• Mage
    • Changeling
    • Promethean
    • Hunter
    • Sin-Eater
    • Mummy
    • Human
    • Any/All

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

32 posts in this topic

Firstly this is not signups for a game, so whether you're free or not, do keep reading. This is simply to see what game we should start. Specifically, what supernatural creature(s) to base the game upon. This topic is to decide that, and once that is worked out, we will then begin work on an actual game, and post a new thread for signups to that when it is ready, in perhaps a fortnight or so.

There is a poll attached here for you to vote in. It is multiple choice, so do pick all choices that you would be willing to play. If you're not fussed, check the last option of "any/all". Depending on the results, we will either try to create a game that caters to the most people possible, or plan multiple games to cater to different smaller specific groups. Also feel free to elaborate on your choices by posting in this thread, particularly if you have selected multiple options but do have a certain strong first preference.

For those unfamiliar with the game, who may not know what the options are or what each supernatural creature entails, here is a brief summary of each of the creatures (except Demons, because neither myself or HH has viewed the rulebook for that, so we'd prefer to run a game with something we're at least slightly familiar with), courtesy of TVtropes:

Vampire: The Requiem

Players take the roles of vampires, people Cursed with eternal (un)life, supernatural power, and — oh, yeah — bloodlust and a fatal sunlight allergy.

In Requiem nobody knows exactly how the vampirism curse started. Some believe that they were cursed by The Powers That Be for a specific purpose, others believe that vampires are a concealed part of natural world and there are those who think it's not important at all. But one thing is for sure, vampires have stalked and preyed on humanity for a very long time.

The mortals killed and brought back as vampires are in for a tough existence. The first thing to be noticed is the ever-present Beast, the name given to the urges that drive vampires away from their Humanity (one of them being an endless thirst for the blood of the living). Then there is the fact that fire and sunlight are the bane of their existance. They also have to socialize with other bloodsuckers that compose vampire society, which can be roughly described as vicious, and most likely deal with hunters and/or other nasty creatures that go bump in the night. Every night since the first is a battle for survival (metaphorical, or not). In addition (maybe as a compensation) they get powers like immortality, super strength and supernatural charm, just to name a few, aside from the possibility that one night they may become the almighty overlords of the afterdark.

Werewolf: The Forsaken

Once upon a time, the physical world — the Gurihal — and the Spirit World — the Hisil — were one world, named Pangaea. Father Wolf patrolled Pangaea, ensuring that spirits were kept in line and did not terrorize humanity. Luna, one of the very powerful Spirits of the Moon, saw Father Wolf's duties, and fell in love with him. The children of this union were the first werewolves — beings part spirit, part flesh, charged to follow Father Wolf in his duties. But after spawning these Firstborn, Father Wolf grew old and weak, and could not fulfill his duties. So five of the first werewolves killed him, and then everything went to Hell — Luna cursed their name, the Spirit World broke from Earth, and their brothers, who refused to take part in the death of Father Wolf, swore revenge on them.

Werewolf: The Forsaken is about playing one of the titular Forsaken — werewolves who threw away the closest thing they had to paradise millennia ago because they believed it could not be maintained. Their duty in life is to serve as "border patrol" to the Spirit World, keeping voracious spirits from riding humanity like toys. At the same time, they have to protect their territories and fend off the Pure, werewolves who view all Forsaken as murderers for their complicity in the death of Father Wolf. It's a hard, bloody, and usually short-lived experience... but someone has to do it.

Mage: The Awakening

The story goes that long ago, people all over the world had dreams that brought them to Atlantis. Once there, they undertook a spirit quest that enlightened their souls and gave them magic powers. Thus the Mages Awakened. Unfortunately, the good times soon ended: Mages wanted to get to the Supernal World, the source of all magic. To achieve their plan they built an enormous ladder that let them travel the gap between worlds. This ended badly, as these god-like Mages abused their newfound power, forcing others of their order to climb the ladder and fight them. This war broke the ladder— destroying the connection between earth and the Supernal, and thus magic— and replacing it with an evil, magic-destroying realm called the Abyss. Atlantis fell, and the rest is history. Literally.

Now the Mages seek to find lost arcane secrets, prevent the Abyss from further corrupting Earth, act as Badass mage cops, find magic in normal life, and rebuild the ladder to the Supernal. They are thwarted by Abyssal demons, servants of the Exarchs, those Mages who made it to the Supernal, and pretty much everybody in the World of Darkness.

Promethean: The Created

The name of Promethean refers to its central characters, reanimated corpses fueled by "the Divine Fire", "Azoth" in alchemic terms. (The Divine Fire is often affiliated with the fire Prometheus stole from the gods, thus the use of the name.) These creatures are cursed to suffer the unending hatred of the human race, and must struggle for survival against both mankind's rejection and the rejection of the earth itself. What's worse, Prometheans are also hunted - Pandorans, creatures born from Promethean creation rites gone wrong, desire to devour the Created.

Despite the description, this game is actually optimistic. Prometheans follow what they call "the Pilgrimage", a quest to refine themselves into something more closely resembling humans. They learn to master the Azoth within them and the nature of humanity, with the goal of someday completing "the Great Work": redemption, the final transformation into human beings.

Assuming, of course, they can avoid giving up in the face of the world's spite and taking up the Refinement of Flux.

Notable perhaps because a viable group of characters in the game consists of Frankenstein's Monster, a marble statue imbued with life, a hypertech nanite colony in the shape of a man, a mummy, and a golem complete with the name of God on his forehead, and they can go beat up a radioactive zombie-making (and also radioactive-zombie making) thing brought to life by a nuclear bomb and guarded by living cancers, because you were told to by a blood-drenched angel with a flaming sword and six wings. And despite that description, it's actually a rather deep game of personal horror and on the nature of what makes a man. Possibly the strangest of the new World of Darkness games, Promethean requires more investment between Storyteller and player than the norm, and is thus recommended for smaller groups.

Changeling: The Lost

Player characters are Changelings, humans who were stolen from their lives by the True Fae of Arcadia and kept as slaves or servants. Changelings are no longer entirely human, having been tormented in positively Lovecraftian ways until they were broken in either body, mind, soul, or all of the above, and then rebuilt according to the True Fae's whims. The player characters, and many non-player character Changelings, are those who managed to fight, sneak, run, or trick their way back to freedom and the mortal world, but even when they return they bear the scars of their experience. Their very bodies have been changed into inhuman shapes. Their eyes have been opened so that they can see the truth of things, but they are also beset by hallucinations and tricks of perception. Worst of all is the constant, nagging worry: what if I never escaped? What if this is all a trick... or if I was allowed to leave?

Considered by some to be the single bleakest thing White Wolf has ever written. Well, maybe not quite as bleak as Wraith: The Oblivion was, but cranked up there pretty hard and fast. Definitely a stark contrast to its idealistic predecessor, Changeling: The Dreaming.

Even if it isn't the bleakest thing White Wolf has included in the New World of Darkness, it is almost certainly among the most melancholic and a stark contrast to its predecessor, Changeling: The Dreaming. There is no redemption, no way to go back to what you once were. The True Fae are infinite, their sorcery unstoppable, and their appetites impossible to slake. The Changelings can either resume their old lives knowing that they could be helping but aren't, or they can take on their new lives, safe in the knowledge that their endeavors will be at best a moist towelette on the raging bonfire of the Fae. If, by some miracle, they ''do'' become powerful enough to truly take on the True Fae, the results aren't pretty. On the other hand, there is a deep emphasis on relationships, interconnection, and wonder that isn't there in other New World of Darkness games. Being only slightly better than humans, Changelings must rely on others— their Motley, their Freehold, their Entitlement— to help them take on most threats and maintain their hold on what sanity remains to them. In addition, several sourcebooks note that for all the horrors of the Changeling existence, they also experience incredible beauty and fantastic marvels that most mortals can never see.

Hunter: The Vigil

This follows the normal humans who decide to go out and shoot the monsters hiding in the shadows. Of course, this being the World of Darkness, bad things happen a lot.

Hunters organize on three levels: Cells (small groups of two to 12 Hunters working more or less alone), Regional Compacts and National- or Global-level Conspiracies. Compacts provide benefits to their members based on their prominence in the organization, whereas Conspiracies can provide Endowments — tools or powers that can put hunters on the same playing field as some supernaturals.

Since all Hunters are, essentially, human beings, there is no distinct "origin" for how they become a hunter or for their actions. Instead, the organizations are the various compacts and conspiracies.

Geist: The Sin-Eaters

(since this entry on TVtropes doesn't say much, I'll use my own words):

Sin-Eaters are humans that have died, and whilst on the cusp of death, they struck a deal with a quasi-ghost known as a Geist in order to return to life. The Geist is bound to the human, and provides them with various supernatural powers. These are based on how the person died, and what the Geist itself represents - Geists are thought to be ghosts who have abandoned their human identities and instead transformed to embody a concept or theme related to the way they themselves died (you might have a constantly dripping wet Geist who is themed around the sea, who would be a person that drowned and their ghost came to embody the sea).

