Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kyo

January Roleplay Month!

31 posts in this topic

Surreality Role Play Month

That's right guys and dolls! The Surreality RP Month is coming to a forum near you! As a community we offer many different outlets including art, music, debate, games, and just chatting about stuff in general. However the one thing that makes this community what it is, is our shared passion for creative writing. And so we are going to start of the New Year with a celebration of the fantastic medium that has brought us together. As your humble Events Organiser I will be overseeing the RP Month as an Announcer, among other things. However I can't do this on my own, so keep an eye out for the other staff members who will all be getting involved in some form or another. Without further ado let me tell you about the range of events and contests being held over the month of January!

Awards ceremony

Nominations: 1st January to 15th January
Voting: 16th January to 23rd January
Awards ceremony: 26th January 

Award List:

• BEST ROLEPLAYER (can be in terms of quality, niceness, willingness to take on any genre, posts punctually, easy to follow)
  • MOST EPIC ROLEPLAY (not as stringent as Legendary Roleplays obviously, and values over-the-top coolness)
  • BEST ROLEPLAY POST (for an individual post that's packed with greatness)
  • BEST CHARACTER (for any reason)

The Low-down
The Role Play Awards are a large part of RP Month. Beween the 1st January and the 15th of January people will be nominated for various RP Award categories. During this period members will elect people or roleplays to be nominated for the various awards. Then on the 16th of January the polls will be opened to the public. Members can vote for whoever or whatever they think is deserving of the RP award for their category. Then on the 23rd of January the voting will be closed and the staff will tally the votes. In the event of a tie the winner will be decided by a panel of judges. 

Each award winner will receive a shiney medal of their profile to highlight their excellency. In the case of the Most Epic Roleplay award, all members of the winning roleplay will receive the winners medal on their profiles! Not to mention you extraordinary people will be able to strut about the forum with your brand new and shiny bragging rights!

PLEASE PM ANY AND ALL RP NOMINATIONS TO KYO BY MIDNIGHT JANUARY 15TH

Character interviews

Character interviews will be happening over the space of the entire month. During this time a special sub-forum will be opened in which members can have interviews conducted as their favourite roleplay characters. Anyone can drop in and ask your character a question, however, there is a rule. Member have to roleplay their actions and questions. This makes it a different scenario than an AMA thread. While audience participation is fine, there were also be fantastic interviewers on hand to ask you interesting questions. This event allows you to explore one of your favorite characters in an entirely unique way. It's also tons of fun!

Roleplayer rewards

Roleplayers are rewarded for starting and taking on new roleplays in January.For each roleplay you join you will receive 1 point. For each roleplay you create you will receive 2 points. The roleplayer who obtains the most points will receive a special emblem in their profile to commemorate their efforts! There will also be emblems for second and third runner up!

Point Tally: 31st January

Writing prompts/workshops

Over the course of the month there will be a number of writing prompts and workshops for members to participate in. These will be a mixture of helpful advice and tips along with exercises designed to help you develop different parts of your writing such as storytelling, plot development, characterization, developing ideas into strong stories, etc. 

These writing prompts will be organised and run by our helpful Scholars!

Team Roleplay

Team Roleplays will be similar to an ordinary roleplay. Roleplayers will group into teams of 3 and will begin a roleplay. However on each day of the roleplay there will be a restriction in place. For example on day 1 it might be that "The characters must have a meal, each character must provide at least one paragraph describing the flavours they are experiencing while eating". Obviously people may get busy and it might not be possible to post every day. However if roleplayers miss a certain amount of days there may be penalties in place. This exercise is a great way to exercise your creative writing muscles by working within certain parameters that may or may not be outside of your comfort zone. On top of the daily restrictions, there will be an ultimate goal set for the roleplay, such as "1 character must experience self-actualization". These restrictions will be made by the helpful staff listed below. 

1st January to 9th January: Event begins. People form teams and make preparations for their roleplay. 
10th January to 25th January: 1 restriction per day; players have to finish by the last day of prompts. Finish is achieved by completing the restrictions as well as completing the overall RP goal. 

RP Weekend

18th to 19th January

During the 18th and 19th of January we will be hosting an RP Weekend. During this time our Mascot, Freya Thunderfist, will use the magical powers of her amulet to open the portal into other worlds. During this time you can roleplay as your favourite character in the OOC section of the forum. This will not reach out to the roleplay sections for obvious reasons. We've had RP weekends in the past and they are always a massive hit and tons of fun! For extra fun why not change your avatar and signature to match your rp character?

