Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TriOctium

Overrated Sounds

20 posts in this topic

So. I was inspired (somewhat) by my recent karaoke submission, and decided that Creative Works didn't have to be just a forum about art. Music is also a form of art too! As such I shall open this thread as an experiment to see how things go from here.  :ph34r:

Overrated was originally a band consisting of Wstfgl, InvaderZard and I, but things didn't really work out after a while. Nevertheless the name stuck to me and I decided to use it for this thread. I will be posting up a few pieces shortly, since I intend on using this post as a content page of sorts. Stay tuned!

Overrated Sounds:

1) I Knew You Were A Fox (cover medley)

2) Birdplane (acoustic)

3) Secret Base (10 yrs after ver.)

4) Tong Hua (Piano)

5) You Should Become A Witch (medley)

6) Butter-Fly

2 people like this

For my first piece, here's I Knew You Were A Fox, a cover medley of several pop songs. I made tons of mistakes when recording this, but I played till my hands were sore so I don't think I could have gotten it any better.

The last song featured is Recruit's Anthem, a Singaporean production referencing conscript army life here. Listen to the original song here.

Do let me know what you think!

Song lineup:

1) The Fox - Ylvis

2) I Knew You Were Trouble - Taylor Swift

3) The Fox - Ylvis

4) Radioactive - Imagine Dragons (+ What Does The Fox Say?)

5) I Knew You Were Trouble - Taylor Swift

6) Heart Attack - Demi Lovato

7) Recruit's Anthem (Ah Boys To Men) - Tosh Zhang

1 person likes this

I think it is amazing, not even joking. I absolutely love how it all runs together so smoothly and it sounds like. Ugh. I think I'm gonna save this and listen to it until I ruin it for myself. AMAZING. And they hear those panties droppin' ;D hehe

Thanks everyone! After listening to it again for a few times I was made painfully aware of each mistake I made, haha. I'll try to make my next song smoother.

1 person likes this

Your mistake was that you didn't do more Demi Lovato songs

2 people like this

Your mistake was that you didn't do more Demi Lovato songs

My bad. I will attempt to include more Demi Lovato songs in the future.

"I Knew You Were A Fox" is a wonderful name.

Isn't it? But the question truly is... are you a fox?

Props for using Recruits' Anthem, but it's so out-of-place in that mix, haha.

The mix was originally used in a Social Night at the end of my Service Term, so it was fitting then. I made some changes to the song lineup to fit better on solo piano, but I decided to keep Recruits' Anthem because it has a nice tune and provides a suitable ending for the whole medley.

And here's an update! *yaaaaayyyy*

My first submission is an acoustic cover of Birdplane by Axis of Awesome. It's a parody of "It's Not Easy To Be Me (Superman)" by Five For Fighting. I tried something new this time - I recorded the keyboard first, then I sang, and then I played the guitar. After that I used an audio editor to combine all three, and it turned out pretty okay.

Secondly, here's a cover of Secret Base (10 yrs after ver.) from the anime AnoHana. Lower your volume slightly when listening to this, because it's quite high pitched. It sounded fine when I was playing, but because of my sucky mike, it ended up really whiny. Sorry about that!

1 person likes this

Great choice of instrument(?) for the anohana cover, prefer it over the original.

Bell tones made it extra delicate sounding, kinda reminds me of orgel music boxes.

I'm terrible at music related jargon so I'm probably saying a ton of things wrong here

buuut you get my drift.

probably.

hopefully.

Thanks XD

It was played using my keyboard. There was one sound called "Fantasia", which looked really cool so I tried it out. And it sounded really cool too. So I stuck with it. 

So because of Alisyn, this thread has another update! Behold, the piano rendition of Tong Hua. There may or may not be a second version with drunken singing by me, Wst, HH and Eth, depending on popular demand.

The second update to this thread is the piano medley, You Should Become A Witch, consisting of the songs Decretum followed by You Should Become A Magical Girl (both from Puella Magi Madoka Magica). Decretum is Sayaka's theme song, for those of you who don't recognize the name of the OST. This one's a bit long, because it's meant to be played as a background OST, but I really like the way the notes flow together. There are a few mistakes in the recording, but I got lazy and decided to upload it anyway (because doing a perfect 5 minute long song is too tedious). Enjoy!

2 people like this

;D

Look at me, encouraging you to increase your Creativity! (Or is it Dexterity? Hmmmm.....)

Drunk karaoke~~~

Well regardless of the mistakes you made, it's all very impressive. Simply being able to play piano takes a lot of skill. I sampled all the pieces and it does sound marvelous honestly. I like the sounds even through the recording quality. (I'm a harsh critic, ask Ice. Thus I will with hold my critiques)

Also, I respect that you have the courage to publicly display you works and such. Good on ya m8 (^.^)b

I screwed up and posted in the wrong thread. 

but yeah, 

Timey has mad skills, yo!

I promise to never say that again. 

I recently got a new piano that came with this MIDI recorder and silencer function, so I figured I might as well try it out. Here's a piano rendition of Butter-Fly, the first opening song for Digimon.

Uploading the video on youtube this time cuz apparently Soundcloud doesn't accept MIDI files.

Such skills (Y)

I know next to nothing when it comes to music but my ears were pleased, nevertheless

1 person likes this