Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DayDreamer

Through the Ebon Gate (nWoD - Geist)

60 posts in this topic

Through the Ebon Gate

Sin-Eaters know that their strange existence is a complicated one. They stand at
the crossroads between life and death and endure all the complications of both.
But there are others, desperate for something to believe in, who believe that a Sin-
Eater’s bond with her geist is a blessed state of unification and a triumph over
the limitations of the human form.

These souls make up the brethren of the Glorious Church of the Unified Spirit.
They have been told that their path lies not in life or death, but in a divine state
somewhere in between. Those who have only experienced one life cannot achieve
true enlightenment. The sacred symbiosis of spirit and flesh must be achieved to
take the next step. Sin-Eaters are their saints, their bodhisattvas. The brethren
are told that they must step through the black gate to reach their potential. They
are told that this is humanity’s next step – humanity’s destiny.

They are misled.

- from the Through the Ebon Gate SAS book, not our own description unfortunately

What You Need to Know

This game is being run by both me and HH, we're both quite equally informed and in charge of it, so any queries can be directed at either of us. Once the game begins, we'll both be conducting posts covering NPC and storytelling actions, depending which of us is online when the storyteller is required.

This game will feature Sin-Eater characters exclusively. You will need to refer to the basic nWoD guide in this subforum if you're unfamiliar with it. The basic guide covers much of character creation and WoD in general, then the newly added Sin-Eater guide covers what you need to know for Sin-Eaters in particular. You'll find all the rulebooks here, you'll need both the World of Darkness and Geist: The Sin-Eaters books to refer to.

We'll be using this dice roller, it's customized for nWoD so it's perfect.

The setting is Old Fork City It is a busy city with a bustling nightlife, but its income inequality is apparent. There are big houses with shiny cars, and then there are parks where homeless people crowd at night. The city boasts an artistic atmosphere. Musicians and buskers can be seen in underground tunnels. However, if you take a close look, you may find that they are never the same people. It almost seems as if they vanish after performing for a couple of nights. The city also has a grand Art Museum.

Players

Sean / Isaac

Noia / Rose

Ethereality / Mikaeus

Trioctium / Bianca

NPCs

Starla

The girl with the dirty glasses

Geist: You, a hunchback

- researches on murder and suicide cases

- knows of cases even the police don't wish to reveal

- mentioned the story of a food court lady who poisoned all her customers

- suggested Japanese internet suicide clubs as a clue

Jayne

The girl who rids Riders

Geist: The Kleptomaniac, a woman who takes things

- can single-handedly help possessed people

- has Mikaeus on Facebook and seems really friendly with him

- reported of a case in the library where a ridden girl was cross at her for helping

Mateo

The misunderstood suicide bomber

- bombed himself and all passengers in a train as it was crashing into a carnival

- is a member of something that want to transcend a "Black Gate" and become Sin-Eaters

- is anguished that he failed

- has a friend, Marci, whom he fears will go the same route

- anchors at the carnival with promises that she will be kept safe and that he will be able to Pass On

- from the Through the Ebon Gate SAS book, not our own description unfortunately

*coughs* Just thought I'd mention here that I did write a description for it, but it was chucked in favour of the official one. So it's not as though we were being lazy. *chin up*

1 person likes this

Alright I got this for now : //edited, since its no longer the latest version//

Currently too tired to wanna make any more cross checks. But that's the general gist I'm going with for now.

I might just do a 180 and change everything though. Got a whole week to cram with anyway.

(i noticed some of the skills are missing from the wod guide... Couldn't find hypnosis anywhere. And some other skills that I can't recall. The 3 Haunt merits were giving me trouble too, apparently the group can pool their merit points for those 3 merits? )

Looks pretty good. You haven't assigned all the Skill dots you could've, nor the skill specialities yet, though maybe you're still considering those. Also, your Plasm starts at 5 (plus 1 for each point in a Haunt merit as well).

Ah, I see what you mean about hypnosis, took me a while to get what you meant. Basically what you mean is the drop-down boxes for merits have some things in there that aren't in the rulebooks? I believe this must include all the things from various rulebooks, however indeed Hypnosis is not in the basic WoD book or in Geist. I think it's best to just ignore those, unless you really like the sound of them, in which case you'll have to try to find out which rulebook they're in. I've done some searching of the PDFs of other core rulebooks for Hypnosis, and I still can't find it. There's a lot of extra books in each setting that have some extra things, and I don't have all of them.

So we'll generally follow the same rule as we did in Sean's DnD game - if you want to use something from outside the WoD and Geist main books, find it for yourself and we may allow it.

Okay with Haunts, yes you can pool merits, and this is something you may want to organize as a group. For those yet to read up, a Haunt is basically a clubhouse for your group. It's a cenote somewhere for you guys to basically hang out in (although you won't really live there, because sleeping in a cenote gives you horrible nightmares, so you cannot "rest" properly in one). The main benefit aside from being a general meeting place is your Plasm can be recovered there, so it's always good to have a Haunt so you can go there to rest from injuries and recharge some Plasm after a fight. It's by no means vital to have though.

You can spend your own merit points on a Haunt for yourself, but to get a decent Haunt without using up all your own Merit points, it's better for each player to pool a point or two into a shared Haunt. Additionally, each player that contributes at least 1 point to the Haunt is able to use the Haunt as well.

Utility = how useful the Haunt is as a regular, earthly place. A 1-dot Haunt may be some basement you don't legally own, so it's not hugely secure. The more dots, the bigger and more useful the Haunt is. It might become a large abandoned warehouse with all manner of tools and facilities for you to use.

Fluidity = connection to the Underworld. Given Haunts are cenotes, your Haunt can have an Avernian Gate in it. If it does, Fluidity points add to your rolls for opening the Gate. They also add to rolls for Ceremonies, and other Underworld-related acts.

Residue = amount of plasm generated. Each dot is 1 point of Plasm per week generated.

So, if you guys want a shared Haunt, you each must put at least 1 dot into at least one of the Haunt aspects so you all can access it. So basically work out how good of a Haunt you want, and work out who'll put how many points into it.

Oh yea I confused it with attributes. It's 11/7/4, not 5/4/3. Lucky you caught it.

I'll do up the rest of the changes and edit the link later on at night, most probably.  :lol:

And ye Haunts do seem pretty useful, considering how troublesome/ downright dangerous the other methods of obtaining plasm are.

So... wanna get a HQ, guys?

Also I believe you guys get to choose what exactly the Haunt is, as far as the sort of location/building, so you can consider that too, although it obviously depends how many dots you plan to invest.

For that matter, feel free to describe your characters or write up a neat backstory for them too. Even though RPGs are meant to be short and sweet, I love when mechanics and stats come to life.

I haven't had the chance to read the rulebooks yet (they keep crashing on my phone) but a Haunt sounds cool. I wouldn't mind contributing a few dots to the cause.

I'm contributing 1 to Utility and 1 to Residue, fyi

EDIT: My sheet, for now. I'll probably end up changing some stuff.

It's getting harder and harder thinking up cool 4-lettered names I:

I tried saving the pdf with the input data last time round but it'd only let me save the blank, unsigned version, so I redid it from scratch today with the online one.

I'm sticking with Rose, Chicken drumstick woman would have to wait. She's pretty much final I guess. Just gotta tap out some backstory now.

http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/30074

For yours Sean, the Allies merit will need slight tweaking. The amount of dots determines influence within a single organization or circle. The way it is now, as a single entry, you'll have to choose either police OR mafia as your allies that you have two dots of influence with. If you want to have Allies in both police and mafia, you'd need to have the Allies merit on the sheet twice. You could then have different values for it, such as two dots in the one for mafia and one dot in the one for police, to signify different levels of influence, or however you want it.

You're also still missing your Virtue and Vice, but everything else seems to be in order.

For yours Noia, you'll want to set your speed to 10, because Fleet of Foot gives you +1. Also, you filled in the squares under the circles for Health and Willpower - those are meant to be left blank for now to mark damage later.

"Bad sense of direction", I can't find that Flaw so I'm assuming you made it up yourself? That is fine, the books list some but you can indeed make up your own freely. Should be a very interesting one to play with *gets some ideas already*

However are you sure you want to have Paranoia? That's a Severe Derangement, and you'll suffer penalties to social rolls (and you've a fairly significant social focus so that's gonna interfere with you a lot). And if anyone acts even slightly weird around you, you'll have to pass a Resolve + Composure roll (with -2 penalty) in order to not freak out and attack them or run from them. All cool if you wanna play your character as such, but that is a pretty big hindrance so just making sure you know what you'd be getting into.

So much for making up flaws I:

Totally deserved that debuff

I edited the sheet to reflect the changes, too!

If it helps you guys with deciding how your characters know each other, there's a whole part in the Geist book about Sin-Eater gatherings, all this stuff about carnivals and festivals celebrating life and death. Also, the start of this story is going to have you all attending such a carnival, so you can always say you guys met during a Sin-Eater gathering in past and decided to form a group.

There's also the concept of "Krewes", which are officially-bound groups of Sin-Eaters, like guilds, and they can be small enough for you guys to be one together by yourselves. It comes with some potential mechanical benefits (as well as flavourful ones, such as choosing a Krewe name and symbols and things), but I need to read up on it again myself to explain any further than that.

But I'll take a look, and so you guys could basically say you met at a Sin-Eater gathering and formed a Krewe for the sake of having an official group and the benefits it entails. So you wouldn't need to worry too much about getting along, as you would tolerate some annoyances for the sake of group benefits (and if you're particularly disagreeable, your story could be that you looked into potentially joining other Krewes, but they were even worse).

In that case, someone will need to learn the Krewe Binding ceremony, yeh?

I'm assuming it's gonna take a relatively long amount of time to scrap together enough exp points to unlock a new merit, so it's better if someone started with Ceremonies from the get go...

I think I'll go with Ceremonies then. They look pretty useful.

Alright, I'll probably also invest some points in there the moment I get some experience.

In the Americas it’s enough to have a color, a tag, and maybe a few secret 

handshakes and hand signs to get by.

I vote for the double fistbump to be our official secret handshake!

Just...just kidding

Finished writing my bio up to the point of Isaac's death. I'll have to read a bit about how becoming a Sin Eater works before I write the rest.

Each ceremony is acquired as its own Merit, by the way. So you don't learn "ceremonies" itself, you'd be looking at spending your merit points on specific ceremonies, so you can just grab any that you particularly want.

I've read up on Krewes, and it's going to be a lot of work for you guys for what I'd consider little gain. On page 179 starts the details of Krewe creation, and on 184 you'll see the potential benefits (only Tier 1 ones since you guys won't have enough people to go higher). Basically, it's a lot like forming a religion. You'll have to pool your characters and their Geists beliefs and traits, and come up with various details such as your group's beliefs about the creation of the world, the nature of death, ghosts, and the afterlife, and their ethos (how your group will behave or what their goal is). Your Geists will then also have to be expanded upon to embody aspects of your krewe's mythology. And then, throughout the story, you'll be rewarded or penalized depending on whether you stick to your Krewe's ethos and such.

Your Krewe will have its own EXP and Merits you'll all share in. Possible benefits in Tier 1 include being able to pool your Resources/Contacts/etc Merit points, being able to use one of each others' manifestation/key combination powers, or gain extra conditional dice (so one of you may decide to gain +2 dice on rolls when you're fighting a ghost, however these must be decided ahead of time, and if they don't happen you don't get any benefit). Also you're supposed to gain the EXP to spend, as far as I can see your Krewe starts with none.

Soo, yeah, if you guys want to go to the effort of building a mythology and all for your Krewe, that's what it takes to gain the benefits. If you don't want to bother with that for this, you can just be an unofficial Krewe (which is a thing, it says any group of Sin-Eaters who hang out a lot are looked at as being a Krewe anyway). Of course, you could always potentially form an official Krewe during play still.

Well, if this first bit is the first time our characters are meeting each other, then maybe it'll make more sense not to be a krewe now. We could start one up in subsequent arcs if there are any.

Is it necessary to be a krewe to create a Haunt? The rulebook seems to imply so. But I'm only up to pg30. =p

EDIT: Guess we could be a Cult.

It's the other way. You need a Haunt to form a Krewe, but you can have one and not be a Krewe. Haunt comes first basically.