Seanzilla

[Discussion] Sorcerers

110 posts in this topic

Background Story

Sometimes I wish I was born a Normal.

Ignorance truly is bliss. They live their lives without a care in the world, subconsciously aware that whatever problem they may have is insignificant in the grand scheme of things. They are not privy to the secrets of life, death and everything in between. They do not know what it is like pursue the mysteries of the Cosmos and revel in its power. They do not know what it is like to have our knowledge. Our power. Our curse.

My name is Theodore Grant III, Lord of Sorcerers, Master of Magic and Voice of the Cosmos. As I have known for the past sixty years as the Lord, my reign shall end this year, 2014 AD. My final act as the Lord is to commence the 50th War of Magic in order to decide who is worthy of serving the Cosmos as its voice.

I have selected the thirteen most accomplished, intelligent, powerful or promising Sorcerers from all over the world to compete in this war and the last one standing shall be the one who receives the limitless wisdom and power granted to me as the Master of Magic.

This war shall test you like nothing else ever has before. You may strategize, scheme, plot, threaten, deceive, negotiate or violate however you wish. Nothing is off limits, for it is impossible for you to draw out your true potential while shackled to petty rules.

Prove your worth, shatter your opponents and the limitless knowledge that I possess shall one day be yours.

Setting

Hello buddies.

This RP is a contemporary fantasy set in our world, with the existence of Sorcerers, the Cosmos and Magic being the only differences. So unlike most of my RPs, there are no Demons.

The story, as explained above, will be a War between the 13 top Sorcerers of the world. The winner will receive all the titles and knowledge held by the current Lord.

In order for the Sorcerers to win this war they will forge alliances with each other or with Sorcerers not participating in the war. On top of that they are able to craft Magic Weapons, called Gifts, and grant these to Normals. Normals granted a Gift are referred to as Champions, as they have become contractually bound to serve their Sorcerer.

The Thirteen Contenders

Seanzilla
Contender
Leon Browning
Vassals and their Champions: Enfield family.

NPC
Contender: 
Lin Junwei, the Emperor

Champions: Luo Zhongxian, ???, ???
Vassals and their Champions: The Army, a group of 300 Vassals and Champions who would follow Lin to the ends of the world.

Kyo
Contenders:
 Lucia D'Rossilia
Champions: Eli
Vassals and their Champions: Justin Friesch

NPC
Contenders:
 Nathaniel Finnegan
Champions: -
Vassals and their Champions: Zuriel Finnegan

NPC Randoms
Uriah, Sasha and Natasha

Terminology

Normal â€“ Person who does not possess any magic power.

Sorcerer/Sorceress – Person capable of wielding the magic power granted by the Cosmos.

Magic – Every human is inherently powerless. All magic used in this world is essentially the power of the Cosmos channeled through a human.

Lord – The Lord is the mightiest Sorcerer on the planet. He is the only Sorcerer who is always able to directly communicate with the Cosmos and the only one with limitless access to the Cosmos’ limitless knowledge.

Cosmos – The Universe is actually an entity of limitless power and knowledge known as the Cosmos. Sorcerers are people capable of understanding and using the gifts of the Cosmos.

Champions – Normals granted a Gift from a Sorcerer. They do not possess any powers themselves other than the ability to summon their Gift, but the Gifts grant them limited forms of magic. When Normals receive a Gift from a Sorcerer they enter a contractual bond with the Sorcerer. The Gift is essentially a fragment of the Sorcerer's soul, so in order to use it it has to be used to aid the Sorcerer. In exchange for the Champion's loyalty the Sorcerer promises to fulfill one wish, regardless of what that wish is, once he becomes the Lord.

Gift – Weapons instilled with fragments of the creator’s soul, magic and will. Every gift grants their wielder the ability to use a form of magic decided by the creator. Because Gifts require a huge amount of energy to create and because it is impossible for anyone to wield more than 1 Gift simultaneously it is very rare for a Champion to possess more than three Gifts.
Gifts do not have to be carried around, they can be summoned by their Champion at will. Once a Champion is wields his Gift he is able to use the magic that has been infused in that Gift and is also able to use a power called 'Transcend.' When a Champion uses Transcend his soul fuses with the fragment within his Gift. Transcend alters the Champion's physical appearance and greatly increases his power for a short duration in order to be able to match a true Sorcerer.

Contender - Sorcerer who has been chosen to participate in the War of Magic.

Vassal - Sorcerer who has, for whatever reason, chosen to join forces with a Contender and fight for him in the war.

Player Characters

Name:
Appearance:
Abilities:
Background:

Before anyone asks, let me just confirm this is heavily inspired by Gamaran, Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night, Magi and Hoshi no Samidare.

And here I was, thinking that you didn't like Fate/Zero that much.

I am so in on this

Welcome aboard, bro!

Also, I've only seen Season One. One day I will watch Season Two and I'll probably like it a lot more.

Yay more people!

Also, expanded a bit on how Gifts work.

I mentioned some of this to Darkwater and some to Noia already, but I may as well post everything here:

The war is between 13 Sorcerers, but its fought by a lot more than those 13. All of these Sorcerers, called Contenders for the sake of ease, have several Champions, several Allied (non-Contender) Sorcerers and the Champions of these Sorcerers working for them. So some Contenders can have hundreds of allies while others have only a few.

Either way you're free to play as anyone you want. A Contender, a Champion (I'll personally play a Champion) or a regular Sorcerer. You're free to do whatever you want~

/unlurks

Hullo Mr. Flirty! xD

I'd like to get in on this as a Champion, but I'm not hugely active. I'm estimating that I'll have a rate of maybe once or twice a week; would that be a problem? If so, I'll back out so as to not hold you guys back. ^^;

I am so joining

Who wants to team up so we can inevitably backstab each other in the closing phases of the war?

I'm wondering about something...

What happens to a Gift when the Sorcerer who granted it dies? Does it vanish, since it's part of his soul?

I'm totally not trying to double-cross some unfortunate Sorcerer here. Honest.

One or twice per week isn't a problem, I think. We're a pretty large group and since we won't start together there won't be an enforced post order. You should try not to get left behind though :p

Also, you probably already guessed it, but the Gift will disappear.

EDIT: Added an Appearance line into the sheet. I needed somewhere to put my KyoAni pic.

Alright, thanks, and questions!

It says "regardless of what that wish is," but are there any restrictions on what can actually be done? Like resurrecting the dead, turning back time, granting immortality, etc?

Also, do the Gifts necessarily have to be weapons? Or can they be more equipment-ish, like an enchanted shield, while the Champion wields an ordinary weapon like a sword?

Gifts can be anything.

With regards to wishes, that's actually a tricky subject. The power of the Cosmos is essentially limitless, so granting a wish like immortality would be possible, but you have to keep in mind that the Lord is essentially the Avatar of the Cosmos and as such can't go against the laws created by it. Mortality would be one of those laws that should never be broken. Breaking one of these laws will result in the Cosmos stripping the Lord of his power and rectifying all the damage the Lord has done.

In case anyone wants to know to help their planning, I'll also be playing as a champion and I'll have my character created by today, I do believe.

Name: Noah Silverman

Personality: Noah is normally an easygoing person. If it were up to him he would spend his life on a coach watching reruns of old sitcoms, but sadly life has forced him to become serious. Which in turn lead to him developing a ruthless side.
Noah is also extremely loyal to his Sorceress, Stella. He believed it to be love at first sight when he first met her three years ago and even though this love remains forever unrequited he will go through great lengths to ensure that her every order is carried out.
Appearance: Sticking to my tradition of using KyoAni characters as my characters.

Abilities: He has received extensive anti-Sorcerer combat training and has become adept at fighting opponents with much more versatile powers through use of his Gift, his wits and ruthlessness.
His Sorceress has granted him two Gifts. The first one is the pair of twin katanas called Seraph’s Wings. The Wings grant him the ability to use Ice magic.
The second Gift he received from Stella was based on magic she copied from her father. Tranquility is a silver bracelet worn around his right arm that gives Noah the 'Silence' power. Silence can only be cast on one person simultaneously and only works while Noah remains within a 100 meter distance of that person and has his gift manifested. The epithet 'Mage Hunter' was granted through him thanks to his effective use of this ability.

Background: Noah was born as a Normal, but never had the chance to know his parents as they were killed by a terrorist attack when he was only three years old. Noah was the sole survivor of said attack and with no remaining living relatives he was about to be taken in by a foster care program when somehow a woman managed to gain custody.

The woman, Mary Silverman, was the matriarch of a family of Champions subservient to a prestigious family of Sorcerers. Despite having plenty of children, Mary could not help but be interested in the sole survivor of an attack orchestrated by a rogue Sorcerer. Noah was adopted into the Silverman family and raised as one of them. This included being educated in what Sorcerers were and what they were capable of.

As Noah grew older it slowly became apparent that he was more talented than any of Mary’s actual children. When in 2010 Theodore revealed that the 50th War of Magic would be taking place in 2014 the Lotharius family came knocking. As had been tradition they asked the Silverman family for their best warrior to serve as their daughter’s Champion. They chose Noah for the job.

Thanks for the clarifications, Sean!

Sorry, I don't typically do character sheets, so keeping this short and simple.

Name: Mei
Personality: Reserved, polite, unassuming, and obedient. In all honesty, she's really rather dull.
Appearance: Mei is a slim, petite Asian girl (~ 5'3", 100 lbs). Her black hair is bobbed short, and she typically wears dark clothing.
Abilities: Mei specializes in stealth tactics, a task which is assisted by her Sorcerer granting her a Robe of Invisibility. (Will probably add one more Gift when I can figure out what's useful for her.) She carries a number of concealed weapons, but her weapon of choice is a blowgun equipped with coated darts capable of sleep, paralysis, poison, etc.

Cloak of Invisibility - Maya's original Gift to Mei, this allows Mei to become invisible. It is also connected to an alternate dimension, which means that Mei cannot be hit by any attacks that remain solely within the dimension in which the Contenders/Sorcerers/Champions are fighting. She can also become insubstantial when using the cloak.

The Consuming Shadow - Formerly Maya's Gift to Frank, this is a supernatural cloak of darkness which automatically seeks out and consumes hostile magic in the vicinity. It seems to be sentient, and knows how to selectively target magic which threatens either Mei or Maya. It is normally hidden within Mei's own shadow, but can manifest as dark trails of energy emanating from her feet when active. Mei can also use it to send out projectiles of Shadow, so any Sorcerer who touches it is temporarily converted into a Normal, any Gifts that touch it temporarily lose their power, and any Champion in Transcend who touches it is pulled out of the Transcend. The Consuming Shadow is made from Ã†thermancy and is therefore subjected to the same restrictions.

Background: Mei was just another unwanted girl in China under the One Child Policy. She was thus abandoned at birth and left on the streets to die. Fortunately (or unfortunately), she was picked up by one of the Triads and displayed enough physical aptitude to avoid being thrown into a brothel. Instead, she was raised to be one of their agents, specializing in covert operations, intelligence-gathering, and assassination.

With the start of the War of Magic, a stranger came to purchase the loyalty of someone with her skills from the Triad. After testing several agents, he eventually chose Mei, and so she went on to become a Champion of (insert some Asian-ish name here when I think of it, unless someone wants to adopt her into their group xD).

I'll hop in on this one too. ^.^ I'll take the role of Ice's master. If anyone else would like to fall in as my champion from the start feel free to ask.

===This character was created a while back, so I'll try to adapt everything to fit the scenario. Thus, I've cut some things and might have missed parts.===

Name: Altruis Black

Appearance: 5'11. His eyes are a radiant, riveting deep purple with small flecks of white scattered through the iris. He has short cut, rough, dark brown hair in a shaggy, spiky manner. He is of average height and built wiry. He is far stronger than his appearance gives way to. His lack of body fat pulls out the definition in his every muscle, defining him well. He has very distinctive features. His eyes stand from his slightly tanned, white skin, and are rather gentle. He wears white, dress style pants with rich blue hemming and stitches. A blue strip lines the length of the pants on the outside of both legs. He wears a black, thin undershirt, and a white leather jacket with blue strips running up the sides and on the bottom of the sleeves and from the shoulder along the top. He wears it open to show the contrast of the black to the white and blue. His shoes are a white pair of loafers fitting his attire.

Abilities: He has all the powers of a mage. His primary form of magic is "monomagic", a style of spells that was created by himself at a young age. He is unique in that he is one of few who can use this style, and he needs no other style of magic EX: Destruction, white, black, summoning, physical, buff, as his own consists of all other forms and he can alter the nature of "monomagic" to whatever spell he chooses.

Personality: Altruis is a rather out spoken, level headed person. He has a great sense of leadership and once he is set to something, he is not easily deterred. He is a very friendly person and open minded, but not a fool. He is loyal to allies and enemies alike. An ally will always have his support, and an enemy shall be removed from his path at all costs. He is stronger than he often credits himself, and with a photographic memory, he is also more intelligent than most.

