Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sarabee

The After

10 posts in this topic

It's sort of funny, when you think about it. We all thought it would be something other than what it turned out to be. The popular ones were economic collapse and shifting of the Earth's magnetic poles. How those two gained such a following, I have no idea. As far as I was concerned, zombies seemed just as likely as anything else. I guess, if you really think about it, they were all perfectly plausible theories. The only problem was that they were perfectly plausible theories that no one paid any attention to.

In the end, it was climate change that got us. Climate change. You're thinking, 'Climate change? Seriously? Come on Karma, you can do better than that.' Honestly, I wish I could say that it was zombies. But the truth is that scarier than hordes of the undead is the kind of chaos that follows after someone sees ice on an orange in Florida. One minute you're just walking to your job, the next minute there's the National Guard rolling up on Main Street telling you that water and gasoline are being rationed and that in order to maintain peace martial law has been declared. Ho baby, I wish you could've seen it. Peace my ass. The second someone decided to use the words 'martial' and 'law' in the same sentence, I should've known we were fucked. But it took me until the water shortages to really believe that something bad was happening.

After we sucked the Great Lakes dry and science still hadn't figured out a way to distill sea water fast enough to distribute it to the population, people started to act a little crazy. No one trusted anyone else. It was every man for himself, steal or be stolen from, kill or be killed. Pretty brutal stuff, if I do say so myself. The kind of stuff that you usually only saw in movies. And the government? God, what a joke. Some people remained who believed that the government would come to our rescue, but those people were few and far between. For the most part, everyone understood that once the grocery stores stopped getting restocked and once the paychecks stopped coming, we wouldn't be able to count on anyone other than ourselves. Fortunately, the news programs remained running just long enough for us to get a picture of what was going on in the rest of the world. One word resonated throughout every report, and its three letters were deceptively unassuming: b-a-d. Bad in Russia. Awful in China. Even worse in the Middle East. With violence and destruction everywhere and not even a whisper of a safe place, we had no choice but to turn our TVs off and focus on what was happening at home. Not that it mattered. The news stations went down soon after.

I'd like to say that there was a defining moment in which the world went from being "normal" to being the Hell-hole that it is now. But it was more like the rapid decline from sanity to madness. In less than a month, all of society's schizophrenic tendancies and hysteria surfaced and took control. Its rational mind was supressed to the point of extinction, leaving unforgiving nothingness in its wake. Now, all that remains of what the world used to be are skeletons of cities; a flawless infrastructure whose sole purpose is to facilitate the travel of maurauders. These people -- among whose ranks I can be counted, much to my chagrin -- are the few survivors of this world who are able to live only by taking from others. We can scavange most of what we need, but sometimes that isn't quite enough. And when that happens, we'll do whatever we have to. We'll hurt. We'll mame. We'll even kill. But above all of that, we survive. And I think, if you could see the way I'm trying to live, I think you would be able to understand. I need to survive, because if I don't...well, I just need to.

The year is 2157*. My name is not Karma, but that's what I'll be called because that is the name that defines who I am now. I'm writing all of this down with the hopes that when you read it, whoever you are, everything that I experience will bring you one step closer to surviving The After.

*see below reply for date clarification

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone!

So, obviously this (what I have above) is your standard, post-apocalyptic wasteland. Beyond that, though, I haven't really developed it much. Don't take that to mean that I don't have any idea about where I'd like the plot to go, because I do, but it also means that I'm open to whatever ideas you're willing to bring to the table. Thus far I've kept my ideas restricted primarily to humans and human-like activity, but if you want to introduce any sort of humanoid or cyborg or anything else that one would expect to see in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, I'm definitely willing to accommodate that!

What I'm looking for right now is a partner or two who are willing to bring their OCs into this universe to operate in the "present," which would be the future in relation to what I have posted above. Preferably, there would be no interaction between my character and the characters who are introduced until the very end of the roleplay at which point I had envisioned some sort of fateful, emotional meeting that ended in violence and bloodshed. But, like my openness to altering the specifics of the universe, I'm open to altering the plot too. My ideas are far from set in stone, and I'm more than willing to listen to the ideas of anyone who's interested in this.

It's been a little while since my last roleplay so I'm a bit rusty, but I promise that a post or two will see me knocking out replies like the best of them. I'll have my expectations for post length and what have you listed under the classifieds soon enough, and I'm hoping to get a profile of Karma up within the next week or two. If you're interested, feel free to message me and I'll throw you my contact information so we can discuss this in a little more detail.

Thanks for letting me talk at you guys! I hope you're interested!

Sara

I'm interested, the intro snagged me in particular. I'm curious what you have in mind, with the part about no interaction with your character until the end. After all, RPs generally are entirely interactions between characters. While I'm not hung up on that convention and think the ending you describe seems interesting, I'm just curious about that point. Whether characters will be acting entirely independently, or whether you're intending some sort of indirect interactions, such as encountering people or places impacted by the characters rather than the characters themselves.

Also, it sounds from the intro that Karma lived in the world before its collapse, and states the current year being 2157, so it seems the world was still intact as of the 2100s sometime. The 2100s are a long way away yet, so the world as it is in the 2100s after an apocalypse would be very different to the present world after an apocalypse. So I also wanna confirm that that is the case and I didn't misunderstand.

I'm interested, the intro snagged me in particular. I'm curious what you have in mind, with the part about no interaction with your character until the end. After all, RPs generally are entirely interactions between characters. While I'm not hung up on that convention and think the ending you describe seems interesting, I'm just curious about that point. Whether characters will be acting entirely independently, or whether you're intending some sort of indirect interactions, such as encountering people or places impacted by the characters rather than the characters themselves.

Also, it sounds from the intro that Karma lived in the world before its collapse, and states the current year being 2157, so it seems the world was still intact as of the 2100s sometime. The 2100s are a long way away yet, so the world as it is in the 2100s after an apocalypse would be very different to the present world after an apocalypse. So I also wanna confirm that that is the case and I didn't misunderstand.

Yes, okay! I suppose I should have specified a little more. What I was thinking as far as limited interaction was something along the lines of having a "Future Character" read an entry in Karma's journal (written by me) about, say, finding a wealth of batteries in the back room of an abandoned WalMart. Said Future Character decides to venture into the WalMart (written by you) and, while there, happens to notice an object/a message with information as to Karma's current whereabouts. This pattern continues (with several miniconflicts along the way, such as harrowing encounters with other maurauders or discovery of some sort of unpleasant, post-apocalyptic creature) until Future Character and Karma ultimately meet one another at the climactic conclusion. I guess I envisioned it sort of like a first person point-of-view videogame in which the Future Character is the main character, and Karma is the ambiguous "Other Character" whose true identity isn't revealed until the very end. I haven't really worked out the logistics of this yet, but I'm sort of attracted to the idea of Future Character reading a few entries a day, and reflecting on them throughout his/her adventures.

As far as the whole 2157 bit is concerned, I'm more than willing to drop it back to 2057. What I was looking for when I selected that year was a time that would be far enough in the future to make the idea of a finished apocalypse and the establishment of a post-apocalyptic pseudo-society plausible, yet not so far in the future that it was wholly unimaginable. I guess I might have overshot a little. ^^; I agree that we really have no idea what the 2100s are going to be like, so in the interest of maintaining a sense of reality I would actually prefer that the time setting be a little closer to where we are now. Thanks for pointing that out!

I hope this answered all of your questions! If you're still interested, feel free to message me.

Sara

This looks interesting. I'll consider joining, maybe. But I have one question: In the intro you have you seem to be switching from past to present tense, so I'm not sure as to what is going on, but it's interesting nonetheless.

This looks interesting. I'll consider joining, maybe. But I have one question: In the intro you have you seem to be switching from past to present tense, so I'm not sure as to what is going on, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Yes! The shifts between present and past tenses occur when Karma switches between narrating the events of the past and reflecting on the situation in the present.

1 person likes this

Yes! The shifts between present and past tenses occur when Karma switches between narrating the events of the past and reflecting on the situation in the present.

Okay, that makes sense. So, when can we submit our characters and whatnot?

Okay, that makes sense. So, when can we submit our characters and whatnot?

Whenever you like! I could create a threat on the discussion board if you like or, if you prefer, I can message you my email/Skype so that we can discuss it privately. I have no preference. ^-^

I better let you guys know, I won't be participating after all. I'm not put off the idea, it's still quite interesting, I just lack the time presently. Have fun though.

I better let you guys know, I won't be participating after all. I'm not put off the idea, it's still quite interesting, I just lack the time presently. Have fun though.

Thanks for letting us know!

Whenever you like! I could create a threat on the discussion board if you like or, if you prefer, I can message you my email/Skype so that we can discuss it privately. I have no preference. ^-^

E-mailing would be alright, it would give you the chance to correctly organize the flow of characters. My email is getready2win@yahoo.com.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0