Synopsis Contest

On the 27th January the Synopsis Contest will be held. On this day members should submit a synopsis for a roleplay they are involved in. The best synopsis will then be decided by a panel of judges! The winner will receive a medal/emblem in their profile to commemorate their brilliance!

This contest will be organized and run by Seanzilla!

A Day In Your Character's Life

Throughout the month

What does your character do outside of his exciting life in the roleplay? One good way to develop a character is to put him in everyday scenarios and see how he stands up to them. During this time a new sub-forum will be opened. People can then create a character diary of sorts for one of their favourite characters. After this other members will come into your thread and will pitch a scenario for your character to react to. You can then make a response post to describe how your character reacts to this foreign stimuli. Some rules will be in place. For example if your character is a dwarven warrior from medieval fantasy times, then it's not fair for someone to thrust a PS4 in your hand and ask that you deal with it. This is an excellent way to think about your character in different scenarios which ultimately well help you strengthen your skill in characterization!

Characters As Seen Through Your Eyes

Once a week

Sometimes a single character concept can be interpreted in different ways by different roleplayers, who attempt to infuse their own personalities, or the personalities of those they know, into them. In this segment, we will write out a brief profile of a character, and you guys will breathe life into the character in your own ways, by posting about this character in a scene as you see fit. So a bony, small man could be an insurance agent to you, but a secret assassin at night to someone else. Who knows, this character may give you inspiration for one of your roleplays!

So that's what we've got in store. Any questions? Feel free to ask in this thread. Otherwise keep your eyes peeled for the events as they unfold!

This sounds AMAZING! I just wanna do the diary! And the interview! I could have so much fun fooling around as Seyerna in such situations! Squee!!

1 person likes this

Sounds EXCITING.

I need to get more characters ready.

I've just added 1 new idea, the Characters As Seen Through Your Eyes.

Also, Rubberrazors has the valid point that there really is a lot of stuff, and who knows, we may find that there's too much stuff going on in the month. XD If that's the case, I'm sure Kyo will scale back accordingly, or do whatever as he sees fit. But we're hoping there's a large repertoire of activities so that everything gets a chance, and we'll find out which of these activities are the most fun for you guys.

edited to let people know to PM me the nominations they have for RP Awards. Although it doesn't officially start until tomorrow, it's fine to PM nominations today if you have something in mind. Just let me know before 15th January!

I suggest a calendar for this, all the varying dates and frequencies are a little hard to keep in mind. Perhaps you guys can chart this month out on the S*T calendar?

That has already been my suggestion, but we'll have to wait for the proper authorities to come online. o3o

We could do a people of S*T calender with us in skimpy outfits mainly me​ and provocative poses.

1 person likes this

In any case I'm also asking Ack for a sub-forum for RP Month so we can dump all the threads in there.

In the meantime, you guys can start forming groups of 3 for the team roleplay, if you'd like to participate!

I am totes down as well. It'd be a good idea to set up a recruitment thread for teams.

I'd certainly do that, together with all the other threads, if Ack makes the sub-forum. However, if she still doesn't after a while, Kyo will be online by then and can do it in the Noticeboard or something. ;D

Also, Nikkia has kindly made the sub-forum for us! It's in the Roleplaying section, right at the bottom of RPGs. Seanzilla has already pioneered some of them, so do join him!

Well both teams finished. So they were both successful. It wasn't a competition, it was more of an exercise to test your adaptability. 

If you're referring to the RP threads themselves, I think they were moved to the Trash Can. If you want, we could move them into the Completed Roleplays section instead. In fact, why didn't we move it there in the first place?

I would appreciate them moved to completed roleplays as I truly enjoyed them and hate to hear they just went 'poof.' Q.Q

1 person likes this

We don't delete stuff, so worry not, we shall have them pulled out of whatever storage unit we put them in and out in the trophy case area that is completed role plays.

They actually were not moved to the trash, I don't think. I just hid the sub-forum, so they're exactly where they were just hidden. I can move that whole subforum (Team Roleplays) to the completed RP forum and lock it.

Edit:

I've moved the roleplays to the Completed Roleplays forum.