Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seanzilla

RPG Feedback Thread

32 posts in this topic

The first episode of the DMO adventure is about to wrap up and I felt like this is a good time to ask for feedback. It would be of great help if anyone who participated could answer some questions to help me improve future installments.

• What was your favourite part of the RPG?
  • What was your least favourite part of the RPG?
  • What changes would you make to the way the game is played?

Personally I felt that combat was a bit slow, mostly due to the fact that turns had to be posted. I had two ideas to solve it:

1. We complete the entire encounter and I'll make a list of all the events during that fight. Once we're done everyone posts what their own character went through in one post. This way everyone makes 1 post per player per encounter instead of 1 per player per turn.
  2. We complete a round and then 1 person posts all the actions of that round. Players decide for themselves who this person will be or we set an order to decide who's turn it is for the post. This way there will be 1 post per round instead of 1 per player per turn.

Which would you prefer? What would you add or change to improve on it?

Combat was fun till it started dragging out due to schedules and whatnot. Other than that, no other issues ~ 

I'd prefer Option 2, so things can happen in chronological order. Makes it easier to read, and it'd feel like a nice summary. Most of us (actually, maybe just me) will be spamming the same couple skills/heals throughout the entire fight anyway; if I had to do up a post detailing all of my repeated actions it'd bore everyone to death. We could just work on an honor system - whoever's free or will be free could post up the encounter summary. Seems fair ~

Also there'd be a lot of content repetition if we went with Plan A and had like 5 different perspectives of the exact same encounter  :ph34r: 

I actually have found the RP posting is probably the least favourite part. Particularly during combat, none of us are really trying that much with those posts. And that was always the bit lagging behind, so clearly we were more eager to do the stuff than to actually post it. Like, if one reads back over the RP, its really not a great read, and there's a bunch of details that were missed along the way. The fun was had as we played it, there's really not that element left in the attempts to record it.

So I would actually suggest we cut the RP posting part entirely, and run it like the forum games. Just the OOC thread part, where we can put our actions and all and do random bits of RPing there as we like (like the murder/swarm mystery game). Because really the most fun part is the sort of stuff that goes on in Skype, rather than the RP posting.

I've thought about that as well. My main issue would be that it would stop being a 'forum project,' as Noia describes it and just becomes a game hosted on Skype. I wouldn't really mind that, though, as it would probably become a lot faster paced.

Well the way to counteract that is just to have more of it conducted on the forum I suppose. Like, if we didn't have Skype, we could still likely maintain the same pace just going post by post in a discussion thread on here. It's just Skype is more instant and has notifications and all. That may even be more necessary because while this Skype group coincided often, and indeed we probably could run it entirely on Skype/roll20, not all future groups may.

I discussed it Noia, see if there was a way to make it work without being a drag and the idea she came up with was basically:

The OOC thread is used for Recruiting.
The IC thread is used for First-Person RPing, you are your character telling me what you want to do. (Similar to the Nations game. With RPing a short message after the RP telling me what Skill you used and the Roll results.) In Combat everyone would just post their actions and at the end of the round I'd put them all in order and edit the board to effect the round.

This way it'd move a lot closer to the Nations game.

That sounds good. Although it's somewhat the same situation of having to post actions again, assuming Skype is still involved. Unless you mean it would be like the Nations game in that everything would be conducted in the thread

Pretty much, yea. Cutting Skype out, following Nations Game's posting system.

The Nations game posting system is also terribly slow. As of now we have taken 10 turns in total (50AD), which I believe would have only gotten us to the end of the second encounter if we had used the same thing for DnD.

I wouldn't mind it being held mostly on roll20/Skype, even if the forums were only used for OOC recruitment or character data compilation purposes.

The difference is Nations game had 7 players and 1 GM, and people had to edit and post maps and all. With 4 players and 1 GM, that's already almost half the participants, and turns don't require as much thought, nor do GM updates.

Even at twice the speed (with half the participants) we'd probably have ended the first quest around now as well, which doesn't make the game much faster. A bigger change is needed to run the game at a considerably faster speed, in my opinion.

Actually what's wrong with hosting the whole thing on roll20? I thought it was a great platform for DnD.

There is nothing wrong with it, and I wouldn't mind it.

It would simply stop being a forum project.

Yea we can just completely move away from the forum and host it entirely on roll20/skype, then use S*T as a place to hold records and details but ... it's pretty unfair to the webmistress. This entire project was originally supposed to be open to the whole forum anyway, it doesn't sound right to have all the action happen elsewhere.

There is always going to be a limit on speed because of differing availabilities. I just think it'd go faster on the forum because people can do their thing whenever they're around, rather than needing to have people online on Skype.

That said, roll20 could be used since you can leave messages there without anyone needing to be online to transmit them along to others, like Skype needs. However, I still wouldn't imagine it'd be faster. Like, we'd have to manually make a point of checking that site to see if anything has gone on. At least if its on the forum, we'll see it easier.

Moreover, I think having it on the forum would serve to make it known more, and help draw in/inspire more participants and GMs to get involved. If it's totally off-site, it may as well not exist to everyone else.

Well I don't mind if we take our turns and rolls in skype and whatever, but I like the posts on the forum. The battles were/are a bit boring to read/write at this point so I agree with only posting one post per round, Where one person just describes everyone's moves with a little flavour, and switch around the person who writes that. Because honestly, it's hard to stay creative while writing about the same move (twin strike) a dozen times.

So I say we use skype and whatnot as we have so far, put together battle sequences as 1 post per round and just keep the dialogue posts as they are at this moment (I really liked the town posts).

(I really liked the town posts).

There'll be a lot more events and encounters like that from now on

On that note, I liked the ending with the various athletics/acrobatics skill challenges, with different routes and all.

There was one more of those in the dungeon, an interrogation, but you guys picked a route that avoided it XD

I'll put the event in the next adventure though

Yeah too bad I read the escape thing too late, so I just had to roll a bunch of times.

Well that's another reason to do more on the forums rather than via Skype. While Skype can be faster, people can get left behind like that.

Yeah for the sake of being nice to Ack and archiving and for anyone who feels like reading it, we should still post on forum.

Aight then I vote for option 1. It sounds a lot faster to me than option 2 or doing it Nations-style.

If anyone has any other ideas to keep it from becoming super slow feel free to share them. Even rules like "You have to take 1 action per 24 hours or someone else takes it for you" stuff help.

If anyone has any other ideas to keep it from becoming super slow feel free to share them. Even rules like "You have to take 1 action per 24 hours or someone else takes it for you" stuff help.

this was actually suggested in my group but it still ended up a flop with Asura mia and it still didn't help people get motivated on taking their turns. also, it made posting kinda a mess as we were trying to incorporate posts of people who were mia or just hadn't posted yet and we needed something to go on with the story.

as someone who has never (but really wanted to) play a DnD game, it was really fun learning and getting used to all the rules and mechanics but because it was so slow paced it was hard for me to remember what i just learned a few days before.

I think the whole summarising each conflict in 1 post would be better. The roleplaying part was more fun outside of the battles where we could roam freely and do our own thing. During the battles it was the dice rolling and tactics that was fun, so a quick battle summary would be best if you ask me.