust the weapon to withstand such force on the frame.

Although Zechs mostly relies on his big gun he also carries a simple hatchet to defend himself in closer encounters.

Everything about your profile as a whole is fine, Red. I would just say you gave the impression of the world being a lot more 'together', when there is really very little in the way of stable settlements, etc. We're talking thousands of years into the future, when the world is wild and dangerous once more, and people prey on one another. Even when two people, who are individually good people, meet, things can go wrong. They can be suspicious, distrusting, and it only takes a small mistake for things to explode out of control. I just don't want you to think that the world is too safe or uniform, to that degree. If you dont want to edit your profile, thats fine, its not a big deal, I would just say to consider that for during the RP.  :3

Your profile is great though, looking forward to this, we just need Nef's profile and we're good to go. And obviously, as we've got 5 people, we're full. Not taking on any more. Unless, and I hope this doesnt happen, but, should people disappear without hint of them coming back in the short term, I will take it upon myself to kill that character off, if it means preserving the RP for the other members. I dont want to see this fail after putting so much thought into the world and concepts as a whole. Once Nef's profile is up, i've got a few things I need to do, but the RP should be up within a few days, or less.

Name: Nairi

Hair Color: Corn silk yellow/blond (when washed and clean) Long and unkempt unless tied back with a leather thong.

Eye Color: Bright blue

Height: 5'5â€

Abilities: Basic survival combat if her life is threatened.

The Past: {Example of geographical layout of her area}

Lived in a small village situated along the safety of canyon walls and its high climbing edges where it was easy to evade danger or corner it. Trees filled the majority of the valley where there was a richer water supply, moving out of the wide mouth of the valley the trees lessened and sturdy weeds and shrubs clung to life on the edge of the forested canyon valley.

Such a lush area full of safety and food possibilities became an open invitation to passing raiders. A large group of men, maybe women too, entered Nairi's lands and proceeded to eliminate her small village. She was only a young child, perhaps nine at the time of her village's raid. Staying hidden she survived.

The raid resulted in a gutted village. All supplies and tools removed, leaving the young child to fend for herself.

Personality: With no human contact since the raid upon her village's home she developed into a quiet, reclusive individual. Always listening, watching, looking out for her life each second of every day. If she encountered life, humans, it would be quite the experience after ten years of isolation.

~Further details and information will be written into the RP itself~

Sparse but fine profile, Para. lol. But it needed to be really, given her history - I discussed it over Skype and approved it, so we're all good and ready now, I believe. I'll get this up as soon as I can, some time in the next day or two.

No worries. I'm writing this up now guys. I don't know how quickly I can get this done, it will be a long post, but its going up soon, obviously.   :3

EDIT: Also, i've added Skielights, Red Alpha and Neferteri into a group conversation with myself on Skype. I don't think i've got you yet on Skype, Yajuu, but it would be great to add you if I haven't already. Skype will be a really great way to discuss the RP as a group, chat, and exchange dialogue either individually or as a group, when the situation calls for it. It will also let me keep you guys abreast of any news or plot you need to be made aware of.

Go ahead and add me on skype if you wish. I go by the same there as I do here; Yajuu-Kikuishi

Well, i'm sorry you ended up posting, Yajuu. But given that it's taken almost 2 weeks before anybody posted, I had pretty much assumed that this was dead in the water before it had even began. So aye, i'm not committing to this RP when nobody has bothered to take interest beyond putting their characters up. Sorry.

Now look Val,  this was a great concept and I will be ready to give it another try whenever you want. However in it's current state I cannot commit to this RP. it took me a while to figure out what went wrong exactly but I think I found the reason, at least for me.

Your first post was brilliant, perfect in setting up the scenery, the setting and the tone of the story. However by the end of it I could not think of any proper way to get Zechs into that story. Realisticly speaking, what would happen when a stranger with an ancient weapon that can spout fire walks into a small camp in the middle of the night? to me at least, nothing good came to mind. A lot of hostile remarks and maybe even a small fight and before you know it another two show up and we have even more confusion.

It was a good setting for a story, but if the standard course of action when two good men meet is to make sure the other does not kill you first, I dont see a good way to get things started with two good men meeting. I dont really want to start the story with a scene where everyone is already at one another's throats.

Maybe we need to rethink the whole start of a roleplay to avoid these kinds of situations. make sure the characters complement each other and maybe we start In Medias Res, With the group already assembled and everyone gets a flashback in the first few posts about how they found the group or something. or you open with a clear objective for all involved in a brief action scene.

maybe we can give this another try now or some other day, for now I'm going to do more research and rebuild one of my more popular RPs for another try.

Well, I made it clear what the story was, and we worked on our character and were happy with it, and whatever the other reasons are, ultimately it doesn't matter that you found it impossible to post, the fact was that it took two weeks and me actually saying that the RP was done, before you said you weren't going to post. But that doesnt matter anyway, because I may revisit this in the future, but not now. But hopefully we can RP in the future. 

After the holiday tiem stops raping me, I'll be able to think like I'm suppose to an have a posty up if this RP exists upon me receiving my normal-like sched . . . T.T;;;

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead