Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DayDreamer

Nations Game

437 posts in this topic

I went looking for something like this, and found it here (<- just to give due credit because the details of this are entirely someone else's idea).

Nations

are things and stuff

This is a turn-based game where the goal is to imagine up your own nation, then play it out and attempt to lead it to glory. You will be playing alongside everyone else and their nations, of course.

The Map

The game takes place here, on a map of our own world: yS4LckT.png

In case you don't know how maps and borders work, the lines denote borders between provinces. You will begin with several provinces that will make up your nation, and as the game progresses you will expand your territory. The bold thick lines, which you'll notice particularly between Europe and Asia, are to divide continents (depending on the number of players, I may remove some continents from play to ensure people aren't too spread apart). You'll also notice hand-drawn boxes around some islands, particularly groups of islands - everything inside such a box is considered a single province (this is largely used to group tiny specks of lands into something more visible as a whole). If the box connects to land lines, that means the islands are part of that particular land province.

Gaining Territory

Each turn, you are able to expand into up to 5 adjacent provinces. You may expand onto islands as long as they are within your continent, and you have the Naval Tech to reach them. If two nations attempt to expand into the same province, then whoever sent their action first gets it. However, if one person sent an army to assist the expansion, that person gets it. If both people sent an army, then whoever sent the biggest army gets it.

Additionally, once your Naval Tech reaches Level 4, you are able to create colonies. Colonies can be any province not within your own continent. You are able to create 1 colony per turn for each level of your Colonial Tech (eg at Colonial Tech 5, you can create 5 colonies per turn). If your nation spans more than one continent, without going over ocean, you are able to create colonies without the requisite Naval Tech.

For each province you own, you gain 1G (gold) per turn. Each colony is worth 0.5G per turn.

Trade Agreements

For every two levels of Trade Tech, you can have one Trade Agreement. Each Trade Agreement provides 5G per turn for each level of your Trade Tech (if your Trade Tech is 5, each Trade Agreement is worth 25G per turn). You can only create Trade Agreements with nations bordering yours. However, you can create Trade Agreements with nations not bordering yours, if you have enough Naval Tech to reach them, and they have enough to reach you too. The target player must accept the Trade Agreement - it runs both ways, so both players will have Trade Agreements with each other.

Military

Armies cost 1GP each, and Navies cost 2GP each. When you attack a player's province, you choose how many Armies to send, and they choose how many Armies to defend with. If you attacking a province that is on another continent (and oversea), you require 1 Navy per 5 Armies. You can only attack overseas as far as your Naval Tech allows. If you attack an overseas province, the defender can choose to commit some Navies to the battle to intercept your transports - if they do so, your Navies will be battled against their Navies (and you can choose how many of your Navies to enter into the battle).

Combat

When a battle occurs, one 10-sided die will be rolled by me for each Army you have in the battle (your number of Armies will be multiplied by your Army Tech level multiplier). 8s, 9s, and 10s are considered "success rolls" (so each roll has a 30% chance of success). Whoever ends up with the highest number of successes wins. Both sides will incur losses equal to the amount of successes the opposing side scored (losses are divided by your Army Tech). Naval battles are done the same, only with Navies and Naval Tech instead. If the attacker wins, they gain the province they chose to attack.

Example: England sends 20 armies to fight France's 120 armies. England has Army Tech 4 (which gives a 5x multiplier), France has Army Tech 0. So, when battle begins, England's army is multiplied by 5, so their effective strength is 100. I roll for them 100 dice, and for France 120. England scores 30 successes, so France loses 30 Armies. France scores 40 successes and wins the battle, but the losses for England are then divided by 5, so they lose 8 Armies (simple enough, they can't lose 40 armies if they only actually have 20). In this example, both side has spent 120G, yet France still has the greater effective army just by spamming Armies. This is a short-term advantage, as Armies can be lost (along with the money spent to buy them), while Tech cannot be lost.

Technology

There are 4 technologies described below. Each starts at Level 0, and maxes at Level 10. Each Level costs 10 times its number in Gold to research (Level 1=10G, Level 2=20G).

Colonial: For each level, you can create 1 colony per turn.

Trade: For every 2 levels, you can have 1 active Trade Agreement. Each level increases your Trade Agreement income by 5G.

Army: For every level, a multiplier for your Armies equal to the Level number + 1 (so at Level 1, your multiplier is 2x, at Level 2, it is 3x, etc).

Naval: For each level, you can reach across 1 grid of ocean with colonies, armies, and Trade Agreements. Level 4 is required to begin colonising.

Gameplay

I will signal the beginning of each turn. A turn ends when all players have decided upon their actions. You can take as many actions as you have the Gold to afford (aside from expanding your provinces peacefully, which is limited to 5 per turn and costs nothing). Actions will be conducted in the order that they are made, and should be posted in this thread - In-Character. That is not to say you must write a standard RP post for each turn, but you should try to act as the leader (or general populace) of your nation (eg "I/The Empire shall invest money into raising another army of slaves, then have the brain-jars spend 2G to research Army"). Additionally, if you wish to conduct some diplomacy (which in this case simply means plotting with others or being like "dude don't attack me and I'll pay you 1G per turn"), I urge you to do that IC as well. You can put OOC stuff in parentheses. Every 5 turns, I will post a descriptive summary of what everyone has done the last 5 turns, weaving it together as a sort of historical recounting.

With that in mind, this needn't be super-serious nation stuff. You're free to make up whatever nation you like at all, as long as it intends to adhere to the gameplay rules (so, like, you can't have planes and stuff since they are not in rules. Well, you can actually, but you'll of course have to deal with the issues of why you're not using planes to travel large distances, IC).

In the name of balance I may have random events occur to help/hinder nations, to try to keep things fun for everyone. This game will run continually until people get bored of it or until we agree to reset it or change the game. People may still join up even after we start. I'll give some bonuses to them to give them a chance to compete still, such as setting their starting Tech one level behind the global average, something like that.

If there's a lack of players, I will throw in NPC nations to fill out the world a bit - ideally nobody should be alone on a continent because they get to expand too easily.

Signup!

To join, fill in this sheet:

Country Name: (whatever you want. It can be fictional, nonsensical, or based on some actual real nation or variation thereof)
Country Colour: (any colour aside from those chosen already. You can specify a different shade of something chosen already. You can also choose a specific hex code if you really want)

Government Type: (it can be a real government type, something non-government like a cult, or some entirely made up word or idea)
History: (keep it brief, this is basically just summarizing what your country is about)
Starting Provinces: (indicate which provinces you wish to start with: ideally, crop the map linked at the start of the post and colour in or otherwise mark the provinces you wish to start with - you get 5 at start. I will colour the full map properly with everyone's choices and colour once we're ready to begin.)

Current History

0AD-5AD

5-10AD

10AD-15AD

15AD-20AD

20AD-25AD

25AD-30AD

30AD-35AD

35AD-40AD

40AD-45AD

Haha, so we're playing board games on S*T now?

Country Name: Kayke

Country Colour: Pink

Government Type: Illiberal Democracy

History: This country is all about uniting the world through a common love for Cake! All sorts of cake! Fruit cakes, ice cream cakes, gluten-free cakes, nutty cakes, you name it! Cake is good for everyone, so everyone must have cake! We'll export cake to you, so open your doors to us!

Starting Provinces: e8rHOYU.png

Is Japan considered to be part of Asia? That is to say, can I expand to Asia if I don't have any Naval tech? There's a black line connecting it to the mainland but I don't know if that's counted.

Also here's my country info:

Country Name: SHOUNEN no Kuni
Country Colour: Blue
Government Type: Hot-Blooded
History: The Land of SHOUNEN is a bustling country filled with hot-blooded and idealistic young males (known as SHOUNEN) piloting giant mecha suits or wielding unnaturally powerful weapons and abilities, as well as cute girls who are typically shy and quiet (known as MOE) who generally fall in love with their respective SHOUNEN in order to give him emotional support to unlock his ultimate abilities. However the ultimate ability still lies with girls who are are known as TSUNDERE.
Starting Provinces: l4UAZh0.png

Haha, so we're playing board games on S*T now?

I've actually never played something like this as a board game. For me it's more inspired by Grand Strategy PC games.

Is Japan considered to be part of Asia? That is to say, can I expand to Asia if I don't have any Naval tech? There's a black line connecting it to the mainland but I don't know if that's counted.

Japan is part of Asia, yes. You would need Naval Tech 1 to reach the mainland of Asia, since you'd be traversing a single ocean tile. Basically anything across an ocean will require at LEAST Naval Tech 1.

The black lines in the sea are the bounds of specific Seas. The one you're talking about must be part of the boundary of the Sea of Japan.

If you can't make out these details well on the map as it appears in the first post, click it to open the link, then you can open the actual image and zoom in in your browser. It's a much more massive image than it seems, it's just scaled down into this post, so the smaller details are quite visible if you open the full image or save it, and zoom in.

Also yes, feel free to post your nation details unfinished, or to claim land first and decide your nation details later.

Country Name: Prosper Islands
Country Colour: Green

Government Type: Iron Fist Consumerist

History: The Prosper Islands is made up of a collection of islands, which are guarded fiercely by the strong naval corps of the government, supplied by conscription. The Islands were originally made up of separated pirate bands, always fighting over territory and their share of the treasure, when a wise and disillusioned sage realised that this infighting was only harming the potential of the islands. It was through tough struggles that he banded the countries together, getting it up into an economic powerhouse. He would not relinquish the reins to his citizens for fear of starting conflicts again.

