HerculeHastings

Digital Perms

31 posts in this topic

Urghh I got so annoyed seeing my own hair through the reflection on my laptop screen that I needed to post this. So I got a digital perm on Wednesday, which was supposed to make the ends of my hair curl inward a bit so it didn't look flat, cuz I don't have very much hair. When the perm was done, the curls were a bit limp, but I didn't think much about it. But when I get up the next day, the curls got all messed up. Like my hair started to stick out instead of in, so it's a criss-cross. And then later in the day it just looked messy and flyaway.

So now I'm just feeling terribly vexed cuz I'm not used to such loose hair and it's difficult to comb and I probably look like a mad lady (okay maybe not, but I'm not in a good mood) and I'm wondering how long these things will stay, or should I find some way to undo this. If even at all possible.

I guess my hair's just not suited to perming. And I probably just damaged it all for nothing. Sigh.

Fear not, Hercule! Hair is actually fairly resilient, and bounces back fairly easily, if taken proper care of. I wouldn't worry too terribly much about it. Just make sure to condition a bit more, since perms suck out moisture and such. 

Hmm maintenance is still needed if you wanna keep the shape of the style

Blow drying with a round brush will help tips stay curled in, provided you blow dried the ends inwards, of course

Hair that is fine and light tends to lift, so maybe that's whats happening for yyou ( assuming you have slightly wavy natural hair)

Lazy can be good!

Speaking of lazy...OMG the chairs at the movie theater today. So awesome. <3 I wanted to take one home. XD

What's the different between a digital perm and a perm? A perm they put chemicals in so that it will stay curly for a really long time, right?

Aw that sucks, Herc! :\

I graduated from beauty school a few years ago and I remember perms being the trickiest thing to get right. 

I would suggest calling the place you had it done and explain you're unhappy with the results. If they are a decent place, they will generally try to fix it or give you advice on what you can do to make it look/feel better. If nothing else, they should issue a refund if they can't fix it. 

In the meantime you can do protein/hot oil treatments once or twice a week to soften your hair. If you can get your hands on this product, it will help the damage over time. 

You can also curl your hair to "re-style" the perm. Just use the coolest temperature possible or ideally, leave your hair in curlers overnight. It's not a permanent solution but it might make you feel better while you figure out what to do. 

Hey Ack! I read that a digital perm was something invented by the Japanese for Japanese hair. And basically the hair kinda stays curly forever, though the curls seem less predictable than regular curls.

And Lady Riddel, thanks for the advice! I don't think the salon would really do anything though. It wasn't a high-class sort of place. XD And I bet they'll just insist my hair looks perfect and I need time to get used to it. Maybe I do. And maybe I really should use conditioner. I think if my hair doesn't tangle or frizz so much it's actually pretty manageable.

This thread makes me glad im a boy and I just get my hair cut with scissors and don't have to worry about this stuff.

I'm not FABULOUS enough to have long hair.

And I'm in the army. These matters are beyond my ken.

You could just need time to get used to it but never be afraid to speak up and let them know you aren't happy with the results, especially if you're still feeling this way in a week. Even a salon that isn't upscale should still care about the work they do and try to help you get to where you'd like to be with your new hair. 
And yes! Definitely use conditioner for your hair type and don't fuss with it too much. 

I used to have really long hair, like, down my back. But as I got older, I got tired with maintaining it and putting up with things like how long it takes to dry and brush and so on, and I ended up cutting it shorter and shorter and nowadays I just get a trimmer and shave it either pretty short, or on occasion i've been known to just shave bald, cus bald + beard looks good to me. But I can still understand your disappointment. As Riddel has said, all you can do is go back to them, they should respect your issue with your hair and at least advise you, but ideally they should fix it.

Thanks Valentine. Anyway I think my hair's become a bit more obedient today; the curls look just about right. So who knows, maybe it'll all work out after all!

Take it from the guy whose hair garners the question of, "Do you get it permed all the time?" Amazing hair is destined only to those who are worthy. Some a fabled to have perfect hair from day one. Others, well, not so much. Just be patient young HH.

1 person likes this

Words are for poets. 

Go back there and tell them to fix your hair. Through the medium... of fists.

large.gif

Cat-Fight.gif

Since you're talking about hair...

I'd like to say that AVACADOS, EGGS AND OLIVE OIL are the BEST products to tame anything. Seriously. Despite, of course, the fact that you'll end up smelling like rotten pumpkins in the morning... THE VISUAL AND TANGIBLE RESULTS ARE GREAT.

plus it's all natural and you won't be risking anything.. Unless you're allergic to any listed above.

When I got a digital perm in China- I just went out and bought scrunch spray. I shower and with damp hair- I put in the scrunch spray. Perfect curls until next wash :)

You're serious? I've never heard that.

Of course, all you do is slice an avocado in half, scoop out the innards onto a plate or in a bowl, save the other half, add on table spoon of olive oil (or more if your hair is really dry or damaged), add egg whites (optional) and mix together. Then comb your hair of any tangles, spread a towel over your shoulders and just scoop it out with your hands and gently distribute evenly over all of your hair. I'd say put more at the ends than at the scalp because it tends to get extremely oily and weighs down the hair and wiping more toward the ends can also rid you of split ends over time. Finally, wear a shower cap over your head with all of your hair inside and go to sleep. Wake up, wash out with your regular hair care routine and tada! Shiny, soft, naturally perfect hair is the result and much stronger too~

If avocados smell too bad or they are annoying to buy or whatever, olive oil will do for whenever you do wash hair. It's not as heavy as other oils and will not take excessive amounts of shampoo to wash out (which can leave dry and brittle hair)

Fun fact: Drink plenty of water daily (if you can, one gallon - 16 8ounce bottles). This will (clearly as water is everything's remedy) leave long term effects of great hair!

And I'm done. ;;

I'd like to see the day when HELIX washes his hair with raw eggs and avocados overnight. XD

I don't need the recipe. I have naturally silky hair~