History: Altruis was born to a family of powerful, well to do mages. His mother was a summoner and his father was an avid user of destruction magic. Altruis was exposed to magic at very early ages and showed great signs. In time, he became a prodigy. 
He excelled in everything magic. He was a sickly child, often bed ridden or unable to take the strain of using many magics that required physical work, such as summoning, however, although his physical strength and stamina were weak at this age, his brain was far beyond his years.
At the age of twelve he created a new style of magic called monomagic. It pulled all the knowledge he'd learned so far into one form that didn't require him to use physical means to cast magic anymore, but only required his voice and excess of magical energy, which he was capable of.

He remained sickly until the age of fifteen. Despite now being physically capable, he continued to further the monomagic, expounding upon its degree and use. 

At nineteen, he left the family and began travels, keeping his magic hidden while also furthering his skills. The thought of champions was rather brutish to him, but Cody was an exception, seeing something of himself in the young man. He took him in and granted him the Gifts to become a champion at his side.

Am I correct in assuming that Monomagic basically means you can use every kind of magic? (Which is fine, the Contenders are supposed to be the 13 best in the world after all, just confirming.)

Also it's probably my bad, should've made it more obvious in Setting, but the existence of Sorcerers isn't common knowledge, so there is no mage unit in the army.

Name: Cody Merdona

Personality: Very prideful but also very strategic. He has no problem in social situations but he doesn't prefer the company of too many people, at least not all at once. This only helps prove the fact that he doesn't get close to too many people, but those he does get close to are people who gain his protection. He severely dislikes not knowing things and goes to every length to find needed information. He can be quite aggressive, though. He stands at about 6' and weighs roughly 180. With a life of nothing but work, his muscles are fine-tuned, his arms and abdomen of the strongest from constant lifting in various jobs.

Appearance: His brown eyes seem to have the slightest red mixed in with them, making them quite beautiful when the light hits them right. They match his fiery attitude. He usually wears his white flannel shirt, buttoned all the way except for the top button, and blue jeans with a black belt and his black boots. He also wears a round orange stone around his neck. The necklace is made with black leather and swirls about the stone to keep it from being able to fall out. His hair is a light brown shade just shaggy enough to be able to shadow his eyes but not long enough to touch them.

Abilities: As stated before, he gets close to few and all those he comes in contact with as enemies don't tend to survive to tell of what they've learned. It is suspected that the sword he wears in a placid red sheath has some ability to nullify direct magic attacks to it. It has also been rumored that, should harm come to the sword, it may regenerate itself. However, the other gift has no signs and it is doubted that a second gift even exists. But by the odd condition the dead bodies he leaves behind is found in, some people still believes a second exists.

Background: Cody grew up poor just like the rest of his family, working on a farm from sunup to sundown every day. He rarely had time for friends and so became very family-oriented. At the age of 18, though, he decided he really had no interest in continuing his family's work and his family took the rejection fairly well, as he had one younger brother, younger only by 2 years, who very much wanted to continue the farm. However, saying goodbye to a child who wanted to leave to find something more for himself was as hard as ever for this closely-tied family and it was with a heavy heart that he left. Still, he makes an effort to write them often and call them as much as he can.

He worked hard for every coin he owns, doing various odd and end jobs that others didn't have the will to do, and often for a very low pay. But, it was money and food in his stomach. He traveled from town to town until he could afford to begin staying in motels, finally being able to buy himself a horse to make his constant journeying easier on him.  But one can only push for so long. It wasn't until he met Altruis Black that his life seemed to get better by more than just ten dollars every couple of days. The sorcerer took a liking to Cody fast, his ability to not only work but also his quick and cunning mind. Giving promises and powers, Cody swore his loyalty to the man for hope of a good life with money to spare for his family, knowing how badly their small farm was struggling with bills and proper mechanics.

You would most certainly be correct. And I'll edit the character. Thanks for letting me know. (^.^)b

Everyone's playing Champions... At this rate almost all our Contenders will end up as NPCs or cannon fodder.

I'm playing a Contender, will get my character up soon.

1 person likes this

Don't worry, my Contender is just as important as my Champion :D I'll post up a profile for her later

Guess I'll play a Contender too. Profile will be up later, when I get home.

Any contenders want to adopt my champion so I don't have to invent a name? /lazy

I can tweak her if you'd like, too.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead