HerculeHastings

What Motivates You?

11 posts in this topic

I was reading about schools offering cash bonuses to students who score well, and recently in the news Pakistan was giving free scooters to girls who do well in school, I think. And so I started thinking whether these incentives will really encourage people to study hard and do well. It seems they do -- there haven't been negative results so far from what I can hear. Would you study harder if you had monetary rewards for your grades? Do you already have such incentives in place? And if not money, what would encourage you to work hard in anything then?

nothing motivates me

this is why I'm a big loser

(just kidding the only thing that motivates me is hot, androgynous men)

people are motivated by whatever they feel is rewarding. Money works overall because money can buy you the things you desire. 

What motivates me more than money though is the prospect of a good project, something inspiring. I work really hard on stuff that I feel is going to make a difference. If it's busy work that anyone can do I don't care. But if it's something I can do that makes a big difference then I'll be all fired up for it!

Yeah, in all seriousness, it's hard for me to get psyched for school because for the most part it just isn't interesting. Even though I do fairly well now that I'm an art major, I still struggle because I'm the type of person who just will not—cannot—do something that doesn't interest me.

I'm sure if I got paid, I'd be a lot more willing to do the things I find shitty and uninteresting.

Money motivates me like no ones business and I don't just mean receiving money, but the capability of not having to use it is immensely appealing to me. It motivates me to hunt through thrift stores to find what I want instead of buying new. I'm a big fan of craigslist's free section, I love hunting through to find treasures. It tickles me pink to have my outfit complimented when most of it came from thrift stores. 

In school the only thing that could motivates me to do well was consequence, I'm very sensitive to feeling like I've failed and a consequence is pretty much a stamp of failure in my opinion. Unfortunately being so afraid of failure has also prevented me from trying new things, since if I never try it I can't fail at it. What's more in school that meant doing "well enough" not "great" or "amazing" just enough to get by. In college it's a little different, since it returns to the previous paragraph about saving money, the idea of doing poorly and having to take a class twice is HORRIFYING! So I do very well so that doesn't occur. 

As far as like hobbies or doing projects, nothing can motivate me to do them, maybe boredom. If I'm bored enough I might do it, but otherwise I don't really do hobbies or projects that I don't 'have' to do. It's funny, I'm really good at drawing but I don't usually draw things, the last serious drawing project I did was a Christmas gift, beyond that I doodle out of boredom but I don't do 'projects.' Another one for me is writing, I have these wonderful stories flowing around in my head but never settle down and write them out. I always enjoyed art in high school and college because it would motivate me to do things, I love the results, but for some reason I don't have the self motivation to do it of my own accord. 

Oh yes, now that Ero's mentioned it, one thing I positively abhor is wastage. I hate wasting time, wasting electricity, wasting the ink of a pen and of course wasting money. So I try very hard to get everything done well once and not need to do it again. This does include doing well in school so that I don't repeat any of my courses.

Cheeseburgers is a good motivation. Or gold. Or golden cheeseburgers. Actually, just anything I can eat or horde.

I'd have to say money.  It's funny, I haven't bothered getting off my ass to take classes.  So I'm a huge procrastinator in that regard.  And I'd rather just kind of chill and do my own thing.  Yet when it comes to going in to work I will literally run myself ragged.  I work two jobs.  I go in to a Home Depot from 6am-2:30pm every day mon-fri.  And for the last year I'd also go in to some shit mcjob right after.  I finally got fed up and quit the place after their overnighters were slacking off (place never, ever closes) and their solution was to just schedule me even later until 1am when their night time rush would finally end.  I told them between clocking out there at 1am, and then going in to the next job and having to be there by 6am, I was only getting like 2 1/2 hours of sleep a night and it was fuckin' me up.  I told em' this and they basically just told me to piss off and deal with it.  So instead of giving them the finger and just walking out, I did it for another month or so until another place called me in for orientation.  Then I gave that mcjob like a day's notice and laughed in their faces when they told me they could have worked something out, because that ship had sailed the day I first brought it up and they told me to piss off.

But point is, I sure put up with that crap for longer than I ought to have because I wanted to replace em' first, so money obviously motivates me immensely.  Yet I procrastinate a lot of other things that don't directly pay me.  I need to clean up a little around here but don't feel like it when I get home, and won't until it reaches a certain point and finally drives me nuts.  I need to change the oil in my car, but will probably put it off a little longer.  Also still haven't taken it down to flush the transmission fluid and put a new filter in there ever since I bought it like I've planned on.  But I think that shelling out about $200 for something I'm doing as just a precaution because I'm not sure what the previous owners did with it, also contributes to that procrastination and like I said, I like my money lol.  Any of the cars of my make and model after 2005 have sealed transmissions, and not even a dipstick is under the damn hood to see for yourself what the stuff looks like.  So I can't do it myself for cheaper because they inject it all in there through a smaller plug hole at 30psi over at the dealerships.

I would work harder if I knew my efforts were going to be appreciated, definitely. Money is a strong motivator. People motivate (or unmotivated) me as well. If I'm in a group with good energy, I want to do more/better for them. Prizes/gifts don't usually motivate me, unless it's something I'm very interested in (a vacation, for instance).

Cheeseburgers is a good motivation. Or gold. Or golden cheeseburgers. Actually, just anything I can eat or horde.

I approve this message.