Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bleck

Ask Bleck Things

43 posts in this topic

Are you visiting us for Halloween? *twiddly fingers*

I'm pretty sure everything I need to take care of will be in order by then - and in the off chance that it's not, I'll probably visit as soon as possible afterwards regardless.

1 person likes this

Thief, because being able to big chunks of the game at a time is amazing.

What is your favourite video game that has been released within the last...6 months?

Pokemon X/Y, with Ace Attorney 5 in a close second. Note that, as far as I'm concerned, these are the only two games to have come out in the past six months.

When playing as Thresh, do you ever get frustrated that your teammates never click on your lanturn?

1 person likes this

Favorite character in Dark Souls? Is it Oscar? And if so - why? Or why to whoever it ends up being.

After some thought, I am going to have to go with Oscar - what I like about Oscar is that he, very early on in the game, represents some of what the game is secretly about.

Spoilers from here on out.

Some of the game is about futility and a cynical view of society.

There are only two real facets to Oscar; he fails his quest, and he implores you to continue on in his stead. Immediately, this sets you up for what happens in the end. 

Failing his quest, which is ostensibly to heal the world of undeath, is exactly what you do in the end (you either link the fire, which actually forces undeath to continue, or don't, which dooms everyone to the same fate as Oolacile, in which case being undead no longer matters in comparison to everyone slowly becoming monsters). If you're like me, you went through the whole game thinking that you were saving the world, when in reality, you're not, regardless of the ending you choose.

And when he implores you to continue on for him, it not only spurs the story into motion, but characterizes most of your future interactions with other characters in the game; the large majority of the other characters in the game all want something from you. What they want ranges from relatively benign things like being freed from a cage to sinister things like manipulating you into prolonging the Age of Fire, or etc.

The underlying message seems to be, at times, that society is built precariously on moral foundations that inevitably crumble, and that people, despite often disguising their intentions as benevolent or altruistic, are essentially selfish at the core; what what they want from other people will always be the primary source of their actions, and as such a society based on the idea that altruism is the essential principle through which people should live their lives is doomed to fail.

In Dark Souls, the world is literally built on a crumbling foundation (it's sort of implied by the existence of 1) the Ash Lake, 2) the Great Hollow and 3) the Stone Dragon, that Lordran itself is a fake world built by the gods on top of the real world and that the Age of Ancients never really ended). The gods manipulated the populace at large into believing that they exterminated the dragons and led the world into a new age, when all they really did was carve out a place for people to exist above the dragons (in a place where they shouldn't be). Now the things that kept the gods in power are slowly eroding, and the events of the actual game are the gods making a final desperate attempt to further manipulate people (i.e, you) into sacrificing themselves for their sake. 

In one fell swoop, Oscar represents not only the negative ideals that permeate the social structure of the world, but the tragic inability to consciously recognize them. He's an early reflection of the player's overall existence during the game.

When playing as Thresh, do you ever get frustrated that your teammates never click on your lanturn?

Yes. Yes I do.

Apparently everyone thinks Thresh is overpowered because of the lantern, and nobody ever thinks to click on it. If I'm playing with friends they usually do because I yell "LANTERN, DUDE" and they're like "oh yeah, right".

Glad I'm not the only Thresh player that needs to whip some ass every now and again to get things done. 

But my question to you is how is it you can be so flippant? And so desireable?

That's a great reason (and summary), I never thought about it like that. Just reading about Dark Souls makes me want to play through it again.