Starting Provinces: Singapore, parts of Malaysia and Indonesia

I'd love to add my carefully cropped and coloured picture here, but there's no option for attachments, it seems.

I've actually never played something like this as a board game.

Risk, at least a little. And because of that I'm very interested but will have to check my schedule and all.

Country Name: Megane Empire
Country Colour: Indigo~ (#4B0082)
Government Type: Imperialism Ahoy!
History: All hail your glorious Megane Emperor! Everyone, even those with 20/20 vision, is forced to wear glasses! No megane, no life! We shall spread the love of megane to everyone in this world! No one will be able to oppose us!
Starting Provinces: Zealand, South-Holland, North-Holland, North-Brabant and Utrecht. (Also, for some reason Flevoland isn't on the map, the Dutch lost one of their provinces XD)

I've added a pic of my starting provinces. All heil Area 11!

Risk, at least a little. And because of that I'm very interested but will have to check my schedule and all.

Ah yes. Though for me, I first played Risk on PC. I imagine this will move at a rate similar to the Mafia games - it'll probably take 48 hours or so for all participants to send in their actions. Any longer than that would probably mean holding others up. That said, at the start of the game while everyone is still pretty far apart and has not enough Tech to have a lot of options, turns should be quite fast and simple.

I'll also add that if anyone needs to drop out, or can't take their turn for a long time, they can just give me some vague idea of what their long-term goals are, and I'll play their nation as an NPC until they return.

Country Name: Megane Empire

Country Colour: Indigo~ (#4B0082)

Government Type: Imperialism Ahoy!

History: All hail your glorious Megane Emperor! Everyone, even those with 20/20 vision, is forced to wear glasses! No megane, no life! We shall spread the love of megane to everyone in this world! No one will be able to oppose us!

Starting Provinces: Zealand, South-Holland, North-Holland, North-Brabant and Utrecht. (Also, for some reason Flevoland isn't on the map, the Dutch lost one of their provinces XD)

At first I was gonna say maybe the borders are just different, but I looked it up and yeah, there's just ocean where Flevoland should be. The map apparently comes from the game Victoria 2, so not really sure why that wouldn't be in there.

Anyway, below is the map so far with current participants' nations marked. I'm hoping for at least 4 more participants, so tell your friends!

wGFEQs9.png

Just putting it out there; is anyone interested in starting a United Nations council? Those who join the UN before the game starts will get veto rights. :D

Country Name: Haremania

Country Colour: Orange

Government Type: Mandatory Harem Policy

History: Our great nation has always maintained one strict policy. Everyone must be a part of a Harem. We are a forward thinking country built on diversity and so there are guy harem and girl harems and harems for various sexual and even non-sexual persuasions. However the rule states that all harems must have at least 8 participants including one incredibly ordinary person and at least 7 conflicting stereotypes. This is the way it has been since our incarnation and this is the way it will stay. Challenge us at your peril, for each of us has 7 people that will gladly fight you to the death to defend our honour. Never mind that this statement literally defies the laws of physics. This is what poly amorous sort-of-love-but-nobody-really-does-anything-other-than-have-awkward-moments-and-blush relationships can do for the world! Our main trade export is panties of all varieties.

Starting Provinces: on my ipad so can't map highlight but can you just give me the top 5 sections of Scotland?

I'll probably join

Need some ( a lot of ) time to look at the map and figure out where's where though....uggggh geography.

fa5.jpg

Country Name: Haremania

Country Colour: Orange

Government Type: Mandatory Harem Policy

History: Our great nation has always maintained one strict policy. Everyone must be a part of a Harem. We are a forward thinking country built on diversity and so there are guy harem and girl harems and harems for various sexual and even non-sexual persuasions. However the rule states that all harems must have at least 8 participants including one incredibly ordinary person and at least 7 conflicting stereotypes. This is the way it has been since our incarnation and this is the way it will stay. Challenge us at your peril, for each of us has 7 people that will gladly fight you to the death to defend our honour. Never mind that this statement literally defies the laws of physics. This is what poly amorous sort-of-love-but-nobody-really-does-anything-other-than-have-awkward-moments-and-blush relationships can do for the world! Our main trade export is panties of all varieties.

Starting Provinces: on my ipad so can't map highlight but can you just give me the top 5 sections of Scotland?

Welcome aboard, and that's okay, top 5 sections of Scotland it is.

I'll probably join

Need some ( a lot of ) time to look at the map and figure out where's where though....uggggh geography.

fa5.jpg

You don't really need to know where anywhere is at this point, unless there's a specific real-world location you want to take up. The locations have no relevance other than what position they put you in compared to other players. They shouldn't even be referred to by their actual names, IC, since this is a fictional setting.

