Pain

Hero/X-Men-ish Role Play {Closed}

52 posts in this topic

Sooo, we're set on something along the lines of X-Men, yes?

I've set the rating to NC-17, so we're pretty much covered for everything, especially language. We don't want any pesky restrictions, do we?

;)

Do you want the setting to be similar to X-Men, in that they're 'mutant's in a human world? Or a more magical sort of world, in which everyone has some power, and a select few, such as the chosen students at the school, are more potent?

Also, we'll need to think about what sort of conflict we want. Whether it be a single enemy with pawns, like Magneto, or a mass army, or human oppression. 

And, of course, our characters. I'm not a fan of doubling, as everyone one HEX seems to be. I favour one character, and then use NPCs as and when they're needed. Also, I'm not too keen on character sheets, but some basics are useful {name, age, powers, etc}. Of course, if you wish to write more, feel free. 

What are your thoughts so far?

Yes, to hell with those pesky restrictions!

Now, my mind is a blank canvas on this one. I have not developed any sort of ideas yet, so by all means, let's go nuts!

*pops knuckles*

I think I'm leaning more towards a human world where there are a select few who are gifted with abilities. also, i think we should restrict ourselves to one or perhaps two powers (though I'm pretty sure thats a given)

as for conflict, there is always the obvious one of "people fear what they don't understand" that would play into human oppression. perhaps we have a world where the human population is unaware of the existence of these gifted people? OR a world where the human population has recently become aware?

in either case, I think it might be interesting to have an antagonist with the ultimate motive of "curing" those who are gifted? i like the idea because these "gifts" are a source of hardship as well as power, and as such someone with one could both love and hate it. our antagonist could even be a character who's own ability makes them a monster, hence the drive to cure it.

OR

perhaps our antagonist is trying to duplicate it? to bring these abilities to the whole human population? he/she might be kidnapping people with these gifted talents and experimenting on them, and the school could be ground zero? (this one might be my favorite)

speaking of characters...

I don't double in the sense that everyone gets a happy ending - i typically play two characters simply because I've got one primary and one secondary to fill in wherever needs filling... unless... I usually end up playing the antagonist too... which I'm totally okay with!

I usually mock up very basic character sheets just for reference. that way if I am forced to take a hiatus, when i return i can quickly get back into my character without losing some of their personality.

Also, if you prefer female roles - i do not mind playing a guy :)

anyway - thoughts? Comments? Concerns? Suggestions?

The idea of duplicating it is similar to the very first X-Men film, in which Magneto uses Rogue to try and 'infect' all of the leaders, so they become mutants. In that film, the downfall was the body's rejection of mutant cells. You'd also get the uproar of those saying it's immoral, and against the human right of free will, as well as those who oppose it simply because it's different. 

I'm not too sure how that would work into a school theme though? Unless we make both of our main character adults/teachers, who complete 'missions' as well as teach.

We could also perhaps have a super mutant, but the surge of power comes from a child, who doesn't understand how to control it. Very Jean Grey-ish, I know, but it doesn't have to be the same. The X-Men world provides a vast store of ideas to work with, so we can take what we want, and make it our own. 

Oh, and yes, I play females, as I fail at playing males. I can play male NPCs, but not as a main character.

hmmm...perhaps if we set the antagonist in the very beginning stages of such an endeavor it might fit in better with the idea of a school - even make him/her a student there (you know how those troubled kids are) and that gives the plot more room to grow beyond this if we wish as well :)

we could continue exploring other ideas as well, unless you'd like to set the "infect all humans" as our point of focus?

another idea i had was that the birth of a mutant was so rare that perhaps this school isnt even a school designed for that, but just an ordinary boarding school? in this instance the existence of gifted individuals would be hidden, but very VERY few folks manifest them - and likely live their lives trying to hide and control it alone. there would be no organization in existence. in our story, this would just be a massive coincidence that two (or three, depending on the situation) managed to attend the same school. unless of course there was something about the area that either drew the gifted in, or caused abilities to manifest in select individuals.

just spitballing here - lol

It's very Voldemort-ish, but I like it. It gives the 'good' guys a better connection to the antagonist. 

I'm open to exploring other ideas, we don't want to narrow our options too soon. Whilst I enjoy the planning stages of a role play, I don't want to mirco manage it so much that it can't be altered/edited further down the line to suit our desires. Obviously, we'd only do that if it were actually plausible. I'm not suggesting we make major plot changes half way through.

