Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TriOctium

Murder Mystery Feedback

19 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! As I will be hosting the next murder mystery game after Val hosts his Mafia (I think), I'd like to gather some feedback about what you guys thought of DD's game so I can improve on it for the next iteration. (DD mate if you have any feedback too just post them here as well)

Please rate the game from 1 to 10, with 1 being Wstfgl and 10 being super awesome, on the following criteria. It would help if you provided comments as well. The more the merrier!

1) How fun did you find the game to be? What is 1 thing you liked the most? What is 1 thing you disliked the most?

2) How did you find the pacing of the game? Was it too fast or too slow?

3) How interesting/useful was the Converse function? Did you have trouble keeping track of all the traits? Was revealing 1 trait every night enough to solve the mystery?

4) How interesting/ effective were Items & Rooms? Did you have trouble keeping track of the colors and what they meant?

5) How interesting/effective were the various Day and Night Actions you could perform? Would you have liked to be able to do more actions?

6) How balanced do you think the game is? What is 1 improvement you would make to make the game more balanced?

Miscellaneous questions ( no need for ratings ):

7) Do you think the game was too complicated? Too simple?

8) Would you have liked the discussion to be more similar to the old Mafia style instead of being dependent on hard evidence? Or does the addition of evidence make it easier to identify the murderer?

Thanks for answering! And stay tuned for Murder Mystery 2: A Space Odyssey!

It was complicated but not impossible to understand. Game started off with cross checks but after most of the items are revealed it kinda boiled down to guesswork. I drew up a chart like what Eth and Valentine did but couldn't really make much headway until Seanzilla went in and processed the gathered data. xD

The traits didn't really help narrow the suspect down in this case since most of the people had avr to abv avr dexterity.

I was a little more active in the game at one point of time due to the failed planting incident... If more little incidents happened to more people it might motivate them to roll up their sleeves and pitch in, since it kinda gives people the feeling of them actually getting embroiled in the plot instead of just investigating and reporting findings, then going away. 

Everything else was great  :lol:

This is the first time I'm playing a forum game though so I can't really compare it to anything, but it was fun.

8/10

I, personally, was not a huge fan of the game as played on a forum. I think this would make a fun board game, or like... another layer to the game Clue. The reason I wasn't a huge fan of the game was because it became a process of elimination. I'll admit, I skimmed through most of the longer posts because what anyone said was mostly unnecessary to know. All I needed to know were your findings from the previous night. I think it was kind of hard to keep up with and if it wasn't so hard to keep tabs on what everything was and everything that was going on, I think it might have been easier to catch the murderer. In fact, I said during the game at one point that I felt like the murderer would have a very hard time winning, since we were all permitted to share everything we discovered from the previous night. 

I think I prefer the mafia games because the talking is what's important in those games, which is necessary when playing on a forum, I think. 

Overall though, I think making the game from scratch turned out pretty solid, and it would make a decent board game, for sure. I just wasn't a fan of it on a forum.

Edit: I'll edit in my answers to the questions you posted too :)

1) How fun did you find the game to be? What is 1 thing you liked the most? What is 1 thing you disliked the most? I found it difficult to become engrossed in the going-ons of the game. It felt tedious to keep track of everything I had to keep track of in order to figure out who the murderer was. I thought the roleplaying aspect was fun. 6/10
2) How did you find the pacing of the game? Was it too fast or too slow? I felt like day phases were too fast and night phases were too slow. 7/10
3) How interesting/useful was the Converse function? Did you have trouble keeping track of all the traits? Was revealing 1 trait every night enough to solve the mystery? I did have a very difficult time keeping track of everything. I don't know if revealing one trait every night was enough, since I suppose it's random? It seems like it would be enough to solve the mystery, if you were able to keep them all straight. 5/10
4) How interesting/ effective were Items & Rooms? Did you have trouble keeping track of the colors and what they meant? I thought they were interesting, but I did have a difficult time keeping track of the colors. I had to keep multiple tabs open to refer to DD's PMs when I made any comparisons in game. 5/10

5) How interesting/effective were the various Day and Night Actions you could perform? Would you have liked to be able to do more actions? I liked being able to do a thing every night. As a normal innocent in regular mafia, you kind of just... hope you don't die during the night. In this game you had more control over what you could do, etc. 9/10
6) How balanced do you think the game is? What is 1 improvement you would make to make the game more balanced? I'm not sure, the game was relatively difficult to keep track of. N/A

Miscellaneous questions ( no need for ratings ):
7) Do you think the game was too complicated? Too simple? Too complicated
8) Would you have liked the discussion to be more similar to the old Mafia style instead of being dependent on hard evidence? Or does the addition of evidence make it easier to identify the murderer? I much prefer the discussion to be similar to the old mafia games.

