Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Erogenous Enigma

The Elder Scrolls

20 posts in this topic

Not the story, just the universe. It is a game series very dear to me and I've played through Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim multiple times. Recently I was invited to the beta for The Elder Scrolls Online and now I'm just all giggly about the game so I thought I'd do a roleplay loosely based around it. 

I'm not looking to roleplay any of the stories, but just to borrow the world and lore as it is a soft cozy place for me. It also lays out a map for us to work with and a magic system to work off of. I do not have a story plot, in fact I was kinda of hoping to do a free lance sort of play. We design characters and throw them into the world, we met up, we adventure and we can swap back and forth deciding on what quests we will embark on, whether it's saving a damsel or recovering retired Hides-His-Eyes lost dagger. We will build rapport with cities and guilds, build a friendship or more(depending on who is interested and their interests), or maybe we'll hate each other and constantly be trying to kill the other, or maybe just rivals fighting to get ahead in whatever we do. If you want to build a plot, I'm more than happy too, I just don't want to follow the predesignated stories in the games, as they are designated to a single player which isn't too friendly with multiple players.

I'm thinking we should limit ourselves to just Skyrim(rather have Morrowind, or Cyrodiil, or even one of the others: Hammerfell, Black Marsh etc? just let me know we can discuss the pros and cons of each province.)

Not familiar with The Elder Scrolls Series? That's okay! We will not be following any of the story lines, it is simply a universe to play in and I'm more than happy to talk about the games, or you're free to google search them. Mostly you just need to know the map, the races, and the magic system(Mostly just what kind of magic is available), beyond that it's a medievalish fantasy setting. 

This sounds like fun~ O: 

I don't usually do big group RPs, especially ones without a more specific direction, but I do love this world. Maybe once there's been a little more discussion about characters and some plot ideas I'll be more up for it. c: 

Sticking with Skyrim seems like a good idea, though. I'm familiar with Cyrodiil as well but it would make things a little simpler, IMO. But I'll let any others get an opinion in since it might be a week or so before I can actively participate anyway. 

Massive elder scrolls fan, and despite my other RPs, I might have to add this to my list. I'd been considering doing a TES rp for some time. I'll stay neutral for now and wait and see what interest this generates and what direction people want it to go in and then i'll see if I can join.   :3

Hrm. Not sure I'll commit to this just yet but you have piqued my interest and I'll keep an eye on it as it develops.

Well, it's pretty awesome to see so many people intrigued at least! I wasn't sure I'd hear from anyone for a few days at least. 

I'm not really sure what to do for plot ideas, we could do something with one of the many deadric lords, either followers of one or to eradicate a cult. Or we could go more political with a threat against the emperor(and hopefully we save him, hahah), or maybe we're trying to kill him. We could split up, half of us for, half of us against, or if someone wants to be the big, bad, evil guy. I don't have any nifty really unique ideas on what to do.

I'm still for free lance, we can start as guild members, adventures, traders, or whatever you desire, brought together by an odd arrange of events, and find ourselves working towards a common goal. With this set up, I think it would be in our best interest to play widely varying characters so we each have obvious roles and no one is pushed to the way side. 

We could do some sort of hybird of these two and get really close to the TES set up, where we have a main plot but we often drift off doing side quests.

I like the idea of involving one of the daedric princes... I'll have to read up a bit and refresh my memory on the options we have there. At the moment I'm not having any clever ideas, but I'll think more on it in the next few days. I like the idea of there being a bigger goal and then smaller sidequest sort of things. 

To be honest, though, I've played Oblivion and Skyrim for hours on end but I haven't completed the main storyline in either, sooo there may be some integral details I'm not aware of - especially concerning the fate of Skyrim/the Stormcloaks. Just throwing that out there. I guess I'll probably need to get spoiled on that in order to participate here. :c But I can handle that. 

1 person likes this

I think maybe the best thing to do would be like a 'what if', and set the story in an area that has yet to be explored properly in recent games. Somewhere interesting like the sands of Elsweyr or the forests of Valenwood. That way, yes, there would be a degree of things like towns, etc. that might be canonical but equally we'd feel more comfortable with creative license. I mean, Skyrim is like... lol. Burnt into my mind of where we can and can't go, and how big/small it is, etc. 

It's not necessarily a bad thing to have Skyrim burnt into your mind, we don't have to do current Skyrim, we could do a version of Skyrim from 500 years ago so none of the quests or people or possibly even all the locations you know are valid(Obviously there wouldn't be Imperial and Stormcloak camps). Skyrim would be run by Stormcloaks(though I think they'd just be guards hahah) most people would worship Talos, and we wouldn't have to worry about ruining any ending for Sunset. 

If you're really set against Skyrim, I'd next go to Cyrodiil. I think working with a familiar province will create common ground for us to play in, instead of something we have to draw out ourselves, which may vary from player to player and we'll end up with that 'follow-the-leader' type roleplay. What's more Cyrodiil is pretty well rounded in... land... weather... type(I can't think of the damn word) there are snowy mountains up north, swamps down south, and all the middle ground in between. It's run by the Imperial Legion, the Emperor is close by if we decide to throw him into the mix, we could even play as members of the blades being so close to home base. 

I like the idea of involving one of the daedric princes... I'll have to read up a bit and refresh my memory on the options we have there. At the moment I'm not having any clever ideas, but I'll think more on it in the next few days. I like the idea of there being a bigger goal and then smaller sidequest sort of things. 

To be honest, though, I've played Oblivion and Skyrim for hours on end but I haven't completed the main storyline in either, sooo there may be some integral details I'm not aware of - especially concerning the fate of Skyrim/the Stormcloaks. Just throwing that out there. I guess I'll probably need to get spoiled on that in order to participate here. :c But I can handle that. 

Sunset has the right idea. The Daedric Princes should be more involved.  Boethiah, Clavicus Vile, and Sanguine are some of my favorites that don't get enough attention (the Daedric Princes of deceit/conspiracies, faustian bargains, and debauchery/hedonism, respectively

1 person likes this

Quite true. I don't know what i'd play if I join. I think i'd like to play something that has a lot of history. Either one of the first vampires made by Molag Bal or maybe a Snow Elf, or something like that would be interesting... as for the main story, there are a lot of ideas. Though I like the idea of involving the daedric princes, equally, Oblivion for me was the most dire of the elder scrolls series, the rest were fantastic but the whole oblivion crisis thing made me yawn.

If we were going to do something, i'd quite like it to be like, maybe something to do with a prophecy of the end of the world. The whole thing about Skyrim was that mr.grumpydargon came too early but ultimately, he WAS going to destroy the world, eventually. So, some time in the future, he'll be back and destroy Nirn, and remake it. It would be interesting to see like, either a prophecy involving that and trying to stop it, or maybe even the start of the story re-making the world in this cyclical fashion and our characters coming to be birthed in this new, and yet old world, I dont know. Plenty of good ideas mentioned by you guys. For me, i've always felt that character stories outweigh the main plot in terms of importance, if we make great characters then the story will fall into place where it may. 

Sanguine is one of my favorites. I ran into him on accident in Skyrim once and garnered his favor, hehe. But a prince of deceit/conspiracies is a good option to include in an RP, I think. There are lots of ways we could weave that into a plot. 

Between Skyrim and Cyrodiil, I think I'd vote for Skyrim. I just.. like it more. Haha. (Even though Cyrodiil is super pretty.) The sands of Elsweyr are tempting, but I know literally zilch about the countries other than Skyrim and Cyrodiil. Creative license is good, but I like having some sort of base knowledge to go off of.. Although, I guess we could start our story in Skyrim or wherever for a while and end up having to travel to some other country, like Elsweyr or Valenwood, due to our quest. o: One of our members could be from whichever country we have to go to, and they'd end up being a guide of sorts at that point, being the only one familiar with the place. 

Just tossing out ideas. But I'm all right with what Ero said about making the story take place however many hundreds of years before Skyrim does. 

Valentine... I guess I haven't gotten far enough in the main story quests to really know what you're talking about there D8 So I'm not sure I understand fully. But you're right about characters vs. plot. I'll have to think on what sort of character I'll be playing.. But I'mma let you guys discuss time period and stuff, since I seem to be a bit more a newb than you guys when it comes to TES. 

What did I say that you dont understand? If it's story/quest related, i'll just give you a look. lol. So you don't get any spoilers. But uh, otherwise, i'll fill you in, sorry that I didn't make any sense eh?

the whole oblivion crisis thing made me yawn.

