Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DayDreamer

Nations Game

437 posts in this topic

END OF CALENDAR

The flood consumes the remaining lands, leaving only Megaboobmania's two key provinces surviving. The remaining other nations board their ships, packed with as many rations as possible, and set sail in hopes of there being other lands that have survived. The situation becomes bleak as the rations run out, with still naught but sea in all directions.

But as the people of USSR and Kayke begin to starve, they finally sight something on the horizon. At first it appears a famine-induced hallucination. But eventually they see it to be a great barge. More than a barge, an artifical island-ship. It turns out the Prosper Island pirates who long ago left the world had stumbled upon ancient shipbuilding technology, and constructed a great floating city. When the world began to flood, they gathered soil and animals, and have managed to sustain themselves with agriculture after the flood. Prosperous as they were, they mercifully provided USSR and Kayke with what supplies they could spare, as well as good news: the water level had begun receding.

Within 5 years, lands were emerging once again. By the time USSR and Kayke ran out of supplies again, they were able to feed themselves with confused aquatic life that was washing up on the slowly emerging land masses. The flood was over, and there was hope for USSR and Kayke to build new futures.

Meanwhile, Megaboobmania found themselves with the problems of overpopulation and lack of farm-able land. The high point provinces were mostly mountainous, and they too found themselves relying only on the food reserves they had managed to transfer before the flood. However, their combined wealth of supplies managed to sustain them until the waters receded.

As for the Automatons, those looking at the night sky would soon notice a familiar face forming on the moon, looking down at the world left behind.

Who knows what the future now holds?

END

So, officially, Megaboobmania is the winner, but it seems everyone has survived in some way (except the Xynt; they never had a chance in this world). That's it for the nation game. Now is the time for any comments on how the game was or thoughts for the future. I don't think it'll be any time soon that I run another such game, since it was pretty time consuming, but some day I might.

It was fun. It'd be good to do again but maybe with a slight tweak of the mechanics.

And everyone lived happily ever after, except Onii-chan.

He died of clone degeneration during the years that the USSR was at sea, because it turns out even he, too, was a clone.

Someday, we should do this again with a bit more refinement of the mechanics. I suggest having valuable resources to fight over so we don't just metastasize across all the empty wastes of Siberia like the last time.

Perhaps there could be more alternate win conditions, instead of simply having the most money or the most troops. For example, a Scientific or Diplomatic victory would be cool.

I think DayDay never meant from the start that there'd be win conditions. All along, the players have been setting their own winning benchmarks. Though I guess MegaBoobMania was the winner purely cuz they survived. xD

Personally, I can't bear the numbers and the maps. Calculations and map reading are my least favourite activities.

I'm not sure if you could play this kind of game without a map...

Okay, perhaps you could, but then the entire game would be based on numerical abstractions. Which you'd probably hate even more. XD

Someday, we should do this again with a bit more refinement of the mechanics. I suggest having valuable resources to fight over so we don't just metastasize across all the empty wastes of Siberia like the last time.

Yes, in future there would be reasons to target people and specific provinces. There would also be more varied resources, so specializing would require specific development, such that you can't just focus on gold income and then be good at everything.

Perhaps there could be more alternate win conditions, instead of simply having the most money or the most troops. For example, a Scientific or Diplomatic victory would be cool.

That is also something that would be included.

Personally, I can't bear the numbers and the maps. Calculations and map reading are my least favourite activities.

The only way I can think to avoid those is to have it basically freeform - like, the equivalent of Battle RPs where there's no point or ranking structure. So you could do all sorts of things then as long as it's reasonable. However, I'd be concerned it'll just become absurd because it's a lot harder to pin down what is reasonable for a fictional nation than what is reasonable for a humanoid character.

I'm not sure if you could play this kind of game without a map...

Okay, perhaps you could, but then the entire game would be based on numerical abstractions. Which you'd probably hate even more. XD

In future the map would be far smaller. There would not really be any expansion except perhaps some version of colonization. As such, the far smaller number of provinces would facilitate being able to name each of them, which would solve the confusion of a huge map with unmarked provinces, which I believe was the daunting part.

The main problem is how to run a future game, really. This one as it was would take around an hour to do turn updates. I'd have to sift through the few pages of interaction to find people's spendings and actions, particularly to find their latest decision because often minds changed. Then go input the data into the spreadsheet, and work out the NPC actions. Then go fill in the map, referring back and forth to the thread to get the right provinces coloured in. And battles were completely dumb, I'd have to entirely reinvent that. They took quite a while to roll each nation's turn, and it was rather pointless because whoever won the first battle won the whole war each time.

But yeah, if I add various victories and resources and other ideas I have, I'd be looking at even MORE work to update each turn. So what I'm really waiting for before I run another one, is either some way to make things easier to run, or for the next time I have so much free time I can commit to it.

Would it be possible to share the load perhaps? If there were 2 people GMing then it might not be so bad.

To prevent players changing their moves constantly, you can have the players role-play all they want in the thread but send their actual moves to you via PM. That way, no one will change their strategy in response to a later post, and it also adds an element of bluff. Which is pretty much the real-world case anyway; people advocate peace while building up their forces on the sly, nations call each other allies but spy on them.

Tell them they can't. It takes ages to get policies passed, you know. And if you've already put in money in investments, you can't cancel and call for a refund.