From the perspective of someone who lurked briefly in the game;

it was super complicated and really kept me from thinking I would join any future games without having any clue of what was going on. I read about the first half of the game and a few pages in the end and still had no clue what was going on/it was still hard to follow. a lot of actions, a lot of items, a lot of rules and stats, blah blah and a lot of lucky guesses but still not knowing what to do.

I'm quite a simple person, and I found it quite complicated. I didn't really understand what was going on, and I just posted what I found out, without feeling very 'involved'.

It was only really a test run though, and I think DD did well.

Oh yes! I'll add that the game did look very well thought out and that those involved, game master and players, did a really good job developing and playing. It just seemed that the rules and mechanics were still all over the place and need its kinks worked out.

Yeah I think that now we understand the basic concepts of the game, it will be easier.

I do like the idea of strengths and weaknesses which are needed for the weapons, that way you can have some way of proving that people are innocent.

However, maybe a little variation in the weapons would be nice? (for example, some kind of paralysing drugs which use strength or dex instead of intelligence). I felt rather limited in my choice of weapons and the weapon I chose didn't really matter. (although the chainsaw at the end was a bad decision)

An other thing which really confused me the first few rounds were the character names, I still don't understand some of the names (why is Ack called featherbottom?) and I had to scroll back to the first page a few times before I got them lodged inside my mind.

But yeah, from a kira side I think my job was a little too easy, if Noia hadn't been as awesome in blocking my planting skills I wouldn't have had much of a problem I think.

Furthermore, I feel like that at the end of the game, before the last night, the innocents are always gonna guess randomly who to accuse, since they are going to lose either way anyway. So maybe you should lower the cost of accusations (more per game) or heighten them in such a way that they'd not want to use it even if it means losing the game (will be hard).

Just my three cents.

I think that being able to definitively prove someone "innocent" removes all reason to talk during the game. The thing about mafia games, was that there was no real way to prove someone's innocence. You had to take their word for it (except for specific situations, like someone dies, role revealed, brought back to life kinda thing). I think, as a forum game, the primary thing should be posting and talking, etc. Just my opinion though. 

Well in the end it sorta turned out with the desired balance: factual evidence narrowed the suspects to just 2 people, and it was up to old fashioned mafia talking to sort out which was guilty.

For those who got lost, the basic things that occurred:

- DG killed his first target with the blowtorch. Innocents were told the victim was burned, so they had to figure out what item couldve burned someone.

- DG botched the planting job, so Noia found the Blowtorch he tried to sneak onto her. They then had to find what room the blowtorch came from.

- They found (through Investigating rooms) it was from the Garage, and on the night of that first murder, only DG and Pain had visited the garage, so it must've been one of them.

- Blowtorch requires Average or higher Dexterity - both of them had such (found by Conversing) so that didnt narrow things further.

That all seems pretty simple when layed out like that, so I imagine the perceived complexity was due to how I layed out instructions and rules, so I apologize to those who couldn't follow and probably had a bad time.

Yeah. I think the game only seemed complicated because not all the instructions and mechanisms were laid out in the first page of the thread.

I actually thought that the game was well-balanced. If the innocents are able to coordinate their information-finding and room-searching, the murderer has a rather small margin for error. He can't really lie about where he searches early on cuz it's too easy to be caught lying. If not for a coincidence with Pain, DG's first move would have proved to be his downfall after he failed the planting attempt. Yet, despite it being a 11 vs 1 game, the murderer won this round. Quite balanced.