Sin-Eaters can see and interact with ghosts, as well as potentially enter the Underworld.Their abilities and the fact they can't make themselves blind to ghosts means that they often take up roles dealing with helping ghosts move on, or in outright destroying them. As if seeing ghosts wasn't enough, their Geist is always with them, hanging around and watching them, invisible to mortals, so they really would find it tough to ever try to live a normal life again.

Mummy: The Curse

In the beginning there was the city of Irem, heart of a powerful Nameless Empire, based where the Egypt of the Pharaohs would one day arise - an empire far more mystically advanced than any of the time. You and a select group of people were subject to the greatest feat of magic that has ever been attempted by mortal hands, the Rite of Return. Now, as an Arisen, you walk the line between life and death, which is both a blessing and a curse. On one hand, you have life everlasting. It takes nothing short of a nuclear bomb to destroy you. On the other, you're able to rise only for short periods, your power steadily ebbing away each time. Your friends and family are long since dead and gone, even fading from your memory as the centuries pass.

Your 'true' body remains as it was when you underwent the Rite, a preserved corpse, but it's an easy thing for you to adopt a more human guise, shaped by your memory of yourself - for better and worse.

Finally, look here for the rulebooks, which you can skim at your own discretion to see what may be right for you.

I'd be up for anything... but Changeling reminds me a lot of Saya no Uta and now it's giving me the creeps >____>

Saya no Uta was pretty great.

But yea I wouldn't wanna play as something that resembles her either. 

The Geist seems pretty fun to play with, story wise. Reminds me of Sims ghosts. Or the HeatHaze Project.

Lots of opportunities for variety!

By the way, this is a disclaimer that neither DayDay nor I own the game or its contents. XD This means that if you guys want to run your own WoD stories, do feel free to as well. The poll's for our benefit to gauge interest and decide what to do, but you're free to base your decisions on this poll or not. It's all up to you. The more the merrier!

I like the story behind Mages and I also voted Hunters because I really like Hunters. I:

Saya no Uta was pretty great.

But yea I wouldn't wanna play as something that resembles her either.

The Geist seems pretty fun to play with, story wise. Reminds me of Sims ghosts. Or the HeatHaze Project.

Lots of opportunities for variety!

Geist is my personal favourite actually.

I like the story behind Mages and I also voted Hunters because I really like Hunters. I:

And it seems so far Hunters are in the lead. At this stage we will probably run a Hunter game then, because it also has the benefit of us being able to potentially throw the other supernatural creatures in as antagonists anyway. We'll see how things continue to unfold, see about what to do for a potential second game.

And yeah as HH said, if anyone else wants to run a game of this please do so.

I've quite fond memories of Mage and Werewolf   (I ended up with a Were-Dingo, actually  xD )  and Hunters was pretty fun.   My old Storyteller liked jumping books....   one game was solid werewolf, but the other was Hunter, Mage, Vampire....   it was gloriously insane xD

Geist is my personal favourite actually. 

I'm surprised you didn't add the Geist into the voting system, despite them being your favourite.

:(

On a side note, I used to have this wonderful roleplay with Ellemerr (entitled An Asylum; it was completed and very nearly ran for Legendary Roleplay!) and it sorta had the same tone as Changeling. o3o Merry would love Changeling.

1 person likes this

Okay guys the poll has been up a while and a lot of people have voted, and we need to start working on the games, so we're gonna start based on the poll results at the present time.

We will have Game 1 be Hunters, this will fit very well with our original game idea, and it should provide a good experience for those newer to the setting, as human characters are pretty straightforward, and the plot will allow them to get an outside taste of some of the other supernatural creatures still. It'll also link somewhat to the current idea for Game 2, which may be interesting.

The problem with Game 2 is we don't know from the poll who among those that picked Hunter also picked the next most picked option, Geist, nor who among those that picked both will join Hunter if we do a Geist one as well. We're considering a plot that would allow people to just pick whatever they wanted, but we also don't want to get too much variety because it will be pretty hard for us to read up on everything and find some balance. We could have like 2 different creatures allowed for it, perhaps.

So, let me first describe Game 1. If you want to play in it, say so here. We're thinking of having around 4 players, 5 at absolute most. If there's like 8 people, we may instead just do two of the same game as Sean did with DnD (only 7 people voted in the poll, so two games should definitely fit everyone if that happens).

GAME 1 - HUNTER

(sort of a mafia feel - kill your targets without being discovered)

• Players are a relatively new Cell (small organized group) of Hunters who are contacted by a mysterious individual, offering them the chance to kill some powerful/high-profile supernatural targets.
  • Players will have to locate their targets through investigation, plan their method for dealing with them, then carry it out.
  • Players must be careful, if they expose themselves too much, the other targets will pre-emptively take the fight to them instead, likely resulting in their deaths.
  • Additionally, regular human law enforcement isn't going to just ignore a high-profile CEO mysteriously going missing - they don't know he's supernatural, and can only assume you "hunters" murdered/abducted an honest businessman. So you must be careful about leaving evidence.
  • Hunters gain "practical EXP" more frequently during the story, as opposed to just regular EXP at the end of chapters - basically, Hunters level faster than other creatures.
  • Hunters have emphasis on teamwork, and employ group Tactics (abilities/actions which require everyone in the group to know the skill, and to participate in rolling for its success).

GAME 2 - OTHERS

(sort of a mystery feel - find out what is going on/who the culprits are)

• Players are supernatural creatures who are contacted/discover that various supernatural hiding places/codes of communication have been broken by Hunters, resulting in several ambushes and traps due to false/altered communications etc. Many supernaturals have died, and you could be next.
  • Players will have to investigate and learn how/why their secret codes etc have been broken, and find those responsible.
  • Players will have to avoid Hunters discovering them, avoid falling into the aforementioned traps and ambushes, and perhaps deal with other interferences.

SO, what we need from you guys is some clarification of the votes and what you think of these. Would you want to join GAME 1, as a Hunter, or join GAME 2, as something else (and if so, what exactly are your preferences for that, in order). We want to start the signups and character creation midweek next week, and start the actual games the following week.

Hmmm I'd vote for Game 1, but only because it sounds a lot more fleshed out structurally...

I can't really picture Game 2 playing out as a proper game, it feels a lot more like classic RPing to me. If I knew more about the mechanics of Game 2 my vote may have ended up being cast in their favor. But either way, I chose the sin eaters. So yea I'd pick them if I were in Game 2.

You guys could always just start with the idea you're more confident in; there's always time to shine the spotlight on other races. Like the poor mummies.

I know I picked Geist, Hunter, Changeling, Promethean and Human. I'd prefer Game 2, I guess. I prefer to play WoD as an hapless character faced with the dreadful unknown; Hunter might be too proactive and powerful for my tastes.

The Hunters will be new-ish to their trade so there is the option of being a newbie who doesn't yet truly know what they're about to get themselves into. And it won't be a cruise, we plan to challenge characters' morals and mental fortitude just as much if not more than combat prowess and such.

And actually Noia you raised a bit of discussion between me and HH and we've decided that coming up with 2 original games from scratch will be too difficult for us to actually do well. The mechanics of something like the second game idea (and even the first) entail a lot of NPCs and ways to find clues using your various skills, which means we have to come up with a compelling series of clues and an unfolding mystery.

So the new plan is that Game 1 will be as described, because we really like our idea for that. For Game 2, we'll instead pick one supernatural creature (likely Geist, since it tied for the top vote with Hunter), and make use of one of the official pre-made games for it, tweaking it a little as we see fit.

The issue with that is we likely can't accommodate everyone, which is what we wanted to do. But we've arrived at the conclusion that doing so is too ambitious for us a this stage, so unfortunately not everyone will be able to play what they want.

SO, now, it comes down to whether you want to play Hunter or Geist (or both if you think you can handle two games at once).

The Hunters will be new-ish to their trade so there is the option of being a newbie who doesn't yet truly know what they're about to get themselves into. And it won't be a cruise, we plan to challenge characters' morals and mental fortitude just as much if not more than combat prowess and such.

Well, okay. Game 1 for me then! 

EDIT: Aiya, just sign me up for either one.

Well, okay. Game 1 for me then! 

Not meaning to sway Ether from his decision, but I'm very sure Geist will also "challenge characters' morals and mental fortitude just as much if not more than combat prowess and such". =P After all, we leave combat in the able hands of Seanzi.

But yeah, DayDay and I have sorta rounded up the Geist story too, and it belongs in the "thriller" genre, so I'm quite sure it'll involve a fair bit of haplessness and dreadful unknowns as well.

In any case, I apologise that DayDay and I seem so wishy-washy about this. We're both of us first-time STs (Storytellers is the WoD version of Dungeon Masters) and we're quite anxious that our first RPG(s) turn out successful and that you guys like everything. So we do want to make stories that appeal to as many of you as possible.

(also aw yeah Noia nobody likes the poor Mummies. Everyone, give some love to your Mum today!)

*shakes head sagely* The World of Darkness is all about choices, and sacrifices, and learning that you can't have everything you want.

The game hasn't even started and we're getting punished already!

But I'm sure we'd all enjoy whatever you guys put out.  :lol:

I suppose I shouldn't let my drumstick ghost go to waste, huh. xD