Valentine

[COMPLETED!] MAFIA - A Marvellously DC Game

506 posts in this topic

Mafia is all about deceiving others, which is great. You can play it several ways, each effective in their own way. If you add in RNG you remove a lot of strategy.

Out of the 4 dead Villains two died to RNG, one died to a 'Hidden power' and the fourth just gave up. Then there's Kyo who gets random pieces of information, suddenly we hear about a bounty hunter and that bounty hunter dies that same turn. These innocents were indecisive and refused to vote off people, they were playing the game badly, but suddenly there's RNGulk to do all their work for them. It is incredibly frustrating for anyone I guess if their plans are ruined by a diceroll. RNG should be saved for RPGs and kept out of the rest.

The thing is, I guess it doesn't make sense that anyone who tried to control the Hulk with any night action would die. I accept if they fail, but death is a pretty huge penalty. And there isn't that much difference between controlling a Hulk and killing it, which is why we all believed it.

Good effort, though, Valentine. ^^

I think it's gotten to the point where you can no longer make educated guesses about anything, which is why the innocents were indecisive. In the original mafia, everyone knows what roles to expect and what they can do, after all. Early alterations were still tied to it and you could still try to match motives to variations of those known roles. But it has increasingly deviated to the point where motives cannot be guessed because the roles could be anything at all now.

I think in future players should be made aware of what all the roles are and what they can do, before the game starts.

Flavour wise it was cool and there's interesting powers and all, but it feels too far removed from mafia lately, with all the unknown powers, unknown role motives, and unknown twists. I think it needs to get back to the roots a bit, or otherwise spin off into an entirely different version of the game, with some adjustments to cater to the fact nobody knows what roles or motives to expect.

I really enjoyed how this game was done compared to some of the past ones. Made me want to be more active personally

random number generator

Four people asked me what it meant on Skype, guess I should've used a different term :D

1 person likes this