I actually liked that you can produce hard, solid evidence to back up your arguing, unlike the Mafia game. But I agree with Noia that motivation to keep up with the game can be improved by giving them more autonomy rather than just reporting stats and stuff as per the original, ideal version of the game. Of course, then it would have made the game even more complicated and troublesome for the GM to run.

Thanks for your feedback, everyone! I'm quite excited about hosting the game now that I've read all your replies, because it seems like the changes that I've made will address most of your concerns. For example, Innocents will now be able to Vote for up to 3 different actions to be taken in the Day Phase, while in the Night Phase, they may choose to perform 1 out of 4 possible Night Actions, each with their own benefits and risks. In addition, every player will have 3 unique skills, which will allow them to play their character in a more interesting manner rather than having to stick to the whole Vanilla Innocent model.

Secondly, as to the issue of Innocents having nothing to do after being proven to be innocent: My upcoming game will have a system whereby the enemy converts players to his side, somewhat like the relationship between the Sith Apprentice and the Jedi Padawan in the earlier Mafia game. In a way, I'd say that I'm combining Sanzi's Sith Among Us Mafia ideas with DD's Murder Mystery to create a hybrid mix of the two that will hopefully suit everyone's tastes. As such, nobody should find that they have no need to defend themselves, because anyone can be converted to the dark side at any time. I hope this will recreate the same atmosphere as the Mafia games.

And now, for a sneak preview!

You are part of a voyager crew of scientists, sent out on an extraterrestrial journey to discover new life on foreign planets. However, halfway during your space expedition, a malicious alien lifeform attacks your ship! Fortunately, your combined efforts manage to slay the beast without any issues, and its dead carcass is now housed in the ship’s laboratory for further investigation. However, things aren’t that simple…

Introduction

You are convinced that one of you has been infested by the alien lifeform and is now the Swarm Host, whose purpose is to take control of the entire ship. To do so, he/she must Assimilate other scientists into the Swarm until the total number of living Assimilated outnumber the total number of remaining Scientists.

Despite the gloomy situation hanging over everyone, there is still a way out! The dead body of the alien lifeform provides crucial Knowledge of the alien body structure, and may be key to revealing telltale signs of an Assimilated scientist. With enough Knowledge, a scientist may potentially be able to identify the Swarm Host itself!

In addition, the Assimilated will always show signs of infestation. Studies performed by the ship’s supercomputer have shown that Conversing with an Assimilated for enough times will reveal his infested identity via changes in his vocal range. It has also been shown that the Swarm Host will always enhance one Characteristic of the Assimilated, which will demonstrate a visible change in value after the scientist has been infested.

Finally, there are one or two of you who possess an immunity to the infestation. Although you are sure that the Swarm Host is bound to try and Murder or outnumber these individuals, they are protected by their anonymity.

Can you Exterminate the Swarm Host before it is too late?

The premise does sound interesting.  :lol:

Sounds like some charting will be needed to play your game too.

I was killed so early, but everything seemed really complicated. I think I might stick to mafia. D:

Well ack with my Swarm Mystery game, you most probably won't have the problem of getting killed off early. The Swarm Host has more incentive to Assimilate than Murder you, unless you are one of the few with immunity to being Assimilated. The only other way you can get killed is if you get Voted off by the majority (which is the same with the original Mafia games) or by an ability (like your Jedi Banhammer ability from Sanzi's game). There is still quite a significant amount of gameplay for Assimilated players, comparable to if not more than Scientists, so everyone should be able to play for as long as possible.

I'm making things simpler by removing the entire concept of Items & Rooms, and replacing them with more interaction between players. To Murder someone, the Swarm Host must coordinate his or her efforts with as many Assimilated players as possible without alerting the Scientists. To this effect, every player will have the ability to send private Messages to one another during the Night, but of course with limitations depending on the player's role. More details will be revealed as we get closer to the game date. However, the removal of Items & Rooms should not change the fundamental idea behind this Mystery game of gathering evidence and identifying suspects, which will be done through Traits and Characteristics, which will play a major part in the game. Knowledge will also be vital to the Scientists, as mentioned in the preview above.

Anyway, I'm glad people are already expressing interest! If you guys want, I can let you guys know the technical aspects and rules of the game earlier, so that there is more time for Q&A to clear up any uncertainties or queries about the rules of the game.

1 person likes this