Yea, just felt pretty inferior when every one else is rattling off province names like no one's business. I did my sheet though! 

Country Name: Booby Paradise

Country Colour: Light Blue

Government Type: Justwingitcracy
History: Home to thousands and thousands of Blue footed Boobies. Their objective is to breed and eventually fill the world with nothing but glorious boobies. Evolution has caused a certain bunch of boobies to gain sapience, and they have since been contributing to world politics as much as their bird brains can allow them to.
Starting Provinces:

L5eph9C.jpg

Well, Sean of course lives where he's put his nation. Although, if it's any consolation, I don't know any of the "province" names of Australia in this map myself either :U

For the sake of everyone here, these are some of the clarifications I made with DD about the game mechanics (paraphrased because I closed the chat already):

Q) Assume Nation A has 5 Trade Tech while Nation B has 0. If Nation A makes a Trade Agreement with Nation B, do both nations get 25G for the Trade Agreement?

A) No, only Nation A will get 25G. Nation B will not get anything. However usually Nation A is expected to give Nation B a portion of the money every turn as part of the deal. Thus, Nation A could go around asking Nations C, D and E as well to see which player is willing to make the Trade Agreement for the lowest price, or possibly to negotiate for other benefits (such as protection, passageway through borders, etc).

Q) Are large oceans such as the Northwest Pacific and the Indian Ocean considered 1 square?

A) Yes. You will only need 1 Naval Tech to travel across them until you reach another ocean designated by the thick black bar.

Q) Are there any benefits to not using your full Army strength when attacking somebody?

A) You may suffer lesser losses if you do not use your full strength, depending on the RNG. Also, if you send your armies across uncharted territory to attack a distant kingdom, they will be stranded there until you send more troops to bring them back.

Really, harems, moe, boobies and megane. I shudder when I think about the kind of international order that will be built if Kayke fails in its mission. =.=

All we need now is for someone to create a pantsu empire, and we're pretty much complete.

I'm afraid I must amend one of those clarifications, as I've looked through the entire original thread this game was found in.

Q) Assume Nation A has 5 Trade Tech while Nation B has 0. If Nation A makes a Trade Agreement with Nation B, do both nations get 25G for the Trade Agreement?

A) Trade Agreements go both ways. You have to ask someone if you want to make a trade agreement with them. If they accept, you get a Trade Agreement with them, and they get one with you. Thus, both players must have Trade Tech 2 in order to have a trade agreement together. So, if you've already spent your single Trade Agreement on someone else, nobody else can make a Trade Agreement with you unless you cancel your first one, or raise your Trade Tech another two levels to gain a second.

um

This just occurred to me: how do we level up our techs in the first place?

Spend money. So you'd say "I'll spend 5G on Trade Tech this turn". Each level costs 10x the level number. So Level 1 is 10, Level 2 is 20, etc. You don't have to buy it all at once. If you spend 5G on Level1, I'll record that, and once you put another 5G into it, you'll thus have the 10G total in it, which makes it Level 1.

Also, update on the combat mechanics. It's not a huge change, it's really just the technical aspect of how I'll work out battle results. I've updated the first post already, but here is the changed info:

Combat

When a battle occurs, one 10-sided die will be rolled by me for each Army you have in the battle (your number of Armies will be multiplied by your Army Tech level multiplier). 8s, 9s, and 10s are considered "success rolls" (so each roll has a 30% chance of success). Whoever ends up with the highest number of successes wins. Both sides will incur losses equal to the amount of successes the opposing side scored (losses are divided by your Army Tech). Naval battles are done the same, only with Navies and Naval Tech instead. The winning player gains the province they chose to attack.

Example: England sends 20 armies to fight France's 120 armies. England has Army Tech 4 (which gives a 5x multiplier), France has Army Tech 0. So, when battle begins, England's army is multiplied by 5, so their effective strength is 100. I roll for them 100 dice, and for France 120. England scores 30 successes, so France loses 30 Armies. France scores 40 successes and wins the battle, but the losses for England are then divided by 5, so they lose 8 Armies (simple enough, they can't lose 40 armies if they only actually have 20). In this example, both side has spent 120G, yet France still has the greater effective army just by spamming Armies. This is a short-term advantage, as Armies can be lost (along with the money spent to buy them), while Tech cannot be lost.

Feels strange seeing the leader of a PG cake nation issue such a challenge.

:lol:

I'll give sign ups for this one more day. If nobody else signs up, I'll ask Eth whether he would kindly move his nation out of the Americas, then add 2 NPCs, and we could begin.

The main gist is since only land in your home continent counts as provinces, and stuff outside that continent can only be colonies, there should be ideally equal players in each continent, otherwise some get more free provincial expansion than others.