If we were going to do something, i'd quite like it to be like, maybe something to do with a prophecy of the end of the world.

For me, i've always felt that character stories outweigh the main plot in terms of importance, if we make great characters then the story will fall into place where it may. 

Yes, yes and yes, lol. I was so sick of going into Oblivion gates I was at the point of bashing my face into the keyboard(and the ending! Augh! I came to be the hero, not the hero's lackey!), however, I still felt Cyrodiil was a beautiful place and I thoroughly enjoyed the faction questions, specifically the Dark Brotherhood, after having killed them in Morrowind - Tribunal, I was tickled I could actually play as a member, for that much the story was epic. I had a serious gamer crush on Lucien Lachance. 

I'm all for prophecy of the end of the world. But what is going to cause the end of the world and how are we supposed to stop it? Blood of a Deadric Prince? A weapon made of the bones of a Winged Twilight? (Fear the wrath of Azura for slaying her messengers?) Or perhaps we'll need the heart of an Aureal and the eye of a Mazken?

Maybe the Daedric Prince is trying to make all of Nirn their own domain, and we must convince the other Daedric Princes of the one's plot. We'll have to do some ridiculous task for them so they'll give us their blessing and/or object to aid us. 

How the hell this flew under my radar for so long i dont know but I Am In.

I like the idea of the daedric lords being involved however an end of the world setting... I'm not sure.

So now I'm just going to throw in a few ideas I've had for a while now:

a small group of adventurers are lured into a spectral tower that appears at random locations throughout the lands. inside they find a strange labyrinth defying the laws of reality. if this is a sick game for a bored daedric lord or some sort of test is unknown until the unlucky visitors reach the top of the tower.

We follow the last Listener of the dark brotherhood as he tries to regain the former glory of his almost extinct order, finding allies and old friends and uncovering the ancient traditions long forgotten to bring the Brotherhood back on it's feet (could be post skyrim, could be post Oblivion storyline, DB does seem on the brink of doom a lot of times doesn't it?)

a small group of pilgrims seek to earn the favour of their daedric prince, and go on a quest to conquer a city.

my suggestion is to start off small, it's an adventure friendly world. for example i once was part of an RP on the BethSoft forums which started off as a simple wedding party in Skingrad. however when an assassination attempt on the count is discovered and the players framed for the attack it leads to a long journey through the wilderness to escape the authorities and try to uncover the real culprits. nobody saw that coming.

a small group of pilgrims seek to earn the favour of their daedric prince, and go on a quest to conquer a city.

This could be a lot of fun with Sanguine. Not so much to conquer the city, but to send it into utter scandal and debauchery, hahah. Turn the Princess into a whore! Convince Herald to kill his brother cause he stole his love interest. Turn formal gathering into a group indulgence of Felldew!

It might be a bit cliché but it might be a better idea to do something that would involve characters regardless of them being good, evil or anything in between. If the world is ending, its generally in everyone's best interest not to let it get that far. But not all characters would be willing to go on a violence-filled debauchery-fuelled rampage, or other such things. It should be something that would bring a host of characters together, with greatly varying abilities and backgrounds, for the sake of variety and interest.

It might be a bit cliché but it might be a better idea to do something that would involve characters regardless of them being good, evil or anything in between. If the world is ending, its generally in everyone's best interest not to let it get that far. But not all characters would be willing to go on a violence-filled debauchery-fuelled rampage, or other such things. It should be something that would bring a host of characters together, with greatly varying abilities and backgrounds, for the sake of variety and interest.

Well, I gatta agree with that. Also, I like the epicness, and sense of urgency that comes with end of the world stories. 

Well, I have another idea, taking place post anything we know, and if you've played Morrowind you might go "Wait this sounds familiar..." that's because I'm stealing ideas and some lore and morphing it. Three artifacts are designed, said to have the power of gods, we're going to create them, and along the way we're going to receive warnings from greater powers(Daedric Princes?) telling us to cut it out. Each of us are commissioned(or manipulated in some way) to retrieve certain items for certain reasons which will help in the construction of these items. As we are in the process the warnings will get more dire, they'll start sending minions to assassinate us, and before we finish Tamriel will have fallen into full on war. The Daedric overrunning entire towns trying to prevent these items from being created. This will occur in a time where the Dwemer are still around, as they will be the ones creating the artifacts. They are Wraithguard, Keening, and Sunder. We're not bound to these, we could always toss it up and make our own artifacts. Or maybe we're commissioning the Dwemer to make artifacts for us for whatever reason. 

Actually, Valentine, I ended up having a discussion with Bleck shortly after I made that post and he explained what I was confused about. So no worries!! Hahah;; 

Honestly, so far the only concept that's been discussed that's still holding my attention is what Val said about our characters being reborn in a new Nirn. I'll bow to you guys of course if the majority is for another plot, but I think that sounds interesting. The beginning of the RP could be, well, the end of the old Nirn, maybe our characters are all of different moral persuasions like has been mentioned already but are fighting on the same side for the sake of saving the world*.. but then several posts in or so they all fail and everything is reborn. I'm not exactly sure what this rebirth implies, like, if they'd still be the same people and if all the other people of the world would also be reborn and... yeah, that'll have to be outlined a little. But that seems like a fresh concept that could be fun to play with. Would the layout of the world have changed as well? 

*Or, alternatively, maybe one or two of them are nutcases actually on Alduin's side instead and wanted the rebirth to happen, so when it does they're all happy and shit, but then they realize this new world has dangers too and end up having to begrudgingly stick with our other dudes anyway. 

(**Oh, maybe another alternative could be that everyone's lost their memory after the rebirth....?)

I'm not sure if I'm making sense, do feel free to skip this if it sounded better in my head than it does here. >__> 

(And to be fair, the idea with Sanguine and having to convert a place to debauchery and craziness also sounds fun, but I'm not sure how we could make that the sort of story we seem to be after... Unless his goal is much bigger somehow?)

I don't see how being born into a new Nirn is a plot, it's a detail, but it's not a plot. Okay, we are born into a new Nirn and... now what? We're still left with where do we go from there? Unless we're talking about we failed at protecting the world from being reborn, and then it's the prior that is the story, we wouldn't begin after the world was reborn. Then we still need why's and how's and what we do after we fail. Do we wonder around Nirn scratching our heads? Are we trying to rebuild society? Is Nirn the same or is the very land structure different, because if that's the case it kind of defeats the point of using Tamriel as a base. I just don't know what to do with that one. 

Ah, yeah... We do need a more driving plot for that one. What I was thinking was that something about this new Nirn would be deranged somehow, like there are new creatures that perhaps were intended to protect their respective habitats/fellow animals from outside forces, but they're really dangerous/uncontrollable, or something like that. Maybe nature itself becomes capable of throwing out those that would do harm to it, so simply strolling through the forest turns into something very inadvisable. Maybe some fanatic wants to take advantage of everything's fresh and "vulnerable" state and try to start a new messed up empire. Seems like there's lots of things we could do with it, really. I wonder how the Daedra would be affected by this. Would Oblivion have also been remade, is that how it works? Would Oblivion even still exist? 

Anyway, I feel like the land would be the same, but maybe everything's just fresher and more vibrant. Places where crops used to not be able to grow would now have healthy soil and the like, forests are a bit bigger and greener, the water cleaner. Maybe Skyrim would be very slightly warmer/more forgiving than it used to be (or hell, maybe the opposite). Things like that. Though it makes me wonder if all the buildings/castles would still be around. 

I guess the thing I said about Alduin groupies still having to side with our other characters after the rebirth sorta ties in with what I just said about nature being much more dangerous now. So there'd still be cause for our characters to have to stick together, and their goal could be to stop whatever rogue is trying to take over the new world (or throw it into bloody chaos, whichever way that happens to go). Or humans could decide these new nature-protectors aren't worth it for all the needless deaths they cause and they must be killed. (This idea would imply that they have a lot more power or there aren't exactly a lot of them, maybe one or two for each biome/mountain range/forest/etc. sort of thing, but we don't necessarily have to do it like that.) Though I'm still not sure if all the people in the world would be reborn... Dunno what the parameters would be for people Alduin doesn't want around in his new Nirn. Guess it'd be simpler to say everyone's still around. 

Just my thoughts. Again!: I'm cool if you guys wanna continue discussing one of the other ideas instead. I just got a little caught up imagining this one. : P Maybe regular old Tamriel is more the flavor we're after, here. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0