Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TriOctium

Swarm Mystery [NIGHT PHASE 4]

734 posts in this topic

Yeah, the game would have worked a lot better with more players, as the game didn't last long enough for the Scientists to have any chance of winning.

The Scientist did have a chance of winning. DL played correctly by hiding in her room and identifying at least 2 Assimilateds. HH's attempt at deception and Robot-protection left her open to discovery if the group had trusted DL's ability. The fact that DL got two hits should have alerted the group something was up.

Of course, HH is also lucky I logged on earlier than DL that 3rd Day phase and came clean about my Assimilated status before DL announced her findings. If I had waited until she had called me out to come clean, the group might have decided to Exterminate me on the spot and possibly followed the Precognition trail to DD.

HH was most worried about DL's ability, I believe. It was potentially OP.

An ability that tells you exactly who's gonna be Assimilated should have been hideously broken. Perhaps if it were not something that could be used every turn or something that only triggered if the Psychic left their room...

But the old players managed a tour de force of bullshit-spewing and kept everyone off their backs. Well played, people.

I think in future we should return to the convention that someone must be voted to die each day. The innocents are too prone to hesitation when it is merely an option. Had they been forced to choose, they would have won, because they would have been forced to act against me and Eth rather than leaving us alive despite having ample evidence against us.

I think I'd agree that reaching Knowledge Level 6 for the Cure is quite impossible. However, for the other Knowledge levels, I think it's okay cuz some people can go up more than 1 Knowledge level at a time, in which case they might get too good in a short time.

I actually thought that being Assimilated wouldn't affect the progress of the Cure. I think that should happen; or even better, 1 of the requirements to making the Cure is to be Assimilated. But of course this Trait would be hidden from the Host.

I don't think we should make voting people out compulsory, cuz this makes DL too OP. What I propose instead is that the Host doesn't know the Assimilated's Traits, so they have to spend a Night Phase telling him in a Message. Coordination will thus be rockier among the Swarm and this evens things out.

The only person who goes up more than one Knowledge level at a time is the one who wants the Host to win. -cough-

The maximum that could have been possible for Scientists in this game besides wst was 5 after the final night phase, with no chance to investigate. And that would only have been DD with his first Trait; everyone else would have capped at 4.

I'd have to say no to compulsory Extermination as well. People's unwillingness to exterminate was definitely a huge problem, but requiring extermination means hitting innocents and screwing themselves over in the early stages when there isn't enough information and the odds are stacked against them.

I don't think the Assimilated should have gotten an extra turn on the night they were assimilated. I assumed they were informed immediately prior to the day phase that they had been Assimilated during the night, because the way it was done made it that much easier for them to get ahead of the Scientists, since they likely wouldn't reveal anything important that they'd learned before their Assimilation and still had a chance to do even more after. And I didn't know the Host received all their data--definitely don't agree with that.

I also agree that through the course of the game I had found that the information gathering through Knowledge was too hard for the Scientists. Truthfully if everyone hadn't spent their first turns in their rooms, and had actively killed Assimilated players each day phase, the same cap of 5 Knowledge would have been a lot more accessible. But I would say that it is indeed difficult to reach 5.

I was trying out a lot of new concepts with this game, and I was prepared that something would end up imbalanced. Keep the feedback going, I'll take note of everything to implement for future games.

Did you guys like the Assimilation mechanic, where the Evil Side converts players rather than kill them? Or do you prefer the vanilla Mafia killing style?

The innocents tend to do better when they kill off people, even if they choose randomly. This is the second game in a row that not killing people off has led to the innocents losing and not even getting close to the true bad guy(s). Also it is boring, even being a bad guy, when nobody wants to vote anyone off. There's a reason the game originally has it compulsory.

Also it is hardly an issue the host got the details of assimilated. In past games we'd have got to talk freely via pm. It was more difficult this way.

And the "extra turn" of a night didn't really let us do much. All the scientist actions are pretty useless to us, it just gave a chance to PM the swarm.

It was helpful for me because I wanted to know the Swarm Host's identity, hopefully letting me cover them. But then she murdered Sanzi and I couldn't be useful. Awww.

I thought the Assimilation mechanic is good. Lets people play on longer than they otherwise would have. And it creates a pretty nice kind of tension with the Immunity trait, since there was a chance (albeit a small one) that the Host would try to Assimilate the wrong person.

I think Exterminating should have required only a majority from the start. Requiring half the number of players to vote one way is a tad too ambitious.