I read a series of books by an Australian author called Trudi Canavan, in which select children awakened magical abilities. It only manifested in those of a higher standing, but the main plot was the manifestation of these 'powers' in a slum dweller. The task was then for the magicians of the guild to track her down, and teach her to control her power, before it grew out of control and killed her. 

An idea we could use, if you'd like?

I think an 'ordinary' boarding school would give it more spice, as teenage years are hard enough, without having to hide a power which makes you feel like even more of a reject. Therefore, more drama!

We could combine a lot of these ideas, we'd just have to decide which ones we like best, and making them work together.

Agreed.

So far, I like the sound of the following aspects:

- boarding school involved (obviously... That's what started this whole thing, no?)

- normal human population with select few *hidden* mutants

- I like the idea of abilities manifesting in the youth of the upper class. Perhaps we can expand on this idea? Perhaps these abilities manifest because of something the parents are purposefully doing? (This would trump the 'angsty teen facing the whole mutation thing on their own', though... Which is another aspect I am fond of... You decide?) we could throw a wrench in if an non-privileged kid turns up with abilities that manifested on their own. After all, you can't play god ;)

- our antagonist's ultimate goal is to 'infect' all humans (hehehe, the scene from the Incredibles comes to mind, when Syndrome says, "because when *everyone* is special... no one will be.")

What about yours?

I like:

- the antagonist being a former member of the school

- the mutants hiding in a 'normal' human world

- the school being your average boarding school, with only a handful of mutants

- the parents being responsible for the manifestation. Wouldn't this mean that quite a few people would know about mutants though? Maybe one of the parents is required to be a mutant? If two mutants breed, the child's powers will be much stronger, than if only one parent carries the gene?

Ooh! I like that!

Okay so we definitely are down for the handful of mutants hidden from the average world population, and the school is just a typical school. Done.

Also, I agree about the terms of the offspring; one parent must be a mutant in order for their child to have *a chance* of manifesting a power- however, if both parents are mutants, the child will undoubtedly have a power – and a strong one at that. Yes?

That being said, if we play the whole mutant thing towards parents knowing (which, honestly, if the parent has an ability, it's not really a shocker that their offspring does too- of course they would know!) wouldn't it then stand to reason that there was a good chance students might purposefully be sent to this particular school?

About the antagonist and his/her motives. Were you more interested in them being a student? Or alumni? Or perhaps a member of staff? And did you have any additional thoughts or suggestions as to motive? Should the antagonist be trying to cure mutantcy, or infect the 'normal' population, in your opinion?

Hmm, it might increase the mutant percentage at the school, but I don't think a HUGE amount of people would know that other mutants go there. With this theory, mutant children will no doubt be attending other schools too. It just so happens that we're role playing a specific one. Does that make sense?

I think it would be better if they were slightly older, so any resentment has been given time to grow. Also, if they were trying to rid the world of mutants, they could be 'lower class', with weak powers, and their hatred could stem from a bad experience at school, from another mutant. Perhaps they used their powers to bully him/her? Or, they could be powerful, and want to turn 'normal' people, and effectively become a leader.

What about the 'Syndrome' angle? What if a typical human had a run-in with a mutant during his/her time in school? What if this normal human had spent their life wanting to be something extraordinary, and because of said childhood antics, knew about mutants? And what if, this normal person would do anything to be like them? Hence the hunt to (for lack of a better word) 'infect' themselves?

Oooo, that could give way to a black market, of sorts. 'Mutant' could become an illegal drug, and could result in death, or dire side effects, when a false drug is given instead of the real thing. Kinda like buying bad cocaine, or something like that. 

The real thing, will infect your body with the mutant gene.

The death toll could result in more backlash. Or am I going too far with this?

So this is getting pretty epic, eh?

And I think its safe to assume we'll take the 'Syndrome' angle, then?

Sorry, could you clarify the Syndrome angle? I haven't seen all of The Incredibles - I think that's the reference you were referring to?

lol- yes that is the reference; but you were literally just elaborating on it.

It would be the antagonist being a 'normal' individual with the desire to force abilities to manifest. They create something to infect a normal person with the ultimate goal of making themselves a mutant. Hence the line: "once everyone is special... no one will be."(It's also very similar to a plot element from the Heroes TV show, when Dr. Suresh tried to duplicate the gene to give himself abilities- but that's all water under the bridge)

I like it though- it gives sinister schemes opportunity to hatch down the road, and takes what can start small and gives it the power to explode!

I think we should outline what we've got so far :)

So they wish to be a mutant themselves and create a 'virus' which can create the gene? They spent their years at school which to be extraordinary, and it bubbled into a need so great that they created a drug which would force it to happen? 

Then, being human and inheriting that great thing called greed, they decided to make money from it?

We have:

- Ordinary boarding school, with a handful of mutants

- Antagonist went to said school

- Mutant ability naturally occurs in children born from either one, or two, mutant parents. 

- Illegal and often unstable version of the mutant drug is sold on the black market. 

I imagine buying the legit drug would cost a vast amount of money, so it would only be available to the higher class. Buying the illegal version is a risk a lot of people are willing to take. Sometimes it works, but more often than not, it fails. This could cause some to rise up and demand the drug to be banned, which could further spur our antagonist's determination. 

Excellent on all accounts, except that if the drug is already on the black market, wouldn't it mean that it is already banned? We can't get much more banned than that. Unless we are implying that when our antagonist first created the drug, it was available for legal purchase?

In which case, people are either being lied to as far as what the drug actually does (it can "enhance your natural performance" maybe it's marketed as a steroid?)

OR

The normal population will be made aware of mutants existence

Also, are these elements that we will work towards as the story progresses? Or is all this in effect at the start?

I was thinking we could begin with the antagonist having not quite perfected the drug as of yet. Maybe a similar kind of situation as Spiderman as far as character relations go- ie we've got our students who are central to the plot attending the school; they are mutants, but the normal population isn't aware of their "condition". Then we have our antagonist, a scientist (who is alumni, and aware of their extraordinary abilities) with connections to the school who is developing this drug in secret. Perhaps even the research center the antagonist works with is part of the scientific school attached to the academy? Hands-on student lab for real-world training and such? Or is that getting too complex, you think?

You can buy prescription drugs on the black market, which makes it illegal. From your pharmacy, when prescribed by a doctor, it's perfectly legal.

The legit drug is legal, and costs lots of money. You can't get it for free on any kind of healthcare plan, and so it is only really available to the upper class. Therefore, drug dealers took matters into their own hands, and starting selling it illegally. The price is considerably lower, but the chance of the drug being the real thing, is extremely low {maybe something like 5 or 10%}. This cheaper version could be anything from something non effective, like cough syrup, to something harmful, like a concoction of whatever drugs took the dealer's fancy at the time. Or, if you're very lucky, it could be the real thing. 

Most of it will be in effect, but perhaps the drug is only just starting to come about, like you said. I think the scientific school attached to the academy part could be making it a little too complex lol

i am soooooo sorry for the delay! crazy holiday madness in the real world :/

i should be able to devote some time in a day or two, possibly as early as tomorrow? i promise i have not abandoned this idea, nor this site! i have high expecttions, and am very excited about it!!!

No apologies needed, I assure you.

I don't expect daily activity, as we all have lives outside of our computer. 

Ooooookay!

so, let me make sure i haven't forgotten too much of this!

so, we've got our school with a handful of mutant students attending, and our antagonist who has developed a drug that will induce supernatural effects in a normal human. This drug is available at an exorbitant price, unless purchased from a dealer on the black market.

so, how public is the existence of the drug? is this something that everyone knows about? in which case, the handful of mutants at the school don't really need to hide their abilities? or is it still pretty hush hush since it's in the beginning stages?

I kind of like the idea that all of this is pretty breaking-news. It would mean that our characters would still be a little skeptical about unveiling themselves, having developed these abilities naturally, but also introduces the fear and excitement in the mass public about the effects of such a drug. Also, this introduces a kind of "us, them, and the others" mentality. Having natural mutants, artificial mutants, and humans. we might be able to play on that a bit!

I'd say it's in the beginning stages, so only a select few would know about it. Like you said, it creates nice divides between groups, as you'll have the haters, the naturals, the unnaturals, and the wannabes. 

so, i think, then - are we ready to build a character and begin the story? or was there anything else that needs elaborating on a bit that you can think of off hand?

Will our characters both be working at the school? I know mine will be.

I've been debating that... I suppose it would make some plot twists easier to execute, but I'm not sure what sort of position my yet-to-be- imagined character would hold. If yours is going to be a staff member, though, I'd better make mine an adult as well - even the fiction side of me can't justify the whole student/teacher relationship potential/implication... too many people have told me thats not acceptable in the morality of life.

I was also weighing the options of one of our characters being new to the school? A new face makes introductions more natural; but if they've both been there a while, they have either never gone out of their way to get to know each other, or there has been an underlying reason they have avoided each other until now.

I kind of like the idea that the discovery of identifying as mutants might bring two people together - especially if they've avoided each other out of dislike or judgment until the beans were spilled. But I also like the idea of a fresh face, too.

Thoughts?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead